The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 144

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isearch4dope

Isearch4dope Well-Known Member

2. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

Speaking of big epic finale,

I hate the nuclear bomb plot, especially the moment when Pavil steps back after tinkering with the bomb for minutes and says "It is now a bomb". Its just soooo stupid. The whole thing was Michael Bay worthy. Not that I don't like Michael Bay and his fun films, but I expect more from Nolan. I wanted something deeper than a convoluted plot to nuke gotham. Everything revolving around that bomb and Bane's and Talia's ignorant plot makes me want to punch a bear into hibernation.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  3. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

http://youtu.be/fLyoog562x4?t=1m30s

4. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

5. Isearch4dope

I saw what you did there :woot:

6. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the moment Fox started fiddling around and pushing buttons on the console, they'd have shot him in the head and used his lifeless hand to activate the reactor lol. I highly doubt it was as simple as pushing one button.

I love HISHE videos though, they're funny as hell.

7. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Hear hear :up:

8. BatLobsterRises

He was only holed up in the mansion for 3 years. People always seem to forget. His leg could have slowly deteriorated during that time. I don't believe he was hobbling around on a cane when he was working on the fusion reactor project during the first 5 years of the story gap, personally. I see the cane as part of his hermit "persona", which was only 3 years.

9. Anita18

Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

And um, for someone who has depression, just getting up and "doing that thing you're totally could do" is impossible. :oldrazz:

10. BatLobsterRises

Too true.

That's a depressed Bruce Wayne for ya. He broods and wallows.

11. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Then what's the point of having an emergency flood system, if you can't, you know, use it in an emergency?

12. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

Their Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade is probably the funniest one they have. Its so funny.

13. shauner111

shauner111 Well-Known Member

People on here don't seem to understand, when you're severely depressed..you don't want to fix yourself. There's almost a comfort at a point in what you're doing, or not doing I should say. You also lack the energy to do those things, even to eat (as we see on that skimpy tray of food at the start of the movie). Bruce, has turned into Harvey Dent when he was in that hospital bed after he learnt of Rachel's death. Dent didn't want to help himself, he refused it. When you're depressed or angry like that, you embrace it until somebody helps you or you come to the realization yourself that you need to move on.

This is why Bruce didn't get the brace until Selina and Bane came into his life and saw the possibility of Batman. And Blake was another character that opened his eyes when he learnt that orphans weren't getting what they were supposed to in schools.

He could have easily went to get surgery or knocked on Fox's door during those 8 years. But it's not something he wanted to do.

14. BatLobsterRises

Well, it shouldn't be so easy to do that someone could activate it accidentally by pressing one button. This is an investment worth billions we're talking about. After all, Lucius had to teach Miranda how to do it. We never actually get to see how it works though.

I think Bruce just wanted to always have the option available to get rid of the thing, for any number of reasons, including if him potentially deciding once and for all that it wasn't worth the risk. I don't know that he was envisioning a scenario where seconds would count and Pavel himself would be there to turn the thing into a bomb.

15. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

Bruce faking his death still annoys me more than the bomb or knee.

16. The Joker

But he wasn't severely depressed. Not for the first 5 years. Otherwise he wouldn't have bothered his ass with an energy project to help people would he.

17. Anita18

Maybe he was doing other things to shore up his knee then. Physical therapy and the like. And then when he fell into deep depression, he stopped doing them. The brace was merely an immediate fix, and when he started working out again in the pit, it was enough physical therapy that he could function without the brace.

I feel like people are nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. :dry:

18. The Joker

For 5 years? But some physical working out in a prison pit and it's all better?

Yeah don't think so.

Bruce Wayne leaving his body in unnecessary injury for years is not a nit pick.

19. georgec

georgec Not a hero

^ All of this.

As a side note will people ever realize that the knee brace was just something that helped with alignment and tightened everything up in the knee area? Some people took it so literally that it was a magic knee brace that fixed everything. No, it was just something that stabilized the joint and allowed him to move with less pain.

20. Anita18

Jumping off buildings and gliding the way he does, would rip out a man's arms in real life. :oldrazz: It's fantasy.

And for your second point, it's the story Nolan wanted to tell. What if Bruce Wayne lost all reason to be Batman? Hence, TDKR...

21. ThePhantasm

That's part of my problem with the emergency flood. It seems it is only there as a plot device to force Bruce to fly the bomb out over the bay. It doesn't seem like something that could be used in a real emergency.

The best thing would have been to set up an emergency system that Lucius or anyone could activate in the process of activating the fusion reactor, so that no one who was watching would notice anything was amiss.

22. Isearch4dope

Don't think the point was directed for me but I know exactly what it's like. If he was really depressed he wouldn't even want to be batman any more if needs be. I gathered a man frozen in time who felt as though he had nothing else to offer and was just waiting for some action or as Alfred said waiting for things to go bad again to regain that feeling of purpose. If we had time to actually see him brooding by himself and maybe even shedding a tear nothing more needed to be said. It never felt as though he was at rock bottom even in the pit. There was no desperation.

23. ThePhantasm

Agreed. Many of these "explanations" (like he was doing physical therapy for 5 years) collapse into themselves upon scrutiny. The film shouldn't have to rest on so many "maybes" as a crutch.

24. The Joker

Lets not wave the fantasy excuse for shoddy writing. He's wearing an armored suit that supports his cape and body. It's more believable than curing an 8 year old knee injury with no cartilage in your knees just by doing some working out.

That's just an insult to the intelligence. As is the miracle back cure he got.

Yeah, that's the problem people have with it. It's a sloppily written story.

25. The Joker

Exactly. It's all shoddy conjecture. Nothing more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.