Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resume is an indication of experience.
correct.
What you are essentially indicating is that because she is younger, Debicki does not have the same amount of experience in acting.
right.
The only way she would then be an equal actress is if she was notably more gifted in acting than the experienced actresses. This may be true, but we have little reason to suspect such a thing.
in saying that she's an actress in her own right i didn't imply that she was a better actress then the other two.
when the others fixated on one attribute, as was the case with the height, they alluded that her appeal was strictly a physical one, which is bull, of course, it's the thing that's gotten some people interested in her, but if tall was all she ever was, i guarantee the few of us who actually like her wouldn't care as much.

That's why I suggest you're taking other things for granted, because you presume that the experience that grants skill isn't really relevant, and only amounts to some lines on a resume, as opposed to something with a real life relevant application, as all good experience has.

at no point did i presume any of those things. there are all sorts of characters and all sorts of actors capable or incapable of playing said characters. if the role appeared to be more then she could handle, then i'd agree to your point.

arterton's been in clash of the titans and in the prince of persia, both films in that wondy wheel house. that's 2 more then blunt has been, and i would bet very few people would think that she would be a better actor in the role of wondy then blunt even though she's had more experience in those roles.

AMAZON BEAUTY...simply gorgeous!!
Loving this photo of Jennifer Lawrence...she looks very Princess Diana like here!

image.jpg

she's about the only one in hollywood that would make wb get off their ass and start the franchise.

J Law would be a dream come true for WB She'd provide the skills and confidence they'd require...

Damm, Marvel :argh:

J Law would be a dream come true for WB She'd provide the skills and confidence they'd require...

Damm, Marvel :argh:

There have been a few actors who have played both Marvel/DC roles. And plus, the X-Men films really belong to Fox. It's not like JLaw has been part of Marvel's shared cinematic universe :)

That said, I don't think Lawrence would ever accept the role of Wonder Woman. But then again, I never thought Ben would accept the role of Batman... so what do I know? :funny:

Tell me the size of the "jump" of each of these in the photo.

It has "jumps" up to over twenty centimeters.

Outside the angle of the photo.

For the photo of Debicki you can see the heels and shoes of all.

She has heels on here:
m-CANNES-CAREY-620x413c.jpg

She is wearing flats here:
gatsby-open-15may13-13.jpg

reuters-us-cannes-opening.jpg

click for bigger version

For reference, Tobey Maguire is 5'9" and Leonardo DiCaprio is 6 feet tall.

She's not a big enough name yet, so she can't help sell the film at all.

On Height:

When has Wonder Woman had any relevant height over any men in her supporting cast? Why is that a goal?

Wonder Woman is a big enough property that the character's name alone would be the selling point, honestly. As for the height relevancy, I guess it's personal preference, but I'd rather not have Wonder Woman look pint-sized next Henry Cavill's Superman or Ben Affleck's Batman. She should look just as awe-inspiring as the two (who will be considerably large once Gym Jones has worked out with them) while standing next to them.

[edit]

I wish we had a Wonder Woman forum with different threads for casting and general discussion.

Me too!

Last edited:
It's always been Lawrence in my head for the role. ..then Debecki was brought to my attention :D

It's a possibility that Jenn could take on the role...purely basing on the future supposedly being brighter in life :funny:

ЯɘvlveR;26796153 said:
correct.right. in saying that she's an actress in her own right i didn't imply that she was a better actress then the other two.
when the others fixated on one attribute, as was the case with the height, they alluded that her appeal was strictly a physical one, which is bull, of course, it's the thing that's gotten some people interested in her, but if tall was all she ever was, i guarantee the few of us who actually like her wouldn't care as much.

I agree with and understand that.

at no point did i presume any of those things. there are all sorts of characters and all sorts of actors capable or incapable of playing said characters. if the role appeared to be more then she could handle, then i'd agree to your point.

arterton's been in clash of the titans and in the prince of persia, both films in that wondy wheel house. that's 2 more then blunt has been, and i would bet very few people would think that she would be a better actor in the role of wondy then blunt even though she's had more experience in those roles.

