Supergirl Tyler Hoechlin IS Superman - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
He does such a great Superman that it would be a shame and a waste to not have his own show. And definitely before it's too late. Before you know it, Hoechlin will be on another show as a full time character, and all we'll have is a sporadic, two times a year guest appearances.
I'm fine with just a few guest appearances, too much and the title of the show becomes "Supergirl's cousin Superman".

All in all Tyler aquitted himself quite nicely that I hated to see him go but I guess it was asking too much to see a glimpse of The Daily Planet.

As for the Superman suit except for the cape clamps (or whatever they are) the rest is just fine, maybe they can raise the cape collar just a tad bit, Tyler has a rather skinny neck that from some angles it looks wierd.

I want a Superman spin off series by done by the Supergirl team, not by the Flash/ Arrow/ Legends team.

When asked if Superman could ever headline his own spinoff, given the positive fan reaction to Hoechlin's Man of Steel, Kreisberg demurred, "I don’t know how to answer that. We’re so happy with what we get to do… we asked if we could have Superman in the first episode and DC and Warner Bros said, 'You can have him for the first two episodes' and we were like 'Great!' I’m not gonna sit here and say that there’s never gonna be a world in which there’s a Superman TV show and Tyler’s gonna star in it. I don’t know what the future holds, but right now that’s not our focus, right now we’re working on Supergirl which is the flagship, and working on a way for Tyler to reprise the role is really what our focus is on Supergirl."

That is what it is for right now...

On another note, do you guys think Alex was somewhat right when she told Kara that Clark pretty much abandoned her to her family's doorstep?

On another note, do you guys think Alex was somewhat right when she told Kara that Clark pretty much abandoned her to her family's doorstep?

I think it was forced, Alex was selfish and Jealous pure and simple.

Clark entrusted Kara into the Danvers because he trusted them and wanted Kara to experience what it was like to be human much like he did with the Kent family.

Jimmy Olsen told Kara in the first episode that Clark intentions was for Kara to have a like of her own, if she choose to enter into the hero family business it had to be of her own choosing.

Alex seemed to just be jealous that Kara was so happy with Clark in her life, she was being neglected. After all the sacrifices she made at the request of her parents.

Last edited:

it would be abandonment in the sense if Clark dropped Kara off with the Danvers and then never really bothered to follow up or check on her throughout the years.

I think it was forced, Alex was selfish and Jealous pure and simple.

I disagree, it has been simmering throughout the first season.

Clark entrusted Kara into the Danvers because he trusted them and wanted Kara to experience what it was like to be human much like he did with the Kent family.
Yes, this is true...but to a 14 year old (alex) who had to change her entire life for Kara, and then to never see Clark (from all that we know) and gauging from Kara's reaction when she sees James portrait of him in his office....Clark was not around. His reason for dropping her off are separate from the fact that it looks like he wasn't around much, if at all.

Jimmy Olsen told Kara in the first episode that Clark intentions was for Kara to have a like of her own, if she choose to enter into the hero family business it had to be of her own choosing.
The closest thing I know to this conversation was up on the rooftop at the end of the pilot, and he didn't say that....he said that Clark wanted the decision to be Supergirl to be her's, that was as far as that conversation went, and I don't remember another one.

Alex seemed to just be jealous that Kara was so happy with Clark in her life, she was being neglected. After all the sacrifices she made at the request of her parents.

Jealousy is a human emotion, I don't want these people to be paper cutouts with no real emotions. Kara was thinking about herself pretty much this entire episode....WHICH IS FINE WITH ME, she deserves to at this point, but it isn't uncommon for an older, very protective sister to not feel pushed out when suddenly Kara states that she wants to move to Metropolis with Clark so they can protect each other. Alex lost HER FATHER, because of all of this....Clark for all practical purposes has not lost anything. He didn't know his Kryptonian parents nor did he have a life there to remember.

So, uh....yeah, I think it was ok for Alex to feel some ******** over this....

To an extent? yes.....

