Supergirl Katie McGrath IS Lena Luthor!

I doubt that they'd be that nuanced. Also I've had about enough of the need for "darkness" on these shows recently. They don't tend to handle it well most of the time.

Also she's been manipulated her entire life basically, so I really necessarily buy that THIS would change things that much.

I'm just not really all that interested in seeing them go that route right now. It's just cliché and predictable and they've done it way too much as it is recently. Her being a Luthor, makes it more so.

Are you just enjoying having digs at everything I'm saying? The writers are redoing the same thing over and over. It's lazy as **** writing and it's predictable. Had they done a better job this season we may think Lena could turn bad seen as though they keep attempting to tease she may then not doing anything with it.

Nope. Never once crossed my mind actually.

I doubt that they'd be that nuanced. Also I've had about enough of the need for "darkness" on these shows recently. They don't tend to handle it well most of the time.

Also she's been manipulated her entire life basically, so I really necessarily buy that THIS would change things that much.

I'm just not really all that interested in seeing them go that route right now. It's just cliché and predictable and they've done it way too much as it is recently. Her being a Luthor, makes it more so.

but everything about her has been predictable, once they established her as good early on. As it stands she doesnt really add anything to the show besides being a pawn and that itself got boring

but everything about her has been predictable, once they established her as good early on. As it stands she doesnt really add anything to the show besides being a pawn and that itself got boring

Lena gives Kara someone to chat with now that Cat is semi-retired and Alex is hanging out with Maggie, Winn has Lyra, and James is doing his Guardian
Shtick. And will be needed even more by Kara now that Mon-El is spending time in the 30th century. Sometimes all a character needs is a friend.

She also brings new inventions and ideas and a lot of power, all of which has come in handy throughout the season. As well as a different viewpoint and perspective on some things and a personal connection to the ongoing Luthor/Cadmus threat. She brings plenty, imo.

Also, she needs to eventually save a falling, depowered/injured Kara from crashing to Earth, by catching her while wearing a suit of powered armor. *cough*

Lena gives Kara someone to chat with now that Cat is semi-retired and Alex is hanging out with Maggie, Winn has Lyra, and James is doing his Guardian
Shtick. And will be needed even more by Kara now that Mon-El is spending time in the 30th century. Sometimes all a character needs is a friend.

I'm cool with all of that....and then comes the shippers that ruin my enjoyment. BUT, I HAVE TO SAY, that I must have done a bang up job on twitter of muting the right people, because there is all kinds of shizzle going down after Monday night, and I have seen none of it. :sly: :cwink: :woot:

To me that just highlights a redundancy. They diluted the roles of all those characters to give Lena something that was already fufilled. I dont think giving her more layers and makingher more gray means she cant still be Kara's friend. She can still be that yet have different ideologies with opposing views and how to handle things

I'm cool with all of that....and then comes the shippers that ruin my enjoyment. BUT, I HAVE TO SAY, that I must have done a bang up job on twitter of muting the right people, because there is all kinds of shizzle going down after Monday night, and I have seen none of it. :sly: :cwink: :woot:

Sometimes all a character needs is a friend.

I am down with that too O-Rex...and then like you said Kel, in come the shippers who have far better things to do with themselves. It's b/c of these shippers I do not follow the #Supergirl anymore on Twitter.

A video has surfaced online featuring Katie McGrath in her red dress...and it's official...she's now a part of the silliness that is the Supergirl set.

Video from Instagram.

I'm very glad she is going to be a regular cast member next season!

I'd even say she's one of my favorite characters on the show period, not just of the season. Top three, definitely.

Kara comes first, obviously, then J'onn and then Lena.

Nope, Kara, Alex and Jonn have been my favorites and will probably continue to be the top 3. :)

I rank the whole cast equally.... apart from Greg.... Greg sucks.

Lena, Kara, J'onn, Alex. Surprisingly, this is also the order in which I would date them. :o

I think these are my top 3 exactly. :up:

BuddyTV named Lena the MVP of this season, and I'm inclined to agree:

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/supergirl/lena-luthor-is-the-mvp-of-supe-64814.aspx

I like her character but I wouldn't put her as mvp. That goes to Alex, with Kara in a close second....but Lena definitely in third. I got tired of the oooh no she is bad, oh wait...she's good. And I don't think she had anywhere near the meat to chew that Chyler and Melissa had.

