The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see what the point of a plant is.

You're not going to convert an angry fanboy, and everyone else is either already onboard with the project (1%) or not on message boards/online to begin with (the other 99%) so whatever the circumstances you're whistling into the wind.

I don't see what the point of a plant is. Trolling people who don't want to see a movie isn't about to convince them to go see it. God knows that nothing Ant-Manic has said has made me stop and say "Hmm, you know what? Even though this movie sounds like a complete turd, this person I've never met and whose opinion holds no weight for me is a fan of the four actors they've cast, so I think I'm going to see it even though those actors themselves mean absolutely nothing to me as I've never seen them in anything." I'm not saying he's a plant, but that's hardly the most winning strategy.

I wonder, though, assuming there have been plants, what the reaction was when they reported back and said that the general consensus for the movie the studio was working on was that it'd be garbage and people wouldn't go see it.

The plant is not always for the film in question....sometimes they are very much against it. We had a pretty good idea that we had a plant from another movie site that consistently trolled during the first film and was finally banned.

I wonder if any fan anywhere would be interested in a FF movie that is minimalist? Even if they got the casting right and the ages and Doom etc---would fans want to see a low budget FF movie? And a movie featuring these characters with these powers at around $100 million would indeed be "low-budget".

isn't this a huge obstacle beyond all the other problems?

I think this could only be ever done right with a full on $180+ million budget anyway.

which sadly means even if they got certain things right they could never do right by the franchise anyway. IMO

They could do that if it were a TV series. You could get a one-off episode where Sue loses her baby (as she did in the comics - I forget what the child was called but I think it was after Franklin, and it wasn't Valeria). Reed could be comforting her and helping her go through her depression. There wouldn't be much action but mostly melodrama, and hence no need for special powers or effects.

But no-one wants to see a Lifetime movie on the big screen when it's supposed to be a comic book movie.

I know!--- this is suspenseful----the longer it goes where we hear nothing the better I feel, but I know at some point the shoe will drop and we will have actual proof it's filming and I'm gonna feel sick.

This movie just will not have enough clout to seize any weekend and the spots where this movie might make a little hay are gone.

This movie is going to be low/medium budget--not a must-see for many people and will make modest $ even if it's fairly good.

That is probably why they are treating it like a step-child.

They could do that if it were a TV series. You could get a one-off episode where Sue loses her baby (as she did in the comics - I forget what the child was called but I think it was after Franklin, and it wasn't Valeria). Reed could be comforting her and helping her go through her depression. There wouldn't be much action but mostly melodrama, and hence no need for special powers or effects.

But no-one wants to see a Lifetime movie on the big screen when it's supposed to be a comic book movie.

I agree. How many comic-book based films can we point to over the past 10-20 years that have budgets at (and I'm guessing we're really talking below) $100 million that would be considered memorable and successful?

We might be able to come up with one or two (Hellboy, perhaps?), but for every successful example we could find in that range, there were 10 dogs.

Just based on that and nothing else, I would say a low-budget superhero film is basically a recipe for disaster.

Nobody wants to see them. They either want visual spectacles or they want nothing. People aren't interested 'grounded' superhero films.

I agree. How many comic-book based films can we point to over the past 10-20 years that have budgets at (and I'm guessing we're really talking below) $100 million that would be considered memorable and successful?

We might be able to come up with one or two (Hellboy, perhaps?), but for every successful example we could find in that range, there were 10 dogs.

Just based on that and nothing else, I would say a low-budget superhero film is basically a recipe for disaster.

Nobody wants to see them. They either want visual spectacles or they want nothing. People aren't interested 'grounded' superhero films.

Maybe Fox is treating this film like Sony did with Grossrider 2. Smaller budget with a modest earning where they get to keep the rights away from Marvel longer

But Ghostrider is such a minor character with little impact to the MCU unlike the FF which could lead to more expansion of the MCU. Fox knows this. Which is why they will produce this abomination reap a small profit extending the rights. They simply don't really care about this franchise and will continue to focus on the real money maker which is the Xmen universe.

So what do people think this thing could actually make at the box office? The Hulk reboot only made $263 million and it had a decent cast, decent budget, and personally I would say it was a pretty good film. FFINO has a small budget for what the film needs, generally unpopular casting, and a messy production history that makes people question how good the final film will be.

Maybe Fox is treating this film like Sony did with Grossrider 2. Smaller budget with a modest earning where they get to keep the rights away from Marvel longer

But Ghostrider is such a minor character with little impact to the MCU unlike the FF which could lead to more expansion of the MCU. Fox knows this. Which is why they will produce this abomination reap a small profit extending the rights. They simply don't really care about this franchise and will continue to focus on the real money maker which is the Xmen universe.

It certainly seems like they're trying to get as much from the name with as little investment as possible, but that seems like a very short-sighted strategy to me.

FF could be their Spider-Man if they invested a little bit and put the right people on it. If they keep the budget low enough, sure, they can probably make a few bucks. But this property has the potential to bring in billions. If they make a few hundred million, they can point to that and, on paper, it looks like a success, but by not making these valuable rights live up to their potential, they're leaving A LOT of money on the table.

