The Avengers The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This film is like a train gonna be the biggest earner this year for sure

I just saw the movie again today(its my 2nd time seeing it), when I went to the midnight show there were no kids but this one was full of them. The theather was probably 89% full and this is not a busy theater in my town, its just conveniently located to where I live now. Everyone who was in line was going to see The Avengers, some weren't even going to the same showing as me, and there was a showing every 30 minutes(some 2d, some 3d). The first half of the movie I was getting a little worried that the kids weren't into it cause they weren't laughing at the jokes(my midnight show laughed at ALL the right places, it was great.) but once the Hulk came on the scene on the helicarrier they started getting into it. They loved The Hulk. Everyone laughed and clapped at the stuff he did. The kids were really into the movie once the team assembled and when it ended I heard multiple people walking out(yes, before the 2 end credit scenes) saying "That was GREAT".

Last edited:
This film is like a train gonna be the biggest earner this year for sure
FOR sure. And honestly, besides toy story 3, out of all the top films,this is the first one I've seen that i feel deserves to make over a billion. Hope it does!

First WB/DC/Legendary, have to buy into the "shared universe" concept. I doubt you'll find anyone that wants to do that. Hell I know that Goyer and Nolan poo-pooed the idea when this stuff was first announced.

I think people also forget that WB was planning on a JL film and were even in talks with getting a script writer and trying to tie down names. Of course Nolan was freaking pissed about it, because this was before TDK came out, and he thought it would undermine his film.

Really WB has always had the problem with too many suits in the room ala Fox. I doubt Nolan would have ever had as much freedom as he did, if not for the debacle of the previous Batman films. I honestly think the suits at WB didn't care and didn't really even know what they had with Nolan.

I think that WB is going to greenlight a JLA film, and they will make it a complete solo film, and it will be just like what happened with Green Lantern.

Prove me wrong WB, because I would love to be wrong on that, but to quote agent coulson, "you will fail because it's in your nature."

WB will fail to make a JLA movie because they lack conviction. :o

Is there a link to an interview/stamtement/whatever of Nolan talking about the idea of a shared universe? I saw this on many threads now, I´m getting curious.

And sorry for being OT.

They will make it, that's a guarantee. They would be foolish not to. It's WB's way out of continuing to play the Batman tune. Introduce all the characters in JL, have them rub shoulders with Batman and Superman, then branch out franchises from that. Flip the script on Marvel's model. It could have the "Hulk effect" on characters like Flash, Wonder Woman or GL. Characters I doubt WB has any faith in at the moment for solo ventures.

They will make it, that's a guarantee. They would be foolish not to. It's WB's way out of continuing to play the Batman tune. Introduce all the characters in JL, have them rub shoulders with Batman and Superman, then branch out franchises from that. Flip the script on Marvel's model. It could have the "Hulk effect" on characters like Flash, Wonder Woman or GL. Characters I doubt WB has any faith in at the moment for solo ventures.

I think it could happen if The Avengers crosses the 1 billion milestone, but as of now I don't think it's a guarantee that they'd make any movie outside Batman and Superman, especially after GL's spectacular failure at the box office.

The WB own all of DC's characters, right? A movie company? Hell, one of the oldest movie companies in existence...they should be cranking out successful superhero movies (BESIDES Batman) left and right.

I think Marvel has shown that all is needed is the right scriptwriter, director, and actors, and even B list characters can soon join the A-Team.

This is the direction I'm hoping to see. :up:

I think it could happen if The Avengers crosses the 1 billion milestone, but as of now I don't think it's a guarantee that they'd make any movie outside Batman and Superman, especially after GL's spectacular failure at the box office.

I think the Avengers is pretty much a given that it will cross 1 billion even at this early stage.

You are right about GL, but a year ago the prospects of another Hulk film was dire. Now you put him in a team setting and he pretty much steals the show. A future Hulk movie suddenly isn't so dire. It could be the same with JL for GL, Flash or WW. Although I'm sure they wouldn't want to copy the Avengers, so they'll make the flim like an Alex Ross cover with each member of the league with their arms crossed and stern looks on their faces. It would be harder for a character to stand out this way imo.

Last edited:
Well lets hold out from the "eat it Avengers haters" comments until we see what the 2nd weekend does. I don't want to see them gloat or say I told you so. I've seen these film drop like bricks the 2nd week and you be like "WTF, i was sure this was gonna make 400 mil domestically" Yeah I've done that, especially with X2 and it dropped big time.

X2 dropped big because of TMR.

Warners fail because they don't know how to deal with these characters from a translation standpoint. The Avengers and JLA are different type of teams. I don't want to see WB try and make a JL film based on the way the Avengers was made. I don't want to see the JLA coming in fighting each other first or having a lot of comedic moments like Avengers. These are characters with personalities and they should be treated as such. I don't think WB gets it. Marvel's not been perfect either but they have done a heck of a lot better then WB has by a mile.

The WB own all of DC's characters, right? A movie company? Hell, one of the oldest movie companies in existence...they should be cranking out successful superhero movies (BESIDES Batman) left and right.

I think Marvel has shown that all is needed is the right scriptwriter, director, and actors, and even B list characters can soon join the A-Team.

Yeah, now Marvel added more characters to their A-list.

Speaking of the JLA movie, doesn't WB lose the movie rights for Supes in like 2 years because of the law suit?

I don't know if this would be a wise move for DC. In my opinion,The Avengers owes a lot of it's succes to the previous movies. The succes of movies such as iron Man, Thor Cap etc showed that marvel had succeded in making people like these characters. Of course, The Avengers movie on it's own would still be a great movie, but the succes of the previous movies adds to the impact. This has been building for years...and even the general audience who has no comic knowledge knows where all these movies would eventually lead to.

All of these factors contributes to the Avengers succes.

In my opinion, DC already missed the boat. If they were to make a JLA movie NOW, As things are right now in the DC movie verse, it would not have had the same impact/succes as The avengers simply because the foundation just isn't there.

Also things to consider in my opinion, People love the CURRENT version of Batman, and we still don't know if there's going to be a follow up to MOS ( at least I don't know).if they were to make a JLA movie, it would be with the new version of Batman and possibly new Superman too, and i's still remain to be seen wheter the new version will be succesfull or as accepted as the old ones...

So..in short..it's complicated. There's a good chance that it wouldn't work...at least in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"