BvS The Batsuit Thread - - - - - - - - - - Part 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed grapnel + gliding combo seems best way to go.

Batman rope swinging through the city like Tarzan or Spiderman would just look weird in live action.

Would be so cool to see this in the DCEU.

xR07ymD.jpg

We definitely got it in the Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy particular in the film The Dark Knight
tumblr_nehkacgoYO1rrkahjo1_500.gif

Yeah. Honestly, I seem to remember thinking the gliding in Arkham Asylum was just taken from Batman Begins. Before Batman Begins...Batman gliding was restricted to add-on equipment. He used a literal hand glider in Year One, and in Batman Returns it seemed like a one off thing.

There was a spot in one of the BvS trailers where it seemed like Bats is going to rely on his grapnel gun for mobility more than any of the other films before. In the comics, Batman manages to swing around with the grapnel quite a bit. Look at the rooftop chase he had with Catwoman in Batman: Hush, for example.

I first encountered the combo in the Batman anime DTV. I thought it looked cool there.

Yeah. Honestly, I seem to remember thinking the gliding in Arkham Asylum was just taken from Batman Begins. Before Batman Begins...Batman gliding was restricted to add-on equipment. He used a literal hand glider in Year One, and in Batman Returns it seemed like a one off thing.

There was a spot in one of the BvS trailers where it seemed like Bats is going to rely on his grapnel gun for mobility more than any of the other films before. In the comics, Batman manages to swing around with the grapnel quite a bit. Look at the rooftop chase he had with Catwoman in Batman: Hush, for example.

I think some people underestimate just how much the Arkham games were inspired by the Nolan trilogy.

His cape worked the same in BR as it did in TDKT, it just didn't look nearly as good, because the movie was made in the 90's.

I think some people underestimate just how much the Arkham games were inspired by the Nolan trilogy.

To be fair, it's arguable that even fewer people recognize just how much Nolan's trilogy was inspired by the comics. To this day, he gets credit for several ideas that were actually the brainchild of lesser-known writers.

His cape worked the same in BR as it did in TDKT, it just didn't look nearly as good, because the movie was made in the 90's.

It was a similar premise but far from the same.

In BR he fully attached this glider type device to his back

23jstuh.jpg

The Begins/TDK Batman used his regular cape to glide and it was fully explained how that process works in Begins.

The BR glider seems to be based somewhat on the glider Batman sometimes had

batman.jpg

To be fair, it's arguable that even fewer people recognize just how much Nolan's trilogy was inspired by the comics. To this day, he gets credit for several ideas that were actually the brainchild of lesser-known writers.

He also gets torn to shreds (here) for adding "inaccurate" things... based on stuff that actually was from the comics ie Bruce wanting to retire, a normal looking Gotham etc.

23jstuh.jpg

The Begins/TDK Batman used his regular cape to glide and it was fully explained how that process works in Begins.

The BR glider seems to be based somewhat on the glider Batman sometimes had

batman.jpg

In the universe of BR it's supposed to work like Trav said-- His cape turns into the glider, it's not a separate thing. It's just hamstrung by the technology of the time. If you look closely, you can see the cape detach and drop away when the wings pops out.

23jstuh.jpg

The film never indicates the cape ever changed units, did it? The shot preceding your picture had the regular batsuit walking towards the rooftop edge. Later on when he lands, he barrel rolls and the cape is back into its normal fluid shape again. Someone may have to correct me on that last part, it's been a while. I'm certain of the initial scene though.

what was weird for me is that when i saw BB I thought the gliding was something he always did. I had memories of him doing it in BTAS and in the 89 film. Went back and watched them after people said BB was the first time and saw I was wrong. Somehow I had gone my whole life thinking he did this all the time. Man if I directed the movie, I could have been credited with coming up with it!

The film never indicates the cape ever changed units, did it? The shot preceding your picture had the regular batsuit walking towards the rooftop edge. Later on when he lands, he barrel rolls and the cape is back into its normal fluid shape again. Someone may have to correct me on that last part, it's been a while. I'm certain of the initial scene though.
Yup, just checked that scene again and you're right on both fronts.

He also gets torn to shreds (here) for adding "inaccurate" things... based on stuff that actually was from the comics ie Bruce wanting to retire, a normal looking Gotham etc.

It's one thing to have him consider quitting, but another to make him go through with it. Internal conflict is certainly nothing new to Batman; the tragedy, however, is that he just won't let himself walk away. He tells himself that it's because The Batman will always be needed, but the truth behind his compulsion is much more psychologically complex.

In BR, it seemed like a one-off thing, kind of like when the batmobile's halves split off and squeezed through that one-in-a-million narrow alleyway. What is weird, is that I don't recall anyone else ever taking that idea and running with it anywhere else until Batman Begins, and then Arkham Asylum. But, maybe most people were comfortable enough with the idea of Batman swinging around Gotham with his grapnel gun?

