Justice League Justice League: News and Speculation - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
*shapeshifts into Natasha Romanov specifically

Batman also gets to wear an eyepatch, and is black

ppl *****ed when they found out Batman was going to be blond in Justice League Mortal....I can only imagine what they'd do if they cast a black man in the role..

ppl *****ed when they found out Batman was going to be blond in Justice League Mortal....I can only imagine what they'd do if they cast a black man in the role..

I sincerely hope that you know I was kidding...

Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog

*shapeshifts into Natasha Romanov specifically

As long as he doesn't shape-shift into Jeff Robinov, we're fine. :o

A lot of people on other everyday forums on the internet(not centered on geek culture like this site) were complaining when Stewart was going to be killed off. Believe me, if it was just people like us complaining it wouldn't have had as huge a backlash since we really make up a small percentage of the audience.

No we don't. People on these geek centred forums make up a lot of (and the most vocal of) the comic book fanbase (average readership of Stewart's title is about 30, 000). Those were the people who complained. Any person who is knowledgeable about comics is not the "GA", and also, if you just google "John Stewart killed off" you get links to the nerd culture sites, like CBR, Comicvine etc. Nothing like the NY Post (that reported Robin's death) or others.

And I do think this will lead to WB taking notice, because they have JL in the works and their GL movie with Hal tanked. It's reasonable to think they would take notice in this situation, especially seeing how popular Stewart is as a character.
But what goes on a DC has no bearing on WB Pictures. If it did, I still wouldn't expect to see John, considering he isn't the star of his own book, and not in the main GL book either. He's in the second tier of the Green Lantern characters.

For example, the most popular and critically acclaimed Batman series in decades didn't feature Bruce Wayne, except for the final issue.

At this point it's not really a gamble to have Stewart replace Jordan as the JL's GL for the first movie. It wouldn't have a huge negative backlash at all.
Maybe not, but DC won't have a say.

Here's an idea, though I don't agree with it all...

http://scottalanmendelson.blogspot.com/2013/03/warner-bros-already-has-ingredients-for.html

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Warner Bros. already has the ingredients for Justice League, and the keys to making it unique and groundbreaking...

So here's the $250 million question... Even if Warner Bros. eventually gets its proverbial act together and finds a decent script and a willing director how exactly do they make Justice League more than just 'the one that came second'? Warner Bros. is now in the unenviable position of trying to follow up what is basically the superhero team-up film that everyone always wanted to see. Oh sure, you can argue that Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are bigger and more iconic characters than Thor or Iron Man, but Marvel did the work and kudos to them for herding the necessary cats in order to make it happen. The irony is of course that Warner Bros. and DC Comics already have the ingredients to make Justice League matter in a movie world that has already seen The Avengers. They have the ingredients, and the manner in which they mix them will potentially allow Justice League to be different enough and unique enough to stand on its own. They just have to be willing to do what Marvel has so far been unwilling to do, which is to focus on heroes that aren't quite the ones you'd expect to take center stage.

Okay, for a moment, let's presume that the rumors about Chris Nolan taking over the DC Comics film universe is true. And let's also presume that, as has been reported, the rumors about Christian Bale returning to the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman is not true. Well, my issues with how it would screw with the seemingly stand-alone Dark Knight trilogy aside, they have an entire continuity built on Nolan's Bat-trilogy. If they want Joseph Gordon Levitt to don the cape and cowl in Justice League, they merely have to ask "not Tim Drake" to do so. Sure the iconic Bruce Wayne vs. Clark Kent relationship will be lost, but frankly I'd wager that most general moviegoers wouldn't give a flying crap about that. The idea of actually seeing Levitt don the Batsuit will arguably be a marketing tool in-and-of-itself. Warner Bros. has what is allegedly a very successful Superman film on the horizon, so you've got your two biggies taken care of. Frankly, even if they didn't have Man Of Steel, they still had a viable Superman in Brandon Routh. Superman Returns earned more money, in 2006 and in 2D, than Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor domestically (and more worldwide even than Thor when inflation is factored in), and what complaints people had with the movie had nothing to do with the central performance, but I digress.

