Justice League Justice League: News and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if he's the guy to do it or if he's that interested. But, they seriously need a Kevin Feige.

Or anyone who works in WB animation doing DC-related stuff. Not saying that whatever they come up with will be the best, but they clearly have a good idea of how to bring these characters to life outside of comics. At some point, someone at WB thought this and that's why there's a Batman Beyond live-action script somewhere out there.

Ah, imagine if Dwayne McDuffie were still alive and came up with a script.

In order for DC to get a Kevin Feige, they will need their DC Entertainment to be more than just a rubber stamp for WB. Right now they are nothing more than an ornament, and it is Chris Nolan, not those creative minds from DC, who is overseeing the DC superhero projects. Even MOS has his fingerprints all over it, and the one that didn't (GL) disappointed.

The problem is that Marvel Studios was its own entity before being purchased by Disney, but DC Entertainment seemed to be a half-hearted attempt by WB to try to put more focus on their superhero properties, but they did not give them any authority on projects like MOS and without those powers they are just window-dressing for the most part. And with the appointment of WB's chairman for motion picture still up in the air, I doubt any serious decisions will be made before then.

Who said that Nolan is going to produce every DC Superhero film?

No one came out and said that but him and legendary need to stick around.wb doesnt get it. They keep listening to morons like mark millar. Of course he's going to say JL is a bad idea. He's the feige of the fox marvel movieverse

Who said that Nolan is going to produce every DC Superhero film?

It's not that anyone said that he was, but the fact of the matter is that in the past 10 years, he has been the most successful director/producer of DC film properties. If "Man of Steel" is a success I am willing to bet that the shared universe will be in Nolan's vision. BTW, I just noticed at Copyright.gov that last month (January 13, 2013) the WB and DC extended their existing copyright (which they took out in May of 2010) for the Justice League Picture so I think they want to do this.

I think they should give it to Guggenheim and Berlanti, their drafts of the Green Lantern script were solid. The Flash script was reported as being really good.

I'm still puzzled as to why WB is dragging their heels on stuff like this, or turning a good draft of GL into something generic by the time it started shooting. :csad:

And I think there's still a window of six months for WB to decided on whether to pull the trigger on MOS 2 or JL for summer 2015. If Snyder is tentatively on board to direct JL, I think it's good they're doing a page-one rewrite. As long as they get a good script doctor or someone other than Goyer.

That way, if MOS does well, they can get JL going more quickly if it's a high priority for them.

How about David Goyer on Justice League and acting as the "Feige" for the shared DC universe? He collaborated with Nolan on the Dark Knight trilogy and he wrote the script for MoS.

From what I remember, he also has a good working relationship with Geoff Johns. Not that I'm a big Geoff Johns fan, but he seems to write comics towards adaptability for the big screen.

In the twitpic/internet scoop era you could never realistically hide that from people. Nor would the studio ever want to hide the greatest superhero from any marketing

Even if we know he is going to come back in the eventual Justice League film... Having him definitively die in a Superman solo-flick would shock audiences.

I'm talking, Dead. Credits Roll. No Post-Credit sequence. The End. Dead.

People will walk out of the theater sad and shocked.

That's the drama you need to build for a Justice League team to be necessary to come to fruition.

Otherwise... Otherwise, in the real world, Superman can just save the day.

-R

^^ Sounds like a real downer. Don't know if the GA would be interested in something like that, especially so soon.

In order for DC to get a Kevin Feige, they will need their DC Entertainment to be more than just a rubber stamp for WB. Right now they are nothing more than an ornament, and it is Chris Nolan, not those creative minds from DC, who is overseeing the DC superhero projects. Even MOS has his fingerprints all over it, and the one that didn't (GL) disappointed.

The problem is that Marvel Studios was its own entity before being purchased by Disney, but DC Entertainment seemed to be a half-hearted attempt by WB to try to put more focus on their superhero properties, but they did not give them any authority on projects like MOS and without those powers they are just window-dressing for the most part. And with the appointment of WB's chairman for motion picture still up in the air, I doubt any serious decisions will be made before then.

