The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - Part 138

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even close. I'd recommend looking up what communism is because they don't fit that description.

The closest thing to communism in this movie is the ruse of an ideal that Bane feeds to the people of Gotham about "taking control of their city" when he only intends on making it a desolate nuclear wasteland. Nothing about that part of the speech is genuine from Bane. That's the false hope he told Bruce he would be instilling within the people of Gotham. This movie makes sure to critique all current forms of government/groups.

The LoS finds all forms of government inefficient and thinks the only way to make people understands is through dramatic examples.

Ok, their "RUSE" was then. as they were conveying the idea that they were creating a classless, moneyless, and stateless social order structured upon common ownership.

I'm just going to assume that Bane had a man working in the prison as a guard, who played the news broadcast over the speakers. This didn't bother me at all that much. I'm not a nitpicker. I understand movie magic.

Last edited:
So is Wayne Enterprises done with? It is no more?

Ra's was right, Bruce Wayne was his greatest student.

[BLACKOUT]Not his daughter and not Bane.[/BLACKOUT]

oIDvK.jpg

So true.

Different city? It's still exactly the same when it comes to the rich and poor.

Sure a good deal of criminal activity has been reduced but that doesn't mean that there isn't still a huge disparity gap between the wealthy and the poor. Didn't you catch the remark the little orphan kid made? "Apparently there are more jobs down there than up here". Look at Selina who is a professional cat burglar but is still unable to have anything but a rundown studio in the skirts of the city with her little thief friend. That shows just how unbalanced things have become and how the worth of the dollar is down in the gutters. This movie isn't only trying to show that Gotham is in the same rut but that much of the "free" world isn't to far off. They're using Gotham as an example as it's the most prominent city in the world in that universe.

I'm sure San Francisco, New York, Chicago all look perfectly fine if you look at it superficially but it's festering and plagued by poverty nonetheless. Gotham is in a similar situation.

The League of Shadows doesn't think any part of humanity should have that kind of economic inequality and have the right to call themselves a just civilization.

GREAT post. This is what I've been struggling to put into words when people ask me about the LOS's motivations. They're not explicitly spelled out in the film, but they're there.

Add to that the stuff from Begins with Ra's revealing that they originally attacked Gotham economically years prior, and it becomes even more clear. That very attack is what led to extreme desperation and the rise of more criminality, rendering Gotham the corrupt city we saw in Begins and TDK.

"When a society reaches the pinnacle of its decadence, we return to restore the balance."

I think people mistook the LOS's motives to be to simply wipe away criminality. That's not the entire truth though really. Decadence and balance are the key words here. Gotham was a cleaner place in TDKR, sure, but that didn't eliminate the economic disparity that always existed there. I think Ra's used Bruce's anger against criminals to focus his training and attempted to brainwash him into becoming The Punisher, because they were on a mission to destroy Gotham. Unfortunately for Ra's and the LOS, he became the Batman.

Last edited:
The issue isn't so much that the villains don't have motives beyond revenge. They do. Its that the weight of these motivations takes a backseat to the import of the revenge aspects. The issues lie in the execution of all this, that these motives are thin, vaguely explained, and never really adequately developed or explored.

Ra's Al Ghul at least sort of half explained his thoughts on the future in BATMAN BEGINS, on what destroying Gotham would accomplish. Bane just says he's ushering in a "new era of Western civilization". And that’s supposed to suffice?
"A new era of Western civilization" is a nice villain concept to think about for about three seconds, but as a part of this film, it means next to nothing if you're not going to explore it, especially when they’re destroying what may well be the remainder of the League of Shadows, as well as Bane and Talia in the explosion. I’m not sure how they intend to accomplish this new era in Western Civilization after Gotham is destroyed. I'm not sure Bane even understands what will have to happen for that to take place. Apparently the world will just fall apart if Gotham is destroyed.

Bosef said this, and is spot on:

1 - Talia and Bane want to destroy Gotham. Think - what would happen if NY was wiped off the face of the map. Just clear wiped off the map in a terrifying 5-month siege and nuclear fallout. The world economy would tumble. It would crash. The ripple effect of losing the financial hub of the world, nevermind the psychological fallout, would be terrifying. Talia and Bane hope to destroy Gotham and wipe clean the slate, honoring her father's legacy. Like most children, you tend to only appreciate your parents fully after their gone. Same with Talia... Now wiping Gotham clean off the map in an instant doesn't let the world watch it tear itself apart, which adds to the psychological effect, it stocks fear of your neighbors across the country. He misleads the people of Gotham so they are primed to tear themselves apart. Then, they'll destroy Gotham, completing both the physical and psychological terror necessary to plunge the world into a new era.