And you've got Martin Campbell's Green Lantern. But everybody hated Green Lantern and it lost a ton of money, right? Well, yes, but you still have that film, which already establishes the origins and general playbook of the Green Lantern corps. You've already got your Hal Jordan in the form of Ryan Reynolds, which means you're actually as well-off as Marvel was prior to The Avengers. Marvel had prior films centered around Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America before The Avengers dropped. Since they basically ignored The Incredible Hulk (where the only explicit continuity reference involved a deleted scene), you basically had two Iron Man films, a Thor picture, and a Captain America origin story. Comparatively, DC Comics will have three Batman films, a Superman picture, and a Green Lantern film. And in terms of peripheral characters, The Avengers was basically 'three characters who appeared in Iron Man plus two supporting characters from Thor'. DC Comics already has the same pool of characters to pick from. You've got Jim Gordon and Alfred Pennyworth from the Batman films, whomever they want to use from Man of Steel (think Lois Lane or Dr. Hamilton, played by Richard Schiff) and the likes of the entire Green Lantern corps (think a cameo from Sinestro still on the side of light) and/and Dr. Amanda Waller (Angela Bassett) from Green Lantern.

Or better yet, use Hal Jordan as one of those side characters in order to introduce a new Green Lantern like Jon Stewart (played by, I dunno, David Oyelowo?) who exists in the same world as the previous Green Lantern film. That allows you to keep the continuity of the previous film without being saddled with a Green Lantern that wasn't very popular with audiences. So you've got your previously established films which could conceivably be a unified universe, complete with established superheroes and a viable supporting cast to pick and choose from to help create an interlocked world. So how do you make Justice League different from The Avengers? Before I get to that, DC Comics and Warner Bros. has to just go and make a Flash movie. Make it a street-level, blue-collar superhero adventure centered around Wally West, use two of the "Rogues" as your baddies (like Mirror Master and Boomerang) while casting big stars in those comparatively small roles, keep the budget under $120 million, and just do it between now and whenever Justice League comes out. Just take that David Goyer script that allegedly is ready to roll and get to it. Now you'll have four pre-established superhero mythologies that can be alleged to take place in the same world. So now you've got your Justice League. But now here's the secret:

Tell it from Wonder Woman's point of view. Cast Lynn Collins (great pick, Aaron) and make her the audience's surrogate ala Wolverine and Rogue in the first X-Men film. That's the one thing Marvel hasn't done yet and that's the one thing that will make it different and unique among the big-ticket superhero films. Make it a Justice League movie not centered around Batman or Superman, but around Wonder Woman, a (gasp) female superhero, as your entry-character. She'll be the newbie arriving to Earth to help save it from whatever hell has been unleashed. And since it's a crowded movie that must run under 2.5 hours, you can get away with doing whatever origin story must be told in a brief 2-5 minute flashback and worry about the details in a stand-alone Wonder Woman film. Doing it this way allows Warner Bros. to have its cake and eat it too. They don't have to worry about the alleged lack of commercial appeal of a Wonder Woman movie, since she'll be supported by Batman and the gang. You can get all the free press from crafting the first mega-budget superhero movie centered around a female without taking the (again, alleged) commercial risks that come with that. Justice League can establish Wonder Woman in a character worthy of her own franchise, just as The Avengers was able to do with Bruce Banner after two somewhat unsuccessful attempts. This also allows you to take the best parts of the superb 2009 DCAU animated movie (the large-scale action sequences and the moments of angry feminism) without basically remaking the film as your first Wonder Woman picture.

