The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - Part 155

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the thread

tumblr_nc2lngAxCK1tp6rxbo1_400.gif

I hope everyone had a great Christmas! :up:

I did thanks. Got a great Batman related prezzie, too; the entire 60's Batman show on blu-ray.

I got the 66' series too. I bought for myself. Also The Dark Knight Trilogy on Blu-ray. It was an offer from Black Friday, but I decided to wait after Christmas to start watching it.

Also, I got for Christmas an awesome a functional mini Bat-Signal!, a Bat-money box figure, a Bat-license plate holder, a Bat-Sticker, and...err a Green Lantern cap.

It was great!

Speaking of Batman '66'... A relative of mine gave me two Batman '66' related trades for Christmas.

51emro2ofZL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

61Mzy-6pkML._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Need to make the time to read it.

I did thanks. Got a great Batman related prezzie, too; the entire 60's Batman show on blu-ray.

I have a couple of questions about the 60's Batman: Does the series establish continuity in the sense of referencing earlier adventures? And, what's the series finale like?

I got the Mad Max Anthology, blu-ray, with some collectible cards depicting artwork from the old posters. Really gorgeous artwork. Its a shame you don't see those kind of posters anymore.

Watching Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, I can see some similarities between TDKR Bane and Lord Humungus. Both are given to pontification and project themselves as larger than life figures.

I can't help but wonder if the montage of Bane's Gotham would've been pushing the PG-13 rating if we saw the rabble going after the citizens like Lord Humungus's dogs of war attacking the oil refinery's people. You know - make it a big homage to those scenes from The Road Warrior. Except with people being shotgunned down and hauled to Crane's court.

I have a couple of questions about the 60's Batman: Does the series establish continuity in the sense of referencing earlier adventures? And, what's the series finale like?

Yeah there is a continuity in that sense. Several times previous episode adventures are referenced throughout the series. Sometimes even used as plot points, like Penguin recognizing Alfred when he was being an undercover spy for Batman, because Penguin knew who Alfred was from a previous episode where he had kidnapped and brain washed him.

There was no series finale. They found out after they had finished season 3 that the show wasn't getting renewed for a 4th season. So the show ends on a standard Batman adventure.

The ballot for the 2015 Hype Awards is up!!!
Please copy and paste and send your votes to me via PM.
If you would like a copy of the ballot PM'd to you, message me and one will be sent out.
Public ballots will not be counted. Deadline in 11:59pm Sun Jan 10, 2015

The Official Ballot

The ballot for the 2015 Hype Awards is up!!!
Please copy and paste and send your votes to me via PM.
If you would like a copy of the ballot PM'd to you, message me and one will be sent out.
Public ballots will not be counted. Deadline in 11:59pm Sun Jan 10, 2015

The Official Ballot

Just sent you my votes. :up:

I should have wrote in this thread for "Thread of the Year". I didn't think of it, but all of you other regulars should do so!

Strange thought, does Jett still like this trilogy? Or has he done the thing I expect him to do: suddenly hate on the trilogy to prop up batfleck?

Strange thought, does Jett still like this trilogy? Or has he done the thing I expect him to do: suddenly hate on the trilogy to prop up batfleck?

Nah. Jett still very much loves the trilogy. He's more in the "I got my Batman, everything else is gravy" boat. I think he's got way too much personal attachment to it (especially Begins) to ever turn his back on it, it was the height of his site's popularity and he knows he's basically a dinosaur now in the social media age with his non-spoiler policies.

He is very pro-Affleck and generally positive towards the movie, but he hasn't shied away from being critical here and there (he wasn't a big fan of the last trailer), and he still has some concerns about Batman sharing the screen with metas. I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I think Jett has kind of mellowed out a bit these days. He even did a recent podcast where he talked about the aspects of Batman Returns that he likes.

Ha, no, he's more of a "I got my Batman, and me and Nolan are the bestest friends ever, and everything else sucks....did I mention I'm friends with Nolan".

He's still up Nolan's butt, yeah, but he's being very supportive of Snyder too. If Snyder was giving him exclusive interviews and stuff I'm sure he'd be just as obnoxious about it.

I haven't been there in a couple years. So I guess he's fine with Batman sharing screen time with other heroes? He was the BIGGEST advocate against a JL movie, or any kind of teamup movie with Batman in it. That was one of the reasons why Jow got banned there, cause he got in a huge debate with Jett about a JL movie, and then Jow started his own board during TDK days.

