The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Thread Manager, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incredible Hans

Incredible Hans I'm always hungry!

Actually Ultron is more of an Avengers villain than Thanos is.

2. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Thanos is the guy that "wraps things up" he's not the person you put in the middle of a story, he's the person that is built up to over time. Speaking from a story standpoint, it wouldn't make any sense to go as big as Thanos in the 2nd film then decrease the scale in the third film.

Yep, MUCH more of an Avengers villain that's why he's a must have for the Avengers franchise in my opinion.

3. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

This numbers make me very happy, in the way that we'll have Marvel movies for a very long time.

4. Incredible Hans

But use him in the sequel in which way - as the main villain or as a force behind the scenes, puppetering the main villain?

Is Thanos Darth Vader or the Emperor? Anything's possible.

5. Incredible Hans

We saw Curt Connors in SM2, but he didn't become the Lizard in SM3.

They talked about the Emperor in the first of the old Star Wars movies, but in ESB, he only appeared for about a minute. It was not before ROTJ that the Emperor was the main villain.

The first LOTR movie showed us what Sauron did in the past and we were told how he created to One Ring, but The Two Towers centered around Saruman and his army of Isengart. We had to wait for the third movie for Sauron.

It could be the concept of the Avengers trilogy (if it is a trilogy) that Thanos' presence can be felt in part 1 and 2. But he won't confront the Avengers in person until part 3.

6. K'Prime

K'Prime Beast mode

I've thought about that as a reason but thanos doesn't have to be and end all but more of an opening for galaxy movies.far as 3rd Ultron is anything but small potatoes for the avengers.they could also go with something loosely based off fear itself.Except leave out the snake and everyone becoming super sayins bit.But I do get the reasoning for not needing thanos to be in 2.I was just looking at it as there taking it 1 at a time

7. Nokio

Nokio Well-Known Member

Agreed! Thanos is the villian where the avengers, F4, and Xmen unite to stop. He's that big but it's not gonna happen here so they have to make big in scale though in my opinion.

8. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Ultron is definately not small potatoes but he certainly isn't anywhere near the threat level of Thanos.

9. spider-neil

spider-neil spins a web any size!

with avengers making so much money and TDKR more than likely making so much money then disney have no chance of getting the rights back for daredevil, FF, X-MEN and spidey. film writes are hotter than ever.

10. Nokio

Nokio Well-Known Member

My god what does it matter who makes more!! Good Lord people I hope both do well. It looks so far that Avengers is gonna be a big hit. Well guess what to those who are taking sides i hope Batman does similar or higher numbers. I'm happy that i'm in a time in a point that Hollywood is doing justice to these films. Not all have worked but its been better then we deserve from Hollywood with their track record.

11. Nokio

Nokio Well-Known Member

Dude you're preaching to the choir. I already said that. Marvel is gonna have to pry them rites from FOX's cold dead hands. Although I can see them holding Xmen but F4, DD and SS and Galactus??? I thought FOX has to play or loose. I've not seen any mention of a SS film that FOX claimed was down the pipe. I hope Marvel can get them back.

12. Juicy J

Juicy J Well-Known Member

If this movie doesn't break box office records it will blow my mind.
    Each showing I've seen has been packed.
    Dozens and dozens of my friends have already seen it.
    Heck, a friend of mine who works the movie theater closest to me told me that in the 10 years it's been open, that theater has never sold out as many showings as it did yesterday. They even had to cancel a showing of Wrath of the Titans to play the Avengers, and that showing sold out.
    So like I said: if this doesn't break records, I will be flabbergasted.

13. Pond

Pond Well-Known Member

I am a huge Whedon fan: i have seen great shows of his beiing mishandled by netwoorks (aka Fox) and being cancelled; i have seen them struggle with ratings... So forgive me a little if i just get excited a little with this. :woot:

14. Mary Jane Watson

Mary Jane Watson Well-Known Member

Same here, in my small town and I have never seen A HUGE line up in my life and everyone enjoyed= GOOD WOM

15. Mary Jane Watson

Mary Jane Watson Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with people who just get excited about who makes more. I enjoy that too... especially when you make bets with ur friends or people. :woot:

16. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

And the thing is the rate this is going no one will be able to use the 3D excuse. Sure 3D pumped the sales figures of this film, but the ticket sales are flying off the shelf as well. In fact this was only the 7th largest release, less than the dark knight, less than Harry Potter, so this movie could have possibly had even more astronomical numbers had it more theaters available.

17. ToastMaGoats

ToastMaGoats Active Member

Do we have a WW total for Friday yet??

18. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

$414.817M WW by friday midnight.

19. KangConquers

KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I love how there were some skeptics who said Avengers would roughly gross what Iron Man did; it's worldwide total will surpass Iron Man 1 on Monday, and Iron Man 2 no later than Wednesday Night.

This might be overselling the movie, but it could hit 1 Billion Dollars WW before MiB even opens in 3 weeks.

20. Gamma Burst

Gamma Burst Well-Known Member

Man, this movie is a juggernaut!!

21. The Morningstar

The Morningstar Well-Known Member

450 us. 650-700 int.

22. PokeJ

PokeJ Well-Known Member

I can't believe how busy my local theater has been today. I drive by it a couple of times a day, and there are lines wrapped around the building. This is a big theater chain too w/ an Imax theater. I believe this movie can do 60+ mil today.

23. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Hehehehehe it's down right hilarious to me, I new that wasn't going to be the case from day one.

It's common sense really, I think some people were doubting just because they like being oppositional.

24. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

Huge congratulations to Joss Whedon and Marvel Studios.

This movie deserves every cent it makes :up:.

25. Juicy J

Juicy J Well-Known Member

At this point nothing would surprise me. I knew it'd be big, but man...
    It puts a little pep in my step that it's doing as well as it is. Even though I had literally nothing to do with the film I feel like it's my baby in a way, cause I've been foaming at the mouth for this for six years. I was a freshman in high school when I first started nagging my friends about this thing, and now I'm a sophomore in college, it's finally here...and its kicking all kinds of ass.
    I couldn't be happier about the whole thing :woot:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.