Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Release Date Set for Fantastic Four Reboot - March 6, 2015

Mark Millar: "Guys with death rays robbing banks - it's a world I'm really comfortable with"
Steven MacKenzie said:
You’re also a creative consultant for 20th Century Fox. What's the job description for that?

I guess it's a kind of godfather position really. I'm overseeing all their superhero movies, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Wolverine and the movies that are related to them. It's quite a thing. Doing one movie is a big responsibility, but if you're suddenly doing six of them you're talking over a billion dollars of investment.

Reboot seems to be the word of the moment. Are there cultural reasons behind that or is it just an excuse to tell a good story over again?

I think it's actually something they try and avoid to tell you the truth. They're talking of doing a Fantastic Four reboot here at Fox with the guy who did Chronicle. That’s one I could get behind because I feel those first two Fantastic Four movies just weren’t that good.

Where did they go wrong? All the ingredients were there.

You're right in the sense that the movies actually made money – they made $400 million – but I think the fans would like to see it done a little bit differently. There were some unusual choices made in that film. It's still not clear entirely what the plan is, but I do think that Fantastic Four wasn’t as good as Spider-Man or The Dark Knight so if it’s rebooted, it will be for good reasons.

Inevitably when they reboot Batman again they’ll make it more like the 1960s TV show.

He's still my favourite Batman. Adam West to me is Batman. Christian Bale's a beefy impersonator. All these reboots seemed to happen about 10 years ago, you had Bond rebooted you had Batman rebooted. The ‘90s was all about retro, it was all about looking back on the previous 100 years and doing amalgamations of stuff. Oasis were the ultimate music example of that and Tarantino was the cinematic version. There was a fresh start feeling at the start of the decade and we're just continuing that now.

Fox must be under the gun to aim for 2015. I know they can retain the rights as long as the have the franchise in development by a certain date, but they also have to deliver a finished product. At this point they may be more concerned with holding onto those rights than with crafting a good film. To be honest, I believe they place more value on the rights to the FF's villains (Galactus, the Silver Surfer, Doctor Doom) than on the heroes themselves. It's a crying shame.

yeah this is still probably gonna be terrible, Chronicle director or no. hope im wrong. casting will tell us which way this is gonna go. well that and budget size.

that date is NOT a good sign.

It's the same date John Carter had, or is close to it.

Fox must be under the gun to aim for 2015. I know they can retain the rights as long as the have the franchise in development by a certain date, but they also have to deliver a finished product.

This reboot has been gestating for well over three years. Trank has been attached to the pic since last July. They're not pressed for time.

They have a script and a solid director. All they need to do is assemble the right cast to make this reboot worthwhile. If they begin production next year, they'll have plenty of time for filming and post-production to make the film on time and on budget.

And booking a March 2015 release is a smart move on Fox's part. If they make a good movie, they can strike before Avengers 2 claims everything in its path two months later.

They have plenty of time. Y'all are acting like it's being rushed into theaters.

It was announced earlier the plan was for FF to go Into production after Days of future
Past.So all Is going according to plan.With Avengers sequel,Star Wars episode VII,and
possibly Justice league In summer march Is smart.

And this means less money for poster child of evil hollywood corporations DIsney.

It's the same date John Carter had, or is close to it.

John Carter came out the second week of March, not the first week. And just because it's close to sharing a release date with JC doesn't mean it'll bomb at the box office.

I think that March 6 date is a solid vote of confidence on Fox's part. They've obviously looked at the trend of March releases like 300, The Lorax, Hunger Games and Alice in Wonderland.

I don't think they expect 'Alice' or HG-sized domestic earnings for the reboot though, but they could make a good profit if the movie's good.

I want to be excited for it.

Risky play by Fox. Fantastic Four isn't that intimidating a property that any of the other big companies wouldn't park their own March tentpole on the same date and do a squeeze play (ala DOFP and TBA in 2014).

