The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 143

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's definitely up there as one of the stupidest. I've no problem with Batman's identity being discovered, if it's done in a somewhat credible way, like how Mr. Reese did it. But knowing Wayne is Batman simply from a look on his face is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

I don't see how some can't just get to the point that Blake and Bruce have something very much in common that is rare: they witnessed one or both of their parents being gunned down. Knowing that feeling and seeing that in Wayne isn't stupid at all, imo.

Everything Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises in 3 Minutes or Less:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2tE-BCwZtw

So dumb.

Seriously, the DC logo being something that's wrong? The video loses all credibility once that appears.

What are the top 5 high points of TDKR & so called ''low points'' of the film? I say it like that because not everyone has them.

High points:

1.) The Ending
2.) The Climb
3.) Batman's Return
4.) Bane Breaks the Bat
5.) The "Return" of Ra's al Ghul

Low points:

1.) Batman's return isn't much of a big deal once he returns(one little shot of Batman being on the front page of The Gotham Times...and then nothing. The most troubling problem I have with TDKR).
2.) Jen was a very watered-down Holly.
3.) The war wasn't long enough.
4.) No conclusion to "Judge" Crane in the film.
5.) Characters like Coleman Reese or Detective Stephens didn't return.

I can't imagine there was many pro-Batman activists after they were told Batman killed all those people including Harvey Dent.

Anyway I'd say Reese left Gotham A.S.A.P. after Joker made half the city try and kill him for even trying to spill Batman's secret in the first place. Though it makes you wonder why the authorities didn't squeeze him for that info after Batman became a fugitive.

Blake told Bruce that Gordon didn't care who Batman was and him being the Commissioner, there would be no way the police would bother to question Reese if Gordon didn't want them to question him.

Last edited:
I don't see how some can't just get to the point that Blake and Bruce have something very much in common that is rare: they witnessed one or both of their parents being gunned down. Knowing that feeling and seeing that in Wayne isn't stupid at all, imo.
What's contrived is him being the only orphan to "connect" to Bruce in a place full of orphans, and with this being Gotham, I'm sure a sizable sample of them had their parents forcefully taken from them as well. So why was he the one to connect above everyone else? Because he is a character in the movie? That is lazy writing.

Because he's the one orphan out of the all the possible ones?

My low point is the short sentencing for Gordon and crew; that would have been a good scene to see how the people felt about his lie.

The second that Blake started his little speech, I just knew it would turn out bad. That look he was giving Bruce, I could just see it in his face. I mean, JGL might not know it, but I've seen bad speeches before. It's just one of those lines in a movie that, you know, deep down you can tell how horrible its going to turn out. I could feel it in my bones and stuff....
Speaking of which (and yet, not :funny: ), I was actually really impressed with how they lit JGL's face when he tells the story. Usually he looks quite young, but the way the light shone on his left eye, aged him about 10 years. And then the right side of his face still looked pretty youthful. It was a very interesting contrast, and alluded that losing one's parents violently is something painful that they share, and that both men, despite still being young (40 is really not that old), have lived several lifetimes of trauma because of what they've experienced.

No, I did not think the scene was lame. I was too busy being impressed at the lighting. :oldrazz:

It's also quite possible that most of other orphans in the boy's home (or even all of them besides Blake) lost their parents in non-criminal means. Car accidents or medical issues and the like. Or they were too young to remember.

What's contrived is him being the only orphan to "connect" to Bruce in a place full of orphans, and with this being Gotham, I'm sure a sizable sample of them had their parents forcefully taken from them as well. So why was he the one to connect above everyone else? Because he is a character in the movie? That is lazy writing.

Of course it's lazy writing if you believe a lot of the orphans had parents that were gunned down as you seem to believe.

Some like explain things that Bruce does that otherwise would be hard to fathom as him being "The Goddamn Batman". Although I completely agree that Blake's speech doesn't really give a good deductive reason for him figuring out Bruce's identity, I think it might be fair to say that he figured it out through inductive reasoning because he is "The Goddamn Robin".

Highs (besides everything):
-Prologue
-Batman's return
-First Batman vs Bane fight
-Bruce escaping the Pit
-The epilogue

Lows (Only two for me):
-Blake's explanation for knowing who Batman is
-Talia's death scene
Cool man, FYI my mother laughed during Talia's death scene. I did'nt but sometimes I think is it just me thats wrong or everyone else. But then again its just interesting to find out what others think. That's why we're here. Thanks man.

Remember the scene when Bruce and Fox go back to the bunker to retrieve his Batsuit and other gadgets? I always wonder if the shot of the Batsuit rising up is freshly shot for Rises or if Nolan reused a shot from TDK. It's silly I know. Why wouldn't Nolan shoot that scene anew if he was using the set again in the first place? It's not like it would be expensive to film that single shot enough to strain the budget or anything. And yet, I dunno, it's the specific color temperature of the shot that recalls TDK to me.

I actually wondered the same thing. If I'm not mistaken, the TDK prologue sizzle reel as a very similar shot of the suit rising in the bunker, which was unused in TDK.

Too lazy to further investigate, haha.