And there’d be even more of an impact on the world than that. And if that had been satisfactorily explored…and that impact felt…it would have been a decent motivation. Instead, however, we get “We’re going to usher in a new era of Western civilization”. And no, assuming the audience will just get how this would take place is not enough. The only motive given weight is Talia’s desire for revenge. And these motivations are also fairly derivative, because they’re basically what Ra’s wanted to do to Gotham in BATMAN BEGINS. They're just not that interestingly handled. “Someone else’s motivation with a vague impact” is just not a strong enough motivation/plot for an individual new character, let alone two new characters.

In much the same manner, when, as a writer, you hinge your film on the idea of economic disparity, but all you show or tell me about Gotham’s economic issues is that orphans and criminals have been going into the sewers for “work” because there are no jobs on the surface, a single line of this, that tells me nothing realistic about the state of Gotham City for the average person. So when you tell me there’s economic inequality, or that the rich should be viewed as evil, other than my personal bias (which I do not possess against the rich) there’s nothing for this to stand on based on what the film shows, and the element just feels forced.

There are so many GREAT ideas in this film, that can foster additional thought about various concepts, but so few of them are paid anything but lip service.

A very good still to have an exclusive on. :up:
I know, that was a really exciting day for me! That one in particular was in a magazine, but I think Batman-News.com is the only place that has the actual still photo in HQ. Here are the others I was sent that day: http://batman-news.com/2012/05/23/exclusive-new-hq-stills-from-the-dark-knight-rises/

I'll release them without my watermark later this fall... I'm just waiting to see if Andre@s or someone will release them (and hopefully a ton more) in UHQ... *fingers crossed*

Last edited:
Now that would be great. I'm just happy we have an HD of this picture which is one of my favorites:

CMUu4.jpg

I'll release them without my watermark later this fall... I'm just waiting to see if Andre@s or someone will release them (and hopefully a ton more) in UHQ... *fingers crossed*
Oh that would be excellent. Batman-News is definitely the place to go.
Yikes! The aspect ratio is off on that version. Here's the UHQ version that WB released (6144x4088): http://i.imgur.com/zPjug.jpg
Yeah, I saved that to my collection as soon as it came out. I'm glad to have that in HQ.

Someone who was kind enough to go through the script and find the remaining mistakes just emailed me this morning, (won't say who, don't think they're a member on here) so hopefully it won't take me too long to put all the corrections into the original Celtx file them reexport as PDF.

Therefore I've taken down the original Mediafire link, looks like everyone's using that link, sharing it via Twitter, articles etc. - I would kindly ask anyone who has the PDF, could you please not upload it as I finish up on this once and for all. I'll upload the final, fully corrected version on a different site where you can read it online as well, since also people apparently get viruses from the Mediafire ads?

Thanks everyone for hanging in there, hoping for this now to be the definitive version until WB probably releases it online officially in time for Oscar season like with TDK.

GREAT post. This is what I've been struggling to put into words when people ask me about the LOS's motivations. They're not explicitly spelled out in the film, but they're there.

Add to that the stuff from Begins with Ra's revealing that they originally attacked Gotham economically years prior, and it becomes even more clear. That very attack is what led to extreme desperation and the rise of more criminality, rendering Gotham the corrupt city we saw in Begins and TDK.

"When a society reaches the pinnacle of its decadence, we return to restore the balance."

I think people mistook the LOS's motives to be to simply wipe away criminality. That's not the entire truth though really. Decadence and balance are the key words here. Gotham was a cleaner place in TDKR, sure, but that didn't eliminate the economic disparity that always existed there. I think Ra's used Bruce's anger against criminals to focus his training and attempted to brainwash him into becoming The Punisher, because they were on a mission to destroy Gotham. Unfortunately for Ra's and the LOS, he became the Batman.

Good points. :up:

So is Wayne Enterprises done with? It is no more?