But at most, he trusts Batman with a piece of Kryptonite, or a Ring. The DEO had enough to fill a whole container. And they weren't even able to properly guard it. I hope Superman will eventually realize that a contingency plan is needed, and hand J'onn a piece. Or have Superman put a safeguard in place, in case he gets put under mind control. Kelex would contact J'onn, and lead him to the Kryptonite that Superman hopefully didn't destroy.

I actually wonder about that. So, all the Kryptonite the DEO had can fit in one hefty set of crates. . . that actually seems on the small side given how much Kryptonite ordinance and equipment they showed in season 1. Bullets, blades, shackleds, emitters: it was such that I had assumed the DEO was actually manufacturing the Kryptonite. I'm guessing that each bullet or emitter only had a tiny amount of K in it, and the crates contain those extracted mineral samples, not entire ready munitions.

Somewhat right, but also incomplete and biased. From her perspective, it seems like "abandonment" when in a bad emotional state. From the perspective of Superman and the Danvers parents at the time, it was probably more like "I have duties and responsibilities such that I can't raise my cousin, and I especially can't provide her a safe and private home. Are you, who are some of my closest friends, willing to help?"

Couple of GIFs I found interesting:

You do NOT mess with the Last Children of Krypton:
tumblr_of9g0hFWro1rac3djo3_250.gif

Probably the closest we got to a 'fly-by' in this two-parter:
tumblr_of92bvaaKw1rq9ihbo3_250.gif

Credit: CWSupergirlGifs/Tumblr

In a word, no. As was said previously, Clark wanted her to have as normal a life as possible, especially after having just lost everything else that was her normal. She needed a childhood that Clark would not have been able to give her, and I think nor could he have continued to be Superman if he suddenly had a child to take care of.

She was left with a family who knew of her powers and could give her what Clark couldn't. That's not abandonment, that's giving her what she needed.

If there were a Superman spin-off, Blake Neely is going to have a heck of a job coming up with another theme for Superman. The Supergirl theme is already soaring and exhilarating and sounds like it could easily have been a Superman theme itself. It has been perfectly used in all the Superman scenes in these first two episodes.

In a word, no. As was said previously, Clark wanted her to have as normal a life as possible, especially after having just lost everything else that was her normal. She needed a childhood that Clark would not have been able to give her, and I think nor could he have continued to be Superman if he suddenly had a child to take care of.

She was left with a family who knew of her powers and could give her what Clark couldn't. That's not abandonment, that's giving her what she needed.

To a point, yes, that is what needed to happen, but her reaction to the picture in James office, it was obvious that Clark had not been a big part of her life, and then her reaction to his text in the 3rd episode, the first we had seen, it was VERY OBVIOUS that there was very little communication. So I think that Alex had a fairly good argument that once he dropped her off, YES WITH A GREAT FAMILY, he for all practical purposes was never around. Abandonment is a strong word yes, but still a viable description.

I disagree, it has been simmering throughout the first season.

Yes, this is true...but to a 14 year old (alex) who had to change her entire life for Kara, and then to never see Clark (from all that we know) and gauging from Kara's reaction when she sees James portrait of him in his office....Clark was not around. His reason for dropping her off are separate from the fact that it looks like he wasn't around much, if at all.

I don't think that is true. Clark said to Kara he has the journals and the Fortress of Solitude to let him know about Krypton, but the stories Kara tells him about his parents make it seem more real. So they had to have been in contact for Kara to tell him those stories. I doubt she was just text messaging him stories. OTOH, he was trying to protect Kara, so showing up too often at the Danvers house would allow his enemies to track him and find out her location. It would be suspicious if Superman or even a famous reporter like Clark kept showing up at a house in a little town for no particular reason.

If there were a Superman spin-off, Blake Neely is going to have a heck of a job coming up with another theme for Superman. The Supergirl theme is already soaring and exhilarating and sounds like it could easily have been a Superman theme itself. It has been perfectly used in all the Superman scenes in these first two episodes.

There was a separate Superman theme in these two episodes though.

