TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ IM2 was compromised. IM3 was better movie on a stand-alone basis, but an EVEN worse sequel than IM2.

Honestly, I never got why people were so infatuated with IM3. That was definitely the worst movie I have seen this year. I also liked ST:ID, but from nowhere was it the best movie of the year (my opinion).

I guess I just haven't seen a really great movie this year - and I'm hoping MOS will be the first.

^This. Though my mind is opened up by Mark Waid's writing ;)

Yeah, and now that you mention him, the argument "in the comics he's a bumbling nerd" isn't even valid anymore because he's not like that all the time, I'd like to make them read Birthright, or earth one, even the new52 superman isn't acting like that. The movie has its influence in stories like that. It's frustrating and annoying when they start saying bad things about a movie based on the fact that Clark doesn't act like a nerd in glasses, that there's no love triangle for 2, etc etc, but this is the movie that is supposed to change that view on superman, so I think we just have to give them time to adjust... like...30 years :p

Honestly, I never got why people were so infatuated with IM3. That was definitely the worst movie I have seen this year. I also liked ST:ID, but from nowhere was it the best movie of the year (my opinion).

I guess I just haven't seen a really great movie this year - and I'm hoping MOS will be the first.

All of our personalities and opinions ranger from super easy to please to overly critical. I honestly feel some films become a barometer for those opinions. I'm easy to please. You know how I know? Because I liked Green Lantern and still think Returns is pretty good (though it's getting a bit stale the more I see of Man of Steel). The other half of the equations is that the majority of moviegoers think GL is trash.

Plus, we all have our guilty pleasures and personal preferences and I and my group of GA plus one comic fan thought IM3 was fantastic. I want MOS to blow it away, though.

^ The way I see it, they'll be USED to Cavill's characterization when the sequel roles around, and will bend their preconceptions based on MOS. MOS doesn't have that advantage, and will probably get lower ratings by critics and nonfans than the sequel.

Maxamillion Foizey
@MaxOnMovies

critic on CC, and he saw MOS yesterday, re-tweeted another person about going straight out and buying (pre-ordering) the soundtrack right away. and now has a Superman Avy today. I am taking this as a very good sign he liked it.

^ The way I see it, they'll be USED to Cavill's characterization when the sequel roles around, and will bend their preconceptions based on MOS. MOS doesn't have that advantage, and will probably get lower ratings by critics and nonfans than the sequel.

Non-fans are going to like it way better than SR.
:yay:

Saw this non-spoilery review on the Box Office forums. Quoting the full post

Here is a review which Warner Bros. had taken down, I accessed it through the cached page. It was put up by a Pastor who attended a special Pastor's screening

Just got invited to an early Pastor's screening for Man of Steel for this coming Monday. Sweet!!!

My blog review of Man of Steel apparently got the attention of Warner Bros. My review will be back online Tuesday morning.

The review:
This year marks the 75th anniversary of Jerry Siegel and Joel Shuster’s iconic and timeless Superman, and what better way to celebrate Kal-El’s birth by seeing what I think is the best Superman film to date: Man of Steel.
I have always been a fan of Richard Donner’s Superman and always will be a fan. I will surely sit before my television giddy with popcorn in hand at least once a year to watch one of the more important films of the 20th century. But I have always felt that Superman 1 & 2 never really embodied the true mythos of the iconic character; the closest any Superman film has come to capturing Siegel and Shuster’s messianic hero was Bryan Singer’s Superman Returns, which fell far short of the story telling quality of Donner’s films. So… when news broke of another film in the works, I was a bit skeptical that Kal-El’s story would be told well enough to capture the grandeur of such an iconic figure. However my skepticism slowly evolved into anticipation with each trailer and featurette I watched.
On Friday, I had opportunity to attend a prescreening of Man of Steel; both my 12-year old son and I saw the film in 3D in a very full theater. From beginning to end, Zack Snyder’s film was a CGI work of art. The special affects were flawless serving only to add believability to a well told and a well casted story filled with action sequences that were absolutely stunning. Every character in Man of Steel had their own important part in serving a greater roll in allowing the audience to experience Superman as he was meant to be experienced. Every character in the film served to point the viewer to the reason moviegoers all over the world will pay their hard earned money to see another superhero flick: theMan of Steel himself (brilliantly played by Henry Cavill).
Zach Snyder and David Goyer (the screenwriter) aimed to tell a version of Superman for the 21st century, and boy did they ever pull it off! Besides being a superhero story, Man of Steel is also Science Fiction; do not forget that Kal-El is an alien, and if an alien lived among us who couldn’t be controlled… how would the world receive such a one? How would Martha (Diane Lane), and Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner) keep an alien child they so dearly loved cloaked in normalcy? How would a young Clark handle the fact that he was not of this planet? These are questions Snyder and Goyer answer satisfactorily.
Russell Crowe’s interpretation of Jor-El was fantastic because he made it his own. Kevin Costner’s embodiment of Jonathan Kent presented a strong father figure who was both earthy and tender. Both Diane Lane and Amy Adams (Lois Lane) portrayed their Characters with a level of courage that has not been seen in previous Superman films.

