The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - Part 155

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given their armored Arkham Knight suit that is clearly inspired by TDK suit, I am not surprised. Funny how people who loathe the TDK suit give that one a pass.

I also thought the Arkham Origins suit looked TDK inspired. The cowl more so.

Don't blame ya because it will happen. I'll admit I do have a bit of fatigue from those films, since they just blew up and people swore this was like the new Batman bible. And frankly tired of Joker in general, no disrespect towards Ledger. I think the other problem for Nolan was half-way between TDK & TDKR. He stuck so hard to this "realistic" setting which limited things for fans. We want to see Clayface, we want to see Mr. Freeze or use the Lazarus pits and bring back Ra's. It felt he was depriving some fun from us as well, again no disrespect towards the man at all, love his trilogy (even TDKR unlike most) and in his work in general. But I think people are very hungry for a new, non-Nolan Batman.
But that's the thing that makes me laugh with comic book fans. Do they not realize that Batman will be out there in the form of movies for decades and decades?? There's always time for those characters, time for new interpretations. If you dont get it with Nolan it's not the end of the world. It's not surprising since people on forums like this are either teenagers/early 20's or they're older but still incredibly impatient. They want everything at once and don't look too far into the story. Nolans movies would feel incredibly awkward and out of place if you had a Mr. Freeze, a Justice League, a Clayface, a Man-Bat. So you should be able to take a deep breath, look into the story and realize that Nolan is doing the essentials, not every single character and certainly not any super-powered villain that he can get his hands on. And then say to yourself "OK, ill take this universe as it is, judge the movies as they are, and hope that one day another team comes along in a new universe that gives me Freeze and Clayface".

It has to work for the universe. And there's always going to be a new vision right around the corner. Fans can't expect Snyder and Affleck to use all of their favorite characters either, just because it's a universe that could deliver on a monster villain. I wouldn't get mad at Ben and Zack for not using my favorite characters if it didn't work or if there wasn't enough time to do it. I would just wait patiently for someone elses turn, maybe in a world that is closed off and more gothic.

Im sure most people outside of the fanbase will diss Affleck for his acting or how he looks too big, how the movies are stupid and they still don't get why Batman has to be in the same movie as Superman or Wonder Woman. Only the fans know and care about these kind of things. If you never picked up a comic, then you probably have no idea that fans are going crazy for a grey and black suit. The general public also doesn't give a s**t or even notices how long or short the ears are on a damn cowl.

Comic book accuracy means nothing, only to hardcore comic book readers. Most folks just want a good movie and a good story.

I guarantee one thing, if it happens of course. If Ben's voice is just as growly as Bale, the Snyder fanboys over on the the other thread will make their excuses. I guaran-damn-tee it. They will still complain about Bale and act like Ben's voice was better.

Oddly, I really didn't care for the first Cap film at all. Didn't hate it but really did not care for it. Though I love Man of Steel BUT I do like Cap's character more in the end. I do feel there is great potential for Clark there, especially with Henry Cavill there. They just need to show it! Use it!

I didn't think that the first Cap movie was amazing (like Batman Begins), but I thought they did a solid job of presenting Captain America and setting him for future films. I didn't get that feeling from Mos and instead left feeling that the future DC universe was on shaky ground.

Yep. Proof that the haters are just a loud minority. The developers at Rocksteady also called the TDK suit one of the best Bat suits ever; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSejUvS9m1w&t=7m30s

I'm sure if this was posted in the BvS costume thread you'd have people thinking they were personally bribed by Chris Nolan to say that.

Also yeah on social media there has been some criticism of the Affleck suit and a lot of people complimenting the Bale suit.

Some people don't realize they are in an echo chamber and their views don't represent everyone's.

I'm always interested in the next iteration but never dis the last ones. They all have a place in my fandom history and they suit the movies that they are from. I am usually pretty harsh on fans but I think I'm starting to realise why and how some things are hated and loved. Maybe..

But that's the thing that makes me laugh with comic book fans. Do they not realize that Batman will be out there in the form of movies for decades and decades?? There's always time for those characters, time for new interpretations. If you dont get it with Nolan it's not the end of the world. It's not surprising since people on forums like this are either teenagers/early 20's or they're older but still incredibly impatient. They want everything at once and don't look too far into the story. Nolans movies would feel incredibly awkward and out of place if you had a Mr. Freeze, a Justice League, a Clayface, a Man-Bat. So you should be able to take a deep breath, look into the story and realize that Nolan is doing the essentials, not every single character and certainly not any super-powered villain that he can get his hands on. And then say to yourself "OK, ill take this universe as it is, judge the movies as they are, and hope that one day another team comes along in a new universe that gives me Freeze and Clayface".

