Thor's box office competition - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is something I've been following for the last few days,
http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=avengersassemble.htm

What you need to look at is the comparison of the Incredible Hulk and Thor numbers.
I think Thor needs to beat at least $170 mil domestically to get a sequel, and an Incredible Hulk haul of $134 would be more than insufficient.
Take a close look at the day by day numbers provided at the link above,
does it seems that Thor may be losing steam faster than the Incredible Hulk?
Incredible Hulk was released in June which means that it had inflated weekdays and weaker weekend increases.

The fact that they both made 19M over their first work week is more telling about how weakly TIH performed than anything else.

Anyone else with me that Priest will be under 10M this weekend? I just get a feeling no one wants to see that movie.

The studio refused to let critics review Priest.....that smells like a turd to me. Bridesmaids is getting great reviews and should challenge Thor this weekend....

Neither is going to challenge Thor. Thor will be an easy #1, Bridesmaids #2, Fast Five/Priest 3/4.

Fast Five should finish 3rd behind Bridesmaids.

I personally see Thor making 160-180 domestic, and 230-250 foreign. It's going to be tight on a sequel...studios only net about 55% of the gross, plus you have to figure that after Paramount's cut, and the Marketing costs, that Thor will barely be making a profit.

The money isn't just from the film itself. Licensing is where this will make back a bit of money. Toys, clothes, costumes, school supplies. These are areas where they can produce a cheap product, mark up the value and make a killing. Also, DVD sales will clearly be strong for this title. There is quite a bit of money to be made there. You have to remember, that television and movies are ultimately prolonged advertisements or ways to sell advertisement space. In fact, many popular 80s cartoons began as extended toy commercials (Transformers, Go-Bots, Visionaries, Masters of the Universe). Things are no different now. Sure we get a rad story and a funny film, but it is really just a way to heighten awareness for the license, be it cartoons or other products.

Thor is going to make money. People forget about how much money they make on Blu-Ray sales, DVD sales, merchandise/toys, video games, rentals, television rights/PPV, product placement (Southwest Airlines, Budweiser, Dr. Pepper right a bell?), etc. Studios don't make their money on box office these days from what I hear--they make it from all these other sources. The new James Bond movie, for instance, is reported to be getting $45 million just in product placement. I don't know how much Iron Man 2 got for all it's product placement but it had to be considerable. The movie was littered with product placements---64 of them I have read. That doesn't seem like a real number considering there were only a few noticeable ones that stood out.

Anyone else with me that Priest will be under 10M this weekend? I just get a feeling no one wants to see that movie.

I saw Priest today (paid to see Thor :cwink:) and it really is as bad as everyone is saying. Honestly, it's not even serviceable popcorn entertainment. BAD CGI and some of the worst writing I've seen in a long time. WOM will not be kind to be sure.

I still don't know why BM think it's was gonna open at 50 million.

Honestly, I think he is treating everyone in this thread as a lolcow as he milks laughs from everyone who challenges the absolutely absurd notion that Priest could ever make $50 million during its opening weekend. For those unfamililar with the lolcow meme, we can just call this good ol' fashioned trolling.

He's just being sarcastic. I remember him even saying that this would make around $12 million.

It's going to flop here.

Thor is going to make money. People forget about how much money they make on Blu-Ray sales, DVD sales, merchandise/toys, video games, rentals, television rights/PPV, product placement (Southwest Airlines, Budweiser, Dr. Pepper right a bell?), etc. Studios don't make their money on box office these days from what I hear--they make it from all these other sources. The new James Bond movie, for instance, is reported to be getting $45 million just in product placement. I don't know how much Iron Man 2 got for all it's product placement but it had to be considerable. The movie was littered with product placements---64 of them I have read. That doesn't seem like a real number considering there were only a few noticeable ones that stood out.
As fun as it is to talk about BO numbers....they are almost irrelevant now. At last count (2007) the studios were only making 20% of their profit from theater revenue.

http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/MPA2007.htm

If a movie really had to make double its budget to be a success, there wouldn't be many movies being made.

Basically, Thor is going to make a gigantic pile of money for Marvel.

Isn't Bridesmaid rated R? I don't see that being number 1 against PG-13 Thor. The only R rated movie I can see getting the number 1 spot this summer is Hangover 2, but that's going up against Kung Fu Panda 2 isn't it?

Isn't Bridesmaid rated R? I don't see that being number 1 against PG-13 Thor. The only R rated movie I can see getting the number 1 spot this summer is Hangover 2, but that's going up against Kung Fu Panda 2 isn't it?

Yeah, just looked it up and it's rated R. I think Thor will do fine this weekend.

Now, do I want to go see it again is the question.

@Figs

Of course you want to see Thor again. That isn't a werewolf in your avatar. That is Fenrir, commanding you to go see Thor.

Don't let Blackman here ya

You feeling brave sir?
He's just being sarcastic. I remember him even saying that this would make around $12 million.

It's going to flop here.

Honestly, I think he is treating everyone in this thread as a lolcow as he milks laughs from everyone who challenges the absolutely absurd notion that Priest could ever make $50 million during its opening weekend. For those unfamililar with the lolcow meme, we can just call this good ol' fashioned trolling.
I'm not being sarcastic at all. The movie is getting good reviews from audiences and everyone wants to see it

1. Priest- 50 mill
2. Thor- 30 mill

It'll happen it's physics. It's inevitable.

I'm not being sarcastic at all. The movie is getting good reviews from audiences and everyone wants to see it.

What audiences??

The movie is sitting at 19% from 43 reviews on RT. That doesn't bode well.

Personally the movie just doesn't look all that good.

You feeling brave sir?

I'm not being sarcastic at all. The movie is getting good reviews from audiences and everyone wants to see it

1. Priest- 50 mill
2. Thor- 30 mill

It'll happen it's physics. It's inevitable.

I still think you're being sarcastic. :dry:

Deadline are predicting a 53% drop for Thor's second weekend. Pretty good, although 200m might still be tough with you know what around the corner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"