The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - Part 155

Status
Not open for further replies.

I never even noticed that lol. 3-D, Nolan hasn't touched it, and as far I know he has no intentions to either.

Cronenberg is just flat-out wrong about superhero movies. A lot of them are bad, sure, but writing off the whole genre is tremendously reductive. What's ironic is that many said the same kinds of things about the horror genre before Cronenberg and like-minded directors put their artistic stamp on it.

Exactly. I don't know what kind of logic dictates that because something at it's core was aimed at adolescents, that it can't reach high levels of cinematic art. I mean for goodness sake movies with adolescent cores have been doing that as far back as The Wizard of Oz in 1939. Heck even earlier than that with Disney. Cronenberg doesn't know what he's talking about.

We know plenty of notable directors, ones not associated with the CBM genre, who have called these movies, specifically the Nolan Batman movies, high art movies. From Spielberg, to the likes of Paul Thomas Anderson;

"I’ve never really been asked to do [big tentpole blockbusters]. You look at what Christopher Nolan did with Batman, that’s like the meeting of the highest level of artistic skill & a kind of commerciality and appeal to a wide range of people which is what anybody would want. It’s kind of unparalleled actually, and they don’t come to me with those. And that’s alright."

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/10/26/paul-thomas-anderson-is-a-fan-of-nolans-batman-films.html

Cronenberg's entitled to his opinion, but movie history just proves his opinion is wrong.

Last edited:
David Cronenberg does not critique TDKR:

Sure, he said that later, but that seems like backtracking. I'm not sure how "if you think TDKR is cinematic art then you don't know what the f**k you're talking about" isn't a criticism.

You can't criticize a movie you've never seen. He says his words got distorted, as they often do by interviewers. He was talking about the superhero genre, not Nolan specifically, or a movie he's never even seen. His words of clarification.

That entire sentence could have been chopped up and printed.

You can't criticize a movie you've never seen. He says his words got distorted, as they often do by interviewers. He was talking about the superhero genre, not Nolan specifically, or a movie he's never even seen. His words of clarification.

More like he was talking about a movie he had never seen (TDKR) on the basis of a movie that he had seen (TDK). I'm not sure how that's any better. But I'm done arguing semantics on these boards.

You can't criticize a movie you've never seen in terms of its quality, but you can criticize the premise of that film. And he did.

That entire sentence could have been chopped up and printed.

Exactly.

More like he was talking about a movie he had never seen (TDKR) on the basis of a movie that he had seen (TDK). I'm not sure how that's any better. But I'm done arguing semantics on these boards.

You can't criticize a movie you've never seen in terms of its quality, but you can criticize the premise of that film. And he did.

Nobody's asking you to argue semantics. He says clear as day that his words got distorted and bent out of shape in that link you posted, and he was not talking about Nolan specifically, or TDKR as he's never seen it, but the superhero movie genre as a whole.

There's nothing to argue. That's his explanation for what he was saying. He knows what he meant better than anyone. Nothing anyone else says can change that.

Reek needs your votes in the deathmatch! Go my Nolanite brethren!

I would think posters in this section would be more inclined to go for AnneFan than Reek.

I didn't even know who Reek was until I decided to spend some time in the Community section. He seems like a nice guy, but AnneFan got my Bat-vote.

I am an old school Tusian ... One of the last.

everyone forgets I was 'Cory' :cmad:

Vote for Reek. Pray harder. There will be no more burnings.

I actually liked the BvS trailer, but SS just looks more intriguing. It looks like it's going to be something different.

Um, dude, BvS is gonna be groundbreaking. Just like MOS was dude. Ask the BvS boards. BvS is totally breaking new grounds dude.

I really wanted MOS to be groundbreaking... that third trailer was unbelievable.

Zack Snyder: King of the trailers. :o

MOS' trailer was better than the entire film. And that's a shame.

Um, dude, BvS is gonna be groundbreaking. Just like MOS was dude. Ask the BvS boards. BvS is totally breaking new grounds dude.

I really hope it is. Because if I have to see people either make up excuses for Snyder again, or act like yet another polarizing DCCU film was obviously a great cinematic achievement that people would be moronic to find fault with, I think I'm gonna have to stick to the Marvel section of the Hype.

Personally I think the DCCU's saving grace next year will be Suicide Squad.

You all remember any pre-TDK rumors that tied Joker to the League of Shadows? Those were the days.

Got a question about TDK. Was it intentional that Batman and Rachel looked like they just got done an intense and passionate reverse cowboy session on the car right after Batman saves her from the fall?

I am inclined to say yes. But given how prudish Nolan is, it might not have. But still, questions have had to come up when Nolan was cutting the film with Lee Smith, or in the sound mix session. "Mr. Nolan, should I play it straight or do you want me to heighten the moans?".

You all remember any pre-TDK rumors that tied Joker to the League of Shadows? Those were the days.

My favorite was the theory that Coleman Reese was The Riddler.

Well, he is the closest thing to the Riddler that the trilogy ever got. Whether it was intentional or not. I view him as an original character that may have had deliberate allusions to Riddler in the same way Gordon's MCU partner had similarities to Bullock and Barsad was a little bit like Deadshot.

I never got the Barsad Deadshot one. Just because he sniper shot a couple of Cops didn't evoke any Deadshot vibes from him. The other two I got, especially the Bullock/Stephens one because he was friendly with Gordon, a bit rough around the edges, and going to beat up the Joker after a few provocative remarks is totally something Bullock would do.

Honestly, I don't really count Reese as a Riddler stand-in either. Nothing about him suggested that he was any sort of genius. He just happened to be in a position where he had access to information that made it very easy to put two and two together, and then tried to use it for blackmail- which backfired twice. The name could be some sort of very loose nod, but I don't see the character as having anything to do with The Riddler. He was just a common weasel.

That's the accountant, right?
"I want a million dollar a year."

That is one of my favorite scenes in the entire trilogy, Lucius Fox calmly and indirectly telling him "Shut up, don't do blackmail" is always good for a good laugh.

That's the accountant, right?
"I want a million dollar a year."

That is one of my favorite scenes in the entire trilogy, Lucius Fox calmly and indirectly telling him "Shut up, don't do blackmail" is always good for a good laugh.

That was a great scene, but a friend of mine got really upset about it, kept saying "Bruce would never be so sloppy to let some lowly extortionist get ahold of the Batmobile/Tumblr blue-prints!" Of course, it didn't look nearly as bad here as it did in "Returns" a few years earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"