BvS The Batsuit Thread - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I highly doubt Kevin Smith would have geeked out after seeing designs and mentioned 'Jim Lee' according to sources live at the podcast taping if it was going to be a combination of these suits.

That suit would only be acceptable if Kurtwood Smith plays Lex

particularly since that combo would nicely fit into the "matrixy black armor thing" that Smith specifically said the suit isn't.

Last edited:
The KC suit is cool and worked for that story. That being said, I don't think that is the right way to go. It does look very RoboCop.

And the Batman Beyond suit IS Batman. Just not Bruce's Batman.
I didn't read Kingdom Come, so can't comment on how it worked for the story. It looks like ass to me just from a design standpoint, but maybe the story is super gripping. I should give it a read.

As for Batman Beyond - I guess I don't consider anyone other than Bruce Wayne to BE Batman. Adopting the name Batman, even with Bruce Wayne's blessing, doesn't mean you are Batman, in my book. For example, say that Nirvana had continued after Kurt's death with the full legal right to do so and even with Kurt's blessing (this is morbid, I know)... I don't think that band would BE Nirvana. Sure, it's a band called Nirvana. But it's not *Nirvana.* That's my basic point. Batman Beyond is Batman, but not *Batman.*

Or maybe just not "your" Batman. But that doesn't make it any less Batman.
The campy, bright colour Batman is as much the character as is the Dark, Brooding loner version.

I know you seem to equate the blue color of some of the manips with being campy... but just tell me. Does this guy look campy to you? Or like a Dark, Brooding loner about to kick some serious ass? Who happens to recognize that midnight blue blends in better with a city at night...

batmannewsu1zn8.jpg

finalfleck.jpg

“I saw the Batman costume. More than that, I saw a picture of [Ben Affleck] in the costume…I don’t want to give anything away ’cause that is up to them and stuff, but I am going to say this…I instantly bear hugged [Snyder]. You have not seen this costume on film before. For a comic book fan, it was mind-bending… Because every other movie does this Matrix-y black armor thing…There wasn’t a single nipple on this suit. I think everyone is just gonna be like ‘Holy S**t!’ It’s its own thing. We haven’t been down this path before. Even the hardest core [most skeptical] person will be like ‘Alright, I’m ready.’…It seemed like it was very [Redacted] influenced.”

Im pretty sure the only posts Ive made in this thread have been to repost Kevin Smith's words.

Just found these somewhat cool pics. It's a company that makes leather replicas of TDKT suits for motorcyclists.

Like many here, I'm not a fan of how complicated and overwrought the Nolan-era suits were (and forget about the sausage-fingers gauntlets from BB)... but I think they look a lot better as form molded leather than the rubberized versions we got in the films.

248-380-crop-LOGOnomex-01.jpg

248-380-crop-untitled-6.jpg

118-181-crop-TDKR-14.jpg

I particularly like how they illustrate a plausible reality for how the hell Batman could get the outfit on by himself. Just one of the many things I didn't find realistic about TDKT was that the rubber suit looked impossible to suit up.

-800-height-TDKR-13.jpg

For my buck, they also got the boots done about a zillion times better than I remember them from the actual movies.

118-181-crop-batman-begins-pre-suit-boots.jpg

According to one of the costume designers, the boots were the one element of the suit that the design team felt like they couldn't nail - they used different boots for different shots. If you look closely, they are changing constantly throughout the series. (Also watch the first scene in TDK between Alfred and Bruce in the urban lair for some stunningly sloppy consistency in the edits)

I definitely think that motorcycle armor grade leather for the gauntlets, boots and cowl, nanotube/kevlar weave armor, with a possible gabardine oversuit over the armor (to reduce glare and lull enemies into a false sense of security) are the ways to go in terms of material. I'm also a big proponent of reinforced leather for the belt as opposed to molded plastic =P The one thing I thought TDKT got right in terms of material is whatever that supposed memory fabric was for the cape, as well as whatever metal was used for the blades on the gauntlet.

Also, I'm really hoping we get the batarang!

Note, they have a lot of the suit components in great detail, in many positions, so this is a great source for people who want to make manips.

A guy dressed like a bat, standing in the open, will always stand out.

Maybe it's because it's a manip, but that doesn't exactly scream espionage/stealth/etc. In fact, I'd go as far as to argue that the colour makes him stand out.

I think if you were to do an A/B comparison with the original image (at least the dark knight one), you'd see that the blue in that manip actually blends in a bunch better with the blue you see in the scene. I can certainly say that when you're doing it against a midnite night sky, the blue stands out a *lot* less than the black. Just open up an image of a blue-ish night sky in an urban setting and draw blue on it versus black.

Just as an example, here's a new manip I just did. The black stands out a lot more than the blue.

Bat-Fleck in Gotham:
batfleck52gotham.jpg

^ Affleck's a TOON!
tumblr_mb1lv8pEqy1qz8ca1o1_r1_1280.gif

But in all seriousness, you brought the 'Fleck back to comics.

