TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting impression people are turned of from the high degree Christ symbolism.
I dont mind symbolism and metaphor as long as the allegory doesnt become overbearing.

Last edited:
I just noticed this movie so far has been a hit with female reviewers at Rotten Tomatoes.

I hate this line from the Salon review -But while Batman is an isolated and peculiar rich man with human failings, Superman is a godlike being from another galaxy, created to inhabit the infantile fantasy lives of young children. Any attempt to invest him with philosophical depth risks becoming moronic and/or offensive almost immediately.

If lines of thought like this are what is leading to a low critical reception, I ask again why they even bother telling me what I'm gonna enjoy.

SentinelMind, so MoS is getting mixed reviews because all those critics are heathens and atheists who hate Jesus? Nothing to do with the quality of the movie? O-kay then.

Oh and the vast majority of critics on RT don't live or work in Hollywood. So your kryptonite comment is a non sequitur.

It's exactly lines like that from the Salon review that make me go wow, that actually counted.

Again that is a clear line of prejudice. If there is a clear prejudice against the film or some pre-conceived notion of what the film should be on a critic's part, a true critic then shouldn't see the film. Seriously. If there are trailers for a film which I think look bad or don't make a film look interesting, I don't go walking around saying the film is crap, I heard it's horrible or have this huge belief in my mind it'll be bad, I just don't want to see the film and keep my opinion at that. Now if it happens that said film is on TV or I happen to catch it and it's great, then hey, minds and opinions change.

But when you have this perceived stupid thought of "risks becoming moronic or offensive almost immediately" that's just basely unprofessional. A critic's responsibility is to judge something on its own merit or failings, not on clearly ill-thought out opinions that are forced onto a film with no chance for a film to reply back. This is the problem I have found with half the reviews so far (even the positive ones that are so glad it's away from Donner).

Again judge it on your own. I've been through some extraordinarily tough few months just recently that would probably make most just end things but seeing this film really just amazed me with how entertaining and solid it was. Just to see Superman fly wow the flying scenes to me are worth it alone. If they don't make another Superman film it will be sad for sure but I"m glad I got to see this.

This statue seems pretty appropriate

superman.png

I don't care who you are, dat's funny right there!

Without spoiling how, I'll say that by the end there's definitely more of an opportunity for the "cheerful/magical" Clark in a sequel. Man of Steel is about getting to that point.

So it is 'Superman Begins.' Sounds underrated to me.

I hate this line from the Salon review -But while Batman is an isolated and peculiar rich man with human failings, Superman is a godlike being from another galaxy, created to inhabit the infantile fantasy lives of young children. Any attempt to invest him with philosophical depth risks becoming moronic and/or offensive almost immediately.

see? I know some people here love to be super-logical and act like the majority of reviewers just dislike the movie because of it's failings (although it's clear the movie has it's fair share of flaws) and to suggest otherwise is being over-defensive, but I'm almost certain a good number of reviewers more or less have that kind of mentality, and it's fine to have your own idea of what superman should be or should not be, but it's particularly irksome to me when someone walks into a film with his or her own idea of a definitive version of a 75 year old character (that has been reimagined and reinterpreted countless times) and is unwilling to accept or be open to anything else but that specific version.

I guess that's the ultimate danger of adapting from beloved source material. As opposed to the MCU which i felt was largely untapped in the mainstream film industry and with a relatively safe approach to these characters, I could see why some things could be forgiven for those films and some can't for something like Batman and Superman (which without the comics have such a strong permeation in mainstream culture and with that a lot of variance in style and tone)

That being said there are some reviews that don't follow that at all and directly critique it as a movie and all the flaws and problems it has cinematically...those are the negative reviews i give my time to and take in account.

SentinelMind, so MoS is getting mixed reviews because all those critics are heathens and atheists who hate Jesus? Nothing to do with the quality of the movie? O-kay then.

Oh and the vast majority of critics on RT don't live or work in Hollywood. So your kryptonite comment is a non sequitur.

lol...I didn't say that was deciding factor..but I'm sure it had some impact...the Christ symbolism was common complaint I read in lot of reviews. I meant Hollywood as a professional/social class.

I'm seeing these complaints from critics:

1. too much Kryptonian politics (see Star Wars)
2. too much heavy-handed Christ symbolism
3. Cavill's Clark is competent/decent but not warm enough
4. too much Matrix Revolutions destruction in end(which for some reason was a plus for The Avengers? :huh:)

I haven't seen it, but I'm little bothered its doing worse than a movie that was complete hack rehash with poor characterization.

My dad cracks me up when it comes to reviews. He opens up the newspaper on Friday, reads what the one reviewer says and comes up to me when we see a movie and says something along the lines of, "The reviewers hated (insert movie)." To which I respond, "Which one? RT says a lot of people really like it." "What's RT, cuz I heard from the paper it's bad."

This is what I feel the GA treats RT. We comic fans and movie buffs read review after review, but the average person will read on review, if any and decide on seeing the movie.

Wow. MoS is at 65% and This Is The End is at 81%.

And yes BB is far superior to the TDKR.

I think This is the end has such a high score because most critics knew what to expect. Its just a funny raunchy vulgar comedy. Where in MoS they wanna compare it to Donner and expected it to be the greatest movie ever. The problem is critics who gave it a B- or 3/5 still decided to pick rotten instead of positive because they are mixed about it. Which is dumb because you ruin the score. There are at least 6 or 7 reviews that should be positive and would have this movie in the high 70's near 80

4. too much Matrix Revolutions destruction in end(which for some reason was a plus for The Avengers? :huh:)

Difference is Avengers wasn't trying to be anything beyond being a superhero film. Man of Steel is trying to be more than that.

To be honest, I think most potential viewers will know whether or not they want to see a Superman film, regardless of reviews.

My dad cracks me up when it comes to reviews. He opens up the newspaper on Friday, reads what the one reviewer says and comes up to me when we see a movie and says something along the lines of, "The reviewers hated (insert movie)." To which I respond, "Which one? RT says a lot of people really like it." "What's RT, cuz I heard from the paper it's bad."

This is what I feel the GA treats RT. We comic fans and movie buffs read review after review, but the average person will read on review, if any and decide on seeing the movie.

My parents almost always have to reference the critic on the local news. "Well, this guy hated it..."

When its a movie I liked, I remind them that that critic is a twit. :cwink:

That's probably true. I doubt many people read movie reviews at all. Comic fans and movie buffs seem to forget that they are a very small percentage of the population.

I rarely pay much attention to reviews. I'm usually pretty good at judging what I will and won't enjoy going to see.

All: 64%
Top: 63%

It's not reaching 70s at this point...but not safe from a Rotten score. probably will make the cut, though.

This is so silly, we know that the RT score doesnt matter, and yet, we are just obsessed with it. I know it just annoys me when I see people saying "this movie has this RT score, so it's a turd, LOOK, IT SAYS SO".

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's butt what the rating is on RT. Just listening to the soundtrack is getting me more pumped by the minute to see this film on Friday.

That's probably true. I doubt many people read movie reviews at all. Comic fans and movie buffs seem to forget that they are a very small percentage of the population.
I only have anecdotal evidence to go on, which isn't much, but the people I've come across that has talked about wanting to see movies because they got good reviews have mostly been people not that deeply interested in movies.

The people that see movies as a real interest tend to figure out what they want to see on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"