The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 146

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, what I'm about to say can't apply to everyone with that complaint, because some people just have different tastes. But I have a hunch that at least for a lot of critics (Baby boomers and Gen X'ers), the reason for this is simply because comics were a medium for children when they were growing up. It's something they remember from their childhood and they look to comic book films to adhere to that sense of innocence and nostalgia. Even though Batman has roots as a darker character, the Batman they grew up reading was nowhere near the hardcore and cynical Batman of the 80s. But, seeing as I was born in the 80s...that's the Batman I've always been accustomed to. If I were to sum it up, I think Nolan's Bat-films were a great blend of 70s and 80s Batman. There was darkness, there was cynicism, there were truly scary villains and weighty themes, but at the same time Batman remained a truly heroic figure with altruistic intentions. And I also want to just point out that despite the Schumacher years, Burton's Batman did wonders to change the mainstream palette when it comes to Batman. Burton set the precedent for a darker version of the character in the movies, then Nolan took that precedent and ran with it. There needed to be that progression, I feel. I don't know if the mainstream would have been ready for something like The Dark Knight in 1989.

There probably are a lot of the older generations who do feel that way but based on my own personal experience, the people that often made such statements were often not that old compared to me (I'm an early 90's kid btw). Most of them grew up during the 80's and 90's. Once again though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with not liking TDK because of its serious nature and wanting something more lighthearted. My main problem is when people try to pass their personal taste in Batman as an objective criticism towards the Nolan films. I've never personally cared for the campy style of the Adam West show but I still respect the show for what it is and understand that it is purely a taste thing for me (though to be fair to both sides, not everyone does).

I don't feel the Nolan films can really be summed up to a specific era. The way I always summed them up is by their main components. I think there are 3 major components from the comics that contributed to making the Nolan films what they are:
1) The realistic crime drama setting and feel of comics in the late 70's, 80's, and early 90's
2) The Year One/Early-Career Batman stories.
3) The complex political themes found in Frank Miller's books (specifically in The Dark Knight Returns)

Even with all this attention on Superman at the moment, I don't think he'll ever fully reclaim "the throne", so to speak. Yes, he will see a healthy spike in popularity, which is awesome...and he should get the attention he deserves.

Sure, Supes came first and paved the way, but Batman (as a character through the years) perfected what it means to be a hero. He's infinitely more interesting, IMO, both visually and psychologically. And, to boot, his rogues gallery ****s on Superman's. So yeah, I'm happy Supes is back in the spotlight...but he only has a few more years to "reign" until the Batman makes his triumphant return.

To an extent, I do agree with this. It will be extremely difficult - dare I say near impossible - for any superhero to take the throne from Batman, assuming that the quality of his products doesn't slip up.

Batman has one advantage over all superheroes, which is his universe. The Batman side of the DC universe is so fantastic that even if one was to hate Batman as a character, he or she would still tune in to Batman stories due to everything else - the villains, the supporting cast, Gotham as a whole, etc.

His fantastic rogues' gallery alone is able to attract so many people and it is no coincidence that a lot of the Batman films we've had up until now were mainly marketed on the villains. I'm sure you've heard the saying "A hero is only as interesting as his villains".

This has created an almost invincible barrier for Batman that no other superhero can break. Even Spider-Man, who in my opinion has the best pocket universe right after Batman's, still doesn't have a universe on the same level.

I love TDKR and always will. :)

And this as a full fold-out poster.

wanted_full.jpg

Agree :up:

It's funny, because even with the underwhelming viral campaign that TDKR had, it has the best ideas that could be included in a collection set of TDKTrilogy. The info of the Dent Act that Mayor Garcia just signed and this wanted poster of The Batman. Even when TDK's viral campaign was amazing, nothing in that could really be shared for a collection set except for maybe a "I Believe in Harvey Dent" button.

I don't feel the Nolan films can really be summed up to a specific era. The way I always summed them up is by their main components. I think there are 3 major components from the comics that contributed to making the Nolan films what they are:
1) The realistic crime drama setting and feel of comics in the late 70's, 80's, and early 90's
2) The Year One/Early-Career Batman stories.
3) The complex political themes found in Frank Miller's books (specifically in The Dark Knight Returns)

I read somewhere where someone talked about "specific" eras for each of the three films in Nolan's trilogy, but I can't seem to remember where I saw it except that it was very well thought out. I'm gonna try my hardest to find it because it made A LOT of sense that didn't come out as offending any film, even TDKR. It really complimented each film of the trilogy and seemed accurate.

I love TDKR and always will. :)

Agreed. TDKR will always be my favorite of the trilogy.

What a tease that great Wanted poster is.

Ah, what TDKR could have been. :csad:

If TDKR was any better than it was already...my pants would have been destroyed right there at the theatre.

NGL I can't help but imagine what it could've been if it was a two parter (or at least had an additional 30 mins or so) or certain characters were removed to allow the rest to have more development. It really had the components of the best of both BB and TDK.

I loved TDKR but would love an extended cut. A great intermission point would have been when the street lights go out and the screen fades to black as Robin drives Gordon to safety.

Then part two begins with Bane's amazing speech outside of the prison.

I loved TDKR but would love an extended cut. A great intermission point would have been when the street lights go out and the screen fades to black as Robin drives Gordon to safety.

Then part two begins with Bane's amazing speech outside of the prison.

I'm of the opinion that a great intermission point would have been at the point Bane says "Gotham, will survive" as it shows the bomb counting down and the slamming of the truck doors coinciding with a jump to black and then a moment later "INTERMISSION" in the white title font fading in with a light reprisal of Zimmer's Bane themes playing softly.