What is "those roles?" Is the challenge of acting being in a certain genre? Is that what actors learn to do, stand next to pillars or stand next to aliens? Acting experience is combining emotions and showing them in different ways at different levels at the appropriate time. That's not 'different' for a sci-fi movie like Looper or Edge of Tomorrow than it is for a fantasy movie like Prince of Persia or Clash of the Titans. In fact, the characters in those sci fi films are closer to Diana than those characters in the fantasy films that have more similar worlds and job descriptions, therefore it's actually Blunt whose more experienced in playing a character like Diana, so even though she has less experience in a movie like Wonder Woman's, it wouldn't hurt her performance as Diana as much as not being used to playing a woman with a fighting spirit who loves and protects her family dearly.

But again, if Debicki comes in and rocks the audition and Blunt doesn't, give it to Debicki , but I wouldn't exactly expect that to happen, not because Debicki isn't an actress, but because Blunt has demosntrated a large number of emotions convincingly, consistently, in various physical and emotional situations, over several years and Debicki has not.

I agree with and understand that.

What is "those roles?" Is the challenge of acting being in a certain genre? Is that what actors learn to do, stand next to pillars or stand next to aliens? Acting experience is combining emotions and showing them in different ways at different levels at the appropriate time. That's not 'different' for a sci-fi movie like Looper or Edge of Tomorrow than it is for a fantasy movie like Prince of Persia or Clash of the Titans. In fact, the characters in those sci fi films are closer to Diana than those characters in the fantasy films that have more similar worlds and job descriptions, therefore it's actually Blunt whose more experienced in playing a character like Diana, so even though she has less experience in a movie like Wonder Woman's, it wouldn't hurt her performance as Diana as much as not being used to playing a woman with a fighting spirit who loves and protects her family dearly.

But again, if Debicki comes in and rocks the audition and Blunt doesn't, give it to Debicki , but I wouldn't exactly expect that to happen, not because Debicki isn't an actress, but because Blunt has demosntrated a large number of emotions convincingly, consistently, in various physical and emotional situations, over several years and Debicki has not.
Debecki's only been around for 2 years...we don't know what she's fully capable of just yet.

Has anyone mentioned Jaimie Alexander? I know she is in the Thor movies but it's a small role, she could easily do both, or Sif could just get recast like Fandral.

Has anyone mentioned Jaimie Alexander? I know she is in the Thor movies but it's a small role, she could easily do both, or Sif could just get recast like Fandral.

She was mentioned and manips were made when Thor came out. Anyone visible on a screen was mentioned.

ЯɘvlveR;26794789 said:
fun fact, you lose.

Emmm..no. We are discussing a superhero movie not something from the History Channel. The standard has been set, and its not a small breasted bean pole.

Wonder-Woman-lynda-carter-34325163-389-500.jpg

Jaimie burned that bridge when she openly criticized WB's inability to get a film made.

I'm honestly offended by your constant use of this utterly sexist phrase. But please, continue to objectify women in such a nonchalant manner.

Don't worry I will continue to do so. If you don't like my blunt assessment thats unfortunate. Do remember the audience will be making similar assessments. We are talking about an actress playing the part of a fantasy character. Objectification is about the act of representing an abstraction as a physical thing. She will be required not to play herself but an abstraction. Sorry , she can not play the required abstraction.

regards

Ralph

Emmm..no. We are discussing a superhero movie not something from the History Channel. The standard has been set, and its not a small breasted bean pole.

Wonder-Woman-lynda-carter-34325163-389-500.jpg

38 DD's 20 inch waist 40 inch hips right?

**** outta here with that ********.

Can you imagine the nerd rage if Katie Holmes got the role? lol

Re: Height

In an ideal world, the actor playing Wonder Woman would be as tall as the actors playing Superman and Batman, without needing to wear impractical heels.

BUT, I would personally prefer that WB go with the strongest actor for the role of Wonder Woman even if that means that she will be a few inches shorter than Superman and Batman. I've never watched a movie with Tom Cruise, Robert Downey Jnr, Daniel Craig, etc and thought to myself "gee they look short". All of the same tricks that are used to make Hollywood's leading male actors appear taller can also be used to make the actor playing Wonder Woman appear taller.

Not to mention the fact that the Wonder Woman costume is likely to include some kind of "heeled" boot. It may not be a stiletto heel like Catwoman, but it will probably have some kind of additional height like Black Widow. Unfortunately, I don't see Wonder Woman wearing "practical" low heeled boots.

