THE BATMOBILE THREAD

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by TheIronist, Feb 22, 2019.

1. godisawesome Registered

There's a part of me that kind of wants a bulky, less stylish muscle car look, something that seems less sci-fi or even "tacti-cool" than the Tumblr. Like someone just took a Mustang and made it into an unholy beast.

I have to confess my thought process for this idea is pretty much locked into a super-early Batman who's not yet fully formed, with the first Batmobile being something like a hood's suped-up vehicle he stole and then modified further out of neccessity.

shinlyle likes this.
  2. shinlyle King of the Haters

As a Chevy guy, I would go for a Camaro, but I totally agree. The Batmobile needs to be a little more believable. Also, I want one Bruce could feasibly modify and work on himself. I don't want a Lucius Fox character who invents all the tech for him. I would love to see Bruce doing his own work. I would almost rather see him buy up an older car or a wrecked car and modify/retro-mod it. Let him armor it up, but don't make it "bomb-proof" (batman 1989) or have it crashing through concrete pillars (Begins). Have it something formidable, fast, and without machine guns. I'm imagining a hybrid of Mad Max's car mixed with a little Tumbler and a little Batman 1989 flair. Just my take.

Not for nothing, but my son thinks a Camaro ZL1 1LE is the Batmobile. He said that's what Batman would drive. Me personally, I would pull off the Chevy emblems (to differentiate it from the Transformers films Bumblebee...we don't want too much association with anything Michael Bay oriented)., modify the grille substantially, and join the rear wing. Maybe some fender flares with some weld/bolts showing to add a little more "steampunk" or "hand-made" look to it, and ditch the side view mirrors with some more tank-slit-looking side-windows and bulletproof glass, which you can actually buy. The rear exhaust could still be rigged to ignite in order to blast flames out the back, and potential offensive capabilities (all that takes is a spark module in the tail pipe, as exhaust CAN still burn if the fuel is rich enough), and then someone who is far better at this stuff can make it less Camaro and more "BATMAN". Also, Matte/Satin Black is the only color that should even be discussed for any part of it.

Ahem...just suggestions.

[​IMG]

MadderMaximus and godisawesome like this.
  3. BobJM Uncle Charlie

I agree with posters here saying that the next Batmobile should be more focused on speed, and less tank-like.

Just some images below that have stood out to me:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mani-Man, TheGuy and Astro13Zombie like this.
  4. cryptic name No Limits

The first Batmobile in Hush, if you dial those fins back, is a pretty good template for a mix between a tough muscle car kind of look and something more stylized and high tech.
    [​IMG]

5. TheVileOne Registered

I just want to look at it and know right off the bat it's the Batmobile.

Sorry, but the Tumbler never did that for me.

OutOfBoose likes this.
  6. Abudefduf Registered

[​IMG]

I wouldn't mind something similar to the Telltale Batmobile. There are a few things I would change about it, but overall it's a very good design.

7. old city outlaw Registered

Pontiac Phantom Concept (1977)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Jig96v, Lencho01, 3rdstone and 4 others like this.
  8. cryptic name No Limits

I like that alot.

9. DKDetective Problem Eliminator

That first one is the money. I don't think there is ever any going back to a purely civilian sportscar design after the Tumbler. This is perfect because it looks like a fusion between the Tumbler, a rear engine Lamborgini, and a Formula One race car.

Hunter Rider likes this.
  10. ArmsHeldOut James K. Delaney

11. TheGuy Dwelling under the Batcave

12. B [insert witty comment]

I'd like sort of a hybrid combination between Burton's Batmobile & Nolan's Tumbler

Snyder's Batmobile was a step in the right direction

[​IMG]

But even though I liked that Batmobile, still looked a little too functional.

If I used Snyder's as a starting point I'd tuck the wheels & give them an arch, at least the front ones anyway so it has more of an The Animated Series of Batman feel at the front

[​IMG]

I'd somehow try to make it look a little more sleek as well, but still make it look like it was built to be further improved.. particularly if this is an early Batman, it needs to have a bit of a functional look about it considering you'd expect it to be something he'd refine further down the line.

13. C Prometheus Registered

I really dig the look of that first Batmobile design. It's a nice throwback to the Burton and BTAS Batmobiles, while also altering it a bit to have a little more of a 1940's look in the rear end of the car.

I also really dig the look of the Telltale Batmobile too.

Nemeres, ArmsHeldOut and antsman41 like this.
  14. TheComicbookKid Swing n Miss

Since this is early in his career, it would be cool if he hasn’t gotten the Batmobile yet and was only using the batcycle and glider.

15. ArmsHeldOut James K. Delaney

I just hope they get away from the Tumbler-esque approach to these vehicles and give us a proper Batmobile again.

Astro13Zombie likes this.
  16. TheGuy Dwelling under the Batcave

Best design posted here so far.

Astro13Zombie likes this.
  17. BobJM Uncle Charlie

This is perfect. Add some cool gadgets, and you're set. This is very much in tune with the high-end civilian cars I posted earlier. Good for Telltale for getting so much of the aesthetic right (can't comment on story as I haven't played/seen it).

18. Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

The coolest part about that batmobile is that it transforms from a regular car into that.

19. rockandrollsoul Registered

Personally, I'm not into the Lamborghini look or the a 30's art deco style for a modern setting. While the Tumbler was atrocious, I like the utilitarian approach for the Batmobile (that goes for the suit and gadgets as well). For me, the Snyder-mobile was really close.

20. Rorschach2012 Hi Freeze, I’m Batman

I really couldn’t stand Snyder’s Batmobile. I think it’s the worst that we’ve had from all the Batman movies. I even prefer the BF and B&R Batmobiles to the Snyder one. Sure it looked functional, but it was ugly. The Tumbler was functional, and it looked amazing.

Elayis likes this.
  21. Travesty Registered

I like this one a lot. I think it needs a bit more of a Batmotif in the rear-end, but I like the overall concept.

22. rockandrollsoul Registered

I feel the exact opposite about the Tumbler and the Snyder mobile, but to each their own

FatRobin likes this.
  23. Elayis Registered

The most important aspect of the Batmobile is that it should never be confused with a regular car. Too many Batman artists (even Jim Lee) take a lazy approach and just slap some wings on a Lamborghini.

It'd also be nice if it was a fully functioning vehicle. The Tumbler might not be the most comic accurate, but almost every stunt in TDKT was done for real. I never understood why Snyder took the time to design and build a Batmobile and then replace it with CGI in almost every shot. It's time to move beyond Batmobile's that can't corner worth a damn.

That said, I did like how Snyder's managed to straddle the line between elegance and functionality. The Batmobile obviously needs to be nice looking, but you also have to buy that it could withstand the damage that comes with high-speed chases. The Tumbler was too much of a tank, but the Burton/Schumacher versions looked like show cars.

No Batmobile design that I've seen has ever nailed it perfectly for me, but the Capullo and Arkham Asylum designs come pretty close:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Jig96v, C Prometheus and FatRobin like this.
  24. Rorschach2012 Hi Freeze, I’m Batman

The Arkham Asylum Batmobile has always been a favorite of mine. If they extended the left and right fins a bit, it would be perfect

25. TheGuy Dwelling under the Batcave