The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - Part 156

Probably the same ppl who think the Martha reveal was fantastic.

Harsh.

Still frustrating though.

Arriving to that moment, after all that soul crushing experience of seeing my favorite heroes being misunderstood and badly deconstructed, I found that moment a relief (i wanted World's Finest, not another Batman vs Superman). I was willing to let that pass, because I'm sentimental that way. I didn't want to hold grudges because of that single moment. But after it ended, it's just a movie I cannot withstand.

Just re-watched this again yesterday, and it remains my favorite of all the Bale films (though I enjoy them all.)

Just re-watched this again yesterday, and it remains my favorite of all the Bale films (though I enjoy them all.)
You liked it more than Batman Begins? I feel that's the best movie in the Nolan trilogy

This film is still an incredible, emotional and epic conclusion to the trilogy. The performances are amazing, the fight scenes and scope are fantastic and that damn score is incredible. TDKR remains my fave 3rd film in a comic book movie trilogy.

TDK
Batman Begins
TDKR

The first Bane/Batman fight is perhaps my favourite movie fight ever. It's very easy to follow and the lack of music allowed for the action to build the intensity on its own. Watching Batman be beaten down so easily was gut-wrenching. Plus, the fight itself feels real; no fancy martial arts. Sure martial arts are real and are used by fighters but in a real-life situation, people don't go around throwing high leg kicks, followed by spinning hurricanranas (sp?) or what have you.

The first Bane/Batman fight is perhaps my favourite movie fight ever. It's very easy to follow and the lack of music allowed for the action to build the intensity on its own. Watching Batman be beaten down so easily was gut-wrenching. Plus, the fight itself feels real; no fancy martial arts. Sure martial arts are real and are used by fighters but in a real-life situation, people don't go around throwing high leg kicks, followed by spinning hurricanranas (sp?) or what have you.
Yup! It's an absolutely breathtaking fight and you truly fear for Batmans life. The cinematography, and the overall direction of the fight is brutally good.

Rises was the first superhero film to really have its hero get defeated in that big of a way. The first half of the film is Bruce losing everything he has left in his life; Alfred, his wealth, and even his ability to be Batman again. Bane systematically dismantles his life to bring him to such a low place, lower than I'd ever seen a superhero go before in a movie. There have been films since that have gone that far, and in the case of Logan actually even farther. But Rises did it first, and is still one of the only real endings in the genre.

Rises was the first superhero film to really have its hero get defeated in that big of a way. The first half of the film is Bruce losing everything he has left in his life; Alfred, his wealth, and even his ability to be Batman again. Bane systematically dismantles his life to bring him to such a low place, lower than I'd ever seen a superhero go before in a movie. There have been films since that have gone that far, and in the case of Logan actually even farther. But Rises did it first, and is still one of the only real endings in the genre.
This, this, and this.

Not only that, but it brings him that far to the brink, only for him to have this incredibly inspiring rise/return where it's not just about him coming back to kick ass and save Gotham (though it's partially that), but it's really about him discovering the will to live. Beautiful arc.

Logan is fantastic, but it's also pretty one-note and depressing. It's a repeated gut-punch. For all the people that wanted Bruce to die in TDKR...I look at Logan and think, yeah I'm glad that's not the sort of ending The Dark Knight Trilogy got. I think they were fitting ends for their respective characters, but TDKR to me is the most emotionally satisfying ending to a superhero saga on film. It takes Bruce/Batman from the lowest to ultimately highest points that we've ever gotten to see on film.

Not only that, but it brings him that far to the brink, only for him to have this incredibly inspiring rise/return where it's not just about him coming back to kick ass and save Gotham (though it's partially that), but it's really about him discovering the will to live. Beautiful arc.

Logan is fantastic, but it's also pretty one-note and depressing. It's a repeated gut-punch. For all the people that wanted Bruce to die in TDKR...I look at Logan and think, yeah I'm glad that's not the sort of ending The Dark Knight Trilogy got. I think they were fitting ends for their respective characters, but TDKR to me is the most emotionally satisfying ending to a superhero saga on film. It takes Bruce/Batman from the lowest to ultimately highest points that we've ever gotten to see on film.
agreed completely. TDKR is a very deep movie that i think people sometimes overlook, mostly because it came out in the shadow of the previous film, TDK. for me, TDKR is a massive emotional rollercoaster that hits you hard, but also inspires you. That entire scene in the prison when Bruce escapes, and Hans Zimmers score is booming, i mean, my god the chills!!! I'll always love TDKR, and as i said, it's by far the best ending to a superhero film saga ever.

In the years between the release of TDK and Rises, I was knee-deep in the speculation of what the sequel to The Dark Knight was going to be and I have to say I found most of those fan ideas thoroughly underwhelming. There were mostly

-The villain needs to be Black Mask and it should be about him taking over the Gotham mobs
-The Riddler should be introduced as a private detective who's helping the police hunt down Batman.
-No Catwoman or love interest.

TDKR FTW.

I had a feeling for the TDK sequel that Catwoman was going to be in it but I was shocked that either Riddler or Penguin wouldn't be used in Nolan's third Batman movie. I also I thought that Bruce would die in the end so I'm glad that TDKR had a uplifting ending. Its nice that Bruce was able to move past his grief/guilt over the deaths of Rachel and his parents.

I was genuinely surprised that Bane would be the main villain in Rises and that he wasn't just a lackey (some would say that's what happened near the end of the movie but I always felt that Talia and Bane were partners, you always had the sense that Bane was always his own man).

The Dark Knight Rises as a whole is a satisfying conclusion to this trilogy and a very good movie.

Last edited:
You liked it more than Batman Begins? I feel that's the best movie in the Nolan trilogy

I must follow the crowd and agree that TDK is the best of the Dark Knight trilogy (and still, arguably, the best superhero movie of all time). But I go back and forth as to what ranks second in the trilogy - BB or TDKR?

I’m tempted to evoke the “degree of difficulty” jargon from certain Olympic sports. :cwink: BB, as it were, “stuck the landing” with a topnotch narrative structure and execution. But it was also fairly conventional and “safe.” On the other hand, though TDKR was “wobbly” in spots, it was also way more ambitious thematically (politically, philosophically, etc.). So in such a contest, who takes the “silver medal”? :shrug:

giphy.gif

I haven't never bothered to rewatch TDKR for a few reasons, but the most glaring was just how utterly disappointed I was with what Nolan seemed to throw together. For a craftsman-like Nolan who makes certain creative decisions based on painstaking deliberations, I felt as if he phoned in this movie. The biggest issue is the time jump between TDK and TDKR. Bruce has only been Batman for the span of 4-5 years, maybe (?) then he takes an 8-year hiatus.

This hiatus is further plugged into the realm of absurdity when you bring Bane into the picture. Don't get me wrong, Tom Hardy is a great actor but one of Nolan's biggest problems is the lack of diversity in his filmography. Both Ra’s Al Ghul and Bane were race swapped which were done out of convenience instead of storytelling enhancements. This creative decision is on the same level of Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan in Star Trek. Things get much worse for the film when you throw in allegories on deeper socioeconomic disparities and inequality, but never spend enough time really showing how bad things are besides having a few quick scenes of rich people getting their homes broken into and dragged into the streets. Even more baffling is Bruce's romantic duality with Catwoman and Talia. He's still recovering from Rachel but after Alfred decides to tell him the truth, he wants to find love all over again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"