• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Xbox One - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah. thanks.

I was probably thinking more about in terms of NA performance, and that's why I always thought the 360 had the lead.

just curious........but at the start of the last gen race, was the gap between the 2 ever as great as the PS4 over the X1? or was it much closer?

Considering that the 360 was out a full year before the PS3, the answer would be yes. It was reported that there were 10 million units of the 360 shipped before the PS3 was available

ah. thanks.

I was probably thinking more about in terms of NA performance, and that's why I always thought the 360 had the lead.

just curious........but at the start of the last gen race, was the gap between the 2 ever as great as the PS4 over the X1? or was it much closer?
There was a good gap but then the 360 launched a year earlier!

Considering that the 360 was out a full year before the PS3, the answer would be yes. It was reported that there were 10 million units shipped before the PS3 was available

ah. but then, that's not quite comparable to this gen's situation, where both launched pretty much at the same time ( it was just a week apart, wasn't it? ).

given that, it's actually amazing that the PS4 came roaring out of the gate and built such a sizeable lead. but not unexpected, I guess, given how badly MS shot themselves in the foot.

20gb - $500
60gb - $600

499 for the 20 GB version, and 599 for the 60 GB version.

damn!! :wow:

I waited several years before getting either console, so I didn't really pay attention to their launches. But I had a vague idea that the PS3 was really expensive.

but at those prices......yeah.....I can see why the PS3 might have struggled at the beginning.

oh.....and 20 GB and 60 GB...............here we are debating whether or not 500 GB is enough.........lol.

damn!! :wow:

I waited several years before getting either console, so I didn't really pay attention to their launches. But I had a vague idea that the PS3 was really expensive.

but at those prices......yeah.....I can see why the PS3 might have struggled at the beginning.

oh.....and 20 GB and 60 GB...............here we are debating whether or not 500 GB is enough.........lol.

I remember the Xbox 360 launched with 20gb and people thought Sony was crazy for putting in a 60gb bc no one would ever need that much space. LOL, years later and 500gb is the standard

The PS3 did give you a lot of bang for your buck though, even if it was like 700 dollars with inflation.

Not only was it next gen (first to use HDMI, and rechargeable controllers) it also had a built-in PS2 and PS1. It was also the first blu-ray player you could buy for less than a thousand dollars, and it had built-in wireless.

It's a damn beast.

Whereas the original 360 just sounded like one.

The PS3 did give you a lot of bang for your buck though, even if it was like 700 dollars with inflation.

Not only was it next gen (first to use HDMI, and rechargeable controllers) it also had a built-in PS2 and PS1. It was also the first blu-ray player you could buy for less than a thousand dollars, and it had built-in wireless.

It's a damn beast.

Whereas the original 360 just sounded like one.

that's true.

I remember the Xbox 360 launched with 20gb and people thought Sony was crazy for putting in a 60gb bc no one would ever need that much space. LOL, years later and 500gb is the standard

heh......20 GB might be barely enough to hold.........one current gen game.......:o

sony is the one risking losing sales, seeing as how the halo collection is coming out and there's nothing AAA coming out on ps4 to compete with it.
While I expect the Halo Collection to sell very well, I just don't see how you consider a collection of games that range from 10 years old to be a massive selling point for the Xbox One. That would be like saying that Kingdom Hearts 1.5 or Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD were AAA games for the PS3.

Well, to be fair, it is Halo.

The main reason the Xbox brand is still around is because of Halo. It used to be called the Halo box.

It would be like the Wii U getting a 3D Mario collection. I'd buy the hell out of that.

Sony really doesn't have an equivalent.

I think it'll be huge, just for the fact that you can play H1&2 MP again. H1 was never online, and H2 shut down years ago. I can't wait for both H1&2 MP. I'm very excited for this collection.

I'm sure they'll do a bundle, but I don't think they'll do a crazy paint job, I think it'll just be a plain black with Halo bundled in. They'll probably do a crazy bundle once H5 comes out.

The X1 is out in every market that matters, primarily NA and EU. Japan and a few smaller territories isnt enough to make a significant difference. They would need to overtake Europe or NA for that to happen
so are you saying that of the 10 million, Ps4 sales are negligible outside of the western territories?
MS didn't outpace Sony last gen and they won't this gen either. I think they'll close the gap with Spencer in charge and it'll look much like it did last generation, but I don't think they'll over take Sony. It won't matter tho, both platforms will just get stronger, regardless of whose in "first"
well it took a hell of a long time for sony to catch up with microsoft last generation. i don't know if it was 2012 or 2013 that they were actually able to tie up global sales of the console.

last generation, the ps3 came out a year after the 360 and it took about 6 or 7 for it to finally catch up with its competition. there's no clear winner among them in my opinion, but this generation, both consoles launched in the same month, and one of them has a clear lead (for now). if spencer's PR helps close the gap, it can can be narrow enough to tie (like the ps3 did, and it'd be easier since they launched simultaneously).

