The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 6

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Thread Manager, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rock Sexton Registered

..... and I honestly never understood it.

2. Mysteryman Registered

I went back and forth on the other two,
    But , I always thought MIB III would provide a serious challenge for TA .

#127 Mysteryman, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  3. Mysteryman Registered

Has anybody seen Snow White and The Huntsman yet ?
    I was interested in reactions and crowd reports .

4. Xeno That's America's ass!

Neither did I. The weaknesses of DS and Battleship were obvious to anyone who looked at the films objectively. A big budget production based on a 40-year-old cult soap opera has limited appeal and targets an entirely different audience from The Avengers, Depp's participation notwithstanding. When the photos of Depp strolling around in corpse-white makeup surfaced the death-knell for DS tolled.

As for Battleship, it was impossible for me to believe that a movie based on an ancient board game would find an audience. When I saw the trailer with giant pegs stabbing up from the sea its status as a box-office bomb in the making was cemented in my mind. Does anyone even play Battleship anymore? Why don't they go ahead and greenlight Galaga: The Motion Picture? Because that's more relevant than freaking Battleship.

5. Liam_H Registered

Battleship could have been competition because I never underestimate an audience to watch something with spectacle. A few months ago I thought it was tracking around a $50+ million opening weekend but when actual projections came out it showed how little people were actually interested.

6. Rock Sexton Registered

Look, I honestly wanted to see Battleship in the weeks leading up to it's release because I enjoy summer special EFX movies. I never went though.

At the end of the day Avengers was a "Leviathan" ..... the word of mouth and reviews spread like wildfire. All these other movies in question weren't really competition anymore once it spread. I'd argue Avengers stole a lot of the viewers who might have gone to see them.

Battleship also suffered from having no real head liners. You can argue in favor of Liam Neeson, but he wasn't promo'd very much. You've got Skaarsgard of "True Blood" series .... and then Taylor Kitsch who already bombed in his John Carter. There wasn't really a draw in the same way the Avengers had.

#131 Rock Sexton, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  7. Liam_H Registered

I don't disagree with any of that but very few people three months ago were predicting the Avengers to be this well received and for its competition to be this poorly received.

I expected Avengers to be #1 for at least two weeks in a row because Dark Shadows was not going to break out and its WOM was probably not going to have HP/Twilight legs. However, Battleship looked like legit competition three months ago. The closer that May 4 approached the clearer things became.

8. Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
    I actually went today it's a pretty okay movie the movie was a bit slow but it isn't as good as i thought it would be. Charlize looked amazing though every scene that had her in it was great! The theater that i was in was filled with a bunch of high school teenagers a few guys with their GFs

9. Mysteryman Registered

I think the spectacle element helped Battleship in Europe at least initially.
    l liked a lot about the film, but I felt a lot of the editing was sloppy .

10. Mysteryman Registered

Thats what I heard, that Charlize was the highlight of the film.
    Well , looks like she might score a one two punch with this film and Prometheus next week.
    Thanks for the info.

11. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

She did a fantastic job. And yeah she will be in the no. 1 movie in America for two weeks straight.

12. Mysteryman Registered

Which is Never a bad thing .
    Glad to hear it .
    I always liked Charlize .

13. Xeno That's America's ass!

The Avengers raked in over half of the total North American box office revenues for the month of May. That shouldn't surprise anyone given how much TA has made, but the rest of Hollywood must be hurting.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3453&p=.htm

14. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Exactly. The first time I saw the battleship trailer, I giggled.

15. Saitou Hajime Registered

As I told a certain debbie downer a month ago, while Battleship promised A spectacle, The Avengers delivered THE spectacle. It was a poor Transformers clone going up against something what Transformers should've been.

16. Octavias Mad Insomniac

I want to stress that when they release the dailys today TA will officially be the #3 movie all time. it opened may 4th and at the end of May it was within 900k of TDK's full total from july to march. If it wasnt for the fact that Titanic rereleased itself in 3d and earned 57 million dollars this year, TA would be a lock for #2 all time (Honestly, if TA gets above 620million, Marvel really needs to make a marketing push to beat titanic... I think Fanboys and general action movie lovers alike could unite for that cause...

Anyhow the titanic target would be the highest possible realm it could reach, since somehow Avatar managed to weasel 750 million out of the general public with some nifty SFX and a remix of the ferngully story... Seriously no idea what anyone saw in that flick....

17. spider-neil spins a web any size!

I absolutely loved Avatar and since I've never seen Dances with wolves, Furngully or pocahontas I had no problem with the movie being derivative.

18. rashad Hype Board Junkie

It'll be interesting to see if the Avatar sequels will have the same resonance with audiences by the time they're released.

19. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

I don't think so. Avatar seems like a movie that it's unnecessary to have a sequel. I mean what is the plot going to be? Another group of humans come and try to cut down all the trees?

20. thalidomide The Enemy

The prophecy is true!!!!!

21. Liam_H Registered

Transformers recycled the same plot again and again, no reason why Avatar can't do it.

22. TheGambler Registered

The Avengers has officially passed The Dark Knight for #3 of all time domestically, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 for #3 spot at the worldwide box office!

Amazing.

23. Rock Sexton Registered

Hahaha so true about Avatar ..... and I'm a lover of a big special SFX.

24. Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#149 Superhero 101, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  25. Octavias Mad Insomniac

TYes it passed the marks for #3 all time, yet it didnt have the greatest friday. it was down to 114% of TDKs takings on its 30th day of release (also a friday). day that the lowest comparative weekend that was 4.2% lower than any weekday yet. MIB3 still beat it and Snow White pulled in 20 million. it was 500K lower than most of my projections... we will see if this trends or not (although the weekday take was a little higher than projected this week, so maybe it was just trickle over). In any case if it keeps up it sheds some doubt on whether it can make any real run at titanic. Promethius may actually knock it back down to the 605 mil range if it eats up theater space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.