BvS The Batsuit Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lex using a powersuit always feels like a cop-out, to me, but it is more allowable because he has been Superman's nemesis since forever and it represents perhaps the only way to engineer a physical confrontation between them. The first and only meeting of Batman and Superman on screen shouldn't be marred by such lazy writing.

The show-down with Superman is not the most beloved part of TDKReturns, but even so, Batman made more use of surface to air missiles, sonar, massive electric currents, kryptonite and Green Arrow than he did of his bulky suit. Unless you want to see a retread of all of that, the extra armour remains pointless.

I'm going more on TDKReturns animated film :)

When Clark slammed Bruce into the wall, he would've been dead if he wasn't wearing that armour :o

Haven't seen it, so can't say, but the point is that Clark probably slammed Bruce into the wall because he knew he was wearing armour and that the impact wouldn't kill him.

Zero Year has been awesome.

It's such a great new angle on how he became Batman, it almost enough to makes me want another origin movie :cwink:

It's actually surprising that Scott Snyder seems to be returning to form given the past year and a half of crap (though it can be forgiven as it was editorially mandated).

I have spent some time thinking about what the minimum spec would have to be for an armour that would be of at least some limited use to Batman in combat with Superman.

I think it would look something like this:

HMS_Invincible_1799474c.jpg

It would probably only buy Batman a few seconds, however.

Indeed.

In The Dark Knight Returns, Superman had just been nuked and napalmed with kryptonite when he fought Batman--and, critically, Batman wasn't trying to win the fight. He was there to commit suicide by Superman. The suit was only ever a stopgap measure. Yeah, he knocked him around a little, but there was never any way he was going to put him down.

So unless Batman is going to drop a nuclear weapon on Superman beforehand, this seems like a pretty fruitless endeavour. Even if Batman was in a full blown Iron Man suit, it wouldn't matter.

It shouldn't be a fist fight. Of course, it absolutely will be a fist fight--this is Zack Snyder we're talking about, so let's not kid ourselves. Ill-advised fist fights are his bread and butter.

So, that being said, it'll really hinge on the mechanics of Kryptonite in this universe. Since they've already established that Superman's powers can be neutralized under incredibly dubious conditions (how would the conditions of the Black Zero make him easier to cut? Atmosphere won't magically make him less dense--he may have become sick or ill, but not less durable), it may be a situation where kryptonite severely limits his powers.

They can't be completely negated, though, because then there can't be a fist fight. A fist fight between Batman and a depowered Superman would be pointless, and needlessly cruel on the part of Batman. A powerless Clark Kent couldn't touch Batman.

I don't know, an inappropriate fist fight between Batman and Superman (also known as a Zack Snyder Special) would have really tickled my fancy when I was seventeen... but now much less so. I love god-tier prep-time Batman to death, but I'm a lot more interested in seeing him outsmart the gods than punch them in their faces.

Haven't seen it, so can't say, but the point is that Clark probably slammed Bruce into the wall because he knew he was wearing armour and that the impact wouldn't kill him.
I get what you mean.

In TDKReturns, Bruce wore the armour because he wanted a physical battle with Clark.
He wanted to get Clark weak enough, so he could get close and grab him by the throat and utter that infamous line.

I expect that to be in this movie, so I reckon Bruce will do something to him in order to say the same thing.

You mean this?

tumblr_mss0bnegoM1s7g1zqo1_1280.jpg

Now if only someone would start drawing the longer ears on a regular basis.

The fact that nobody, anywhere is drawing the cowl with long ears anymore makes me suspect that DC is much more heavily enforcing their "character model," short ears and all. Sad. I like variety.

The fact that nobody, anywhere is drawing the cowl with long ears anymore makes me suspect that DC is much more heavily enforcing their "character model," short ears and all. Sad. I like variety.

Me too. Especially the LONG ears. As long as they aren't the three foot high ears.
1510630-batman2.jpg

:woot:

Indeed.

In The Dark Knight Returns, Superman had just been nuked and napalmed with kryptonite when he fought Batman--and, critically, Batman wasn't trying to win the fight. He was there to commit suicide by Superman. The suit was only ever a stopgap measure. Yeah, he knocked him around a little, but there was never any way he was going to put him down.

So unless Batman is going to drop a nuclear weapon on Superman beforehand, this seems like a pretty fruitless endeavour. Even if Batman was in a full blown Iron Man suit, it wouldn't matter.

It shouldn't be a fist fight. Of course, it absolutely will be a fist fight--this is Zack Snyder we're talking about, so let's not kid ourselves. Ill-advised fist fights are his bread and butter.

So, that being said, it'll really hinge on the mechanics of Kryptonite in this universe. Since they've already established that Superman's powers can be neutralized under incredibly dubious conditions (how would the conditions of the Black Zero make him easier to cut? Atmosphere won't magically make him less dense--he may have become sick or ill, but not less durable), it may be a situation where kryptonite severely limits his powers.

They can't be completely negated, though, because then there can't be a fist fight. A fist fight between Batman and a depowered Superman would be pointless, and needlessly cruel on the part of Batman. A powerless Clark Kent couldn't touch Batman.

I don't know, an inappropriate fist fight between Batman and Superman (also known as a Zack Snyder Special) would have really tickled my fancy when I was seventeen... but now much less so. I love god-tier prep-time Batman to death, but I'm a lot more interested in seeing him outsmart the gods than punch them in their faces.