Kevin whateverhisnameis got the CEO position, right?

His background is in animation projects. Do you really want to take a chance with him one a big screen tent-pole project like Justice League right out of the gate? I have a feeling that Christopher Nolan and Co. are quietly taking this over.

Yes I do take that chance, as I said before just look at Brad Bird and how well he did with MI4.
Also Nolan and co aren't coming back, I dobut that are quietly taking over the JL project.

^^ Sounds like a real downer. Don't know if the GA would be interested in something like that, especially so soon.

So soon?

If he dies in film 2 or 3... That's not very soon. Soon in relation to what?

And if he comes back triumphantly to complete the Justice League team in a truly epic, awe-inspiring moment it will definitely be worth the downer of the film where he is killed. It would set the stakes in a Justice League film so high if we think that this threat was too much for Superman. And it will show that Superman needs the help of the other four heroes.

-R

I personally never considered Superman to be overpowered to the point where he wouldn't need the rest of the JL by his side. That sounds more like the Golden/Silver Age and All-Star versions of Superman as opposed to the one from the mainstream comics.

So soon?

If he dies in film 2 or 3... That's not very soon. Soon in relation to what?

And if he comes back triumphantly to complete the Justice League team in a truly epic, awe-inspiring moment it will definitely be worth the downer of the film where he is killed. It would set the stakes in a Justice League film so high if we think that this threat was too much for Superman. And it will show that Superman needs the help of the other four heroes.

-R

You didn't say movie 2 or 3 in your other post, and then you mentioned he'd return in the JL movie, so I assumed you were talking about MoS. The return of Superman in a JL movie sounds cool, but I'd wait until at least the second JL to pull something like that.

I personally never considered Superman to be overpowered to the point where he wouldn't need the rest of the JL by his side. That sounds more like the Golden/Silver Age and All-Star versions of Superman as opposed to the one from the mainstream comics.

I understand that we as comic book fans don't feel that way... But the mainstream audience's main complaint about Supes is that "he's too powerful, nothing can hurt him but a green rock."

Well, if we introduced a threat that not only challenges Superman, but defeats him? That would make the formation of a superhero team feel organic and plausible within the world they've created.

Having Superman return in the middle of the film (40 minutes in about, think Batman's first appearance in The Dark Knight Rises) would make for an epic movie moment. It would leave the other heroes in just as much awe as it would leave the audience.

I just think that this would make the point of a Justice League film feel earned and not rushed. I also think that killing Superman and treating this as his return and putting the stakes that high would put asses in the seats. It would build buzz. People would go into Justice League thinking "wow, they've killed Superman off, all bets are off... There are no rules."

It would be a risky gamble that I think would pay off beautifully and could make for one of the best moments in comic book films.

You didn't say movie 2 or 3 in your other post, and then you mentioned he'd return in the JL movie, so I assumed you were talking about MoS. The return of Superman in a JL movie sounds cool, but I'd wait until at least the second JL to pull something like that.

Yeah, in my first, larger post above it I outline a detailed plan for DC on film...that would be incredible, I think...

-R

Last edited:

The only thing Nolan has been involved with are his Batman films and MOS. I've never gotten the impression that he wants to be involved with any other DC characters.

There are way too many unknowledgeable execs with concerns outside of DC stuff to have full focus on it.

I understand that we as comic book fans don't feel that way... But the mainstream audience's main complaint about Supes is that "he's too powerful, nothing can hurt him but a green rock."

Well, if we introduced a threat that not only challenges Superman, but defeats him? That would make the formation of a superhero team feel organic and plausible within the world they've created.

Having Superman return in the middle of the film (40 minutes in about, think Batman's first appearance in The Dark Knight Rises) would make for an epic movie moment. It would leave the other heroes in just as much awe as it would leave the audience.

I just think that this would make the point of a Justice League film feel earned and not rushed. I also think that killing Superman and treating this as his return and putting the stakes that high would put asses in the seats. It would build buzz. People would go into Justice League thinking "wow, they've killed Superman off, all bets are off... There are no rules."