As it stands 2015 is shaping up to be 2012 redux, but with TA2 in the TDKR role while JL and F4 are TA and TASM, respectively.

Risky play by Fox. Fantastic Four isn't that intimidating a property that any of the other big companies wouldn't park their own March tentpole on the same date and do a squeeze play (ala DOFP and TBA in 2014).

I think there's plenty of room in March 2015 to accomodate several tentpoles now. Conceivably, the competition could opt for the HG spot... which would be March 20, 2015.

Or if Fox is forced to move, they could always move to early April. I mean, Marvel is taking a risk by releasing CA2 in early April 2014, which is a slow month usually.

I have a mixed feeling about this F4 reboot. On one hand, I'd like to see a Fantastic 4 movie done right finally, but on the other hand I'd love nothing more than having Marvel's First Family joins MCU, and have Avengers, F4, and GOTG all battling the mighty Galactus and Dr. Doom. But I guess the silver lining is that it will let Marvel divert their limited resources on other movies such as Ant-Man and prepare for Avengers 2 in 2015.

I have a mixed feeling about this F4 reboot. On one hand, I'd like to see a Fantastic 4 movie done right finally, but on the other hand I'd love nothing more than having Marvel's First Family joins MCU, and have Avengers, F4, and GOTG all battling the mighty Galactus and Dr. Doom. But I guess the silver lining is that it will let Marvel divert their limited resources on other movies such as Ant-Man and prepare for Avengers 2 in 2015.
It would be years before they could build up to that type of event even if Marvel did have the rights to FF. Besides, I think there's a good chance that down the road Fox, Sony, and Marvel will strike a cross licensing deal to collaborate on their films anyway. There's obvious interest on both sides and you're crazy if you think a good number of those nerds all working on these films aren't bugging executives to do something about it. Hell, even executives on both sides want it.

Why doesnt this have its own subforum? Didnt the FF used to?

Mark Millar Q&A: why an overhaul of the superhero genre was long overdue

Liat Clark said:
Do you think studios are taking more risks as a result?

Definitely. Even a couple of years ago they wouldn't have let me across the door, so this is a paradigm shift and I think it's very interesting. If you look at Chronicle, they took its director Josh Trank and gave him Fantastic Four, and they looked at my stuff and now I'm doing a couple movies with Fox. They rang up and said we feel there's this new energy and we want it. They hadn't always had a huge success with Dare Devil and Fantastic Four, and X-Men was generally very good but some of the movies were uneven. And they wanted a more modern sensibility. I think that's the way it always works -- back in the early 90s they were hiring lots of Hong Kong directors, after John Woo they thought that's what we do now and I think after Kick-Ass and after Chronicle they're bringing in us guys to reach out to the superhero franchise.

They know I can do four quadrant family friendly stuff as well as the hardcore stuff. Something like Fantastic Four could lend itself to some more hardcore stuff. You've got to make it modern and resonate but you've also got to do something an eight-year-old can watch.

Last edited:
Because this movie won't happen. That's why.

Then why does it have a release date? Fox wants this to happen, they're not going to let the rights expire like they did with Daredevil.

‘Fantastic Four’ Reboot Gets A 2015 Release Date

Rob Keyes said:
With this date selection, Trank will likely be shooting in early 2014, which makes us wonder when he’ll begin shooting on Shadow of the Colossus, Sony’s video game adaptation. It also means that Fox has one Marvel movie a year for the next three years.

We know that Fox wants to (re)establish the Fantastic Four before doing something more ambitious, like crossing them over with the X-Men, but that absolutely is the next logical step if Bryan Singer can do something special with his time travel tale, X-Men: Days of Future Past.

YAY! There's finally a release date!!!

Can't wait for this reboot! I hope its turns out to be good!

All you guys said:
2015... The Avengers 2, Justice League, Star wars VII, Fantastic Four

How about the sequel to the most successful movie of all time to that list?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"