The Xbox One - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I don't get that. Iv got blu rays and tv shows. Why would i need to transfer them to a flash drive to watch off my system? Id just either put in my blu ray or go to one of the many streaming services. Unless you got all of that stuff digital and you transfer it to a usb.

Let me put it this way, the most popular formate for pirated shows and movies on the interent is ".mkv". There is a very good reason Microsoft chose to support that file type.

Let me put it this way, the most popular formate to pirate shows and movies in is ".mkv". There is a very good reason Microsoft chose to support that file type.

Ahhh got ya. Its a pirate thing. Ppl are using flash drives because their stolen tv/ movies shows are on there.

Just do everything that doesn't cost a tonne and keep everyone happy. Getting there slowly. The main thing Spencer brings is common sense and an actual regular gamer's viewpoint. Those suits really failed at their job.

You got it.

And Microsoft knows that Sony will be very reluctant to do that. So, it's a real **** you to Sony.

I don't think I even own *A* usb drive let alone many USB drives that I would need to care about that feature. Haha.

its 2014. Everyone has a flash drive

Really? I don't get that. Iv got blu rays and tv shows. Why would i need to transfer them to a flash drive to watch off my system? Id just either put in my blu ray or go to one of the many streaming services. Unless you got all of that stuff digital and you transfer it to a usb.

Save storage space? Ive personally found myself caring less and less about owning physical media discs. I will for series Im a big fan of like Game of Thrones or the X-men films, but most other things not really. I appreciate when stuff ship with a UV code. I still have well over a hundred tv/movies that if I could, I would just convert to a video file and sell the disc off. To me now, a digital library >>> a physical one

Last edited:
Whys that? Because of the format being popular with pirated material?

Pretty much. Between owning a major studio, and blu-ray being their baby, it only hurts their bottom line.

Like 99% of blu-rays are ripped as .mkv files.

Pretty much. Between owning a major studio, and blu-ray being their baby, it only hurts their bottom line.

Like 99% of blu-rays are ripped as .mkv files.

Ah interesting. Never really thought about that.

I used to torrent a few shows when I didnt have any cable, then I got a warning letter from my internet provider claiming I was pirating stuff, so I stopped. Once I got cable back I didnt really see the need.

Support media playback from a USB drive. Especially, the ".mkv" format.

ah. thanks.

not familiar with the .mkv format myself.

but Sony did allow media playback ( and storage ) on the PS3, so I don't know why they've been so slow to add it.

the good thing is now that MS has publicly announced the feature, Sony is kind of forced to make a move ( just like with 3d Blu-ray ).

its 2014. Everyone has a flash drive

Save storage space? Ive personally found myself caring less and less about owning physical media discs. I will for series Im a big fan of like Game of Thrones or the X-men films, but most other things not really. I appreciate when stuff ship with a UV code. I still have well over a hundred tv/movies that if I could, I would just convert to a video file and sell the disc off. To me now, a digital library >>> a physical one
I haven't switched yet but I want to. Again for everything except my absolute favourite things where I'll get it in the best packaging possible for display reasons. Everything after that top level doesn't need to be physical and ends up taking up way too much space as you get older.

I don't know if they still even do that. Shows get pirated so much, maybe they just stopped bothering. It was a fairly empty threat anyway, since, they sent out a lot of those letters.

But yeah, it's also for niche things, like anime. Which would also hurt Sony. Sony owns a major anime production company (Aniplex).

Any way you look at it, it's bad news for Sony, and Microsoft knows that.

Now they've essentially forced Sony to either shoot themselves in the foot, or give the Xbone a major feature advantage.

My guess is that Sony will come out with media support for the PS4, but exclude .mkv.

ah. thanks.

not familiar with the .mkv format myself.

but Sony did allow media playback ( and storage ) on the PS3, so I don't know why they've been so slow to add it.

the good thing is now that MS has publicly announced the feature, Sony is kind of forced to make a move ( just like with 3d Blu-ray ).

I don't believe the PS3 supports the .mkv format.

I think anyone who can get their hands on .mkv files, already has a computer anyway. So allowing .mkv support on PS4, wouldn't suddenly increase pirated media. So that's not really something Sony should worry about.

I don't believe the PS3 supports the .mkv format.

well as long as they support mp3s and mp4s I'm fine.

the other question is.....will they let you actually store those files on your hdd ( or just playback from a USB stick ).

That's a good question.

But keep in mind, as it stands, Sony was reluctant to allow any file playback on the PS4, since they wanted to push their media services.

So, even just mp4's, would be Microsoft forcing their hand at this point.

That's a good question.

But keep in mind, as it stands, Sony was reluctant to allow any file playback on the PS4, since they wanted to push their media services.

So, even just mp4's, would be Microsoft forcing their hand at this point.

well, Sony almost has to add Media Playback now. the backlash will be huge if they don't.

I have heard conflicting reports on CD support for the Xbone.

ah. I see. I thought it did support cds.

Yep. And it doesn't cost Microsoft a thing. Because let's face it. No one is buying a Zune.

Considering that product was discontinued years ago, I would hope not

When you say things like "im disappointed that MS might take the lead" or "hopefully Sunset Overdrive will fail and it'll teach Insomniac to never develop for Xbox again", yea its hard not to look at you as anything other than a typical fan boy.

Well yeah I can't help my very essence, but I also think the Xbone is a great product; I'm very jealous of the whole split screen feature it has that the Ps4 doesn't have, let alone the HDMIin, and I'm bummed that I'm continuing to miss out on Halo; although I played the 2nd and 3rd and I think even 4th a tiny bit but didn't really have fun any of those times.

in fact, after I sold my ps4 and had the destiny bundle preordered, I was seriously considering cancelling it and ordering an xbone, because what could go wrong? still decided to keep my ps4 instead.

I think the Xbone is just a good a purchase as the Ps4 and it all comes down to which exclusive games you prefer. So I'm not gonna sit here and constantly talk **** about microsoft but I can't help but seriously want sony to stay in the lead.

however, one thing that I'm still raging inside about is all the exclusive games sony lost last generation, especially tekken. it's also rage towards sony for not thinking keep those games exclusive was important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"