The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 145

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shauner111

shauner111 Well-Known Member

It's speculation on their part. A person seems to have vanished if they never saw them again, no confirmed sightings but that doesn't mean it's true. There's actually no proof from Blake or anybody that he indeed disappeared. Yeah, to them he vanished but why couldn't that be a false statement?

Whether it's unrealistic or not, it's irrelevant.

You remember last night? The way you talked down to people like you had to spell things out for them to make em understand?? Well now im putting you in the same position. How many times do I have to say that just because Blake said he vanished, it doesn't mean it's pure fact that he never appeared again. How would anybody know for sure that Batman wasn't out there lurking in the shadows, even if there were sighting, they could have been unconfirmed. TheShape, me, and a handful of others told you this and you still don't take it in. If what you say is true, and people didn't even see a sighting (unconfirmed), then he's a damn ninja dude. He can get away with not being seen.

Blake is just using the term like "When Batman disappeared that night, y'know when none of us ever saw him again". That actually means nothing. If a drug lord is never to be found again, he flees a city according to the police, they never saw him again and neither did most people so to them he's vanished...but does that automatically mean it's true? Could he have been hiding out in the city the whole time, never getting caught? Sure.

Your argument just doesn't hold much water to me.

2. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I think we all should all stop, get drunk, then resume this discussion. It'd be good times.

3. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Here, here! :)

4. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

I was under the impression that most of the participants in this conversation were already drunk... :oldrazz:

5. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

"FROM SIGHT".

So...to the eye, Batman had vanished, but that may not have been the case...

thanks for making my point, Trav :up:

6. shauner111

Haha. I bet if we all got wasted together it would be hilarious. We would argue about Batman for 3 hours then we'd be embracing by the end of the night.

7. Anno_Domini

:up:

Loving all the agreement I've been reading guys. Keep it up! :woot:

8. Anno_Domini

When you say embrace, what exactly do you mean??? :mag :oldrazz:

9. ThePhantasm

The problem here isn't about what would have logically happened, I think we are all in agreement there. The problem is that it doesn't match up with what the film tries to make us believe. And it boils down to the fact that Nolan didn't want anyone else touching his universe so he attempted to leave no "gaps" where Bruce could have been or could return to be Batman.

10. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

That and Nolan himself said Batman hung up the cape for those 8 years.

11. Anno_Domini

You're overanalyzing one thing Nolan said, imo...he would never say "he retired a year after The Dark Knight's events". Bringing up the eight year gap is just to clarify the time gap between the two films and that he retired, lol.

12. ThePhantasm

Honestly I think we are taking what Nolan and the movie say at face value. It is you who are trying to leave room in all these quotes for further Batman activity. Our reading of the quotes is the more obvious one.

13. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Oh look, Anno Domini of all people is now not only accusing us of over analyzing, but he's trying to speak on Nolan's behalf, too.

14. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

Yeah, and a handful of others were/are telling you the opposite. What's your point, you haven't even come close to making any kind of sense.

Again, you keep saying there could be sightings, yet, Batman had vanished. I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense. That totally contradicts itself. If there were any kind of sightings(confirmed or unconfirmed), that lends itself to the possibility of Batman being around, which means, to that particular possibility, he never vanished. Either you're discounting what Blake said(which you are), or you're not making sense on purpose(which I can't tell if you are).

And what are you spelling out for me, now? So now we're not to believe the words of a character within a movie(Blake), but we're to believe your assumptions, based on no evidence whatsoever?

Ok, this right here, what does this even mean? What is your definition of "unconfirmed sighting"? Because it sounds to me like you're saying that if people don't see a sighting(which doesn't make sense), that it is unconfirmed. That's not how it works. How can someone not see a sighting? :huh:

Ummmm, sure, as long as there were no sightings(confirmed or unconfirmed) of said individual, then yes, it would make sense that someone vanished, cause once again, they were never seen again.

What is your point? "From sight": which means nobody would be able to have a sighting.

Now I'm wondering if you guys know what the definition of "sighting" is.