So what do people think this thing could actually make at the box office? The Hulk reboot only made $263 million and it had a decent cast, decent budget, and personally I would say it was a pretty good film. FFINO has a small budget for what the film needs, generally unpopular casting, and a messy production history that makes people question how good the final film will be.

I'm not good at predicting box office numbers, but with no big name actors, no big-name director, no hype or buzz, likely minimal marketing effort and a poor release date, it seems like the only thing they have is the name - which isn't worth all that much after two weak previous films.

I don't know box-office numbers well enough to put one on it, but any objective analysis would have to put this at a low box-office return.

Not even a penny is good enough for this ****

First photo from the set (seriously, I think this is the first thing I've seen). Posted on Miles Teller's Twitter with the caption: "Exclusive first look at Fan4"

BmZTkI8CUAAPFnS.jpg

I'm curious as to how much Fox is going to promote this film. Thus far they certainly aren't doing much to hype it. Are they going to throw good money after bad and spend a lot of money on advertising or are they just going to bury it using as little money as possible?

It certainly seems like they're trying to get as much from the name with as little investment as possible, but that seems like a very short-sighted strategy to me.

FF could be their Spider-Man if they invested a little bit and put the right people on it. If they keep the budget low enough, sure, they can probably make a few bucks. But this property has the potential to bring in billions. If they make a few hundred million, they can point to that and, on paper, it looks like a success, but by not making these valuable rights live up to their potential, they're leaving A LOT of money on the table.
Fox just seem disinterested from investing any more major money into this franchise even with its vast potential if done right. They also know the risk of doing a reboot this soon after 7 years on a film not well received by the general audience. Die hard comic book fans like me you and 90 percent of the people on internet forums already envision FF being reunited with Marvel. Therefore our anticipation of any film from them is low. It could be a great film with great casting for all I care but part of me still want it with MCU. I think others feel the same.

Thats why I think they are going the GR 2 route like Sony did. Downsize the budget and label this film some sort of new FF with a young twilight cast and appeal to a different audience and hope we still support it. Make a small profit and extend the rights from Marvel and maybe Marvel will bow down and make another deal knowing they would love to have Surfer/Galactus negative zone and even Doom.

Thats just my opinion. This is Fox we are talking about here. Any serious logical common sense from them is not present.

Last edited:
I die a little bit inside everyday knowing that this steaming pile is getting made

For some reason when I think about how I think the film will look (style wise) the film that keeps popping into my head is District 9. The gritty, almost documentary, found footagy look it had.

I'm not saying that I think that is how I think it should look, just that when I hear about what they have planned that is the film that pops into my head. The wrong shooting style to go with the wrong cast, seems about on par for FFINO.

For some reason when I think about how I think the film will look (style wise) the film that keeps popping into my head is District 9. The gritty, almost documentary, found footagy look it had.

I think you're probably right. I'm thinking District 9/ Cloverfield / Chronicle maybe some Super 8. I think they'll try to play up the "Oh my God, what's happening to us?!?!" angle and make the drama mostly about that. Which is, of course, completely wrong for a film like this. The FF should be heroes - not obsessing over their problems.

I got a serious question for most of you. Would you be happy and content if it appeared this film that Fox is making looked like the ideal FF film you want to see get made? Meaning you were hearing good things about this production.

Or would you still want Fox to just not make this film at all? Abandon any attempt to do anything with this property. Knowing what will happen with this franchise going over to Marvel. Im just curious with some of your thoughts. Because right now the complaints stem from this sad pathetic attempt and disrespect to the brand. Would you be happy with Fox keeping it if that were the case.

Or we will just get a bunch of cuts and edits in the trailers before something "big" would seem to be taking place, then people will go into the film and see that these money shots never existed in the first place.

I got a serious question for most of you. Would you be happy and content if it appeared this film that Fox is making looked like the ideal FF film you want to see get made? Meaning you were hearing good things about this production.

Or would you still want Fox to just not make this film at all? Abandon any attempt to do anything with this property. Knowing what will happen with this franchise going over to Marvel. Im just curious with some of your thoughts. Because right now the complaints stem from this sad pathetic attempt and disrespect to the brand. Would you be happy with Fox keeping it if that were the case.

If Fox were making a good adaptation of the Fantastic Four, I would be perfectly happy.

That’s a very good question. To me the ideal situation is that rights revert and Marvel gives us a great FF film that is true to the source and is part of the MCU. I would be on Cloud 9 if that were to ever happen.

The second best scenario (and it’s a very distant second) is that Fox gets their head out of their you-know-what, puts their money where their mouth is, and delivers not just a great film but a great Fantastic Four film.

The current situation? Worst of all possible worlds. No matter how bad this film will be, Fox will … wait for it… Still. Have. The. Rights.

For another 7 years. Utterly depressing.

If Fox were making a good adaptation of the Fantastic Four, I would be perfectly happy.

Yep. Absolutely. I'd love it if Fox made a great film. There were times, before we knew the things we know now, that I thought that was possible (despite Fox's track record).

But with everything we know, I think it's impossible that I'll get the kind of film I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"