It has to work for the universe. And there's always going to be a new vision right around the corner. Fans can't expect Snyder and Affleck to use all of their favorite characters either, just because it's a universe that could deliver on a monster villain. I wouldn't get mad at Ben and Zack for not using my favorite characters if it didn't work or if there wasn't enough time to do it. I would just wait patiently for someone elses turn, maybe in a world that is closed off and more gothic.

I agree with you 100% on everything you said. But yeah people are generally impatient, yes Mr. Freeze would not fit at all in the Nolan-verse. But I was speaking from the context of the Nolan times, before TDKR was even out. At the time we were unsure if there would be a third one, since TDK didn't set it up for one, Nolan was not pushing for a sequel and Ledger's death.

But then TDKR did come out and I think we kind of assumed Batman would be retired... for some time, but not sure when. Remember Batman was retired before for 8 years (1997 B&R - 2005 BB), plus back then the internet did not exist in the capacity it does today where we could have gotten a leak about Batman Begins maybe a year or two prior, I don't know. Now it has only been 4 years (2012 TDKR - 2016 BvS). Plus, now we live in a world with "Oh Amazing Spider-Man 2 flopped, OKAY, re-boot the franchise." The very day after TDKR came out, that did not exist at the time.

Again, I totally agree with you and am not trying to defend these impatient, whiny little people just trying to provide some context.

Does anyone consider Gotham Knight canon?

Being as how none of the movies reference the stuff that happens in Gotham Knight, I would treat it as fan fiction for the Dark Knight Trilogy. According to Gotham Knight, the Narrows were basically turned into Arkham City. You could take Gordon's comment that the Narrows were lost to validate the place being turned into AC, but other than a mention of Arkham in Dark Knight we never see the place again.

Also Deadshot and Killer Croc are both in Gotham Knight but they never showed up or were mentioned in the movies.
batman-gotham-knight-killer-croc-dc-animation.jpg

latest

Last edited:
The purpose of those stories was to fill the gap between BB and TDK. I think it was an interesting experiment. There are a couple stories I really liked, those being In Darkness Dwells and Working Thorough Pain. There were some odd choices, I didn't really care for the design in some pieces, most prominently in Field Test. They gave us a sorta Nolanized Killer Croc and Deadshot, even Crispus Allen was brought into the fray.

Kevin Conroy, as always, did a great job. There was some good talent involved with writers like Greg Rucka, Brian Azzarello and Alan Burnett. So all in all, it was good but not necessarily exceptional.

I think the "Why so serious?" viral marketing was better at filling the gaps. And it was way more official with the involvement of the Nolan crew.

The purpose of those stories was to fill the gap between BB and TDK. I think it was an interesting experiment. There are a couple stories I really liked, those being In Darkness Dwells and Working Thorough Pain. There were some odd choices, I didn't really care for the design in some pieces, most prominently in Field Test. They gave us a sorta Nolanized Killer Croc and Deadshot, even Crispus Allen was brought into the fray.

Kevin Conroy, as always, did a great job. There was some good talent involved with writers like Greg Rucka, Brian Azzarello and Alan Burnett. So all in all, it was good but not necessarily exceptional.

I think the "Why so serious?" viral marketing was better at filling the gaps. And it was way more official with the involvement of the Nolan crew.

Yeah, not bad at all. I liked it, though there are better Batman stories out there. I do love the commentary with O'Neil on it. Wish they'd get him for more stuff. But yeah "filling the gaps" never though of that. Safe to say WB really wanted more Batman and the audience as well. Saying it was taking place after BB was probably an afterthought just to get it to sell more and keep the new Batman franchise fresh & relevant.

Ah yes, Gotham Knight. I have hardly seen animation so beautiful wasted on something so uneventful.

Animatrix was a better use of anime tie in for a movie.

Yeah, Gotham Knight probably would've been a bit more impressive if I didn't already have Animatrix to compare it to, which WB was clearly trying to recreate with it. And yes, The Animatrix was fantastic.

That said, a few of them weren't bad. But I haven't watched it in ages.

Merry Christmas to our little group of regulars who come here to this thread.

To The Batman, one of my old school Hype buddies who still completes me! BatlobsterRises, for being one of the most mature and pleasant posters to talk to. Shauner for his undying passion to Nolan's TDK trilogy. Ryan for all our great chats about the Nolan Bat movies, and your awesome Batman collection you shared with me on Facebook. Travesty for being Travesty. Kane for the endless supply of brilliant gifs. Tacit Ronin for being a good pleasant contributor to the discussions. theShape for being a good debater and all around contributor. And anyone else whom comes by here from time to time to shoot the breeze.

What a thoughtful post, Joker. Merry Christmas to you and yours, too! Love that we all still get to hang out in here. It's been so nice to have an alternative to the overcrowded and chaotic thread that most Batman discussion takes place in these days.

And I'll add JackWhite to that list too, for being a super chill guy with good taste, who never loses his cool but isn't afraid to tell it like it is.

f0199a00c03dc21fdae0443d68a8b64b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"