I think the most important thing about Wonder Woman's physique is that she looks strong and capable. So, even if she's shorter than Superman, if her body looks like Jennifer Garner in Alias, Linda Hamilton in Temrinator 2, Jessica Biel in Blade 3 or Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby, then I personally think that is far more important to establishing Wonder Woman as a "warrior" than being the same height as Superman. Even if Wonder Woman towers over Superman, I wouldn't find her credible if she was supermodel thin. Or even Hollywood thin.

Re: Breast Size

Hollywood trickey is indeed magical. Even if the actor chosen to play Wonder Woman was on the demure side, I'm sure she would more than fill her bustier once the various make-up and costuming experts had finished with her.

Lucy Lawless lost a lot of weight over the course of playing Xena: Warrior Princess as evidence from some of her FHM/Maxim photo shoots. But, Xena always filled her breastplate. I'm pretty sure one of the actors on Xena mentioned how her father called her after he saw her in an episode and demanded to know why she'd had breast implants. So, breast size really shouldn't be a top concern for anyone looking to cast Wonder Woman.

Re: Height

In an ideal world, the actor playing Wonder Woman would be as tall as the actors playing Superman and Batman, without needing to wear impractical heels.

BUT, I would personally prefer that WB go with the strongest actor for the role of Wonder Woman even if that means that she will be a few inches shorter than Superman and Batman. I've never watched a movie with Tom Cruise, Robert Downey Jnr, Daniel Craig, etc and thought to myself "gee they look short". All of the same tricks that are used to make Hollywood's leading male actors appear taller can also be used to make the actor playing Wonder Woman appear taller.

Not to mention the fact that the Wonder Woman costume is likely to include some kind of "heeled" boot. It may not be a stiletto heel like Catwoman, but it will probably have some kind of additional height like Black Widow. Unfortunately, I don't see Wonder Woman wearing "practical" low heeled boots.

I think the most important thing about Wonder Woman's physique is that she looks strong and capable. So, even if she's shorter than Superman, if her body looks like Jennifer Garner in Alias, Linda Hamilton in Temrinator 2, Jessica Biel in Blade 3 or Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby, then I personally think that is far more important to establishing Wonder Woman as a "warrior" than being the same height as Superman. Even if Wonder Woman towers over Superman, I wouldn't find her credible if she was supermodel thin. Or even Hollywood thin.

Re: Breast Size

Hollywood trickey is indeed magical. Even if the actor chosen to play Wonder Woman was on the demure side, I'm sure she would more than fill her bustier once the various make-up and costuming experts had finished with her.

Lucy Lawless lost a lot of weight over the course of playing Xena: Warrior Princess as evidence from some of her FHM/Maxim photo shoots. But, Xena always filled her breastplate. I'm pretty sure one of the actors on Xena mentioned how her father called her after he saw her in an episode and demanded to know why she'd had breast implants. So, breast size really shouldn't be a top concern for anyone looking to cast Wonder Woman.
Not to mention that there are certain camera tricks to make actors seem taller then they really are. RDJ is several inches shorter than Gywneth Paltrow, but they look more or less the same height on film. Scarjo wore elevated shoes in TA to make her seem taller, then they filmed the film in such a way that you couldn't tell.

I've noticed that Batman has usually played by an established actor whereas Superman has been unknowns or semi known. I think for Wonder Woman, they're likely to go for the unknown and semi known actresses so Arterton, Blunt or Debicki will likely on the radar for WB.

Don't worry I will continue to do so. If you don't like my blunt assessment thats unfortunate. Do remember the audience will be making similar assessments. We are talking about an actress playing the part of a fantasy character. Objectification is about the act of representing an abstraction as a physical thing. She will be required not to play herself but an abstraction. Sorry , she can not play the required abstraction.

regards

Ralph

So calling an actress a small breasted bean pole is not objectifying her. Got it. And your assessment isn't blunt, it's misogynistic and sexist. Am I being trolled here? I can't tell. Either way, the above post is absolutely amazing.

Trolling is a path to being banned; trolling leads to anger, anger to leads to hate, hate...leads to banning....I sense much trolliing in this one :o

Debecki's only been around for 2 years...we don't know what she's fully capable of just yet.

...or maybe we do. We don't know if we've seen her at her best... not enough data. But assuming that she can do better, that's close to Reganite defense methods there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"