Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Webbs peter parker was far less of a mopey loner than raimis . Rami's peter was socially awkward in nearly all of his moments. Webb while making peter a loner (which peter kinda always was) also gave him humor and some style. Which actually fit his relationship with gwen and made it believable. I have no clue truly why raimis mj fell for peter parker. Because all it looked like was she fell for spiderman

The humor in ASM felt out-of-place, it wasn't funny (like that carjacking scene). Raimi's Spider-Man didn't quip a lot, but there was more organic humor. Making a emo kid in spandex spout quips ("oh no, knives!") had me shake my head.

I put blame on Sony and the producers since there are several different directions they could've gone with Peter Parker in a reboot (a la the 1990s animated Spider-Man or the short-lived 'Spectacular Spider-Man'). But I thought they dropped the ball on rebooting Spider-Man. That's the property I want Marvel Studios and Disney to reclaim.

The humor in ASM felt out-of-place, it wasn't funny (like that carjacking scene). Raimi's Spider-Man didn't quip a lot, but there was more organic humor. Making a emo kid in spandex spout quips ("oh no, knives!") had me shake my head.

I put blame on Sony and the producers since there are several different directions they could've gone with Peter Parker in a reboot (a la the 1990s animated Spider-Man or the short-lived 'Spectacular Spider-Man'). But I thought they dropped the ball on rebooting Spider-Man. That's the property I want Marvel Studios and Disney to reclaim.

i disagree completely. I felt it was great, and a giant step from the flat humor in the Raimi films. That felt forced.

Not from where I was. No one that I've watched it with has ever had a problem with him appearing, they just feel like Thor's in danger because the guy with the bow could kill him at any moment. It was the same way in the theater. Some fans had a problem with it because they didn't really think Hawkeye served a purpose in Thor, and had a pointless cameo that serviced TA.

from where i was, people were confused because they could tell it was a blatant cameo, they just weren't sure what they were suppose to do with it.. and it left them feeling like they were missing something or left out of something that we know.

i disagree completely. I felt it was great, and a giant step from the flat humor in the Raimi films. That felt forced.

Flat? Have you not watched them in a while?

Okay, let's agree to disagree on Raimi and Webb. It'll just devolve into a flame war, and I don't want that.

Still, I don't see how Vaughn's involvement in The Fantastic Four means he'll replace Trank as director. He's been producing far more movies than he's directed. It's not a red flag.

Raimi's humor to me just isn't funny, it's not smart, it's slapstic lowest demominator predictable humor. Webb was more my speed.

I don't think Trank is going to leave either... but I do think I can see the F4 in XFC more so than i can see it in Chronicle

Raimis humor is WAY too campy for my liking.

from where i was, people were confused because they could tell it was a blatant cameo, they just weren't sure what they were suppose to do with it.. and it left them feeling like they were missing something or left out of something that we know.

Interesting. I guess we have no way of knowing for sure.

Interesting. I guess we have no way of knowing for sure.

my non-comic friends hate it when blatant "fanboy knows but we don't" things happen.. because obviously it's something to be excited about, but they don't know why and thus don't care. it can be distracting i guess to some people. Like you've gotten a puzzle piece and have no use of it.

That's why i think sometimes cameo's or references like that shouldn't be in vast focus.. you should be able to watch the film and have that not take you out of it. But when the camera and scene makes you focus on it.. it seems out of place.

Like imagine those who saw Iron Man 2, and didn't see the after credits for Iron Man (most Gen Audience did not), nor did they really give any thought to what SHIELD is... They're sitting in IM2 and suddenly SLJ pops up with an eye patch and talking to tony as if they're chums... that immediately takes them out of the film and confuses them.

The post credit scene in Thor was actually handled very well because it gave us a hint at Avengers, without the Gen Audience needing that piece of information.

the SLJ cameo in IM1 was pretty valuable and integral for people to not see it.

You know, it is going to be really interesting to see the new costumes and how the Thing will be done. I think above everything they really have to get his design right.

Also the casting of Reed is key to this movie in my opiniion. Unlike the Avengers, Reed is and always has been the undisputed leader of the FF, so goes the FF as he goes. If they blow his casting, it will be very disappointing. Next up will be Susan, then Ben and finally Johnny, even some unknown could work for Johnny I think, but the lead has to be strong. Casting good strong candidates however will be difficult as some people may be gun shy after what Tim Story did for Jessica Alba, who though not the strongest actress was not helped by Story's direction.

There seems to be a lot of excitement at Fox over the property (1.5 billion will do that to you) and as someone pointed out, Rothman's vision is no longer the ceiling at Fox, so we should expect something fresh. They need to have a good start though and the casting will go a long way in mollifying the fears of the fan base.

You know, it is going to be really interesting to see the new costumes and how the Thing will be done. I think above everything they really have to get his design right.

Also the casting of Reed is key to this movie in my opiniion. Unlike the Avengers, Reed is and always has been the undisputed leader of the FF, so goes the FF as he goes. If they blow his casting, it will be very disappointing. Next up will be Susan, then Ben and finally Johnny, even some unknown could work for Johnny I think, but the lead has to be strong. Casting good strong candidates however will be difficult as some people may be gun shy after what Tim Story did for Jessica Alba, who though not the strongest actress was not helped by Story's direction.

There seems to be a lot of excitement at Fox over the property (1.5 billion will do that to you) and as someone pointed out, Rothman's vision is no longer the ceiling at Fox, so we should expect something fresh. They need to have a good start though and the casting will go a long way in mollifying the fears of the fan base.

This brings up a good point, and perhaps better asked elsewhere, but what is the RIGHT design for The Thing. Like the Hulk, over the years the Thing has had many different looks, some have been amazing, most have been crap.

I loved the way Jack Kirby drew The Thing's face.

I loved the way Jack Kirby drew The Thing's face.

For me Kirby is certainly the way to go - but which Kirby face. Jack's take on the Thing changed significantly over his 10 year run - the Kirby/Brodsky Thing from #3 & 4 is different from the Kirby/Ditko Thing of #13 or the Kirby/Ayers Thing or the Kirby/Stone Thing or the two or three distinctive looks of the Kirby/Sinnott Things...

I always liked Wieringo's Thing, I just wouldn't make him as cartoony of course... but i liked the brow and eyes.

This brings up a good point, and perhaps better asked elsewhere, but what is the RIGHT design for The Thing. Like the Hulk, over the years the Thing has had many different looks, some have been amazing, most have been crap.

You know, this is a hard thing to lock down, I would say the Kirby/Sinnott latter issues look but how do you pull that off on screen. All the live action designs we have seen so far were lacking, from Corman's never released version to Tim Story's shrunken Brow and stubby rubberized suit. Maybe the best they can do is a much bigger version of what Story did with the full Kirby brow.

And if they can't get it to work onscreen with an actor, maybe CGI is the way to go. I don't know what the consensus is in the costumes thread but I am sure we are all eager to see what they end up doing.

I'm not worried, as the man is a good writer, but he has kind of a quirky sensibility about him. I mostly know him from that RJ Berger MTV show that was cancelled before its time.

A surprising move, given that the guy penned not one but two high-profile flops last year, critically and commercially.

A surprising move, given that the guy penned not one but two high-profile flops last year, critically and commercially.

Which gives Fox leverage to lowball him his payday for the polish. I shouldn't be too leery about this, he'll be reporting to Vaughn and Trank for the script polish. And a script polish means it's close to getting the greenlight.

Once Fox and the producers approve the script polish, that's when they can start casting and begin pre-production in earnest.

It's not his fault people don't get it. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"