• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Ben at one point in the original run betray the F4 and try to hold them captive in the medieval time as a pirate? I know he was depressed by his situation but he seems to be a genuine *****e at times. It seemed like half the time he was the one picking the fights with Johnny as opposed to vice versa.

That being said, Chiklis' portrayal of Ben was spot-on

As Blackbeard. And I think Doom was involved.

As Blackbeard. And I think Doom was involved.
It's been yeeeeeeeeeaaaars since I read the Lee/Kirby F4 but that's definitely one of the things I remember the most, Haha. I think Doom had sent them back in time to get something and Ben turned on them

Ben mellowed out a bit later on but boy, he was he a piece of work in the beginning. :funny:

@Crimz: Did you like Rise Of The Silver Surfer better?

Lower in quality, but about the same entertainment wise if I completely shut off my brain. It has more action scenes, but more plot holes and more like a sitcom with the laugh track taken out.

Ben is still the best thing about these films, but he seems completely over his transformation. This means he doesn't really have any humanizing scenes anymore and is only comic relief.

Johnny is still a vapid jerk, but the movie no longer treats it as a good thing. The film meant for it to be a character arc, but he didn't really change at all.

Reed is still dull as dishwater and completely inept.

Sue.... Sue, Sue, Sue. She takes the crown of absolute worst from Johnny. She cares more about her stupid wedding than the fate of the world and is rendered useless against the Silver Surfer for no reason other than to fridge her. Terrible.

Silver Surfer is a great portrayal in a bad film. Such a shame.

Ioan Gruffudd is better in almost everything else he's in. He's more like Reed in other things, and more commanding, more assertive, more intelligent, more ruthless, more charming etc. He's also much better suited to Reed now than he was back in 2005. He was just written badly.

In his show "Forever", he was very like Reed Richards.

Ioan Gruffudd is better in almost everything else he's in. He's more like Reed in other things, and more commanding, more assertive, more intelligent, more ruthless, more charming etc. He's also much better suited to Reed now than he was back in 2005. He was just written badly.

In his show "Forever", he was very like Reed Richards.

It was definitely the script and directors fault, the only miscasts are Sue and Doom. Everyone else would have knocked it out of the park under better circumstances.

I still think X-Force could happen but I agree with the rest of the list

To be fair that Dr. Doom had stolen odin's powers. Normal doom I dont think can stop nukes with a waive of his hands.

Doom has no natural powers, but he has the infinite power of his mind and his ability to modify his armor to his purposes. He also has all kinds of high tech weapons, androids etc. and mystic knowledge and capabilities that allow him to perform Dr. Strange type manipulations.

I don’t know where that scene is from or what he’s supposed to be doing, but I would presume he has controls in his armor that allow him to detonate the missiles.

Cool scene no matter what the details.

It's definitely a cool scene. You might even say fantastic. I tried to do some digging, and I still don't know what's going on in there. But what I do know is that if Doom ever does something like that in the MCU- whether through his own abilities, capabilities of his suit, stolen abilities of another, or using the enemy's weapons against them like he could be here (I totally didn't forget the aspect of onboard missiles- I swear....)- I would be speechless.

tenor-2.gif

Isn't Reed sort of a dick to Ben too? Indirectly, I mean. Ben in the original run was a huge A-hole so it made sense why Johnny wanted to play around with him

A couple of years ago I reread the first fifty or so issues of Fantastic Four. Ben's nasty and sometimes even vicious behavior in the earliest issues was shocking in retrospect. He mellowed out over the years, thank goodness, but in the beginning he was rough.

A couple of years ago I reread the first fifty or so issues of Fantastic Four. Ben's nasty and sometimes even vicious behavior in the earliest issues was shocking in retrospect. He mellowed out over the years, thank goodness, but in the beginning he was rough.

That's why in Marvel Two in One #50 when Ben Grimm goes back in time and meets himself he's shocked how bitter and angry he was back then. He even speaks differently to the classic wisecracking Thing.

I guess we tend to forget how much characters grow into their iconic traits. A lot of them start out pretty different to what we're used to.

I've been reading the original Lee/Kriby run of F4 and am currently up to issue #83. Ben lashing out and leaving/quitting and turning against the team has happened a lot. A couple times it happened under mind control,etc. He can be a dick, yes. But you still sympathize with him and it's understandable because he has some blame on Reed for making him the way he is and is angry that he cannot ever permanently make him human again.

A recent story I read had him turn back into Ben Grimm, but he realized Alicia loved him better when he was The Thing and he chooses to permanently become The Thing again to please her and save the team.

