The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
BP and CRA had the benefit of being cultural significant and bringing us something new. After Aquaman, what will Namor bring?

Same thing Captain Marvel will bring post Wonder Woman, I guess.

I wonder if, particularly in light of the UK law, Disney said something like: "We'll authorize Fox to sell you their portion of Sky if you promise, in good faith, to discuss selling us Hulu and other assets once the dust has settled."

They might end up with a weaker bargaining position that way, but if they're willing to pay a fair price, Comcast would probably be interested in discussing it at some later date.

I doubt it even came to that to be honest. If Fox didn't tender today or tomorrow they risked getting less money for their shares. But even if that did happen, a good faith agreement can be walked out of at any time. We are back to square one regarding those rights IMO.

Same thing Captain Marvel will bring post Wonder Woman, I guess.

I doubt it even came to that to be honest. If Fox didn't tender today or tomorrow they risked getting less money for their shares. But even if that did happen, a good faith agreement can be walked out of at any time. We are back to square one regarding those rights IMO.

So what is happening? Are Hulk and Namor rights and Universal theme park rights not on the table at all?

So what is happening? Are Hulk and Namor rights and Universal theme park rights not on the table at all?

Nope. Fox tendered their shares with Disney's blessings. That's it. No meetings between the parties as far as we know.

BP and CRA had the benefit of being cultural significant and bringing us something new. After Aquaman, what will Namor bring?

They were perceived as culturally significant, but they weren't really. First black super hero movie? Nope not even first in marvel. First female led superhero movie? Nope not even first in dc. If you include directors then maybe. But these aren't some huge steps forward culturally. These steps have already been made just seem to be forgotten.

Do you think Comcast wants a minority share of Hulu once Disney acquires the clear controlling interest? I think that's the big question. If they're not interested in being a silent partner after Disney takes over (and if they want some cash to cover their Sky purchase), they might be motivated to deal.

Nope. Fox tendered their shares with Disney's blessings. That's it. No meetings between the parties as far as we know.

So how can Disney get back those rights now, if ever? You'd think that Marvel would want those back. Did it not even cross their minds?

Before, when the battle for who would own Fox was going on, Comcast said that they would've sold off certain assets to Disney, including part of the film division. Maybe they will still be willing to sell off things like the Universal theme park rights and Hulk and Namor. What need to they have for them?

And there's nothing about Dreamworks distribution rights at all?

Did Fox act too hastily?

Do you think Comcast wants a minority share of Hulu once Disney acquires the clear controlling interest? I think that's the big question. If they're not interested in being a silent partner after Disney takes over (and if they want some cash to cover their Sky purchase), they might be motivated to deal.

Hulu apparently has weird ownership rules. Apparently they require unanimous board decision on things like content and strategy. That's why Hulu has struggled so much.

Hulu’s Fate Hinges on Outcome of Fox Bidding War

"The loser between Disney and Comcast, each of whom also own 30% of Hulu, will be a large minority owner, which could lead to tense moments in discussions over the streaming service's financing and content. The minority player will wield some power on the board, because Hulu has depended on its corporate parents to supply prime-time network programming and finance a business with increasing losses that totaled $920 million last year

The controlling and minority partners will still have to agree on how much money to spend on original programming and its live TV-streaming service and whether to expand overseas to keep up with Netflix Inc."

The wording from Disney today was also telling.

"Disney will expand its considerable investment in the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer offering launching in late 2019 and the new ESPN+ sports streaming service" - That suggests they are doing it.

"and will seek to increase investment in Hulu's content offerings and international distribution." - That suggests they will seek to do those things either by convincing or buying out Comcast's share because right now Comcast can block it.

So yeah, I can see Comcast wanting to keep it since they won't be a silent partner and can make life difficult for Disney. For example, Hulu's board goes "Let's expand to EU, starting with the UK". You'll get 3 nays right away and that puts an end to those plans.

So how can Disney get back those rights now, if ever? You'd think that Marvel would want those back. Did it not even cross their minds?

Before, when the battle for who would own Fox was going on, Comcast said that they would've sold off certain assets to Disney, including part of the film division. Maybe they will still be willing to sell off things like the Universal theme park rights and Hulk and Namor. What need to they have for them?

Did Fox act too hastily?

As I mentioned earlier, Fox had to tender by tomorrow or risk getting less money. Furthermore they couldn't do a tit for tat if they wanted to because of UK laws.

Fox, Acting on Behalf of Disney, Sells Its Stake in Sky to Comcast

But British takeover laws forbid that any deal involving Hulu being contingent on a tit-for-tat maneuver involving Sky. So a transaction for Hulu would have to be made independently.

Any trade will have to be done separately.

