The Dark Knight Rises The Dark Knight Rises Info Hunters Thread Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read this on IMDb

"Tom Hardy put on 3 stone (42 lb) to play Charlie Bronson, doing 2500 press-ups a day for five weeks."

2500? What a coincidence. That how many I did...last year.

So...now that we know that Bane and Catwoman are in the film, I'm going to bring up another tired point of conversation.

Dick Grayson.

How would people feel if he was in the film? Personally, I wouldn't mind at all. If the death of the Graysons was somehow involved in the overall plot scheme, I think it could work. Plus, Dick's personality could do something to elevate Bruce's feeling of isolation and loneliness.

Thoughts?

That actually sounds good.

If there's anyone that can handle the entire Bruce/Dick angle well its C. Nolan.

Maybe if bane killed his parents and we just saw a glimpse of him.

Hell no to Rupert Thorne's fat ass. That's what I meant when I said I don't want any more regular mob types in the next film. I'll take a Roman/Black Mask over Thorne any day of the week.

250px-RupertThorne.jpg

I'm not saying they have no standards when choosing films, but when Nolan goes, they are not tied to him; If they like the new director, script, etc. there's no reason to think they'll say no. I don't recall Michael Gough and Pat Hingle quitting even though Burton was gone because they understand that it's how the industry works.

Yeah. Oldman's been involved with the Harry Potter franchise, a series that went through several director changes with each film (Alfonso Cuaron, Mike Newell, and David Yates). I can't see Oldman saying no to a fourth Batman movie if the script was good, unless he just doesn't like a new director stepping into Nolan's shoes.

Yeah. Oldman's been involved with the Harry Potter franchise, a series that went through several director changes with each film (Alfonso Cuaron, Mike Newell, and David Yates). I can't see Oldman saying no to a fourth Batman movie if the script was good and he is given a big fat check, unless he just doesn't like a new director stepping into Nolan's shoes.

There Fixed it.

So...now that we know that Bane and Catwoman are in the film, I'm going to bring up another tired point of conversation.

Dick Grayson.

How would people feel if he was in the film? Personally, I wouldn't mind at all. If the death of the Graysons was somehow involved in the overall plot scheme, I think it could work. Plus, Dick's personality could do something to elevate Bruce's feeling of isolation and loneliness.

Thoughts?
I'd love it, but it ain't gonna happen. Nolan's said in the past that Dick is still a baby when these movies take place. That was a few years ago, so he could have changed his mind, but I don't see it happening. Bale's kind of anti-Robin too, so that would complicate things even more.

Honestly, I don't want to see Robin, but I want to see Dick Grayson. I think it would be an interesting angle to show Bale's Bruce having to deal with being in charge of a younger person's life. One that could fit into Nolan's world.

Wow. Thinking about it. We got to see a lot of good characters in Nolan's movies.

Ra's.
Scarecrow.
Zsasz
Gordon
Harvey Dent
Loeb
Joker
Catwoman
Bane
Falcone
Maroni
Fox
Alfred
Batman

That's pretty awesome thinking about it all. Would be super sweet to see Nolan do Robin. If we ever get Robin and his story done correctly. I would still LOVE to see Nolan tackle it.

Edit.
Joe Chill
Thomas Wayne, Martha (Didn't say but 3 words) Wayne.

The greatest and my favorite thing that Nolan has done with this series is Gordon.

Honestly, I don't want to see Robin, but I want to see Dick Grayson. I think it would be an interesting angle to show Bale's Bruce having to deal with being in charge of a younger person's life. One that could fit into Nolan's world.
That's like saying "I don't want to see Batman but I definitely want to see Bruce Wayne". And don't give me this "but Bruce is Batman and the two can not be separate so it doesn't count" nonsense. It's exactly the same. Dick is the first Robin, and I don't want to see his story UNLESS he becomes Robin. Regardless of what the "cool kids" think about Robin and "how gay he is" or whatever that's supposed to mean. However, I don't want to see Dick in this trilogy.

It will be funny when people start to bring up wanting Dick Grayson/Robin to appear in this film...

Some will say, "No way could he be done....look at Batman Forever or Batman & Robin! He was AWFUL!".

The funny thing is, no one was saying:

"Man, I don't want Two-face to be in [The Dark Knight], did you see Batman Forever? He was awful! What a lame character!"

Or:

"I will never watch The Dark Knight Rises if Catwoman is in it....did you SEE Catwoman? Jesus, that was a crappy movie. Catwoman is such a bad character".

"Man, Batman & Robin was so awful, could you imagine if Bane were to be in The Dark Knight Rises. No way it'd get my money..."

Point being, all of these characters are getting second chances. They were subjected to awful interpretations by someone who didn't understand them. Now, we have a director who "gets" the world he's working with in and we don't want to see him give these characters a try?

Dick Grayson, Jason Todd and Tim Drake are all very strong characters. Either one could bring something great to a film, and because they were fudged up in a previous effort shouldn't be held against them when taking into account a future film.