Thing was definitely angst-ridden in those early issues but can you blame the guy? Out of the Four who got irradiated by the cosmic rays he's the one who got the worst out of it. The others got cool superpowers with their appearances largely unaltered while Ben got turned into a monstrous looking freak. I dare anyone to not be bitter and angry from the onset.

Its a tough thing to get used to after awhile but I do wonder if the MCU will downplay the angst in order prevent the tone from getting too serious.

Last edited:
Thing was definitely angst-ridden in those early issues but can you blame the guy? Out of the Four who got irradiated by the cosmic rays he's the one who got the worst out of it. The others got cool superpowers with their appearances largely unaltered while Ben got turned into a monstrous looking freak. I dare anyone to to not be bitter and angry from the onset.

Its a tough thing to get used after awhile but I do wonder if the MCU will downplay the angst in order prevent the tone from getting too serious.

Well I hope they don't spend too long on that because I don't want to have to wait several films before he becomes the Thing we all know and love. If he's only classic Thing by the 3rd film, the public may not even warm to him and might find him too bitter a character to really like.

Thing was definitely angst-ridden in those early issues but can you blame the guy? Out of the Four who got irradiated by the cosmic rays he's the one who got the worst out of it. The others got cool superpowers with their appearances largely unaltered while Ben got turned into a monstrous looking freak. I dare anyone to not be bitter and angry from the onset.

Its a tough thing to get used after awhile but I do wonder if the MCU will downplay the angst in order prevent the tone from getting too serious.
I mean, we don't blame him. I just think he was very mean-spirited and bitter in those early issues. He actively started trouble with people, looking for a fight. He was always going off.. He grew as a person, though, thankfully.

I'd imagine we'll see Ben being sad but he'll accept who he is by the end of the film

Thing was definitely angst-ridden in those early issues but can you blame the guy? Out of the Four who got irradiated by the cosmic rays he's the one who got the worst out of it. The others got cool superpowers with their appearances largely unaltered while Ben got turned into a monstrous looking freak. I dare anyone to to not be bitter and angry from the onset.

Harsh emotions and serious situations are dealt with regularly in the MCU. Feige & co. don't shy away from showing the extreme fallout of personality differences and misbehavior. If the rebooted FF starts out as an origin story, it would make sense for Ben to still be angry about how Reed's miscalculation and rash decision destroyed his life. It should still be an issue between them even if the team has been together for a while when they are introduced.

I know this is super waaaay off-topic, but I was reading the Sony/Marvel contract back from 2011 and one thing that caught my eye was:

“Kingpin” and related characters listed on the attached Schedule 7B, but SPE may not use any of these until after Fox’s production rights to Daredevil expire. Marvel’s use of Kingpin is restricted to use in connection with Daredevil and other characters with which he appeared prior to 9/15/11.

What I don't get from that is what do they mean by "other characters?" Other characters with which Kingpin appeared with? And if so, can Marvel use him in Spider-Man projects if they ever wanted to?

What about The NeverEnding Story or Enemy Mine?
OT but... Such GREAT ****ing movies. Peterson is an underrated director. Most remember TNS because it got a lot of airtime on cable as a kid's fantasy film (but an 80's kid film so it actually had more than just comfort food pablum to offer and wasn't afraid to have some visual or story edge to it... But I digress.) EM has slipped through the pop culture cracks though. And it's a shame. It's a fantastic story with equal gritty darkness and emotional heart. Anyone reading this I would suggest checking both out back to back.

With SONY announcing that they want to do Spider-Man adjacent TV series I started to wonder where actually could they put it?? Only logical place would be Disney+ because SONY does have a TV network or streaming service.

Also it looks like SONY has the rights to do animated features that’s why we’ve never saw a Spider-Man DTV from Marvel. To me that’s the crown jewel Disney should go after. Imagine the MCU related animated Spider-Man stories you could release on Disney+

two things I hope come from this return.... and we need as a society to hear.

One... someone, probably Cap if he survives endgame, needs to give that famous soapbox of Stan the Man's as a speech, or lecture.... to remind us about it.

two... another take on that soapbox was Kitty's speech at a funeral of a mutant driven to suicide... the one where she dropped all those bombs, and then said how hateful those words were....

EM has slipped through the pop culture cracks though. And it's a shame. It's a fantastic story with equal gritty darkness and emotional heart. Anyone reading this I would suggest checking both out back to back.
Agreed. It's one of my favourite movies from the 80s (and it's message is so important, now more than ever)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"