The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - Part 127 (NO SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's en vogue to bash Faraci here, but I think his review is pretty good, though it's negative. He brings up some pretty solid criticisms, though I have to say I'm in love with Bane's voice based on what I've seen. I think it adds a lot.

I was wondering what the reaction would be to the voice since the field footage leaked a while back, though, and obviously Faraci left with a strong opinion of it. Ha.

we all need to have some perspective about these few negative reviews rolling in. So i'll just leave this here so you can all stop taking for granted how lucky we are.

220px-spider-man_3,_international_poster.jpg

masterpiece!

Agreed. The hype was unreal after the first few screenings. I didn't think there would be 6 rottens in the 40 first reviews.

Is it really THAT important what the % on RT is... Sheesh... Some of you care a little too much about these critics' reviews.

@edgarwright Still trying to process the majestic three storey high IMAX of 'Dark Knight Rises'. But my three word review would be: Holy Mackerel Batman.

For those who don't know he Directed Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead and Scott Pilgrim vs the World. A BIG comic geek.

Since when is 86% considered bad? I don't get it, the embargoed lifted 2 days ago. Hundreds of reviews aren't on that site yet.
Inception got a score in 80's and has a 72 on metacritic. And yet, it was still nominated for best picture. That's what people remember- fan reviews, film industry buzz, and accolades. No one remembers what the critics had to say.

It also seems like many here are putting far too much weight on the negative reviews. For instance, Ive not heard much if any talk about Richard Corliss review where he claims its an absolute masterpiece. But Devin Faraci tweets that he cant figure out the movie and everyone loses their minds.

Okay, a serious matter needs to be addressed...

When is everyone taking their last drink before the movie starts? 6 hours before? 4 hours before? I'm not taking a pee during this film.

It matters not! I hold it overnight if I don't feel like getting out of bed.

Agreed. The hype was unreal after the first few screenings. I didn't think there would be 6 rottens in the 40 first reviews.

But that is such a tiny amount of negative reviews. And even two of them are just... stupid.

40 reviews are positive!!!!!! Can't we focus on them?

Where was that tweet that stated that some guy's 9 month pregnant wife didn't even get up to go to the bathroom during TDKR? :lmao:

The thing that I find funny is that so far half of the critics who have given it a rotten, on rotten tomatoes actually seemed like they enjoyed the movie in their reviews. For example if you read Louise Keller's entire review, it comes across as pretty positive with virtually no criticism besides the length. And even more illogical is Devin's review, which criticizes the movie for being full of contradictions when his own review is contradictory as well. I don't understand how you can say a movie is "wildly entertaining" and then simultaneously say its a bad movie. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me if something is wildly entertaining to you, doesn't that mean you must have liked it? I don't know about you but I'm pretty sure I've never been entertained but something I didn't at least like..

The way I see it is they most critics realize that this is a huge movie , probably biggest of the year, from an acclaimed director, and its been praised with early oscar talk, so they know more people will be following their reveiws so they must be extra critical of it so they can justify their jobs!

I have no doubt this occurs to a point, but I think it's too rare to be factored in.

What is more likely, if you're really hunting for some sort of justification for negative or even mildly critical reviews outside of, you know, the fact that people have genuine opinions you might not like, is that reviewers are naturally contrarian.

The way I see it is they most critics realize that this is a huge movie , probably biggest of the year, from an acclaimed director, and its been praised with early oscar talk, so they know more people will be following their reveiws so they must be extra critical of it so they can justify their jobs!

Not really. They just dont like it. Dont look for excuses. Its sad.

86% on RT
40 positive reviews
6 negative

And yet, people are still whining. :dry:

The thing that I find funny is that so far half of the critics who have given it a rotten, on rotten tomatoes actually seemed like they enjoyed the movie in their reviews. For example if you read Louise Keller's entire review, it comes across as pretty positive with virtually no criticism besides the length. And even more illogical is Devin's review, which criticizes the movie for being full of contradictions when his own review is contradictory as well. I don't understand how you can say a movie is "wildly entertaining" and then simultaneously say its a bad movie. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me if something is wildly entertaining to you, doesn't that mean you must have liked it? I don't know about you but I'm pretty sure I've never been entertained but something I didn't at least like..

Happened wit avengers too. It happens a lot in rt. Its weird, i know, but sometimes, a lot of times, you read a positive review and its rotten. I dont get it either, but as the choice is made by the reviewer, i guess they have some reason for it, i guess...

The only one I write off is the Daily Mail review. So to me its 40 positive 5 negative.

After reading about half of the reviews, I'm surprised to hear that Bane is supposedly the weakest character of the cast. Is that strictly due to the juxtaposition with the Joker?

86% on RT
40 positive reviews
6 negative

And yet, people are still whining. :dry:

Its not really whinning; a lot of people get overtly entusistic, they want this movie to be 99%, universally adored, the best movie of the year, winning great oscars, golden statue for demi-god Nolan... And if it doesnt happen they get dissapòinted.

Just a broad generalization, folks; not meant towards all, nor most, not any of you.

At the end of the day this film looks to be well on it's way in trumping the trilogy curse that has plagued this genre for years.

yeah unless it's under 2.5 i would definately say it's fresh. One of the reasons why that Amy critic who reviewed avengers got so much hate, she wrote a negative review but gave it a 3.5 i think but rated it as rotten. It's why I dont really pay attention to them kinda sites. It shoud be an auto rating not the reviewers choice.

I don't find Faraci's review contradictory in the least. He's saying that the film is the most superhero-y of Nolan's Batfilms. That it actually opens up to some of the more fantastical elements of the source material. He's saying it's accessible, but he's confused by that since it still contains everything he doesn't care for in Nolan's Batfilms: the ponderous self-seriousness, the fundamental misunderstanding of the Wayne character, the muddled action and plot-craters.

He's saying it's a decent ride, but has nothing inside it and the more he thinks about it the more frustrating it is.

There's nothing confusing about that.

Why does anyone give a flying **** about reviews? Judge a movie for yourself and to Hell with uppity film critics. Good review, bad review, doesn't matter. There have been movie's with great reviews I hate and movies with bad reviews I love so a critics worth on this planet is fairly negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"