The Avengers The Official 'Hulk in Avengers' thread. - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are you saying? That he shoulda started a conversation with her about how the Nets gave away a draft pick that coulda made the team half-decent? Right.

Hulk talking needed to be saved for TIH2 where Banner had began to command Hulk instead of the other way around.

A chatterbox Hulk in TIH woulda killed the film.
Yes..that's exactly what I meant. I wanted the Hulk to talk about sports with Betty! :woot:

I do agree a conversation about the Nets would have killed the film at least. But with a US gross of $134 million, what would "killed" mean? Wasn't it kinda dead already? (relative to other Avengers films)

They are in the cave and the Hulk has absolutely nothing to say to Betty? Not one thought in his head?

That's what "killed" the film.

Everyone I have spoken to about both Hulk films have pretty much the same complaint about them: The Hulk should be talking. His being a CGI creation already invokes a certain level of disconnect with the audiences, so the trick then is to give that creation a level or personality that they can connect with. Neither film has done that. He has been a grunting brawler, uttering a grand total of 11 words across 2 movies.

Seriously, if we look back at successful CGI character creations on film they have more personality than either Hulk film (or the old tv show) has offered. Even Kong got to sort of laugh FFS...

And this isn't to say we want the Hulk discussing sports. Or quoting Shakespeare. Or offering insights on the origins of the Universe....Personally, the EMH Hulk character's level of speech & personality would be ideal for me (still surly, but has a sense of humour, is fully self aware, hates Banner, etc)

And this isn't to say we want the Hulk discussing sports. Or quoting Shakespeare. Or offering insights on the origins of the Universe....Personally, the EMH Hulk character's level of speech & personality would be ideal for me (still surly, but has a sense of humour, is fully self aware, hates Banner, etc)

This is the most important aspect that we have yet to see.

Yes..that's exactly what I meant. I wanted the Hulk to talk about sports with Betty! :woot:

I do agree a conversation about the Nets would have killed the film at least. But with a US gross of $134 million, what would "killed" mean? Wasn't it kinda dead already? (relative to other Avengers films)

They are in the cave and the Hulk has absolutely nothing to say to Betty? Not one thought in his head?

Hulk only knew who Betty was on an instinctive level.
What was he supposed to say to her?
Ang Lee Killed TIH.
After his film,
People were just skittish about another Hulk movie .

Hulk was a perfectly legitimate entity in TIH.

It was a fantastic start for the character & with Banner's induced transformation at the closing of the film one could see the character becoming more than just a mute beast in future outings.

Great origin picture that we probably won't get to see a continuation to.
Agreed .

it didnt convince me that they were one and the same...
the hulk was something different and only bruce made the connections of being the hulk...
the flashback scenes in the shower ..
but the hulk didnt show the struggle between the two, he just calmed down a bit which showed some humanity....and it wasnt very convincing

wasnt there a scene in angs hulk where he grabs bruce throught the mirror or did i made this up?

the new hulk has the aspect of a helpful guy caught in a monstrous and destructive body

it was straight out of the comic..and i miss something like that. an interaction between the two (hulk/banner) would be more sufficient than alot of interaction between the other avengers

Hulks voice was perfect too..I wonder if it was Lou ?

It was he just wasn't credited for doing the voice in Hulk.

lou is hulk....

its actually called

THE INCREDIBLE

:bh: LOULK :bh:

...They are in the cave and the Hulk has absolutely nothing to say to Betty? Not one thought in his head?

I loved that scene, I thought it was perfect. The bit where bumps his head and rubs it is a total character moment. I laughed, imagining him going, "Ow! Sonofab*tch..." And from that to trying to protect her from the lightening, which he didn't understand? Awesome. You have Hulks as vulnerable and protective, all within 30 seconds; a moment of levity that is relatable and a moment that is endearing without uttering a word.

Everyone I have spoken to about both Hulk films have pretty much the same complaint about them: The Hulk should be talking. His being a CGI creation already invokes a certain level of disconnect with the audiences, so the trick then is to give that creation a level or personality... if we look back at successful CGI character creations on film they have more personality than either Hulk film (or the old tv show) has offered. Even Kong got to sort of laugh FFS...

The laughter in Peter Jackson's Kong actually took me out of that scene, it was completely jarring and...not right, personally. The execution of it, I mean.

It really comes down to subtle moments -- those little ticks that make you believe a character has existed and accumulated experiences and ideas/opinions/beliefs/behaviors. In that sense, Hulk in TIH is still fairly "young". He's spent as much time out in the world as an infant, but -- much like babies -- I think he still has a personality. Compared to Kong -- who has been Kong for many, many years alone on that island, or Wall-E, who you can tell has been living his routine for a while, Hulk hasn't had that chance, what with Banner repressing him. I think we'll finally start to see him grow-up in the Avengers.

We don't really know yet.

Though I think it would be an interesting plotline if SHIELD (Nick Fury specifically) were against Hulk being in the team because of his instability and their lack of control over him, but are persuaded by someone in the team (perhaps Stark) that Banner has learnt how to exercise some control over the beast and would be an invaluable addition. And eventually the Hulk proves himself.

I'd rather it be Cap who shows faith in Hulk.

I think they should actually aim for Kong in terms of characterization, in my mind he's still the best CGI creation.

Peter Jackson could make one heck of a tih2 imo.

For me this all begins and ends with convincing and CONSISTENT cgi. I would love a more fleshed out Hulk showing character, and I especially want a Banner with personality for a change, but this really comes down to the Hulk looking like a tangible being alongside humans and his environment.

I thought the bad parts of Ang's film were atrocious and wildly inconsistent. But when it was good, like when his dad touches his face at the lab or when he turns to see Betty coming down the steps at the end of the desert battle, it was easily better than almost anything in TIH, which was more consistent but plastic & rubbery looking at all times. Not to mention he never seemed to blend with the environment. They seem to be on the right track but only time will tell...

Yeah but I think the reason why it's hard to get right is because a giant green man really sticks out I mean even in real life it would probably look weird

Yeah but I think the reason why it's hard to get right is because a giant green man really sticks out I mean even in real life it would probably look weird

Like I said, IMO, Ang's film had a few scenes that achieved it & still stand up today, its very possible for the Hulk to at least look like he's there lol. I mean, the creatures in Avatar aren't walking around either, but I'll be damned if they didn't look real.

Like I said, IMO, Ang's film had a few scenes that achieved it & still stand up today, its very possible for the Hulk to at least look like he's there lol. I mean, the creatures in Avatar aren't walking around either, but I'll be damned if they didn't look real.

I think the job with Hulk is a much tougher task than the task they had with the Avatar creatures. What I mean is, the Avatar creatures were in a CG world with very little interaction with the people, Hulk is a CG creation in the real world with alot of interaction with people, they're going to have a tough task making him seem completely real.

I think the job with Hulk is a much tougher task than the task they had with the Avatar creatures. What I mean is, the Avatar creatures were in a CG world with very little interaction with the people, Hulk is a CG creation in the real world with alot of interaction with people, they're going to have a tough task making him seem completely real.

Perhaps, but there was still human /cg interaction in Avatar, and it was seamless. This isn't a solo movie for Hulk, I'd be shocked if we got anymore than two scenes of full action with him, so the task while still daunting, should also be a bit easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"