Did Fox act too hastily?

As long as Disney is willing to write a big enough check, they can get the rights, but it's probably hard to justify to upper management why they should write a big check when they can already use Hulk. And there has been some speculation that Namor's unique complications (as mentioned by Kevin Feige at one point) have to do with his staus as a "mutant" - which gives Fox a partial claim on him. If that's true, once Disney owns Fox, Marvel could theoretically begin using Namor like they do Hulk and then the only reason to get the rights from Comcast would be to satisfy an OCD urge to have everything completely.

Hulu apparently has weird ownership rules. Apparently they require unanimous board decision on things like content and strategy. That's why Hulu has struggled so much.

Hulu’s Fate Hinges on Outcome of Fox Bidding War

The wording from Disney today was also telling.

"Disney will expand its considerable investment in the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer offering launching in late 2019 and the new ESPN+ sports streaming service" - That suggests they are doing it.

"and will seek to increase investment in Hulu's content offerings and international distribution." - That suggests they will seek to do those things either by convincing or buying out Comcast's share because right now Comcast can block it.

So yeah, I can see Comcast wanting to keep it since they won't be a silent partner and can make life difficult for Disney. For example, Hulu's board goes "Let's expand to EU, starting with the UK". You'll get 3 nays right away and that puts an end to those plans.

:up: That certainly provides some key context.

As long as Disney is willing to write a big enough check, they can get the rights, but it's probably hard to justify to upper management why they should write a big check when they can already use Hulk. And there has been some speculation that Namor's unique complications (as mentioned by Kevin Feige at one point) have to do with his staus as a "mutant" - which gives Fox a partial claim on him. If that's true, once Disney owns Fox, Marvel could theoretically begin using Namor like they do Hulk and then the only reason to get the rights from Comcast would be to satisfy an OCD urge to have everything completely.

Feige needs to be the man with the OCD. Have everything under one banner. He should sit in his office all day like this thinking about all the rights he doesn't own:

5aIM.gif

Feige needs to be the man with the OCD. Have everything under one banner. He should sit in his office all day like this thinking about all the rights he doesn't own:

5aIM.gif

:funny: I never get tired of looking at that GIF.

The internal scream is very real.

How is Disney allowed to tell Fox to sell its share of sky? I thought it had to be buisness as usual till the deal closes? But it seems Disney and Fox are already communicating which I thought wasnt allowed?

How is Disney allowed to tell Fox to sell its share of sky? I thought it had to be buisness as usual till the deal closes? But it seems Disney and Fox are already communicating which I thought wasnt allowed?

Any divestment or acquisition of more shares of Sky required Disney's blessing. The reason for that is because any movement there would change the dynamics of what Disney and Fox agreed on, so the acquirer had to give permission.

I believe the Namor, Hulk and amusement park rights will be worked out after the FOX acquisition is final. Comcast wants all of Dreamworks Animation, plus a few of those FOX RSNs.

I believe the Namor, Hulk and amusement park rights will be worked out after the FOX acquisition is final. Comcast wants all of Dreamworks Animation, plus a few of those FOX RSNs.

They better. As long as Disney get all the Marvel rights back, then it doesn't matter what they're in exchange for ultimately.

Wait are they really using properties like namor and hulk as bargaining chips or is this just pure fan speculation

Just going back to Venom success vs failure. wouldnt it be better if it was a success then sony would feel confident moving forward without spiderman?

Well, the Dark Phoenix trailer was just released. Eh. As mentioned, I had no interest in this movie and the trailer didn't persuade me. Then again, because of the FOX/Disney acquisition, this movie seems pointless to me. In any case, the trailer makes it seem like Jean Grey is an alien or something. I dunno, that's just what I got.

I liked the trailer at least the cast are putting in some effort this time. Probably cause its their last one. Even JL doesnt look like shes phoning it in. Fassbender and Mcavoy look good. Action looks solid for Kinbergs debut. Im kinda worried about Jessica Chastine. she seems to really be hamming it up.

Dark Phoenix saga doesn’t work early into the X-Men’s career, imo. It doesn’t look like the worst thing ever but it doesn’t look that good either. I feel it’s too early to do the Dark Phoenix saga on film again. That’s clearly a storyline that’s best served after you’ve gotten to know the characters after three films or more films.

Instead of rehashing this storyline they should’ve gone for something fresh and new for this film. I get Kinberg wants to makeup for his failure do the storyline right in Last Stand but I think he’s just retreading old ground.

Something to add: I completely forgot this movie is set in the 90s. It didn't have a scene that sets that up, like what Captain Marvel did with Blockbuster. To that I ask why this movie is set in the 90s? Why not just set it in the 80s again so I don't question why no one has aged in a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"