BvS Ben Affleck IS Batman - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's good, but he isn't the be all, end all of Batman. I like him, but I prefer Bruce Greenwood.

No, he is pretty much the end all, be all. Other actors have done it over the years, but you hear that tone of voice, you automatically know it's Batman. There really has been no other distinctive voice aside from maybe Adam West.

He's good, but he isn't the be all, end all of Batman. I like him, but I prefer Bruce Greenwood.

There's a reason it took nearly twenty years to find a suitable follow-up ;)

Though I can actually understand why some people would like Greenwood's more, because there's a heroic quality about Conroy's voice that can't be shaken. I personally think Batman is a self-contradictory character who both views himself as a hero, but also as a monster to be feared, or just another man doing his duty.

That being said, Micheal Ironside has a scarier Batvoice.

I didn't really care for Ironside or Greenwoods voices all that much myself, I love Conroy but I do get why people say he's overrated and his Batman voice is not my personal favorite.

No, he is pretty much the end all, be all.

Not really.

Other actors have done it over the years, but you hear that tone of voice, you automatically know it's Batman.
Um, that's because he's been doing it for so long. Longevity doesn't mean anything to me.

EDIT: That's not to say that there isn't a good reason why people keep coming back to him. The guy is talented. Overrated, sure, but that doesn't mean he isn't good.

There's a reason it took nearly twenty years to find a suitable follow-up ;)

Yeah, because the DCAU lasted as long as it did.

There have been plenty of decent successors IMO. I just happen to like Greenwood the most.

Though I can actually understand why some people would like Greenwood's more, because there's a heroic quality about Conroy's voice that can't be shaken.
I liked Conroy a lot better when he was able to make Bruce Wayne and Batman sound different.

Last edited:
I didn't really care for Ironside or Greenwoods voices all that much myself, I love Conroy but I do get why people say he's overrated and his Batman voice is not my personal favorite.

squinty1_zps9387f516.gif

Conroy has the most detective-like voice out of all the VA's IMO.

I like Conroy, but then again, I've pretty much liked every VA doing Batman since him. Not a clunker in the bunch at all, IMO.

Conroy is overrated.

I'm sure Affleck's voice will be fine.
Figures. :dry:

Btw, he pretty much had to stop making his Bruce and Batman stop sounding different due to the direction the series took when it switched over from B:TAS and then Justice League. Besides, he used a different voice when he was giving that protest speech at the beginning of Arkham City than he did throughout the rest of the game. So Conroy is still perfectly capable.

Last edited:

Passive aggressive dismissal. How original.

Btw, he pretty much had to stop making his Bruce and Batman stop sounding different due to the direction the series took when it switched over from B:TAS and then Justice League.

1) Source?

2) I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he eventually wasn't able to do the original Batman voice because it started to hurt his throat. I can't find the quote, however, so I might be wrong about that.

3) Even if what you're saying is true, it doesn't change anything.

Besides, he used a different voice when he was giving that protest peech at the beginning of Arkham City than he did throughout the rest of the game. So Conroy is still perfectly capable.

I never said he wasn't capable of delivering a good performance. He is. That doesn't mean he isn't overrated. I know there is a negative connotation attached to the word, but I'm not trying to take anything away from him.

I like Conroy's voice but sometimes the way people talk about him on this board, it's almost like they think he also physically played the character. His voice was great, but that's all it was and there is more to the Batman character than the voice.

CONROY IS BATMAN AND I WILL NOT HEAR YOUR BLASPHEMIES

lalalalalalalalalalalalalala-cant-hear-you-lalalalalalalalala

Coming to say this, since people seem a little more down on Conroy than usual...

Conroy for me will always be the definitive Batman voice. I don't think he can be topped. I realize that TDKT was a more mature story and technically "better", but my favorite interpretation of Batman was the Timm version. JLU/JL/BTAS, it's all my favorite for sure. It's the comics come to life, and I think/hope that comics feel can be more of an influence for the new Batman. I'm really hoping for a strong Arkham Games/BTAS influenced Batman this time around.

Roger Craig Smith was impressive as Batman in Arkham Origins as well. IMO, there isn't just one voice for Batman. Conroy, Greenwood, Smith, and even Bale in the Begins videogame were all great.

Coming to say this, since people seem a little more down on Conroy than usual...

Conroy for me will always be the definitive Batman voice. I don't think he can be topped. I realize that TDKT was a more mature story and technically "better", but my favorite interpretation of Batman was the Timm version. JLU/JL/BTAS, it's all my favorite for sure. It's the comics come to life, and I think/hope that comics feel can be more of an influence for the new Batman. I'm really hoping for a strong Arkham Games/BTAS influenced Batman this time around.

I think there can be scarier voices that reflect his main intent of petrifying criminals out there, but I think Conroy will always have the most commanding and authoritative voice for the role.

I realize that TDKT was a more mature story and technically "better", but my favorite interpretation of Batman was the Timm version. JLU/JL/BTAS, it's all my favorite for sure. It's the comics come to life, and I think/hope that comics feel can be more of an influence for the new Batman. I'm really hoping for a strong Arkham Games/BTAS influenced Batman this time around.

From what I've gathered of Snyder and Affleck's experience on the character, they seem to be the children of the 70s and 80s iterations. So more leaned towards O'Neal and Miller. I think it'll take another reboot of these characters for us to see people influenced by the Timmverse. Most of us are in our late 20s to early 30s, and we were the main demographic when that universe was at its peak.

Speaking of which, anyone else think that Jim Caviezal could make a great Thomas Wayne should they make another solo film with Ben in it as Batman this time around?

Yeah he would. I always thought he'd be a good Batman too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"