Justice League Justice League: News and Speculation - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was NOT the reason why Sony rebooted the Spider-Man franchise. The producers wouldn't give Raimi creative freedom (which he earned since those three films made a pretty penny for Sony and Marvel Entertainment), and Raimi decided to leave to avoid a repeat of Spider-Man 3.

I'm sick of people acting like "well, Raimi was getting too expensive and SM-3 was awful, that's why they rebooted". I guarantee you guys that if the producers (aka Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin) had let Raimi have creative control for Spider-Man 4 -- he would've likely deferred his usual big upfront payment in order to make the film he wanted. There would be no Amazing Spider-Man, we would've had two more Raimi Spider-man movies.

I know what Nikki Finke an Co. have said about the project, but the truth of the matter is that Columbia Pictures and Sony opted to go with the reboot and a cheaper budget. That tells me it was more about money than anything else. Columbia knew that they had a mandate not to give away more than 25% of the gross and their investors wanted a payoff. On a cheaper budget your payoff could be greater assuming you make the same gross on the film. Case in point, If "Spider-Man 4" had been made on a $400 million budget with a similar return as "Spider-Man 3" (about $890 million worldwide) Columbia's profit before taking out print and advertising would have been about $267 million. That compares to "The Amazing Spider-Man", which grossed $752 million world wide on a $230 million budget and brought them $334 million before print and advertising. That was the risk they faced. If they were that confident in Rami's sequel, they would have waited the extra time and gone with his project (in any case the next Spider-Man film was delayed), but they didn't. Creative reasons was just an excuse.

Lead ins are not necessary. If you think that's necessary then why isn't marvel giving star-lord, drax, rocket raccoon, groot, and gamora their own movies before guardians of the galaxy?

Wb/dc can release MOS,then JL. If JL does well, make solo films(including the JL batman) and continue the MOS movies. The JL sequel can be squeezed in before MOS 3

I don't believe the lead ins are necessary either, people have just seen what Marvel have done and think that's the only way to do it. It's not folks.

Lead ins are not necessary. If you think that's necessary then why isn't marvel giving star-lord, drax, rocket raccoon, groot, and gamora their own movies before guardians of the galaxy?

The difference between JL/Avengers and a team like the GotG is that the GotG are ALWAYS a team. They're not generally solo characters and they don't need any kind of solo build up (Same goes for teams like X-Men, FF, and Teen Titans). Team-UPS like Justice League or Avengers on the other hand, feature characters who all carry their own titles and when they team up it becomes an event. That's the reason The Avengers is the 3rd biggest film of all-time and films like X-Men and FF do average numbers. Without lead-ins Justice League will be getting the same treatment as an average superhero team film instead of an event film.

I don't believe the lead ins are necessary either, people have just seen what Marvel have done and think that's the only way to do it. It's not folks.

I don't think anybody believes that it's the ONLY way to do it, but it is without a doubt the best way to do it.

Was the Justice League comic introduced to the public without lead ins? Did the first issue have the task of introducing these characters for the first time or were readers already familiar with each individual hero as a result of their solo adventures?

Justice League isn't X-Men or Fantastic Four. It's not your standard superhero team. The appeal of the Justice League was the fact that it was a teamup of DC's greatest superheroes. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, etc... these were all well established solo entities. It was the idea of these guys teaming up that made the Justice League a success. That's what made it such a big deal. The Justice League is nothing without the sum of it's parts.

In my opinion they either do it right or they don't do it at all. Who cares if it looks like they're copying Marvel? Newsflash, Marvel's method worked. It's a proven recipe for success. Establish the solo franchises first and then have them team up for Justice League.

Story-wise it's not necessarily the best way, but business-wise I think it is especially when a lot of JL members require costly special effects unlike Captain America, Black Widow, and Hawkeye.

Can you do JL without lead-ins and do it well? Yes. Is it the best choice? No. Having lead-ins gives you an advantage.

I also don't think that doing lead-ins means DC is using Marvel's formula. There are ways to do lead-ins without doing them the way Marvel did them.

Wait...What!?? Apparently that 'Elmayambe' just hinted that the actors for JL would be at Comic con for a panel...

