The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Paul Giamatti IS Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Runs
Hostile
Interference for
Norman
Osborne

I hope Rhino is on screen for a maximum of 5 minutes. I love Giamatti but there is a lot of story to tell, characters to be developed that are Crucial to the death of Gwen Stacy conclusion not to mention how much screen time the main villian (Electro) will get and I'd rather that not be bogged down by a superfluous B list villian.

Last edited:
For all we know, Giamatti may not even show up in Rhino form.

Yeah, I'd like to see the official announcement that Paul Giamatti is playng Rhino. Has anyone in this production actually confirmed it?

Yeah, I'd like to see the official announcement that Paul Giamatti is playng Rhino. Has anyone in this production actually confirmed it?

Can someone answer this, please? :yay:

I don't think there was ever any official announcement that Paul Giamatti is playing the Rhino. It was only officially announced that he would be in the film, as he is listed in the official press release. There were only rumors from major news outlets that he was in talks to play the Rhino, but I don't believe it was ever confirmed.

Then let's stop calling him Rhino until we get an official announcement from Sony, the actors or at least Variety. If Variety said he's playing the Rhino then that's a really great source--did they say it?

He's been "confirmed" the same way as shaliene and jamie were prior to their official sony confirmation.

With those two it took a decent amount of time for the official seal of casting approval to be made; now giamatti is in the same boat.

so no, it is not official that he is the rhino but it is extremely likely.

ps. it was the hollywood reporter who said he was in talks. from what i hear there is no reason to doubt them.

THR had this news only 1 week before first shooting day but Foxx was revealed in October and already had some costume tests in October/November. I think Giamatti's role won't be big.

I too would prefer it be a very minor role, but I'd love for it to be a memorable one.

This is perplexing. Giamatti is phenomenal, but Rhino is a terrible villain, imo (well, the 616 version). I'm very curious to see how he'll fit, more curious than I was about Bane in TDKR. It's also smart to use 2 relatively B-list villains instead of a heavy hitter, that's why I'm cautiously optimistic. Maybe among the duo, Electro will be the "heart" and Rhino will be the "brain" of the movie (thematically).

Having said that, and having read the thread, 2 things:
1.There's no way in bad place his role will be like Scarecrow's in TDK, or something less than a legitimately supporting role.
2.There's no way we're not getting R.H.I.N.O.

Seriously, I don't know what to think of this. The inclusion of this character alone makes this movie worthy to follow.

Having said that, what could've been if we had gotten Electro in TASM as a generic underdeveloped villain and Lizard as a full-fledged dramatic villain for TASM2...

I'm glad the Lizard was used in the first movie. Not my favourite villain by any means, nor did I care for the appearance or how he was used. Regardless, his impact on Peter and small bits of information on his past was crucial to whatever story Marc Webb is throwing at us.

I would have preferred he didn't talk. I also didn't care for his diabolical plot. Turning into a lizard (with a snout) and just destroying everything it encounters would have been enough. Have him go wild on the city and have Spidey save it. His family would have added so much more to his character as well.

No point dwelling though, I loved his connection with Richard Parker. However, there is so much more to learn.

Rhino will add a huge dynamic to this movie. Plus, we've never seen Spidey battle a foe that didn't lead to an end of the movie finale. Have him take down Rhino at the beginning, big confidence boost. Won't be the last we see of Rhino, he'll return for the Sinister 6. ;)

Rhino adding a huge dynamic to anything? Sounds impossible to me. Comics Lizard is one of my favorite Spidey villains and one of the deepest, too. As someone very correctly stated, TASM Lizard was a by-the-numbers version of Doc Ock. Huge missed opportunity there.

What a waste of talent here, if he is indeed putting on a suit as Rhino. Such a terrible villain. I wouldn't even call him a B-List Villain...i'd throw him down to "C". So I hope he's more of a business man or henchman and doesn't appear for too long. He could be a nice addition to the movie if done correctly but if he is "Rhino" then I think they're just throwing in rogues for the sake of it. It's like saying "Raimi used these ones! We only have those left! Let's throw in Rhino!". Gosh I would prefer Malkovich as Vulture and I can't even stand that character.

So here's to hoping Giamatti never gets a suit and horns and fights Spider-Man with any use of special effects.

What a waste of talent here, if he is indeed putting on a suit as Rhino. Such a terrible villain. I wouldn't even call him a B-List Villain...i'd throw him down to "C". So I hope he's more of a business man or henchman and doesn't appear for too long. He could be a nice addition to the movie if done correctly but if he is "Rhino" then I think they're just throwing in rogues for the sake of it. It's like saying "Raimi used these ones! We only have those left! Let's throw in Rhino!". Gosh I would prefer Malkovich as Vulture and I can't even stand that character.

So here's to hoping Giamatti never gets a suit and horns and fights Spider-Man with any use of special effects.

I have feeling people would complain about any villian that was chosen for this movie. Save for Doc Ock, Venom and GG, most aren't all that popular as a singular entitnity. Vulture ranks at the same level as Rhino, Sandman, Scorpin and Electro in terms of popularity. Beetle, Tinkerer and Kangaroo are C listers.

A-Ock, GG, Venom, Carnage
B-Electro, Rhino, Vulture, Sandman, Mysterio, Kraven, Scorpin, Shocker (possibly Morbius), Kingpin, Chamelon
C-Prowler, Beetle, Kangaroo, Hydro, Tinkerer

A's and B's are fairly well known (A's most of course), C's are pretty obscure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Giamatti but this seems like a really odd casting choice. Maybe for Doctor Octopus, but Rhino? Even for the Ultimate version it's a choice you wouldn't expect.

I have feeling people would complain about any villian that was chosen for this movie. Save for Doc Ock, Venom and GG, most aren't all that popular as a singular entitnity. Vulture ranks at the same level as Rhino, Sandman, Scorpin and Electro in terms of popularity. Beetle, Tinkerer and Kangaroo are C listers.

A-Ock, GG, Venom, Carnage
B-Electro, Rhino, Vulture, Sandman, Mysterio, Kraven, Scorpin, Shocker (possibly Morbius), Kingpin, Chamelon
C-Prowler, Beetle, Kangaroo, Hydro, Tinkerer

A's and B's are fairly well known (A's most of course), C's are pretty obscure.

Carnage ? :| He is a B villain at best. Spidey's 'best' villains are GG and Ock, and maybe Venom.

What his best villains are is totally subjective and depending on how well they are written. General audience obviously had a perceived idea of what kind of villain Bane was after the fiasco in B&R, yet Nolan gave him back his dignity and now people know him as the cunning killing machine he is. I don't think they cast an actor like Paul Giamatti just to say they have a recognizable actor as a presumably oversimplified villain. I believe they would do him justice and actually showcase him better than he was in the comics. Straying from the source material can be a very good decision sometimes.

Carnage ? :| He is a B villain at best. Spidey's 'best' villains are GG and Ock, and maybe Venom.

Well I'm talking about popularity wise. Carnage is relatively well known and a lot of people want him in the movies. Venom and GG are usually made out to be his arch villians, Doc Ock a little bit too, though not as much.

Maybe Rhino's a mob dude or gang leader who comes into possession of his suit via the black market or something. He can work in that capacity. They could also reinvent him or flesh him out like Nolan did with Bane.

Rampaging
bad place
Indiscreetly
Nudging
Onlooker's

its-something.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"