It would be a risky gamble that I think would pay off beautifully and could make for one of the best moments in comic book films.

Yeah, in my first, larger post above it I outline a detailed plan for DC on film...that would be incredible, I think...

-R

Another way would to simply make it not be about 'power'.

What if Bats and/or Supes recruits the members because of their specific abilities to use for a specific purpose on a mission? (think Ocean's Eleven, Inception, or any 'heist' movie)

Ie: they know that they need to get the truth from someone (who they can't afford to kill/hurt/intimidate), so they seek out Wonder Woman, and her lasso.

They need something done in an extremely short time frame, so they seek out the Flash, etc

I think this would be a unique way to bring the heroes together other than "these are the heroes we found for this movie...", like they did in Avengers and First Class.

Perhaps after they complete their mission, the idea of being a team, working together, bringing their unique abilities to the table, seems like a good idea.
Or perhaps, if it's in the Nolanverse, Bruce suggests that the team stays together for symbolic purposes (keeping in line with his mission in TDK trilogy), inspiring hope for the rest of the world, which they'd now need given the revelation that there are other forces out in the universe (Darkseid, etc) who intend to cause them harm.

Last edited:
No one came out and said that but him and legendary need to stick around.wb doesnt get it. They keep listening to morons like mark millar. Of course he's going to say JL is a bad idea.

Exactly. WB's losing the Nolans, Goyer and the partnership with Legendary would be bad moves and just bad business overall by the WB's suits/execs.

No matter how a small minority of fanboys in here may hate on Nolan. The man is a special talent and that is not debatable.

Yes I do take that chance, as I said before just look at Brad Bird and how well he did with MI4.
Also Nolan and co aren't coming back, I dobut that are quietly taking over the JL project.

So let him do the next Batman or Superman film (already established franchises). It's a bigger risk to do Justice League, which has never established itself as a film franchise yet.

I wasn't strictly speaking of JL, I just want Timm to be in a Kevin Feige role for DC live action films.

Another way would to simply make it not be about 'power'.

What if Bats and/or Supes recruits the members because of their specific abilities to use for a specific purpose on a mission? (think Ocean's Eleven, Inception, or any 'heist' movie)

Ie: they know that they need to get the truth from someone (who they can't afford to kill/hurt/intimidate), so they seek out Wonder Woman, and her lasso.

They need something done in an extremely short time frame, so they seek out the Flash, etc

I think this would be a unique way to bring the heroes together other than "these are the heroes we found for this movie...", like they did in Avengers and First Class.

Perhaps after they complete their mission, the idea of being a team, working together, bringing their unique abilities to the table, seems like a good idea.
Or perhaps, if it's in the Nolanverse, Bruce suggests that the team stays together for symbolic purposes (keeping in line with his mission in TDK trilogy), inspiring hope for the rest of the world, which they'd now need given the revelation that there are other forces out in the universe (Darkseid, etc) who intend to cause them harm.

Combine the two ideas.

Superman dies...

We have established a DC Universe (Solo Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Flash films). Darkseid has taken over Earth... It's under occupation. Batman, like the general he is, realizes that Superman isn't coming back, so he basically goes out and tries to "rebuild" Superman, by getting these other heroes to work together and hopes that their combined powers match or come close to equaling Superman's.

Have Batman be the one who assembles the team. Ultimately having him come to grips with his own mortality in the process. But still having the team members respect and ever fear him a little bit. And once the team is assembled, and it's still not enough to win, Superman returns, putting the team over the top.

-R

just a joke because it continues to be delayed. This was my most anticipated film for 2015, hope it still happens

It still could be released in 2015....depends on how smoothly the rewrites go.

I'm hoping for Holidays 2015 or better, the week of 4th of July 2016.

Does anyone else think Man of Steel originally being in its own universe has something to do with a complete rewrite? That seems to me the most logical reason for starting from scratch.

The want to make sure the JL script is tied into MOS's universe. Bealls script was not tied in as much as it should have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"