• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. The Shi'Ar and the Brood seem like a poor trade for the X-Men merchandising rights. Marvel could easily invent something similar for the Guardians and Ms Marvel, especially with Guardians. It would have to be the FF (and all associated characters) or nothing for me.

I think Marvel would be happier just tying Ms Marvel into their existing properies to help expand them than chase down the Shi'Ar and Brood, both of whom are most heavily tied to the X-Men universe and whom have far less connections with the rest of the Marvel universe. Now getting the Silver Surfer, Galactus, Kang, full control of the Skrull, etc would be something far more valuable to Marvel.

Is Kang with Fox? He's always been more of an Avengers villain.

I'm sure I've read around that he is a part of the FF franchise, although his history is that messy he could be one of those shared characters where some of his incarnations are with one franchise and others are with another franchise.

Yep. Otherwise Black Panther and the Inhumans would be as well, but they're at Marvel.

Yeah but a lot of that is due to the way Marvel broke up the film rights back in the 90s, the Silver Surfer for example really should have his own independent film rights and not be stuck as a part of the FF rights.

I don't see why he would be. The Inhumans have had more appearances in the FF comic than him. Probably even Black Panther too. And Kang has featured almost exclusively in the Avengers.

Yeah but his first appearance was sort of in FF, as Rama Tut. He is also a decendent of Richards, and started his timetravel with device originally made by Doom.

Maybe I'm wrong, its just something that I thought I read a while back. But if he isn't specified in one of the film rights then I could see Fox trying to make a claim on him, maybe ending up with a Scarlett Witch/Quicksilver situation where he can be used by Marvel but they can't mention stuff about his origin.

First appearances, most appearances.....it doesn't appear that the composition of the character families Marvel sold off follow any particular pattern. The only logic used is that, unlike today, the goal was to sell off as many families to as many different studios as possible.

So Panther and the Inhumans are not with the FF because Arad wanted to spin those off separately. FOX's rights to Quicksilver are shared because Marvel wanted the opportunity for an Avengers movie down the line - possibly with New Line. Ronan is not with the FF because Arad wanted to sell him and the Kree with Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel.

The good news is that most of the characters are back at Marvel Studios. And they will hopefully be adding to their character count this year.

Fox can have Rama Tut. He can be a separate character to Kang for all I care. Kang is one of the top Avengers villains.

I'm almost sure that Kang is not tied down by FOX. I read that he could be considered to be a future villain in an Avengers film. Now I was never impressed by Kang so it's no biggie if Fox has him or not.

Last edited:
I don't even understand how both Fox and Marvel can use QS and SW? Is this a deal that was worked out before hand? It seems odd that Marvel would make a deal of shared rites with those two characters but SS and Galactus are stuck with FOX?????

Fox can have Rama Tut. He can be a separate character to Kang for all I care. Kang is one of the top Avengers villains.

That's exactly what X-Men Evolution did with Apocalypse's origin. Rama Tut was all over that with no mentions or blatant hints at Kang.

So... will they be showing anything at NYCC? Or are we left with nothing again?

I don't even understand how both Fox and Marvel can use QS and SW? Is this a deal that was worked out before hand? It seems odd that Marvel would make a deal of shared rites with those two characters but SS and Galactus are stuck with FOX?????

QS and SW were almost certainly specified as shared in the original X-Men contract from 1993. Given that at that time they were far more closely associated with the Avengers (especially Wanda) I think Marvel had the sense to make sure they could still use them as well. What marvel can't do is call them 'Mutants' or have them related to Magneto.

Well, since it will be coming in after SDCC 2015, I'm sure there will be something there....and possibly some Final 4 stuff with March Madness.

I'd be willing to bet that Surfer's rights were included with the F4 at the time of deal because Surfer, iconic as he is, doesn't have a lot of appearances as a solo title. the late 80s/90s series is his longest run at 148 than ran until the late 90s. before that he had a 28 issue run by Stan. Other than that run, he had 72 issues between F4/Defenders with F4 being the lead. He was basically a supporting character.

Of course there is probably more too it than that.

It's probably because his origins and best known stories are strongly tied to Galactus and The Four. They probably negotiated to have The Surfer specifically so they could make a Fantastic Four movie with The Surfer.

Well, Story wanted to make JUST a Silver Surfer movie, that is what brought him into the picture in the first place.

Well, I guess that FF gig didn't work out for Tim Story , did it?

Come on guys I want to talk about how much this movie wasn't at NYCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"