It took him a long time to come around, but it seems like he's basically on board with it. In a recent podcast I listened to he mentioned some concerns about what the general audience is going to think about seeing Batman in that setting, but he's more or less accepted that this is the way the genre is moving post-Marvel and he's rooting for the movie to succeed.

That's why I think he got a bit humbled. All his "beating the drum" meant diddly squat, so it was either get dragged kicking and screaming or suck it up and go with the flow.

I think he's got way too much personal attachment to it (especially Begins) to ever turn his back on it, it was the height of his site's popularity

I agree with all of this. Not only was the "Batman Begins" era the height of BOF's popularity, it would be the last time Jett was truly relevant, IMO.

I remember when Begins came out and he was asked who he'd want to direct the next Batman film if Nolan didn't and he said Snyder. Also he was supportive of Affleck ages ago saying he was his choice for director of a solo Batman film and he even said he wouldn't be shocked if he cast himself as Batman were he to direct it.

I just see Jett as a passionate man and like every human who ever lived he will change his mind on things. We all do that with stuff and it's not a crime. He's clearly happy because he got a trilogy of Batman films that he wanted so whatever they do now he always has that trilogy. I think sometimes he can be a little annoying but he just loves Batman so much.

This is from someone who had a fallout with him where he called me a fanboy aswell, I think I just caught him on a bad day lol

I agree with all of this. Not only was the "Batman Begins" era the height of BOF's popularity, it would be the last time Jett was truly relevant, IMO.

That's probably true and maybe reason why he was thinking of stopping doing BOF.

Good call BH/HHH, yeah I do kinda remember that too. If I recall he was a big fan of Watchmen and was all for Zack Snyder doing a Dark Knight Returns adaptation. And you're right, he was always a big supporter of Affleck. He may not have wanted to see Batman with all of the JL members, but it's all probably happening under the best possible circumstances for him considering the people involved.

You have to consider that when he started the site, it was all a reaction to Batman & Robin. It was about sending the message that fans wanted more serious Batman movies. So I think for a long time he took it upon himself to oppose anything that seemed like a slippery slope back to over the top, campy Batman. It makes sense. But that was nearly 20 years ago, and times have changed again.

Anyhow, he seems happy with his little niche now.

Jett was a little much after Rises, but i've always been OK with the guy. He loves that trilogy, so good for him.

I also don't really care for Justice League. If i had my way i would have Batman stand-alones for the rest of my life. But it's happening, so why not ask for the best possible version of a Justice League or Batman/Superman showdown. At least they have a plan to do a solo film. It's not like it's all crossovers from now until 2025. So Jett is a little more excited for it compared to 3 years ago. If it was all cross-over, he would be *****ing and moaning, guaranteed.

I just see Jett as a passionate man and like every human who ever lived he will change his mind on things. We all do that with stuff and it's not a crime.
I have no problems with people changing their minds, but when someone was so hardcore in their convictions about how Batman should be portrayed on film, to the point of outright banning people who just had a difference of opinion, it comes as a HUGE surprise that he would be fine with it now. He was outright tyrannical with the way he treated people on his forum, so sure, it's not a crime to do so, but it's pretty shocking, especially with how he handled himself in the past.

Because he's such a loud minority at this point that he probably thinks "why bother".

Everyone seems to be kissing Affleck's ass when it was the opposite when he was cast. People have their issues with how much they gave away with the last trailer, but for the most part the majority is excited for this movie and this new Batman. They're down with a Justice League. They want their own Marvel universe. Jett or me for that matter can care less anymore, but we're a loud minority so why waste your breath when people will just jump on you by the hundreds if you say anything bad about Batfleck. It's the "out with the old, in with the new" attitude. People have already made their mind (not the general audience mind you) on how awesome Ben is going to be based on his look alone. Jett has confidence in Affleck's performance not just his look, but the fanboys think he's going to be the messiah and that this movie will be a classic. At least Jett is still questioning some stuff, and isn't sure about the quality of the movie or how the heroes will mesh.

Last edited:
Ha, well, I went over to BOF for the first time in years, to see what he's saying. Pretty much what I thought. :hehe:

Jett said:
As much as I like Ben Affleck as Batman and I'm VERY much looking forward to his solo film as both star and director, I still am very apprehensive about Batman around these superpowered beings. Of course, this is coming from someone who is a Batman fan and not much of a fan of the JL or Batman team-ups.

Well, it'll definitely be interesting to see his review of the movie.

Personally, I'm also in the camp of preferring a solo Batman, but I understand that this makes the most sense right now as a way to relaunch the character so there's no sense in complaining about it constantly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"