You also have the option, if you use Jon Stewart, of having Ryan Reynolds cameo as the retired Lantern who quickly explains the Lantern mythology and who may or may not show up in the final battle and who may or may not perish in the big fight. You get your big character death without marring the future franchise possibilities. A Justice League movie centered not around Batman and Superman but around Wonder Woman and/or Jon Stewart's Green Lantern would indeed be somewhat of a social ground-breaker and would indeed qualify as something different from The Avengers on the basis of its character focus alone. It would beat Marvel Studios to the punch in two areas, both in having a major African American superhero on the big screen (Blade was produced by New Line, natch) and by having a major superhero adventure centered around a female protagonist. Point being, to paraphrase the wonderful Wizard of Oz, DC and Warner Bros. have had a Justice League movie inside them all along. They already did the ground work without realizing it and now they just have to stick the landing by knowing how best to cook the ingredients they have already accumulated. Tell the story from Jon Stewart's POV and/or from Princess Diana's. Use the world of Chris Nolan's Batman films to bring audiences in even if Bale decides to opt out (or hell, have him cameo as Bruce Wayne to announce that he'll be secretly funding the team's exploits from here-on-out). Use the supporting characters from The Dark Knight, Man of Steel, and Green Lantern (plus whatever Flash movie gets made) to establish an interconnected universe.

Warner Bros. already has the material to make a Justice League movie that can justify itself amid the sea of comic book adventures. The question is whether they can make the smart choices. So what do you think? Does any of this have a shot in hell of happening? Is it better to completely start over with Batman or merely acknowledge the Nolan trilogy as a way of establishing past tense and possibly your new-found Batman? How should DC/Warner Bros. deal with Martin Campbell's already established Green Lantern mythology? Sound off below.

Scott Mendelson

It's nothing we haven't heard from on this forum. He's just another fanboy speculating like the rest of us.

World's Finest
Trinity
Justice League

All with an underlying story building up to the finale. That's how WB sets itself apart.

No we don't. People on these geek centred forums make up a lot of (and the most vocal of) the comic book fanbase (average readership of Stewart's title is about 30, 000). Those were the people who complained. Any person who is knowledgeable about comics is not the "GA", and also, if you just google "John Stewart killed off" you get links to the nerd culture sites, like CBR, Comicvine etc. Nothing like the NY Post (that reported Robin's death) or others.

But what goes on a DC has no bearing on WB Pictures. If it did, I still wouldn't expect to see John, considering he isn't the star of his own book, and not in the main GL book either. He's in the second tier of the Green Lantern characters.

For example, the most popular and critically acclaimed Batman series in decades didn't feature Bruce Wayne, except for the final issue.

Maybe not, but DC won't have a say.

You have a point with what you said about geek centered forums, I was talking more about an everyday forum I frequent where I was surprised to see such a reaction. I shouldn't have generalized like that, though.

And of course WB will pay attention to what goes on at DC if they're making a JL movie. You can disagree all you want, but John Stewart is the GL that's known to be apart of the JL for todays' audience, thanks to the old JL show. After WB messed up with Hal Jordan, it's logical to think they wouldn't want to reboot the character so fast, and instead start JL with another Lantern that has proven to be just as if not more popular than Hal amongst the GA.

DC does not have to have a say in the final product, that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that perhaps this was a test for the character's popularity. And if it was, then he seems to have passed it. The fact that Stewart's death was cancelled shows how much people like him, and if WB were paying attention to something like that for JL that is good business. And seeing as how the WB CEO is an ex-DC Comics publisher, that makes even more sense that he'd take notice of something like this.

Wasn't there something a while back mentioning how a WB representative went into a comic shop and surveyed fans to see which characters might and might not work for the JL? That was a rumor I think, but something like that is exactly what I'm saying when I mention that the link between these movies and the comics are real. Stewart is a character that would work with the JL and he's proved himself in that regard. At this point, it's not a gamble for DC to put him in JL.

If you continue to disagree, that's fine. But I'm not going to keep arguing and reiterating a point that I think makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
Fair enough, we are grown up enough to agree to disagree. I was just saying absolutely nothing WB has ever done in regards to DC centred films would suggest they take the slightest bit of notice when it comes to DC publications. Dan Didio lost the support of friend Geoff Johns, as well as other editors/writers and artists, received personal attacks and was stalked at an airport for a passing remark about killing off Dick Grayson, who has still yet to appear on film since then.

World's Finest
Trinity
Justice League

All with an underlying story building up to the finale. That's how WB sets itself apart.

If they're going to go this route, I'd rather it be done as a separate franchise entirely tbh. Get Man of Steel's potential series out of the way and go crazy with a Justice League franchise that is colossal in scope.