Double post but this is what he said on Twitter..''Sold out in 90 minutes?! Wow, y'all REALLY wanna see THE JUSTICE LEAGUE unite up on stage in Hall H this year huh? ;) #SDCC''

Anyone believe this?If true could be amazing and quite the surprise.

He could just be joking, just playing up on what the Avengers cast did before.

But if it were true, I would be happy, like I was in a parallel universe. And I probably would be!

The difference between JL/Avengers and a team like the GotG is that the GotG are ALWAYS a team. They're not generally solo characters and they don't need any kind of solo build up (Same goes for teams like X-Men, FF, and Teen Titans). Team-UPS like Justice League or Avengers on the other hand, feature characters who all carry their own titles and when they team up it becomes an event. That's the reason The Avengers is the 3rd biggest film of all-time and films like X-Men and FF do average numbers. Without lead-ins Justice League will be getting the same treatment as an average superhero team film instead of an event film.

I don't think anybody believes that it's the ONLY way to do it, but it is without a doubt the best way to do it.

It's not the best way, especially if you look at it from a studio perspective. Wb wants to make money, it will take so long for them to get solo movies out to get to a JL movie. What if all the solo movies fail? Chances of that happening are very high with wb. We'll never see a JL movie then. A great story and a fun movie will make it avengers/tdk big.

Plus, I have a ton of friends who know nothing about comics, and who didn't see the solo marvel movies outside of ironman, and they still loved avengers. Lead in dont really matter to the ga. They weren't lost or wonder why bana or norton didn't play hulk, or who these people or actors are. The ga is not that stupid nor are they that nitpicky to care about the stuff fanboys think they'll care about.

Last edited:
He could just be joking, just playing up on what the Avengers cast did before.

But if it were true, I would be happy, like I was in a parallel universe. And I probably would be!

Obviously he could be joking..But why even mention anything about JL and WB panel at CC at all? That's why I think there could be some truth to this.

Obviously he could be joking..But why even mention anything about JL and WB panel at CC at all? That's why I think there could be some truth to this.

Well, then you can go and get your hopes up if you want.

Honestly, this just looks to be speculation on ElMayimbe's part. We all heard that a JL movie all depends on the success of MOS, so by the time Comic-Con comes around, if MOS is a huge success, then Comic-Con might be time for WB to announce their upcoming plans for DC movies. If by that time, JL could have progressed script-wise, director and production-wise, as well as casting, and it has the go-ahead because of MOS, then there might be some news at Comic-Con. But the whole cast onstage is the most extreme kind of hope, because, unlike Avengers-which did it after having all the solo movies cast set- we don't know what stage JL will be in at that point.

Can you do JL without lead-ins and do it well? Yes. Is it the best choice? No. Having lead-ins gives you an advantage.

I also don't think that doing lead-ins means DC is using Marvel's formula. There are ways to do lead-ins without doing them the way Marvel did them.

Agreed. Like a duo or trio movie a la World's Finest or Trinity

Plus, I have a ton of friends who know nothing about comics, and who didn't see the solo marvel movies outside of ironman, and they still loved avengers. Lead in dont really matter to the ga. They weren't lost or wonder why bana or norton didn't play hulk, or who these people or actors are. The ga is not that stupid nor are they that nitpicky to care about the stuff fanboys think they'll care about.

If you think the general audience didn't care about the lead-ins just because your friends didn't you are mistaken. The Avengers didn't make as much as it did solely by being an amazing movie. Without the lead-ins we're talking about a $800M-$1B movie here. It would have been seen as an X-Men type superhero team film movie rather than the epic crossover event that it ended up being. You guys are seriously underestimating that factor.

I'd have to say I think along the lines that they could do it without lead ins. That is if they can figure out how to do it.

My dream scenario would be a trilogy like Lord of the Rings. Massive! Epic! Morrison huge! That would completely blow The Avengers out of the water!

This way they don't have to worry about characterization. Because you have three movies to flesh out all the characters, which include flashbacks to origins! Maybe!

Character arcs: Superman realizes he cannot do everything and someone will always have his back. Batman learns how to become the team player and not be the "Lone wolf". Flash learns that his powers might make him one of the most powerful beings on the planet and how to accept it. GL (Hal) gets another lesson in humilty. WW learns how to be human because she's a demigod and now lives in London.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy had a great source with which to build upon. The Justice League also has that. Only problem is nobody has figured out how to translate into a movie.