I would not mind a two parter TDKRises, or even a longer single film(or an intermission since we're dealing with IMAX), but what we received, I enjoyed it. It went straight to the point, and in doing so it doesn't focus on certain moments that could have been focused on(Batman's first return in the film), but I wouldn't say that it hurt the film at all. And I never had a huge problem with Bane's siege to begin with, so I'll always say what we got was fine.

Also, has this been shared before? Saw it last night on some article I was reading about TDKTrilogy:

182687_10151428554258866_919228483_n.jpg

Last edited:
I saw something like that in GIF form at Tumblr. It was beautiful. :hrt:

ETA: I can't find the one from the entire trilogy but I found the one just for TDKR:

tumblr_mdk318tMpc1rogb13o1_r3_250.gif
tumblr_mdk318tMpc1rogb13o2_r3_250.gif
tumblr_mdk318tMpc1rogb13o3_r2_250.gif

tumblr_mdk318tMpc1rogb13o4_r2_250.gif
tumblr_mdk318tMpc1rogb13o5_r3_250.gif
tumblr_mdk318tMpc1rogb13o6_r2_250.gif

tumblr_mdk318tMpc1rogb13o7_r2_250.gif
tumblr_mdk318tMpc1rogb13o8_r3_250.gif
tumblr_mdk318tMpc1rogb13o9_r2_250.gif

Last edited:
How can I buy the trilogy on the Apple store? Help anyone?

How can I buy the trilogy on the Apple store? Help anyone?

I don't think the boxset is available on the US itunes anymore... Unless your looking for the individual releases?

Nah, looking to buy it all at once. Otherwise it's like $45 to buy everything separate and that's without taxes...

For those with HBO, TDKR will premiere tomorrow at 7PM CST. :awesome:

I'm going to watch it again even if I already have the Blu Ray so I can't skip any of the scenes. It's been a long while since I watched it straight from beginning to end.

For those with HBO, TDKR will premiere tomorrow at 7PM CST. :awesome:

I'm going to watch it again even if I already have the Blu Ray so I can't skip any of the scenes. It's been a long while since I watched it straight from beginning to end.

After that Blake-centric second act; you will be begging for Bane's permission to die. :oldrazz:

I'm not sure how people skip through scenes even in movies they don't like. I just can't do that myself, even when I go back to rewatch The Room.

After that Blake-centric second act; you will be begging for Bane's permission to die. :oldrazz:

lol

John Blake :doh: why nolan, why?

this is the only film of the trilogy that I skip scenes. john blake scenes!

After seeing Man of Steel I can really say it was an honor having Nolan direct Batman and one day everyone will appreciate him for what he's really worth.

:hehe: :up:

After seeing Man of Steel I can really say it was an honor having Nolan direct Batman and one day everyone will appreciate him for what he's really worth.

On hindsight, I'm glad that the trilogy is going to be untouched by the future DC movies. Regardless of how one feels about each of the Nolan's Batmovies on their own, the entire trilogy will always be seen as a success critically and commercially and that's an amazing feat.

Man Of Steel was fantastic and I would still freak out if Bale was meshed into that world, but it's confirmed that a new Batman who is younger and more fitting for that type of world, will be in this MOS universe. So in a way it's nice to move on from TDK trilogy.

It's pretty amazing that Nolan was able to create a trilogy with a beginning, middle and end...his rules....and have it be so successful yet not letting Warner Brothers mix it with other superheroes or god-like elements. It really is closed off to everything around the Batman character. So I have to applaud Nolan for that.

Now it's time to get excited for a new Batman, hopefully the studio doesn't try to copy Nolan's formula. Hopefully it's something extremely different. That's the only way to truly honor Nolan's version without stepping on it.

The fact that Batman is enjoying a transient phase of popularity after the Nolan movies is meaningless to me. I have been a Batman fan since I was six, and I have never felt that I needed the validation of the faddish and half-baked enthusiasm of the masses. In a sense, the heightened popularity can be a negative thing, as it tends to lead to the product being directed at the lowest common denominator.

That may sound unduly negative, but it isn't meant to be. I am saying that Batman, Superman et al will continue to feature in great stories written by passionate people, regardless of the current whim of the 'general audience'.

I can't even remember how old I was when I become obsessed with Batman. Probably age 4 when I used sit in front of the TV to watch Batman 89 on VHS every day (it's where I learned my first curse words), then delving into the world of comics once I had learned to read well enough. I, too, don't care if Batman is the most popular comic book property or a dark horse series that only had a cult following. I'd still love the character and he would still be a huge part of my life.

Having said that, it is somewhat vindicating to see your favorite hero reach immense levels of popularity and acceptance. It feels good when something you love is so widely embraced. There's simply nothing wrong with that. I've never been one to have the mindset that when something goes mainstream, it's "uncool". Batman's role as one of the world's most recognizable pop culture icons is especially gratifying because, as a character, he truly deserves to hold that place in our lives. I honestly get so happy when I see a kid decked out in Batman gear at a young age, aspiring to be like their favorite hero, because I remember when I felt that way too. And that little boy in the Batman shirt has so many great things ahead of him: reading comics, rewatching/researching his favorite Batman movies at an older age, and learning the true depth of the character and what he really stands for.

There are more great comics to be drawn/written, more incredible stories to be told, and endless possibilities for Batman on film. It's comforting to know that Batman will literally be around forever, even after we're long gone.

Very true... I loved Man of Steel, but one thing it did was highlight just how gifted Nolan is as a filmmaker

I haven't seen Man of Steel yet (seeing it at 7 tonight) but why do you say that? Was there some stuff Snyder did that didn't work or something? Or are you not a fan of his visual style?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"