You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 5

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

The JL board is very active today for some reason.

2. Tacit Ronin Registered

Am I the only one who dislikes how both Marvel and DC films look?

Marvel films utilize all the primary and secondary colors, but they are often so muted and dull.

DC films often utilize very saturated colors, but they are so often so grey and self consciously dim and 'dark'.

I mean look at a movie like Silence. Watch the trailer on your TV, the colors simply POP. And it's not like Marty is even trying to make a colorful movie. He ain't. But the movie isn't afraid to bathe the frame with blissful, beautiful colors.

Marvel and DC, step the **** up.

3. shauner111 Registered

Thanks, I need glasses like that poster who thinks those movies look the same.

4. titansupes Registered

Total agreement here.

5. Tacit Ronin Registered

I will say that Wonder Woman looks wonderful. It's the best of both worlds: using the wide color palette of the marvel movies and the gorgeous oil painting-like saturation of (portions of) DC movies.

6. shauner111 Registered

A little bit yeah. I do think it's more noticeable lately with the DCEU because it's Superman and we're so used to him and his movies being so colorful.

7. Tacit Ronin Registered

Maybe "Silence" is too high brow.

Fine, look at Rogue One and the new King Kong movie. No Marvel/DC movies can compete with either of those. Why are we, in this golden age of comic movies, not getting movies that look great?

WW looks great. Let's see what Coogler comes up with for Black Panther.

8. Ivan Drago Do Not Want

Steven Spielberg>Martin Scorsese.

Come at me.

9. BaelaTargaryen Registered

So Affleck's last directorial effort "Live by Night" is apparently mediocre. Hopefully he will get his s**t together for The Batman.

10. Tacit Ronin Registered

Oh god. If it turns out to be true, get ready to be hit with another wave of 'CRITICS BIAS'.

11. shauner111 Registered

Hell no. I'm a big fan of a lot of Spielberg's older films but i also think a lot of his "classics" are mediocre. In the last 10 to 15 years he has also been incredibly inconsistent. Scorsese's popular classics are next level and even his lesser known works from back in the day are great. Spielberg always had duds even back in the 70's and 80's when he was in his prime. Marty is more consistent and doesn't hold your hand with ridiculous happy endings just for the sake of not pissing off the general audience. That's something Spielberg does a lot, and it drives me nuts.

Sorry, but i had to come atcha bro! :cwink:

Really!?? Well, i personally don't care about the opinion of critics too much. And the trailers look phenomenal. But that would be awful if it turned out to be a flashy, beautiful looking but hollow gangster pic. That would suck.

Interesting though. I should look into this..

Critics usually love Ben, so we'll see.

12. shauner111 Registered

I just looked at some of the ratings, and it looks good so far..

13. BaelaTargaryen Registered

They aren't very good. Its rating on Critics' Choice is 76/100. It seems to look good, but ratings on Critics' Choice are generally higher than ratings on RT and Metacritic. 76 is the rating of X-Men: The Last Stand here. Thor: The Dark World and Man of Steel are rated 77. Affleck's The Accountant, that has 51% on RT, is 75. Allied (61%) is 77.

Its Letterbox rating is 3,2/5 at the moment (the same as Allied).

It was also screened for critics on November 16, yet reviews and twitter reactions are embargoed until December 21 (4 days before the premiere). That' s not encouraging.

See also this thread: http://awardswatch.com/forums/showt...t-Thread-Live-by-night-dead-by-morning/page17.

14. shauner111 Registered

I see. I guess if we go by the trailers, it could very well turn out to be a film without much of a story and a lot of cliche's + great photography. I'm still pumped for it though.

I hope this isn't the stage in his career where he decides to make everything look gorgeous and rushes everything else. The rumor that "The Batman" has a messy script might be true after all.

I have to take ratings with a grain of salt though. I'm sure a lot of my favorite films from the last decade are in the 70's or less on Critics Choice.

15. Ivan Drago Do Not Want

16. Ivan Drago Do Not Want

The only duds Spielberg has ever had is 1941 and Indiana Jones 4 (the later of which was still a big box office success).

But yes I do prefer Spielberg.

I think the post-2000 period pushes Berg ahead for me. Scorsese has gotten into a mode where he makes these fat overlong movies that have some brilliant stretches, but never fully satisfy. I don't think any of them are on the level of Munich or Minority Report, as fun as Catch Me If You Can, as interesting as A.I. Artificial Intelligence. Even Berg's semi-biopics are better, I'll watch Lincoln over The Aviator again any day of the week. I haven't loved any of Scorsese's film since 1990.

Also, unpopular opinion alert, Taxi Driver is the most overrated Scorsese film of all-time. All praise to Marty and De Niro for trying their best to overcome Schrader's obnoxious screenplay thats far too interested in siding with Bickle. There's nothing here about 70s pre-Giuliani New York or the codes and conducts of violent masculinity that Mean Streets didn't already do better. And its ending is awful.

Not to mention, Spielberg has Jaws, which is the greatest movie of all-time. So ya know, there's that too.

Also, the only ridiculous happy ending Spielberg has ever tacked on is War of the Worlds.

17. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

I heard The BFG wasn't that great.

18. Ivan Drago Do Not Want

It's a shame BFG flopped. It's a first for Spielberg. The marketing was piss poor.

Me and my family really enjoyed the film, but it's probably one of Spielberg's lesser movies. If you're a fan of Roald Dahl definitely watch it.

E.T. is still the gold standard for child sci-fi/fantasy film. It's pretty much a perfect movie.

19. Spider-Aziz Farewell, Silver Perm Friend

If this is true, I already lost hope in that movie.

20. Spider-Aziz Farewell, Silver Perm Friend

This makes me wonder if someone who is completely color blind would nitpick how colors would affect his/her experience.

21. -JKR- Registered

The trick is to be picky with comic book adaptations. I don't watch every 'comic book movie,' just those who seem like promising movies from the trailers.

I skipped several Marvel Studios productions (including the latest) because of that, and was always right. The only one I didn't skip which I wasn't really looking forward to was Captain America: Civil War. I went because I loved The Winter Soldier, but was disappointed that my feeling about the trailers were pretty much spot on.

And as much as I think people will be burnt out on superheroes, as long as someone keeps making SPECIAL ONES, I think they'll attract an audience anyway.

Next year Logan looks like it's going to be "the special one." This year it was Deadpool for me.

22. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

I'm pretty burnt out on the genre to be honest. Skipped X-Men Apocalypse this year, and still haven't seen Doctor Strange. I may still see Strange, but I dunno. I'm not saying I'm burnt out forever, but I was really feeling the oversaturation this year and probably just needed a bit of a breather.

I'm hoping Wonder Woman will be something fresh and exciting. And I'm also excited for Lego Batman, if we're counting that. Then there's Logan, Spider-Man Homecoming and Guardians Vol. 2. So I think there should be enough coming next year for my interest to rebound, as long as the movies are good. And by good, I mean good, not just okay/passable.

23. Greens I am Danny DeVito

I watch every Marvel, DC and Fox CBM release with one exception.... Fantastic Four.

24. Kane52630 Timmverse User

I enjoyed The BFG, but I found Pete's Dragon a better Spielberg-esque film.

25. Spider-Aziz Farewell, Silver Perm Friend

The planet Krypton has its own version of cannabis.
    What a thing to find out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.