Just seeing Cavill in the MOS promo art shows how comic-bookish the suits(and characters) are. I hope the same is with Ben.

^ Affleck's a TOON!

But in all seriousness, you brought the 'Fleck back to comics.

Just seeing Cavill in the MOS promo art shows how comic-bookish the suits(and characters) are. I hope the same is with Ben.

Hahaha, yeah... I gave up on the whole make it look like a photo thing and settled for just getting his face in there in a good way. The whole thing with these pics, for me, is getting used to Fleck as Batman, and I find that the realism of the shot really doesn't matter much to me. I did a few semi-realistic ones (the best was that Grampa one). I also thought it was best to just find the best suits that I could find and mess with them - here I added a light chain-mail under the nanotube chest/abdomen/arms with advanced kevlar weave sides and cowl, and leather to the cape (barely noticable). And sort of a canvas texture very lightly to the belt pouches. And a black leather to the logo, sort of to make it slightly raised. I think these textures would be likely to be used/emulated given the types of suits being built in hollywood these days, ie. Tron and the new X-Men, so I might as well show those too. But really... it's just about seeing Fleck's lower face and getting used to it. Ideally in the most traditional yet high tech costume possible.

I think if you were to do an A/B comparison with the original image (at least the dark knight one), you'd see that the blue in that manip actually blends in a bunch better with the blue you see in the scene. I can certainly say that when you're doing it against a midnite night sky, the blue stands out a *lot* less than the black. Just open up an image of a blue-ish night sky in an urban setting and draw blue on it versus black.

Just as an example, here's a new manip I just did. The black stands out a lot more than the blue.

Bat-Fleck in Gotham:
batfleck52gotham.jpg

batmannewsu1zn8.jpg

Christian-Bale-in-The-Dark-Knight-Rises.jpg

If you ask me...the black in the original photo definitely blends in a lot better with the surroundings. Especially considering the surroundings are black in colour. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to **** on blue-grey as a possibility, but I'm not seeing how blue blends in (especially if you think about the fact that Batman isn't always going to be blending in with the night sky, what about shadows or dark places?)

I will like to know how will they deal with the head turning problem with new bat suit .
hopefully something different than a CGI based COWL Idea .

I will like to know how will they deal with the head turning problem with new bat suit .
hopefully something different than a CGI based COWL Idea .

If they're smart, hopefully they take what Nolan thought up and modify it to fit their suit's design. It would be extremely disappointing if we suddenly reverted back to a stiff cowl design.

It would be pretty cool if in the bat cave he has all the suits his worn iron man style. Like, have one with a lighter grey and blue and others that are just black and another with the yellow oval. Just to give homage to all the awesome suits that has come our way.

Or they could go the dark knight returns route and have him wear a blue n grey with the yellow symbol for the first act and than get the black and dark grey with the normal black bat symbol for the rest of the movie?

Just found these somewhat cool pics. It's a company that makes leather replicas of TDKT suits for motorcyclists.

Like many here, I'm not a fan of how complicated and overwrought the Nolan-era suits were (and forget about the sausage-fingers gauntlets from BB)... but I think they look a lot better as form molded leather than the rubberized versions we got in the films.

248-380-crop-LOGOnomex-01.jpg

248-380-crop-untitled-6.jpg

118-181-crop-TDKR-14.jpg

I particularly like how they illustrate a plausible reality for how the hell Batman could get the outfit on by himself. Just one of the many things I didn't find realistic about TDKT was that the rubber suit looked impossible to suit up.

-800-height-TDKR-13.jpg

For my buck, they also got the boots done about a zillion times better than I remember them from the actual movies.

118-181-crop-batman-begins-pre-suit-boots.jpg

According to one of the costume designers, the boots were the one element of the suit that the design team felt like they couldn't nail - they used different boots for different shots. If you look closely, they are changing constantly throughout the series. (Also watch the first scene in TDK between Alfred and Bruce in the urban lair for some stunningly sloppy consistency in the edits)

I definitely think that motorcycle armor grade leather for the gauntlets, boots and cowl, nanotube/kevlar weave armor, with a possible gabardine oversuit over the armor (to reduce glare and lull enemies into a false sense of security) are the ways to go in terms of material. I'm also a big proponent of reinforced leather for the belt as opposed to molded plastic =P The one thing I thought TDKT got right in terms of material is whatever that supposed memory fabric was for the cape, as well as whatever metal was used for the blades on the gauntlet.

Also, I'm really hoping we get the batarang!

Note, they have a lot of the suit components in great detail, in many positions, so this is a great source for people who want to make manips.

Those boots are actually pretty much Keaton's 1989 boots. But done all in leather instead of being based on some Nikes.

I've gotta say, I never noticed any inconsistencies with Bale's boots - they all seemed pretty much the same throughout the trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugoodeww
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"