"with a level of courage that has not been seen in previous Superman films."

I thought Lane was courageous in SMII-okay she was just headstrong. I want to see a woman who doesn't RUSH into danger, but also isn't afraid of it ;)

I have higher anticipation for June 10th than I do for the 13th which is when I'll actually be seeing the movie... Gotta get on that 90 level for Rotten Tomatoes!

Man, hearing these great tweets and brief reviews sound really nice. I remember checking on these boards before GL and hearing worried tweets and speculation across the board. When the embargo was lifted those fears came true.

With what I've heard so far, I have a hard time not seeing this as a success, critically. We're not guaranteed perfect reviews, but at the very least good to very good. That means a hardcore Supes fan like me being in love with it.

Superman is trending :)

United States Trends · Change
#TheHero Promoted
#18ThingsIWant
#ThingsIWillTeachMyChild
#mentionatruefriend
#ASOT616
Our Moment
#NSA
D-Day
Verizon
Superman

Man, hearing these great tweets and brief reviews sound really nice. I remember checking on these boards before GL and hearing worried tweets and speculation across the board. When the embargo was lifted those fears came true.

With what I've heard so far, I have a hard time not seeing this as a success, critically. We're not guaranteed perfect reviews, but at the very least good to very good. That means a hardcore Supes fan like me being in love with it.

There were worried tweets?

i don't remember there being worried tweets, but just "ryan is so hot, so fun"
New Walmart tv spot was awesome. here it is for those of you that don't want to go into the open discussion or tv spots thread (which might contain Huge spoilers)
[YT]LRU72AXKmpQ[/YT]

Yeah, I really feel like the best parallel for MOS is Batman Begins - it'll probably be successful but fly under a few people's radars at first. By the time the sequel comes around, enough people will be sold and more than ready for the franchise to be taken to the next level.

Case in point - a lot of GA people I talk to will say dismissive things like, "Another Superman movie?" The same way people would react to Batman Begins at first: "Another Batman movie?" A really great portrayal of Supes is just not in this generation's public consciousness yet. After MOS, it will be.

I just remember worried posts and negative buzz. By the time the actual reviews came out I wasn't surprised.

Negative buzz? Which universe in all Superman infinite earth was there negative buzz ?

Yeah, I really feel like the best parallel for MOS is Batman Begins - it'll probably be successful but fly under a few people's radars at first. By the time the sequel comes around, enough people will be sold and more than ready for the franchise to be taken to the next level.

Case in point - a lot of GA people I talk to will say dismissive things like, "Another Superman movie?" The same way people would react to Batman Begins at first: "Another Batman movie?" A really great portrayal of Supes is just not in this generation's public consciousness yet. After MOS, it will be.

Yep. Now I'm worried about the sequel, if MOS is TDK caliber or possibly better, how can MOS2 top it?

However, movies based on long-running comics can ALWAYS be better, so maybe I shouldn't worry :)

Any reviews calling MoS better than Godfather, like the other film that shall not be mentioned.

Yep. Now I'm worried about the sequel, if MOS is TDK caliber or possibly better, how can MOS2 top it?

However, movies based on long-running comics can ALWAYS be better, so maybe I shouldn't worry :)

The only way I can think of for the next installment of MOS is to make a trilogy... that way, you have the scope, drama, properly character development, including his relationship with Lois, and sneaking in/introducing the other JL characters building up to a finale in the 3rd installment... make it like a miniseries of about 8 hours long total (broken into 3 shows like LOTR)... shoot it all at once, and only release them 1 / year starting 2015...

Who said anything about it being TDK caliber? All I've heard is praise on the action sequences and how beautiful the movie looks. Have yet to hear a comparison to TDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"