Last edited:
I think Trinity is too much between World's Finest and Justice League. By the time you get to JL, people have seen the team up enough times. There will be nothing special in discovering Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman. That's the charm of JL, you get to see them and others team up for the first time. You would just be getting Flash and Green Lantern as the newbies, and that's it for new stuff to look forward to.

I prefer WF then JL. Maybe a solo movie in between but that's all.

That's stupid then. Neither Avatar nor Titanic had black lead characters, and the same is true for the next three highest grossing films.

So, like Edris Elba playing Heimdall was stupid, right?

Im dying to know when Elba's contract is up with Marvel. If theyre planning on making a third Thor with his character then he's off the list for a John Stewart.

As much as I get tired of the same actors being thrown around for every part Elba as Stewart is perfect.

It's nothing we haven't heard from on this forum. He's just another fanboy speculating like the rest of us.

I don't remember reading any ideas of making WW or GL the focus of the film like Wolverine was with the first X-Men film.

I wrote this on the adjacent GL thread and decided to add this here just for good measure since it also pertains to the JL.

I was listening to a John Chu interview and he mentioned a very important thing.
And GI JOE is quite something GL can draw from as he former's first outing was also critically panned and was a disaster of sorts!

He made this point about continuities that even if they were disregarding certain characters, the most important thing GI JOE 1 did was INTRODUCE the characters. The point was made regarding the rivalry of Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes which was dealt with in the first movie and according to Chu, they didn't have to go back to that again and could just let it rip! And the case in point is that in spite of the first movie panning, I am tremendously excited about the second movie.

The same goes for GL's mythology. We as comicbook fans forget that movies have a much bigger target audience that may not already know what GL is all about. GL 2009 may not have been the most ideal movie but it did get the concept of Green Lantern across. Now, if you are saying that people hated the "concept" of GL, I'd disagree with you. GL was a bad movie and people were very right to hate it. Except probably Sinestro and the scenes on Oa the movie was utter... but I digress!

The thing here is JL could actually act as a Requel to GL if there is an inclination to include that character.

I have a rough idea I'd like to hear your views on.

I guess most of you have watched JL: The New Frontier.
Green Lantern, in that movie, does not actually arrive till the second half of the movie. It's his human self that is present in the first half.

Now we could possible have an invasion, right? Darkseid maybe?

Hal Jordan "dies" off screen at the beginning apparently defending Earth from this extra-terrestrial threat. This is codenamed henceforth as "THE INCIDENT"! Sector 2814 is Green Lantern-less.

The only being on Earth knowing this is Amanda Waller who, post the events of GL 2009 has become Hal Jordan's Government contact (though it happens off screen and is implied maybe as exposition to the same could be made in the team briefing later on by Waller.)

The advent of Superman and the others make Waller reach out to Superman for help and appraises him of the situation who in turn seeks out Batman and the he other JL members to fight the menace that has already reached Earth.
Alternatively, Superman could seek out Batman and the others to save the world on his own accord and Waller uses her sources to contact an give them the brief of the situation.
Throughout these sequences, a young man named "John Stewart" would be around, fresh out of the Marines. maybe scenes were he creates a buddy cop kinda friendship with Barry Allen though I definitely am certain it wouldn't have the impact a Hal-Barry may have.
Somewhere in battle, the League are outflanked and in trouble.
The Guardians of Oa find a new owner of the ring and Sector 2814 have a new Green Lantern!

Continue with a sequel if the character is positively received (which with a decent quality actor, should be less hard).
You get to keep Sinestro and the rest of the Lanterns (which I think were the strong points) and change the characters he interacts with on Earth (who were quite easily the weak link).

I can see why there is so much love for Elba! Dude is a household name now. And isn't averse to playing second fiddle to others.

World's Finest
Trinity
Justice League

If Worlds Finest turns out to be a hit, then people will be saying no Justice League until they finish a Worlds Finest Trilogy. I don't believe that a Worlds Finest film is even close to being made let alone scripted. In fact a Justice League picture is a lot further along than Worlds Finest.