Unfortunately, while Alex was definitely my 2nd fave last season, this season did her no favors in my eyes. Her coming out arc was good, but all her erratic behavior after that (with both Jeremiah AND Maggie)...less so. It's to the point where I don't really care about her anymore outside of her scenes with Kara. And I wasn't thrilled with Kara's writing this season either. The Mon-El romance was just a case of too much too fast for me, and it seemed to take up the majority of her screentime. I just think the Danvers sisters were let down a little this season (not enough to ruin the season for me though, as I still prefer it overall to the first). In the meantime, Lena swooped in and gave me all sorts of surprise character (AND plot) development I was not expecting, which is why she's my MVP. I definitely was not prepared to find her character so compelling when we first met her.

I feel like Alex had some good material early. Same for Kara. But once they were in relationships, their arcs changed, and the strong material felt lesser as the season went on imo. Or maybe I just didn't like how they started acting. I don't know.

Unfortunately, while Alex was definitely my 2nd fave last season, this season did her no favors in my eyes. Her coming out arc was good, but all her erratic behavior after that (with both Jeremiah AND Maggie)...less so. It's to the point where I don't really care about her anymore outside of her scenes with Kara. And I wasn't thrilled with Kara's writing this season either. The Mon-El romance was just a case of too much too fast for me, and it seemed to take up the majority of her screentime. I just think the Danvers sisters were let down a little this season (not enough to ruin the season for me though, as I still prefer it overall to the first). In the meantime, Lena swooped in and gave me all sorts of surprise character (AND plot) development I was not expecting, which is why she's my MVP. I definitely was not prepared to find her character so compelling when we first met her.

It is the same for me though as far as Lena...early on and I mean VERY EARLY ON like in her first few episodes I really liked her. Though "Luthors" is not in my top 5 it is in my top 10 for the season...I think it pissed me off that we see her with the chess piece and it looks and sounds (music wise) so cool.....and then we get nothing. I also got very tired of the dinner scenes with Rhea, very boring....and about 3 too many of them, I believe there were 4 in all. To me they were filler and not interesting at all....so that has probably clouded my view somewhat. I hope that we see something more with the chess piece little scene this next season. That would go a long way to making her much more interesting for me.

See I just want them to quit with the "shady looks into the distance" with her (like that chess piece shot) that suggest she's secretly evil, 'cause it's pretty clear that she's not. She's good, though hardly a saint, who's a loyal friend to our protagonist but has a somewhat different perspective on aliens than our other main characters have, and the writers just need to let her be that, imo. She's also plagued by her family's legacy and is desperate to make her mark on the world and has actually has the brains and power to do that as well as a Luthor-instilled reckless tendency to take care of things herself even when it's incredibly ill-advised, so that's another element they can play with. They don't need to add the "but is she really evil?" question to all that, because we're beyond that with her at this point, imo, and frankly, it applies a reductive two-dimensional outlook to a character they've already established as a complex, three-dimensional person. But overall, I've found her characterization to be pretty consistent - we just gradually saw more layers to it that helped us understand her earlier behavior over time. And a little consistency goes a long way for me right now, when they have episodes like "Alex," "We Can Be Heroes" and "Homecoming" where Kara or Alex behaved completely out of character so that some other character can make a point.

And I'm pretty sure there were only two Rhea/Lena dinner scenes, lol. One in "Alex," one in "City of Lost Children." I found the first one pretty interesting, because we got to hear Rhea's twisted perspective on what went down with Kara and Mon-El, and Lena's reaction to her "gods" slip-up that made me hope she'd figure her out (which she did), so it was hardly filler. The 2nd one though, yeah, that was filler. But then so was that whole damn episode 'til the end, pretty much.

Last edited:
See I just want them to quit with the "shady looks into the distance" with her (like that chess piece shot) that suggest she's secretly evil, 'cause it's pretty clear that she's not.

Well, it suggests she's somewhat calculating, and that she has some sort of long-term plan unfolding in the background.

But none of that is evil, necessarily.

I'm fine with a certain aura of mystery surrounding the character.

I would prefer that she not become a villain, but I don't think she needs to be transparently good either. There are plenty of characters on the show that already fill that role.

I'd like to see a genuine friendship but with genuine disagreements about certain things, with Lena maybe challenging Kara's worldview a bit, and vice versa.

Those shots were the ones that made her interesting to me. If you have a Luthor, genius, etc...and you have a story line from the comics that you can use....then use it, she doesn't have to be evil to be putting together a clandestine group to fight evil aliens in a way that she wants to do it....rather than Kara's and the DEO's way of no killing if at all possible and opposed to Cadmus that is "kill all aliens". But if all she is going to do is be a bestie for Kara that is a genius. We have that already his name is Winn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"