I mean, Bane was done horribly.
Catwoman was done awful before.
Two-face, the Riddler, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, the Penguin, even Batman.

All of these characters were all done horribly on the silver screen in the past (Batman: The Movie, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin), and Two-face, Bane, Catwoman, and Batman all received second chances to succeed and be done justice. Why is it people's argument that Robin is a lame character because of a lame interpretation when there is a wealth of material in the comics that points to the opposite?

I just think the hypocrisy in some Robin debates is funny. I realize it hasn't happened here yet, but it is prone to happen when he is brought up, and with Bane recently being announced, I just wanted to make mention of this....

-R

Last edited:
^I totally agree with this. And the funny thing is, I just know someone is going to come in here and go "when did anyone say that:dry: derpedy derp" and feign innocence, when ha ha ha, I see it happen whenever Robin is brought up, just as you said. And I'm tired of it.

EDIT: 666th post, and it's in defense of one of the Bat-Community's most hated characters. Oh, the irony.

Last edited:
That's like saying "I don't want to see Batman but I definitely want to see Bruce Wayne". And don't give me this "but Bruce is Batman and the two can not be separate so it doesn't count" nonsense. It's exactly the same. Dick is the first Robin, and I don't want to see his story UNLESS he becomes Robin. Regardless of what the "cool kids" think about Robin and "how gay he is" or whatever that's supposed to mean.

Hurray! A smart person!

I already have a basic idea of how I'd like to see TDKR end, which would be a sort of epilogue after the main events of the film. Bruce goes to the circus and sees the Flying Graysons act. After Dick's mother and father are killed there would be a scene between him and Bruce that is reminiscient of the Gordon/Bruce scene in BB after the Waynes are killed. It would sort of bring Nolan's trilogy full circle.

I am a huge Robin fan. Perhaps one of the biggest on the boards.

I'm a huge advocate of him as a character and want him in a film.

But, I don't just want him in the film for the sake of seeing him in the film. If he doesn't add something positive to the film, don't add him. We don't need another poor interpretation to have a poor film blamed on him...again. Let's be honest, if a film featuring Robin isn't successful, or even perfect, he'll be the scape goat.

But for the next film, I've been a huge activist in involving Dick Grayson. Have the mob on the run after the events of the last film. The "freaks" are moving in, taking up turf in the city. One of the only ways that they can smuggle guns and drugs since loosing the docks is through the trailers of a circus that cross state lines. A turf war ensues at the carnival grounds between Boss Tony Zucco, the last of the traditional mob element and the freaks headed by...any number of the usual suspects (Penguin, Black Mask, Scar Face, Great White Shark, even if Bane is squeezing out the mob element to gain complete control of Gotham's underworld...).

The Grayson's are killed in the crossfire, and Batman couldn't save them. Dick is left alive.

Dick would symbolize the infiniteness of Bruce's endeavor as Batman. Bruce learned in The Dark Knight that he is the only one who is truly incorruptible and that the law will not take up his mantle. The only one who will, will have to be someone he can train. He'll also train Dick because of the power he sees in him and the fear of that power being mishandled for evil. NOT TO MENTION, the insane guilt Bruce feels and catharsis he's looking for after the fall of Harvey Dent. Dick Grayson would be his "retry" to save someone who is on the edge after her was unable to save Harvey.

I also think when going up against Bane, Bruce may need all the help he can get...even if Dick doesn't don a uniform, or does so without permission...

Just my two cents. Though, if he isn't included, I'm cool with it. As long as it's because he doesn't fit the story and not because he is dismissed as a "weak" or "silly" character...because he is the opposite.

-R

Last edited:
Yeah, I've always thought of Gough as fantastic, even when he's just doing voice work!

It's surprising to see anyone 'round these parts putting him down at all.

Maybe I phrased it the wrong way. Wasn't trying to put down Gough, but the reality is that talent isn't everything - I simply am not sure he had the same name recognition in the 90s as actors like Freeman and Oldman do today.

Roman or Rupert

Do you mean the Roman? That was Falcone...

Dick Grayson.

Thoughts?

No. There are already a lot of characters (two villains) and plot points (like Batman fleeing the cops) to cover. The last thing they need to do is throw in the origin story and character arc of Robin (as well as Batman's relationship to him).

Plus, including Robin really goes against the whole theme and setting of these movies, which are supposed to be Batman's early career (before taking on Robin). In fact, Nolan has ruled out Robin for this very reason.

And to include Grayson without including Robin would just be wasting screen time on a non-story.

Nolan has made it quite clear that he has absolutely no desire to introduce Robin; Bale has also spoken out against the character. Anyone who continues to hope that Robin will be featured in a Nolan-helmed film (on the off chance he does in fact decide that his tenure with Batman isn't finished following completion of TDKR) is destined for disappointment, because it's not going to happen. End of story.