Last edited:
I don't think that is true. Clark said to Kara he has the journals and the Fortress of Solitude to let him know about Krypton, but the stories Kara tells him about his parents make it seem more real. So they had to have been in contact for Kara to tell him those stories. I doubt she was just text messaging him stories. OTOH, he was trying to protect Kara, so showing up too often at the Danvers house would allow his enemies to track him and find out her location. It would be suspicious if Superman or even a famous reporter like Clark kept showing up at a house in a little town for no particular reason.

Sorry, but I don't think for a second that they had a relationship where they spent an immense time together. Nothing from the first season shows that whatsoever, it shows the opposite. I agree, he could have been trying to protect Kara by not showing up, but we don't have evidence from the first season of that, we do have evidence to show that he just was not around all that much....therefore, IMO Alex does have a point. :)

There was a separate Superman theme in these two episodes though.

Yep I could tell Blake added a spin to the Supergirl theme that was definitely John Williams inspired to give more of a triumphant approach that goes with Superman.

Yep I could tell Blake added a spin to the Supergirl theme that was definitely John Williams inspired to give more of a triumphant approach that goes with Superman.

It was similar to the Supergirl main theme, but with a little more low brass thrown in there to make it unique. What was great about it was it showed that they didn't need to incorporate any portion of the Williams score for these two episodes - Neely's work already does that.

The brass is low but also the trumpet cues are very reminiscent to Willams

To a point, yes, that is what needed to happen, but her reaction to the picture in James office, it was obvious that Clark had not been a big part of her life, and then her reaction to his text in the 3rd episode, the first we had seen, it was VERY OBVIOUS that there was very little communication. So I think that Alex had a fairly good argument that once he dropped her off, YES WITH A GREAT FAMILY, he for all practical purposes was never around. Abandonment is a strong word yes, but still a viable description.
My take on the "how often did Clark and Kara see each other before this" debate, based on what's been presented in both seasons:

I get the feeling that he may have visited more often back when Kara was first getting acclimated to Earth, just to make sure she was doing alright, but gradually eased off over the years as she started building her own life for herself, because every visit from him would risk undoing all of that if the wrong person made the connections. And I'd imagine it was during those early years together that they would talk about Krypton, because it was probably therapeutic for Kara, who was still recovering from the loss of her old life and wasn't entirely ready to let go of it yet. But by the time we meet Kara in the pilot, I got the impression that she hadn't really SEEN Clark in at least a couple of years (considering she was asking Jimmy about him and what he was like), maybe more, but still had sporadic long-distance contact with him (like holiday phone calls or whatever). When those text messages started in S1, it did seem to catch Kara off guard a little bit, so I got the feeling it wasn't a regular thing before that at all.

So in these episodes they really were like family who were reconnecting after not having seen each other in quite some time (hence Clark's line about how he'd "forgotten" how nice it could be to spend time with someone like himself).

My take on the "how often did Clark and Kara see each other before this" debate, based on what's been presented in both seasons:

I get the feeling that he may have visited more often back when Kara was first getting acclimated to Earth, just to make sure she was doing alright, but gradually eased off over the years as she started building her own life for herself, because every visit from him would risk undoing all of that if the wrong person made the connections. And I'd imagine it was during those early years together that they would talk about Krypton, because it was probably therapeutic for Kara, who was still recovering from the loss of her old life and wasn't entirely ready to let go of it yet. But by the time we meet Kara in the pilot, I got the impression that she hadn't really SEEN Clark in at least a couple of years (considering she was asking Jimmy about him and what he was like), maybe more, but still had sporadic long-distance contact with him (like holiday phone calls or whatever). When those text messages started in S1, it did seem to catch Kara off guard a little bit, so I got the feeling it wasn't a regular thing before that at all.

So in these episodes they really were like family who were reconnecting after not having seen each other in quite some time (hence Clark's line about how he'd "forgotten" how nice it could be to spend time with someone like himself).

I have to somewhat disagree...

I think he has realized how much he missed out not having a stronger relationship with Kara over the years, and when he said that he wanted to learn more about his parents from her, I don't think it was "more" as in what she has already told him, I think it was "more" than what he has learned about them in his time at the Fortress of Solitude. I think this time with her has made him realize that she was the real source of understanding and knowledge about Krypton, not just what he learned on his own.