With Batman Begins...I think it showed us all that it should be a given. All Nolan did was give us an explainable reason why, but yeah- looking back it's kinda crazy that Batman hadn't been using it as a regular use of travel around the city in some fashion before then. His primary form of mobility, aside from the batmobile, had pretty much pre-parkour and his grapnel gun.

But, maybe like some of you pointed out, I guess it's all been hamstrung by the times. Batman Begins made the BR glider with far less weight (that thing looks heavy as hell), less space (he really seemed to need to have a lot of open space for it to open up) and less time (in BB, the cape stiffens in a second, whereas in BR it's a whole sequence).

It reminds me of something Denny O'Neil said about how Batman, more than any other fictional character, doesn't actually belong to anyone because every idea, every concept, every facet is re-explored and someone eventually takes something and re-iterates it in some fashion that moves the character forward in some way. For example, I think it would be strange if Batman didn't have the ability to glide with his cape in BvS. Even if he doesn't glide around the city, to atleast use to to soften a landing to drop from a high level to ground.

We just had a trilogy worth of gliding.

I welcome back the grapnel gun with open arms.

In BR, it seemed like a one-off thing, kind of like when the batmobile's halves split off and squeezed through that one-in-a-million narrow alleyway. What is weird, is that I don't recall anyone else ever taking that idea and running with it anywhere else until Batman Begins, and then Arkham Asylum. But, maybe most people were comfortable enough with the idea of Batman swinging around Gotham with his grapnel gun?

With Batman Begins...I think it showed us all that it should be a given. All Nolan did was give us an explainable reason why, but yeah- looking back it's kinda crazy that Batman hadn't been using it as a regular use of travel around the city in some fashion before then. His primary form of mobility, aside from the batmobile, had pretty much pre-parkour and his grapnel gun.

But, maybe like some of you pointed out, I guess it's all been hamstrung by the times. Batman Begins made the BR glider with far less weight (that thing looks heavy as hell), less space (he really seemed to need to have a lot of open space for it to open up) and less time (in BB, the cape stiffens in a second, whereas in BR it's a whole sequence).

It reminds me of something Denny O'Neil said about how Batman, more than any other fictional character, doesn't actually belong to anyone because every idea, every concept, every facet is re-explored and someone eventually takes something and re-iterates it in some fashion that moves the character forward in some way. For example, I think it would be strange if Batman didn't have the ability to glide with his cape in BvS. Even if he doesn't glide around the city, to atleast use to to soften a landing to drop from a high level to ground.

I agree with so much of this.

And just think---even the grappling gun wasn't a thing until the 80's. Before that, he swung around on a rope tied to a Batarang. It's strange to think about now, just like its strange that all Batman would need to do to get around Gotham is run across rooftops and grapple around. A glider, Batmobile, or Batwing would just be more efficient.

Eh, I don't know if I need him gliding around. But, it'd feel like a needless loss off an ability. In a funny way, every Batman post-Nolan can have the ability to glide around the city, or just glide down to the street from a building, and I don't think anyone would ever wonder why or ask questions.

It's why I've never heard anyone ask or wonder why Batman can do it in the Akrham games. Rocksteady or WB Montreal never even needed to explain it, just felt like another tool in his widely accepted arsenal (like his grapnel gun).

I still disagree about the glider being a "one off" in BR. You see his cape form back to normal when he does the roll out. Again, it just looked crude in comparison to Nolan's, due to the technology of the time.

If they do the grapnel route, I'm curious how it'll be depicted on the big-screen. Contrary to the perception of a skyline, skyscrapers are very far apart and almost never the same height. Swinging around doesn't make much of a practical sense unless you're Spidey.

This is one of the few times where I hope Snyder does actually go the CG route and be inventive with how the scenery will always conveniently suit Batman's mode of transportation.

I agree with so much of this.

And just think---even the grappling gun wasn't a thing until the 80's. Before that, he swung around on a rope tied to a Batarang. It's strange to think about now, just like its strange that all Batman would need to do to get around Gotham is run across rooftops and grapple around. A glider, Batmobile, or Batwing would just be more efficient.

Oh man, I completely forgot about that. The batarang with a rope tied to it. You're right, the grapnel gun didn't really become a thing until the 80's, B89 probably had something to do with. The earliest places I remember him using it was the Burton films and the Animated Series.

I do remember him just tossing that batarang with rope in the comics as a way to get around the city.

The cape must glide. It doesn't make sense any other way. It's not even for "distraction" as the super heavy leather would not work moving with the wind deforming Baths silhouette (the original explanation I think).

^ Why not both? Gliding for long distances, and grappling for short ones? Didn't hurt the Arkham games.

Maybe he will use it like in Dark Knight Returns where it's more of a parachute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"