I believe he was referring to Roman Sionis/Black Mask, but I've been wrong before :)

I would love to see dick grayson/robin in this as well, but I think it's doubtful it will happen, especially if bruce goes through the trouble of recovering from a broken back. Then again, wouldn't that be something that makes him realize he's going to eventually need someone to take his place?

Nolan has made it quite clear that he has absolutely no desire to introduce Robin; Bale has also spoken out against the character. Anyone who continues to hope that Robin will be featured in a Nolan-helmed film (on the off chance he does in fact decide that his tenure with Batman isn't finished following completion of TDKR) is destined for disappointment, because it's not going to happen. End of story.

Because it totally matters what the actors think. Oldman said no thanks to catwoman, and look where we are.

Yeah. Oldman's been involved with the Harry Potter franchise, a series that went through several director changes with each film (Alfonso Cuaron, Mike Newell, and David Yates). I can't see Oldman saying no to a fourth Batman movie if the script was good, unless he just doesn't like a new director stepping into Nolan's shoes.
Thank you.
Too many fans on here make Nolan out to be some sort of film god which he is far from.
There Fixed it.
That too.
I'd love it, but it ain't gonna happen. Nolan's said in the past that Dick is still a baby when these movies take place. That was a few years ago, so he could have changed his mind, but I don't see it happening. Bale's kind of anti-Robin too, so that would complicate things even more.
Sadly, I agree.
The greatest and my favorite thing that Nolan has done with this series is Gordon.
Gordon is totally at the heart of this series.
Definitely made me appreciate his character more.:up:
It will be funny when people start to bring up wanting Dick Grayson/Robin to appear in this film...

Some will say, "No way could he be done....look at Batman Forever or Batman & Robin! He was AWFUL!".

The funny thing is, no one was saying:

"Man, I don't want Two-face to be in [The Dark Knight], did you see Batman Forever? He was awful! What a lame character!"

Or:

"I will never watch The Dark Knight Rises if Catwoman is in it....did you SEE Catwoman? Jesus, that was a crappy movie. Catwoman is such a bad character".

"Man, Batman & Robin was so awful, could you imagine if Bane were to be in The Dark Knight Rises. No way it'd get my money..."
People have actually said these on here.:csad:
Point being, all of these characters are getting second chances. They were subjected to awful interpretations by someone who didn't understand them. Now, we have a director who "gets" the world he's working with in and we don't want to see him give these characters a try?

Dick Grayson, Jason Todd and Tim Drake are all very strong characters. Either one could bring something great to a film, and because they were fudged up in a previous effort shouldn't be held against them when taking into account a future film.

I mean, Bane was done horribly.
Catwoman was done awful before.
Two-face, the Riddler, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, the Penguin, even Batman.

All of these characters were all done horribly on the silver screen in the past (Batman: The Movie, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin), and Two-face, Bane, Catwoman, and Batman all received second chances to succeed and be done justice. Why is it people's argument that Robin is a lame character because of a lame interpretation when there is a wealth of material in the comics that points to the opposite?

I just think the hypocrisy in some Robin debates is funny. I realize it hasn't happened here yet, but it is prone to happen when he is brought up, and with Bane recently being announced, I just wanted to make mention of this....

-R
Agreed.
I am a huge Robin fan. Perhaps one of the biggest on the boards.

I'm a huge advocate of him as a character and want him in a film.

But, I don't just want him in the film for the sake of seeing him in the film. If he doesn't add something positive to the film, don't add him. We don't need another poor interpretation to have a poor film blamed on him...again. Let's be honest, if a film featuring Robin isn't successful, or even perfect, he'll be the scape goat.

But for the next film, I've been a huge activist in involving Dick Grayson. Have the mob on the run after the events of the last film. The "freaks" are moving in, taking up turf in the city. One of the only ways that they can smuggle guns and drugs since loosing the docks is through the trailers of a circus that cross state lines. A turf war ensues at the carnival grounds between Boss Tony Zucco, the last of the traditional mob element and the freaks headed by...any number of the usual suspects (Penguin, Black Mask, Scar Face, Great White Shark, even if Bane is squeezing out the mob element to gain complete control of Gotham's underworld...).

The Grayson's are killed in the crossfire, and Batman couldn't save them. Dick is left alive.

Dick would symbolize the infiniteness of Bruce's endeavor as Batman. Bruce learned in The Dark Knight that he is the only one who is truly incorruptible and that the law will not take up his mantle. The only one who will, will have to be someone he can train. He'll also train Dick because of the power he sees in him and the fear of that power being mishandled for evil. NOT TO MENTION, the insane guilt Bruce feels and catharsis he's looking for after the fall of Harvey Dent. Dick Grayson would be his "retry" to save someone who is on the edge after her was unable to save Harvey.

I also think when going up against Bane, Bruce may need all the help he can get...even if Dick doesn't don a uniform, or does so without permission...

Just my two cents. Though, if he isn't included, I'm cool with it. As long as it's because he doesn't fit the story and not because he is dismissed as a "weak" or "silly" character...because he is the opposite.

-R
Again, agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"