There was a line in the movie which said that Fox will prove that the selling of the shares / stocks by Bane (using BW's the stolen fingerprints ) was a fraudulent transaction and that Fox try recover the Bruce Wayne's share in the company.

But with Bruce assumed dead, I guess someone like Alfred or Fox will run the company in his name.

There was a line in the movie which said that Fox will prove that the selling of the shares / stocks by Bane (using BW's the stolen fingerprints ) was a fraudulent transaction and that Fox try recover the Bruce Wayne's share in the company.

But with Bruce assumed dead, I guess someone like Alfred or Fox will run the company in his name.
Cool, there is still hope for Wayne Enterprises.

The issue isn't so much that the villains don't have motives beyond revenge. They do. Its that the weight of these motivations takes a backseat to the import of the revenge aspects. The issues lie in the execution of all this, that these motives are thin, vaguely explained, and never really adequately developed or explored.

Ra's Al Ghul at least sort of half explained his thoughts on the future in BATMAN BEGINS, on what destroying Gotham would accomplish. Bane just says he's ushering in a "new era of Western civilization". And that’s supposed to suffice?
"A new era of Western civilization" is a nice villain concept to think about for about three seconds, but as a part of this film, it means next to nothing if you're not going to explore it, especially when they’re destroying what may well be the remainder of the League of Shadows, as well as Bane and Talia in the explosion. I’m not sure how they intend to accomplish this new era in Western Civilization after Gotham is destroyed. I'm not sure Bane even understands what will have to happen for that to take place. Apparently the world will just fall apart if Gotham is destroyed.

Bosef said this, and is spot on:

1 - Talia and Bane want to destroy Gotham. Think - what would happen if NY was wiped off the face of the map. Just clear wiped off the map in a terrifying 5-month siege and nuclear fallout. The world economy would tumble. It would crash. The ripple effect of losing the financial hub of the world, nevermind the psychological fallout, would be terrifying. Talia and Bane hope to destroy Gotham and wipe clean the slate, honoring her father's legacy. Like most children, you tend to only appreciate your parents fully after their gone. Same with Talia... Now wiping Gotham clean off the map in an instant doesn't let the world watch it tear itself apart, which adds to the psychological effect, it stocks fear of your neighbors across the country. He misleads the people of Gotham so they are primed to tear themselves apart. Then, they'll destroy Gotham, completing both the physical and psychological terror necessary to plunge the world into a new era.

And there’d be even more of an impact on the world than that. And if that had been satisfactorily explored…and that impact felt…it would have been a decent motivation. Instead, however, we get “We’re going to usher in a new era of Western civilization”. And no, assuming the audience will just get how this would take place is not enough. The only motive given weight is Talia’s desire for revenge. And these motivations are also fairly derivative, because they’re basically what Ra’s wanted to do to Gotham in BATMAN BEGINS. They're just not that interestingly handled. “Someone else’s motivation with a vague impact” is just not a strong enough motivation/plot for an individual new character, let alone two new characters.

In much the same manner, when, as a writer, you hinge your film on the idea of economic disparity, but all you show or tell me about Gotham’s economic issues is that orphans and criminals have been going into the sewers for “work” because there are no jobs on the surface, a single line of this, that tells me nothing realistic about the state of Gotham City for the average person. So when you tell me there’s economic inequality, or that the rich should be viewed as evil, other than my personal bias (which I do not possess against the rich) there’s nothing for this to stand on based on what the film shows, and the element just feels forced.

There are so many GREAT ideas in this film, that can foster additional thought about various concepts, but so few of them are paid anything but lip service.

So, Selina's words and warning to Bruce don't count? Or the fact that Alfred openly acknowledges that the city doesn't need Batman but Bruce Wayne...his resources, his knowledge, only for that to come to fruition at the end of the film doesn't count?

There's absolutely enough shown and told within the film to get the point across. It's just not overt, as you would like it.

The Dent Act rid the city of the overt organized crime element. But, it didn't fix the city's internal problems...still there since Begins. Hence, Alfred's plea to Bruce to be his father.

Ummm....Selina perhaps?

I mean, that's one of her purposes through out the film. She and Blake are the "in" for the audience. Yes, she's Catwoman. Go beyond the exterior and see how Nolan uses her through out the film. She's the physical embodiment of the idea...just as the Joker was the physical embodiment of Nolan's idea in Knight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"