If you think the general audience didn't care about the lead-ins just because your friends didn't you are mistaken. The Avengers didn't make as much as it did solely by being an amazing movie. Without the lead-ins we're talking about a $800M-$1B movie here. It would have been seen as an X-Men type superhero team film movie rather than the epic crossover event that it ended up being. You guys are seriously underestimating that factor.

Um, yes it did. If it was a dogs breakfast it wouldn't have matter if there were lead in films or not.

Double post but this is what he said on Twitter..''Sold out in 90 minutes?! Wow, y'all REALLY wanna see THE JUSTICE LEAGUE unite up on stage in Hall H this year huh? ;) #SDCC''

Anyone believe this?If true could be amazing and quite the surprise.

Mayimbe may be *****ey sometimes, but he's been legit with his news so far. I don't think he'd tease something like that for no reason, so there could be something he's trying to hint at. He also mentions the WB Panel being followed by the Marvel panel on the Saturday of Comic Con in Hall H in another comment on his twitter.

Don't know how important this whole "shared universe" idea is to the GA. Most people just want to see a fun, entertaining movie. They could probably put out a film with Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Wolverine, Iron Man, Hellboy, James Bond and Capt. Kirk together and most people would probably think "Wow! Cool!" To most of the GA it's all just superhero fun. :)

Mayimbe may be *****ey sometimes, but he's been legit with his news so far. I don't think he'd tease something like that for no reason, so there could be something he's trying to hint at. He also mentions the WB Panel being followed by the Marvel panel on the Saturday of Comic Con in Hall H in another comment on his twitter.

Let's just hope they have a script and director at that point.

Was the Justice League comic introduced to the public without lead ins? Did the first issue have the task of introducing these characters for the first time or were readers already familiar with each individual hero as a result of their solo adventures?

Justice League isn't X-Men or Fantastic Four. It's not your standard superhero team. The appeal of the Justice League was the fact that it was a teamup of DC's greatest superheroes. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, etc... these were all well established solo entities. It was the idea of these guys teaming up that made the Justice League a success. That's what made it such a big deal. The Justice League is nothing without the sum of it's parts.

In my opinion they either do it right or they don't do it at all. Who cares if it looks like they're copying Marvel? Newsflash, Marvel's method worked. It's a proven recipe for success. Establish the solo franchises first and then have them team up for Justice League.

Yeah X-Men and FF are different but you don't need to do lead ins. End of the day you see films all the time that can start in the middle of a long story and then they end up doing prequels. End of the day though these films are proof the team ups work without lead ins. Just because individually they aren't as bigger heroes as Superman, Batman or Spider-Man doesn't mean you didn't have to buy into each character in a team up film without knowing much about them beforehand. Therefore the X-Men films are proof that the other way works successfully aswell.

Everyone knows who Superman and Batman are, that's the selling point of this film. You don't need to know every heroes origin before they team up. Look at the BO for Avengers, I can guarantee you a lot if this people didn't see the films before and probably watched them after they saw Avengers. Therefore you don't need to build towards it, you can leap from it.

Also some characters for example GL would need a Hulk type moment in JL to get another solo movie anyway cause they aren't gonna risk making another GL now.

Don't know how important this whole "shared universe" idea is to the GA. Most people just want to see a fun, entertaining movie. They could probably put out a film with Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Wolverine, Iron Man, Hellboy, James Bond and Capt. Kirk together and most people would probably think "Wow! Cool!" To most of the GA it's all just superhero fun. :)

Exactly :up:

Last edited:
I don't think you need lead in films to JLA , but at the same time i'd personally prefer seeing some MOS films , a WW flick, and Batman reboot flick before JLA. I'm not one of those who wants a JLA by 2015 no matter what. Its got to be good , and if it takes 8 years to get a good script, then so be it.

Yes, WB could get the film off the ground in 2 years, but the quality of the film should come before fanboy impatience, WB reactive respone to Avengers, or a need to put it out there for the sake of putting it out there.

The fact is, the film is gonna get here when it gets here, and whether its 3 years or 8 , the public will be willing to wait for it. I say why not use the time to make a quality script. Nevermind the whole shared universe stuff. Just make a good script and take the time, find the right director, and cast the right actors to make JLA really special. It'll be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"