I wrote this on the adjacent GL thread and decided to add this here just for good measure since it also pertains to the JL.

I was listening to a John Chu interview and he mentioned a very important thing.
And GI JOE is quite something GL can draw from as he former's first outing was also critically panned and was a disaster of sorts!

He made this point about continuities that even if they were disregarding certain characters, the most important thing GI JOE 1 did was INTRODUCE the characters. The point was made regarding the rivalry of Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes which was dealt with in the first movie and according to Chu, they didn't have to go back to that again and could just let it rip! And the case in point is that in spite of the first movie panning, I am tremendously excited about the second movie.

The same goes for GL's mythology. We as comicbook fans forget that movies have a much bigger target audience that may not already know what GL is all about. GL 2009 may not have been the most ideal movie but it did get the concept of Green Lantern across. Now, if you are saying that people hated the "concept" of GL, I'd disagree with you. GL was a bad movie and people were very right to hate it. Except probably Sinestro and the scenes on Oa the movie was utter... but I digress!

Agreed.

The thing here is JL could actually act as a Requel to GL if there is an inclination to include that character.

I have a rough idea I'd like to hear your views on.

I guess most of you have watched JL: The New Frontier.
Green Lantern, in that movie, does not actually arrive till the second half of the movie. It's his human self that is present in the first half.

Now we could possible have an invasion, right? Darkseid maybe?

Hal Jordan "dies" off screen at the beginning apparently defending Earth from this extra-terrestrial threat. This is codenamed henceforth as "THE INCIDENT"! Sector 2814 is Green Lantern-less.

The only being on Earth knowing this is Amanda Waller who, post the events of GL 2009 has become Hal Jordan's Government contact (though it happens off screen and is implied maybe as exposition to the same could be made in the team briefing later on by Waller.)

The advent of Superman and the others make Waller reach out to Superman for help and appraises him of the situation who in turn seeks out Batman and the he other JL members to fight the menace that has already reached Earth.
Alternatively, Superman could seek out Batman and the others to save the world on his own accord and Waller uses her sources to contact an give them the brief of the situation.
Throughout these sequences, a young man named "John Stewart" would be around, fresh out of the Marines. maybe scenes were he creates a buddy cop kinda friendship with Barry Allen though I definitely am certain it wouldn't have the impact a Hal-Barry may have.
Somewhere in battle, the League are outflanked and in trouble.
The Guardians of Oa find a new owner of the ring and Sector 2814 have a new Green Lantern!

Continue with a sequel if the character is positively received (which with a decent quality actor, should be less hard).
You get to keep Sinestro and the rest of the Lanterns (which I think were the strong points) and change the characters he interacts with on Earth (who were quite easily the weak link).

I can see why there is so much love for Elba! Dude is a household name now. And isn't averse to playing second fiddle to others.

Good ideas...

Maybe, they can feature both Earth based Lanterns (Hal Jordan and John Stewart)

Just show that Hal gets captured by some alien on some planet, his ring runs out of charge and he is put in some prison.

Or Hal could have been appointed to honor guard, after he managed to defeat Parallax all on his own. He receives special training and gets assigned the most important and dangerous Missions. Even without Hal "dead" or imprisoned somewhere, earth would be lacking a dedicated Lantern and the Guardians would seek out a new one.

The idea here is IF Ryan doesn't come back or IF the studio decides to go with a new Lantern in Stewart, they don't have to boot-out the entire on-screen mythology of GL 2009.
Hal dying, as opposed to Hal off-planet, solves the problem of bringing Ryan back. Yeah, and people like us can take other people (non-nerds) who are certainly AFRAID to watch another GL movie saying... "Yeah, that dude died saving Earth. There's a new guy. C'mon Mom, it's a Will Smith movie now."

LOL.

nm1676649
For John

so in order for this movie to pop off we're going to need to re reboot batman, another GL movie with John Stewart, a flash movie, WW movie, this new superman movie, and maybe a MM manhunter movie or Hawkgirl movie? That's about a 10 year window before we an even consider JL. *sigh* :doh::huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"