The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 7

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Thread Manager, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Octavias

Octavias Mad Insomniac

Far less than half of the tix were for 3d. there were more 2d theaters showings plus the avengers lost its 3d showings faster than its 2d showings. Like I have said before the 3d plus inflation (which isnt a good calculation for TDK since the last major ticket increase happened before it was out) both probably added up to about the 17% that TA was above TDK. I dont think there are significant differences between tickets sold. I think the same audiance was the base for both... even if niether side of the fanboys will admit that...

2. Octavias

Octavias Mad Insomniac

Also I planned on seeing TDKR this weekend, but instead will see it on a weekday this week.... so i am proof that some people did stay away for one reason or another...

3. warriorking

warriorking Well-Known Member

I went Friday morning at 11:30am never gave it a second thought.
    Got a good laugh out of Time magazine when it ran an article on TDKR saying although the Avengers made 207 million in its OW it was just a kids movie compared to the TDKR .....

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  4. warriorking

Looks like the finale OW numbers are going to be around 165 Million....About where it was predicted before the Hype began....

5. Juicy J

Juicy J Well-Known Member

"Just a kids movie"? Haha wow. Some people are so stupid.

6. samsnee

samsnee Well-Known Member

That just pisses me off to no end. Avengers isn't The Godfather but it isn't like it didn't entertain adults just as well as kids.

7. eddy

eddy Make Mine Marvel

I bet movies like BTTF or Star Wars or Indy were called 'kids films' or light fluff when they were released. Time will tell the tale. Avengers is amazingly rewatchable and I'm sure in 20 years it will be looked back on very fondly.

8. Weadazoid

Weadazoid Well-Known Member

The Avengers is an awsome movie, it makes you a fan out of all the characters. Look I loved Thor, but I didn't love Captain America, until the Avengers. Just because everything in Cap, was really just a huge neccesity to make Cap come to life in the Avengers. It made me appreciate the character so much more.

He is a boyscout but good lord doesn't he always just embrace everything, he never backs down, He always takes the high road, he is the example of all of Humanities good will.

any word if Ruffalow is getting his own Hulk Movie.

9. Stark Bauer

Stark Bauer Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

No TA isnt Godfather. TDK is the Godfather of CBM. TA is more like the original Star Wars (episode IV A New Hope) not episode 1-3.

10. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

I don't think is fair to compare movies just because they're based in comic books. Honestly, it doesn't add anything, to any discussion. I'm not talking about anyone specifically here, but in general.

It's interesting to discuss box office performance and that stuff, but compare the quality of the movies with each other, it really isn't fair. That's what I feel, at least.
    And when critics do that, it's even worse.

11. JerseyJoker

JerseyJoker Well-Known Member

The Godfather is one of the most important film of American cinema.

The Dark Knight isn't. Its just a really great comic book film. It doesn't change the face of film making.

12. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

And it's perfectly acceptable to be a fan of both films.

Let's keep the TDKR vs. Avengers comments to a minimum, please.

13. danoyse

And you're pulling most of your remarks out of delusional fanboy land, and I don't advise you to continue this pattern.

We don't like the Marvel vs. DC nonsense here at any time, and considering the events of this weekend, it's particularly inappropriate to pat your movie on the back for having a better opening weekend.

14. buttercup

buttercup Member

Just dropping a note to say: I think TA's box office OW record is safe for the year because even though The Hobbit is coming out, it's a December release. They never have gigantic OWs; Return of the King did $77M first weekend, then had a soft 30% drop, and finished with $377M domestic (which was 9 years ago, no 3D, really darn impressive). Same with Avatar: modest OW and then a looooong run at being #1 at the box office.

For films opening in December, longevity matters more than gigantic OW. I would say that the OW record is pretty safe for now... at least until TA2 comes out.

15. LegendAssemble

LegendAssemble Well-Known Member

No it's not, it didn't do anything to change the Genre or the industry, aside from maybe more Hanz Zimmer style scores. Regardless, Iron Man was a film very similarly grounded deeply in reality and was a different genre movie first and a superhero films second, and it came out before the dark knight. It was a good movie don't get me wrong, but it was no Star Wars or the Godfather.

16. thalidomide

thalidomide The Enemy

Why are we talking about TDKR here?

17. warriorking

Sorry If you think I am a delusional fanboy, I was there on opening day for TDKR and enjoyed it ..so that shoots down the delusional fanboy comment, I was merely stating the final BO numbers compared to the Hype numbers thrown about...I also said it was a great summer for us as well as Marvel and DC.....

18. thalidomide

thalidomide The Enemy

This is the Avengers b.o. prediction thread go to TDKR forums if you want to talk about the TDKR's earnings.

I'm not being rude BTW. :p

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  19. warriorking

:yay: Quite all right no offence taken....

20. danoyse

And you're insisting that the shooting had nothing to do with the box office numbers, and you brought up a Time magazine article for no good reason other than to take a swipe at those numbers vs. The Avengers.

It's clear what you're doing, and you need to knock it off.

21. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

Probably because it's too busy in the TDKR threads. lol
    I just want to see how long Avengers stays in theaters. I'm going again this Friday then to ASM. :D

22. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

I was working and until friday broke. I'll wait for my daughters review on it before seeing it.

23. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

I kinda feel bad for TDKR. If the 161M number is accurate clearly the film was never going to break records, but I think 185M range is not unreasonable to think.

Also looking, every film was just hammered this weekend. 10M for TASM!!! I doubt it gets to 250M at this point, based on that.

24. KangConquers

KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

What's amusing is the $185 projected would've put it right there with Avengers for tickets sold...which leads me to believe, despite all the feuding, the exact same 15-20 million people are seeing both films.

25. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Yeah I agree, there's a ton of overlap between both films. Which is why I was very skeptical about the 200-215M predictions people were making. Where would that audience come from? I think you reach a saturation point on comic book films, and I think we've reached it. Heck attendance figures from Spider-man3 aren't that far off TDK and Avengers either.

Attendance will be lower for this movie, but we all know why.