The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll just go ahead and say it: I have zero clue what this “sky” stuff is and have no idea how it effects Disney/Marvel if at all.

In the simplest of terms, Comcast and Fox(as Disney's proxy) are currently in an active bidding war for Sky and the longer that goes on and the higher it goes, the less likely Comcast will bid on Fox.

And analysts are saying Comcast is more interested in Sky than Fox, and Comcast is rethinking if they should raise their bid on Fox.

Bottom line, the longer this drags on, the less likely it is Comcast will raise their bid, and if they don't raise their bid within two weeks, Fox shareholders will approve the deal and we should be set.:woot:

I’ll just go ahead and say it: I have zero clue what this “sky” stuff is and have no idea how it effects Disney/Marvel if at all.
Sky could be the crux that keeps Comcast from spoiling the reunion of Fox's Marvel film properties with the MCU. Think of it as like a squirrel.

Sky is the thing that could quake Comcast's future Fox bids apart.

Why not just let Comcast have Sky since that's all they're really interested and be done with it?

Why not just let Comcast have Sky since that's all they're really interested and be done with it?

I think Disney does have an interest in Sky - just not as much as Comcast.

And some have suggested Comcast made their bid for Fox primarily to make Disney pay more, so Disney could do the same here.

And with two weeks to go, it makes sense to keep Comcast on the ropes. I suspect Fox/Disney will drop out of Sky if they get close to where they think Comcast is at their limit.

I think Disney does have an interest in Sky - just not as much as Comcast.
I've seen the argument thrown around by many here(including me initially) that Disney really wants Sky and likely wouldn't let it go but as much as Sky can certainly help Disney make up for the losses they have on EPSN. I would say Star India--which has hundreds of millions of viewers a month is more than enough for the mouse.

I've seen the argument thrown around by many here(including me initially) that Disney really wants Sky and likely wouldn't let it go but as much as Sky can certainly help Disney make up for the losses they have on EPSN. I would say Star India--which has hundreds of millions of viewers a month is more than enough for the mouse.

Indian satellite TV is an integrated part of the global entertainment industry with hundreds of millions of viewers, while their other mass media is almost entirely domestic. That makes Star look like the exciting growth/synergy opportunity.

I know nothing about it, but I see myself getting away from a distribution system soon.

80% of what I watch now (Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, MLB Network) I get just from an internet connection/smart TV, and I've been looking into the Sling TV.

It looks like Sling TV can make my Comcast account obsolete. Now maybe Comcast realizes this and they're trying to diversify, but to me the idea of a Comcast or Time Warner Cable (and I presume Sky and Star) are on the way out.

I assume I'll be able to get Disney's streaming service with a simple internet connection.

But again, I don't really understand how some of those services work or what Comcast's plans are, so I could be missing something.

I know nothing about it, but I see myself getting away from a distribution system soon.

80% of what I watch now (Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, MLB Network) I get just from an internet connection/smart TV, and I've been looking into the Sling TV.

It looks like Sling TV can make my Comcast account obsolete. Now maybe Comcast realizes this and they're trying to diversify, but to me the idea of a Comcast or Time Warner Cable (and I presume Sky and Star) are on the way out.

I assume I'll be able to get Disney's streaming service with a simple internet connection.

But again, I don't really understand how some of those services work or what Comcast's plans are, so I could be missing something.

Maybe you'll try to cancel your Comcast account and then you can have one of those phone calls with the clingy salesman begging you to stay and to explain why you're leaving. If so, please post it here. :woot:

Maybe you'll try to cancel your Comcast account and then you can have one of those phone calls with the clingy salesman begging you to stay and to explain why you're leaving. If so, please post it here. :woot:

:funny: Well if Comcast ends up buying Fox and making a lousy FF film, I intend to use that as my reason for quitting.:cwink:

Cable TV is being replaced by streaming... over your internet cable. So cable is not on the way out; your cable company is just seeing overwhelming competition from Netflix, Amazon and Hulu for one of its products.
The same goes for satellite. If you're a satellite TV company, why can't you diversify into satellite internet? Neither of these distribution systems are on the way out, just TV as a second product your internet provider sells you.

Cable TV is being replaced by streaming... over your internet cable. So cable is not on the way out; your cable company is just seeing overwhelming competition from Netflix, Amazon and Hulu for one of its products.
The same goes for satellite. If you're a satellite TV company, why can't you diversify into satellite internet? Neither of these distribution systems are on the way out, just TV as a second product your internet provider sells you.

I think high-speed wireless internet is the future.

I guess if Comcast can get customers now and then offer wireless in the future, they could maintain some customers, but they're not going to have a captive audience much longer, and I'm not sure how much getting customers now for a service that is becoming quickly obsolete is worth.

... but Comcast obviously thinks it's worth something.

... or we may be saying "remember when Comcast was a thing?" 10 years from now.

I can see a more specific, real value for content, because that's protected by copyrights and if anyone wants Disney's (or Universal's) content, they can only get it from the owner in some form.

I strongly suspect Disney has been overstating their interest in Sky because they know Comcast wants it.

Disney would probably like to have it, but I think they also see it as a valuable tool in dealing with Comcast from a number of angles.

I suspect Comcast will get the majority of Sky and Disney will get Fox, and then Disney would probably be interested in selling Comcast their Sky share - picking up some cash to cover some of the Fox expense, and maybe get some of the other items of interest that Comcast has (Hulk, Namor, Theme parks).

So if Brian focuses on Fox he will lose both Fox and Sky whereas if he focuses on just Sky he could get it but will lose Fox?

You know what's funny? All of this legal/trading/boardroom meetings blahblahblah, should be super boring to even read about, but to me it's been 100 times more interesting than the turd that was Fant-4-stic. :woot:

:funny: I think that went over my head the first time I read it.

787.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"