Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony have Mary Jane Watson, Gwen Stacy, Black Cat, and others I can't remember quickly (I think, though not 100% sure, Marvel have Jessica Drew). Gwen Stacy is probably the most popular of the bunch due to the recent-ish films and the Spider-Gwen character.

Out of curiousity, what major female hero do you think Sony has? I can't really think of any, at least where I'd use the term "major". Not in the same sense as Fox having the Invisible Woman, Storm, Kitty Pryde, or a ton of other X-women.

there is NO female super hero as known as wonder woman-just like superman and batman.

talking about 'other' women who are big names in the -comic book universe- are strictly that -the comic book universe.

The general audience female population only knows wonder Woman. My wife knows none of them except Wonder woman.

there is NO female super hero as known as wonder woman-just like superman and batman.

talking about 'other' women who are big names in the -comic book universe- are strictly that -the comic book universe.

The general audience female population only knows wonder Woman. My wife knows none of them except Wonder woman.

I'm sure most would know Supergirl and Catwoman. They may not be on that same tier but their popularity is up there.

I'm sure most would know Supergirl and Catwoman. They may not be on that same tier but their popularity is up there.

I forgot Supergirl-Catwoman no.

My point is not whether the general public wants to go just because they know who they are.
Young males are still the bulk of comic book movie goers.

What makes Wonder Woman important to DC is that it's audience was 52 percent women and and older. That is a demographic that most comic book movies-probably none -have ever approached

Oh right. That would be an amazingly efficient way to shoot. Although I would have liked a cut with a few more hours from Themyscira! :yay:

Would help explain the budget, though. And really, this is a lesson WB should have learned long ago- don't spend on the movie like its going to be 4 hours long.

Which is kind of irrelevant to the question I had, which was "Who even by this relative standard does Sony have?" I am perfectly aware that the only A-list female hero is Wonder Woman.

Good movies with good WOM build over their weekends. :woot:

Many female superheroes are derivative of male heroes. She-Hulk and Spider-Woman probably wouldn't go down as well with the GA despite being great comic characters. But then the Supergirl show seems to be doing reasonably well and we have Batgirl on the horizon so who knows. Wonder Woman though is a true original as well as being possibly the only female hero on the very top tier.

Plus the whole rush out opening weekend to get the record is fanboy driven d---measuring. Women don't care about seeing a movie three weekends later

Weird choice for a clickbait headline. Of course people did. That's why SS made more money.

I blame WB, somewhat: their marketing push for Wonder Woman was a *lot* smaller than for the last couple movies. Even while its understandable that they rein in their budgets, WW sure as hell deserved the platinum PR work than Suicide Squad.

Happy to see it surpass all tracking/projections for it's opening weekend. I see I apparently voted for $600m-800m WW on the poll, and while I have zero recollection of actually doing that, I think I was spot-on, based on this OW. And those would be great numbers for this. :up:

I blame WB, somewhat: their marketing push for Wonder Woman was a *lot* smaller than for the last couple movies. Even while its understandable that they rein in their budgets, WW sure as hell deserved the platinum PR work than Suicide Squad.

This is not even true.

Origin movies for singular superheroes aren't generally mega-blockbusters unless they are extremely leggy. WW's performance is not a disappointment, unless one had sky-high expectations. The $103m opening weekend certainly came above the median tracking and with good word of mouth the domestic total will get above $275m in the end.

Overseas business is more difficult to predict. DC doesn't have maybe as much brand awareness overseas as Marvel, and Wonder Woman is probably slightly less known than Batman and Superman, but again, with good word of mouth should do fine business overseas as well.

Origin movies for singular superheroes aren't generally mega-blockbusters unless they are extremely leggy. WW's performance is not a disappointment, unless one had sky-high expectations. The $103m opening weekend certainly came above the median tracking and with good word of mouth the domestic total will get above $275m in the end.

Overseas business is more difficult to predict. DC doesn't have maybe as much brand awareness overseas as Marvel, and Wonder Woman is probably slightly less known than Batman and Superman, but again, with good word of mouth should do fine business overseas as well.

Let's not forget the WW animated movie, that stalled all other female superhero films cause it was deemed a failure, ended up outselling all other animated films at the time. It just took longer.

Happy to see it surpass all tracking/projections for it's opening weekend. I see I apparently voted for $600m-800m WW on the poll, and while I have zero recollection of actually doing that, I think I was spot-on, based on this OW. And those would be great numbers for this. :up:
A 200m range is being spot on FC? In that case I vote between 100m and 1bil. :o

That Twitter also predicts a 180 million finish for China which would be great.

That Twitter also predicts a 180 million finish for China which would be great.
He's predicting $180M for Dangal, not for Wonder Woman.

In China these movies usually have a multiplier of about 2x. Wonder Woman will probably end pretty close to $78M in China.

WW is only behind MoS's opening weekend by 13m, and the other 2 films are both team films. How is that bad again? It beat every single other solo origin non-sequel there is aside from Spider-Man, MoS, and Deadpool. So why are some of ya'll complaining?

I would put Batgirl in the list of well known DC females too, the Batman TV show, the cartoons, Batman & Robin (as awful as it was, people saw it)
It's nice that Batgirl is getting her own movie too. Hope it's Wonder Woman good instead of Supergirl and Catwoman movies bad.

Weird choice for a clickbait headline. Of course people did. That's why SS made more money.

Suicide had a catchy marketing campaign, Will Smith, and Harley Quinn who up until this point in time was probably more popular than Wonder Woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"