Cool man, FYI my mother laughed during Talia's death scene. I did'nt but sometimes I think is it just me thats wrong or everyone else. But then again its just interesting to find out what others think. That's why we're here. Thanks man.

I don't think the death scene is as bad as some say but it's definitely the weakest part of the film.

So dumb.

Seriously, the DC logo being something that's wrong? The video loses all credibility once that appears.

High points:

1.) The Ending
2.) The Climb
3.) Batman's Return
4.) Bane Breaks the Bat
5.) The "Return" of Ra's al Ghul

Low points:

1.) Batman's return isn't much of a big deal once he returns(one little shot of Batman being on the front page of The Gotham Times...and then nothing. The most troubling problem I have with TDKR).
2.) Jen was a very watered-down Holly.
3.) The war wasn't long enough.
4.) No conclusion to "Judge" Crane in the film.
5.) Characters like Coleman Reese or Detective Stephens didn't return.

Blake told Bruce that Gordon didn't care who Batman was and him being the Commissioner, there would be no way the police would bother to question Reese if Gordon didn't want them to question him.
Yeah we know Batman's big return involve a massive police chase with heaps of cop cars and a helicopter plus tv news cover while the chase was happening. The paper would of had a bigger spread inside it but it does'nt matter. What more could they have done? All the main characters knew he returned.

I don't think the death scene is as bad as some say but it's definitely the weakest part of the film.

I like to think she's faking her death and escapes while Batman takes care of the bomb.

Bring on Damian Wayne! He could get Bruce back in the cowl :D

I still cheer for this scene.

[YT]DTv5JNfU0Hw[/YT]

The second that Blake started his little speech, I just knew it would turn out bad. That look he was giving Bruce, I could just see it in his face. I mean, JGL might not know it, but I've seen bad speeches before. It's just one of those lines in a movie that, you know, deep down you can tell how horrible its going to turn out. I could feel it in my bones and stuff....

:funny: :hrt:

It would have been better if Bruce realized not to use the safety rope on his own. I don't know why the old man didn't just tell him the first time.

I found Blake's discovery of Bruce's identity lazy writing too but for some reason, Nolan made TDKR's Bruce Wayne (who he stresses as paranoid BTW!) suddenly dropping breadcrumbs about his double identity left and right which I just found downright odd. :oldrazz: He didn't deny that he's Batman to some cop that he just met, he was talking about his "powerful friend" (and later proved who it was when he brought "Bruce Wayne" up to her when he's dressed as Batman) to a woman who just stole from him, and he and Fox were talking about "getting back to the game" in front of Miranda Tate.

I found Blake's discovery of Bruce's identity lazy writing too but for some reason, Nolan made TDKR's Bruce Wayne (who he stresses as paranoid BTW!) suddenly dropping breadcrumbs about his double identity left and right which I just found downright odd. :oldrazz: He didn't deny that he's Batman to some cop that he just met, he was talking about his "powerful friend" (and later proved who it was when he brought "Bruce Wayne" up to her when he's dressed as Batman) to a woman who just stole from him, and he and Fox were talking about "getting back to the game" in front of Miranda Tate.
She was hot. :o And throughout the movie, he was trying to push her into bettering her life and dropped hints to show he wasn't all he appeared to be. He respected that she had extraordinary abilities like he did, and wasn't a typical criminal who relied on guns or goons.

And to be fair, in BB and TDK, Batman was never needed to "help out" Bruce Wayne.

Because he sensed the "connection" yo.
He was probably also taken aback that a rookie cop would barge into Wayne Manor threatening to get a warrant for Dent's murder. :funny:

It would have been better if Bruce realized not to use the safety rope on his own. I don't know why the old man didn't just tell him the first time.

Naw, why tell him that the first time? There was no way he could have made it his first jump. Him failing time and time again was great. Bruce had to realize that the jump was impossible with the rope. Why would he have thought without the rope is the only way. Once he realized that a child made it out without the rope then he was able to believe in himself

Yeah we know Batman's big return involve a massive police chase with heaps of cop cars and a helicopter plus tv news cover while the chase was happening. The paper would of had a bigger spread inside it but it does'nt matter. What more could they have done? All the main characters knew he returned.

You're talking about something that happened the entire night. Nothing is really shown to celebrate/condemn/discuss Batman's return the very next day. At least in Batman Begins, this arrival of this bat character is intertwined with scenes. Not a blurp of Batman's return at all the following day.

It's Gotham.

What reasoning is this? Especially with the crime rate being at an all time low which would cause for less parents getting killed by thugs/mobs/debt collectors/etc.

[YT]DTv5JNfU0Hw[/YT]

:up:

I want to meet the Batman fan who didn't love that scene.

What reasoning is this? Especially with the crime rate being at an all time low which would cause for less parents getting killed by thugs/mobs/debt collectors/etc.
Blake wasn't born within the eight year time gap. Blake was born when Gotham was a hellhole, as were his orphan peers. The point is that there had to have been other orphans who lost there parents by murder, but why is it that only he figured out Wayne was Batman?

Answer: he felt the "connection" yo.

[YT]DTv5JNfU0Hw[/YT]

Phoenix, Arizona. Midnight Showing at the IMAX down here in Tempe. This scene got a standing ovation, full of applause, cheers, and tears. :hrt:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"