"So to the eye, Batman had vanished, but that may not have been the case"...."so to the eye, Batman had vanished"....."so to the eye".
    [​IMG]

15. Anno_Domini

But there is no face value of what Nolan or the film says regarding when exactly Bruce Wayne retired as Batman.

What Nolan brings up is the gap between the two films and that Bruce retired. What he mentions is the leg injury, but a leg injury where you have no cartilage is an injury that will only become worse over time and that is why it's at its worse by TDKR when he doesn't do anything for three years straight. Batman's been shot before and he has risen up in Batman Begins.

Blake says "last confirmed sighting" and what Daggett says ties up to the "confirmed sighting".

No, I've always accused you of such Joker, don't worry :cwink:

16. ThePhantasm

Trav, I think what Anno is saying is that Batman was still active... but no one saw him with their eyes while he was active. Or something.

17. Anno_Domini

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  18. ThePhantasm

Yes there is. Blake explicitly mentions the night of Dent's murder. It sets the context of the discussion. Nothing in the film implies what you are saying. A face value reading comports with what we're saying.

19. shauner111

Good Lord Trav. Are you just trolling or something?? Vanished means to disappear from sight. Meaning, if Blake or nobody has seen him for 8 years then to their knowledge and opinion, he's vanished. That doesn't mean that Batman couldn't have been out there in the shadows, never getting caught. If there was a confirmed sighting of him then Blake wouldn't be saying that he vanished. It's fairly simple dude. He says he's vanished because there hasn't been any confirmed sightings in 8 years.

20. Anno_Domini

The last confirmed sighting where he vanishes from sight. Nothing in that tells me Bruce quit that night, lol.

:up:

21. ThePhantasm

So Batman was out there in the shadows... just hiding not doing anything? What's the point of that?

If he was taking down criminals, then there were sightings, and he hadn't vanished. Why? Because Bats doesn't kill, so those criminals would still be around to tell (guess who?) the police about what happened.

Trav isn't trolling. He's being logical. You guys want an active Batman AND to have Batman "vanish" "from the eyes." Impossible.

22. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

This is getting pretty desperate. Everything in the movies points to Batman being absent for 8 years. There are numerous statements in the script to that effect, and supporting statements from the director. I'm sure we all agree that is unfortunate, but there is really no mandate for some alternative plot line to be imputed. You can reason that what everyone in the movie says is wrong, and that they just don't know the full facts. Fine, but that doesn't give you a stronger argument than it would for absolutely any other occurrence that may have happened 'off screen' between the movies.

Can anyone show me categorical evidence that Harvey Dent was meant to be dead? All we know is that everyone in TDKR said he was dead, and events stemmed from that fact. But they could have been wrong. Perhaps they just meant he died...inside.

23. Anno_Domini

If anyone cares to go to the very back....I am only saying Batman would be in the shadows watching the clean up of Gotham, and then finally retire and continue to watch from the Batcave.

Would he stick to the shadows? Yes. Because there is nothing for him to do and that's why he quit because he and Gordon "won".

But I do not believe he quit that night thinking Gotham was fine. He would watch over the city for a bit until he truly knows Gotham is safe(enter the Dent Act).

What's truly desperate is posters thinking something is of face value when it's not, haha. Nothing is clearly stamped away that Bruce Wayne quit that night but unlike some...I can say, think what you would like to believe. Let's see anyone on the other side of the fence say the same thing without any condescending remarks.

24. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

Yes, but this entire debate, and I mean, the ENTIRE debate stems from the fact of Batman sightings. How can people not see sightings?

[​IMG]

Shauner, dude, then how could there be any kind of sightings? :huh:

Even with an unconfirmed sighting, people still have to see something. Whether it is confirmed or unconfirmed is another thing entirely.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  25. ThePhantasm

Wouldn't it be easier just to watch from the Batcave to begin with? While Bats is in "the shadows" he can only survey one location at a time, unlike in TDK where he has cameras on Rachel and other people at various locations on the computer.

I honestly don't get the merits of arguing so stridently for an inactive Batman just passively sitting in the shadows for a year while he waits on Gotham to be cleaned up. I mean, who cares?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.