Mind you, she is a part of that separation as well, in that he invited her several times to the Fortress of Solitude and she did not go....that is another fact that we know about their relationship.

With all of that said, none of this is from Alex's point of view, yet it is her reaction to all of this that started this discussion.

One's perspective is their truth....and her perspective on all of this is far different than that of Clark or Kara....so for her to react the way she did, from the writer's point of view (which is Alex's POV) I think is that she saw Kara's longing for Krypton, she saw Kara's longing to belong, she saw Kara's longing for a family.....and as Kara herself has said, several times....it was Alex that gave her at least 2 of those 3 things, and when she had the life on Krypton (with the black mercy) she realized who her real family was.....it was the people that were there through the good and bad times, and that for the most part was Alex not Clark....so for Kara to be so willing to quickly move on from that? I can see why Alex was hurt by that. You saw them has family reconnecting......I saw them as family connecting truly, for the first time, and I think that was why she was willing to leave everything behind and move to Metropolis, she was going off of new emotions, not a long felt connection....she was moving into a connection that for a long time was not there, and she wanted more of that. It is like with a new friend, they are exciting, different, everything is new, there is so much to talk about....that we sometimes forget the old friends, until a REAL NEED arises, and then we realize the new friend, is new.....and will be a friend for a long time, but the old friend is the old friend that you have written chapters of your life with, that have helped to make you who you are, and it is the new friend that will learn to write chapters along with you, and hopefully one day help you become better than you were before. I think that is what Kara finally realized....:)

Last edited:
I have to somewhat disagree...

I think he has realized how much he missed out not having a stronger relationship with Kara over the years, and when he said that he wanted to learn more about his parents from her, I don't think it was "more" as in what she has already told him, I think it was "more" than what he has learned about them in his time at the Fortress of Solitude. I think this time with her has made him realize that she was the real source of understanding and knowledge about Krypton, not just what he learned on his own.

Mind you, she is a part of that separation as well, in that he invited her several times to the Fortress of Solitude and she did not go....that is another fact that we know about their relationship.
But Clark said that he likes when Kara tells him about Krypton because she makes it real, which suggests that they HAVE had those talks before. So I definitely have to disagree and say that "more" was in indeed referencing past bonding experiences they'd had, imo, not just info from the Fortress. Nothing about their interactions suggested they were essentially strangers only related by blood and text messages to me. They had some real history there. I mean, I'm not that even that friendly/familiar with half my relatives that I see every year or so. I really feel like they had to have bonded early on after Kara got here, but it's just been a looong time since then. Short Version: Clark's the "Cool Uncle" who has a bond/rapport with the kid but hasn't put in the real time. ;)

I'm not going to address the Alex part of your post because I have no disagreement that Alex was justified in her feelings, and I get her perspective. I didn't like the the wording of some of it because it didn't seem very "Alex" to me, but her point/perspective was certainly understandable to me.

Last edited:
I think that might have (of course not seen in this episode) that she might have told him stories with this time they have spent together, and that is what he meant because not one time in the entire first episode did we ever hear about them spending time together.....EXCEPT ONCE in a text when he says that "bloods bonds us all" and she says "you didn't learn that in Kansas" and he says "no, I learned it from you"....so that was the only time in season 1 that we even had a glimpse that maybe they had spoke more than those few texts that seemed such a surprise and "manna from heaven" every time she got one....lol. This episode his line was.....
"I didn't realize how nice it was to be around someone like me, just to be with family...." and I know everything there is to know about Krypton from the archives in the fortress, but I really like it when you tell me stories about home, you make it real, so maybe while I'm here, you can tell me some more about my parents." I took that to mean, that they had spent quite a bit of time together, flying, whatever Kryptonians do in their off time...lol and this was the time they have really actually gotten to know each other in a deeper way.....and maybe on their way to the Danvers she told him a story or two as well.... ;)

So, my interpretation of all we know from last season, and these first two episodes....leads me to the opinion that I gave.... :)

As far as Alex, I don't know....it seemed completely her because she has always laid it all out on the table...and when it comes it COMES.... lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"