Exactly. which is why I have my extreme doubt that there is going to be any kind of physical confrontation between the two (and that goes for any "versus" titling), It's lazy writing, and I would hope Snyder and Goyer could come up with something less old hat than the "heroes fight, then team up" cliché.

I reckon they'll fight. Only because of TDKReturns line Lennix recited. ..

If they really do fight, it should be like how they did it in Brave and the Bold, showing how easy it is for Superman to beat Batman. I mean, straight up laughing and then back handing him. Oh, and don't bring up Ma Kent...

Batman shouldn't be an idiot and dive straight into a fight without being prepared with a plan and tactics. He's dealing with a superpowered alien, with no real known weaknesses.

But I suspect, in someway, they'll write something which will enable Batman to physically battle Superman.

There could be Kryptonite meteorites. Or somebody could synthesize it.

The Government or Lexcorp, or even Wayne Enterpries would probably try to think of a weakness against Superman, for whatever reason.

Even WITH a leveled playing field, I want it to be clear who would win if Supes wasn't holding back. I eventually want the titular character to snap, and for the "fight" to kind of fizzle out.

Agreed. Although I have never gotten the appeal of the short ears anyways. The Frank Miller-style short ears, that Jim Lee and others seem to copy, just look too similar to Daredevil for my taste. Especially the Jim Lee version. I find that the long ears better match Batman's long, dragging cape.

Even WITH a leveled playing field, I want it to be clear who would win if Supes wasn't holding back. I eventually want the titular character to snap, and for the "fight" to kind of fizzle out.

Unlike TDKReturns, this isn't Batman's story. ..it's Superman's too.

I'd prefer if they did fight. Batman does gain the upper hand...he delivers the line...thinking he's won...then Supes leaps up and knocks Bruce straight out of victory mode.

And they both know that they're both powerful forces. ..but Bruce can't win and Clark doesn't want to win against him.

You mean this?

tumblr_mss0bnegoM1s7g1zqo1_1280.jpg

Yeah. That one.

It's just a plain grey suit. Not very inspiring :(

Not that plain to be honest and I'm not talking a direct translation. Just inspiration from it. To each their own I guess.

Edit: On top of that, I would love to see that suit make into Arkham Origins as an alternative suit. I liked how Arkham City rendered many of the alternate suits from the comics.

Last edited:
I was thinking of the current one, not that one :)

I actually like that, save the purple gloves :p

Hate to sound like a broken record , but I think the Batman Incorporated cowl is perfect for Affleck.
gaming_batman_inc_batsuit_skin.jpg
The ears aren't too short or too long in my opinion -- they're just about right. I don't mind ears that are somewhat long, but my concern is that Affleck is already a couple of inches taller than Cavill; with longer ears on the cowl, Affleck could very well tower over the Jersey-born actor. Of course, post-production adjustments can be applied to make the difference in height less noticeable, but I'm not 100% confident that such will be the case.

If they really do fight, it should be like how they did it in Brave and the Bold, showing how easy it is for Superman to beat Batman. I mean, straight up laughing and then back handing him. Oh, and don't bring up Ma Kent...

That would be abysmal, and highlights why a physical fight between the two is such a dreadful idea: if Batman wins, it's stupid; if Superman wins, he comes across as a bullying jerk.

That would be abysmal, and highlights why a physical fight between the two is such a dreadful idea: if Batman wins, it's stupid; if Superman wins, he comes across as a bullying jerk.

:hehe:

I feel that is exactly why they did it that way (with the excuse of Red K turning him into the Superdickery version of himself). A homage to Miller's TDKR while showing how dumb the idea of the two of them fighting is.

Indeed. I feel the inevitable fist fight (again, this is Snyder we're talking about) can only end with one of them looking like a chump. Batman losing is actually the decidedly worse outcome though, especially if this is to eventually roll into a Justice League film--if you make Batman look like he can't compete, then he'll look like he can't compete. If he tries to fight Superman and gets smacked around, what business does he have in a Justice League picture?

No, the only feasible way to play it is to write Batman as being too smart to fight Superman with his fists.

Indeed. I feel the inevitable fist fight (again, this is Snyder we're talking about) can only end with one of them looking like a chump. Batman losing is actually the decidedly worse outcome though, especially if this is to eventually roll into a Justice League film--if you make Batman look like he can't compete, then he'll look like he can't compete. If he tries to fight Superman and gets smacked around, what business does he have in a Justice League picture?

No, the only feasible way to play it is to write Batman as being too smart to fight Superman with his fists.

Maybe they will actually do it like Brave and the Bold. So, Superman's under some kind of influence (Red K or whatever) and Batman's forced to fight him until the effect is over. Or I guess something closer would be what they did with JLM (he was fighting Wonder Woman). But, I don't think they'll introduce Max Lord to start doing mind control on people.

Not winning and not competing are two COMPLETELY different things.

[YT]lC6dgtBU6Gs[/YT]

Montoya lost, but he held his own for much of the fight. And he was certainly a bit of a competition for the masked man, especially with his right hand ;) Batman need not win just to prove that he's a formidable fighter.

So is it safe to say that a grey Batsuit is a lock? I see them trying to separate from Nolan and other past armored black suits.

I wouldn't say it's even close to a lock, I think there's a pretty good chance we'll see grey, but we could very well get another black suit. Personally, as long as the design goes well with the color scheme they choose for Bats, I'm gonna be happy. though grey and black does deserve to finally have its moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"