The PS4 is doing rather poorly in Japan, mostly due to a lack of any games that appeal to Japanese audiences.

While I expect the Halo Collection to sell very well, I just don't see how you consider a collection of games that range from 10 years old to be a massive selling point for the Xbox One. That would be like saying that Kingdom Hearts 1.5 or Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD were AAA games for the PS3.
halo is the 3rd or 4th most iconic video game franchise of all time. after mario, pokemon, and maybe before or after zelda. the x1 sold 24 million consoles to date, and 8 million copies of halo 2 were sold, which means a third of x1 owners had a copy of halo 2.

not only that, but this collection is re-revamped, is it not? it includes the halo remake by 343 last generation, that's been remastered, and a remake of halo 2 which is probably considered the best in the series, and remasters of halo 3 and 4.

actually now that i think about it, since halo 2 is the only one being remade, it'll probably be the best looking game in the collection yeah?

also, this game is most famous for its multiplayer. and the collection has all the modes of its multiplayer. again, i HOPE i'm wrong and that Ps4 still comes out on top after this holiday season. but seeing as how there is nothing AAA coming out on Ps4, i just do not see that happening.
Well, to be fair, it is Halo.

The main reason the Xbox brand is still around is because of Halo. It used to be called the Halo box.

It would be like the Wii U getting a 3D Mario collection. I'd buy the hell out of that.

Sony really doesn't have an equivalent.

this.

also in all honesty, Tekken was the equivalent of halo and mario on playstation. and I say was because obviously from tekken 6 onwards those bastards decided to have a bloodline rebellion, pun intended. if you think about the most well known franchises identified with playstation from way back in the ps1 days, there were 3 classic trilogies - spyro, crash, and tekken. 2 of which franchises went multiplatform the following generation, and the third didn't, which is interesting because it was all the while, 3rd party.

when tekken 6 was still rumored to be multiplatform, you'd see comments saying things like "saying tekken is coming out on xbox is like saying halo is coming out on playstation" which isn't fully the case, but it showed how truly identified tekken was with playstation, and for so long.

that series was a huge part of my childhood. when were are all kids, my friends who didn't have a ps2 or had only a gamecube or xbox, they knew me for tekken, or vice versa. tekken was my halo. and i was seriously heartbroken when it was announced multiplatform, and still am every time a non-playstation tekken game/port is announced.

The PS3 was a disaster for Sony. I forget the exact specifics, but every unit they sold of the original PS3 model cost them several hundred dollars in loss. Only in like 2011, did they finally start making money with every console sold (and not a lot either).

They were on the verge of bankruptcy for a while. Though the PS3 wasn't the only area the company has serious issues in.

At any rate, their attempt to replicate the success of the PS2 failed spectacularly, since the blu-ray did not take off as expected. Combine that with making an overly complicated machine no one can easily work with, and they ceded a lot of ground to Microsoft and Nintendo.

I don't think Sony had anything comparable, really.

Tekken, Tomb Raider, and Crash Bandicoot had their start on the Playstation, and we identify them with it, but they are not synonymous with the brand.

I think that has been Sony's strength, to a degree. Microsoft has Halo, but that seems to be all they have. None of their other franchises approached that.

Between Killzone, God of War, Sly, Ratchet and Clank, Jak, Uncharted, Infamous, and has a lot more baskets.

I am aware that Microsoft has Fable, and Forza, but it's a short list.

I thought Tekken started in arcades, and Tomb Raider started on PC about a year before it hit PS.

The PS3 was a disaster for Sony. I forget the exact specifics, but every unit they sold of the original PS3 model cost them several hundred dollars in loss. Only in like 2011, did they finally start making money with every console sold (and not a lot either).

They were on the verge of bankruptcy for a while. Though the PS3 wasn't the only area the company has serious issues in.

At any rate, their attempt to replicate the success of the PS2 failed spectacularly, since the blu-ray did not take off as expected. Combine that with making an overly complicated machine no one can easily work with, and they ceded a lot of ground to Microsoft and Nintendo.
it was the $600 price tag that hurt them the most. how they thought people would be sheep and just follow them after Ps2 is just straight arrogant. they never should've done that. the original Ps3 shouldn't have had BC, or card readers; it should've been closer to the slim's specs, that way they could've cut costs by maybe $200 and the console could've launched for a more affordable $400 like the Ps4 did.
I don't think Sony had anything comparable, really.

Tekken, Tomb Raider, and Crash Bandicoot had their start on the Playstation, and we identify them with it, but they are not synonymous with the brand.

I think that has been Sony's strength, to a degree. Microsoft has Halo, but that seems to be all they have. None of their other franchises approached that.

Between Killzone, God of War, Sly, Ratchet and Clank, Jak, Uncharted, Infamous, and has a lot more baskets.

I am aware that Microsoft has Fable, and Forza, but it's a short list.
well yeah you're free to disagree with me but to me Tekken & gran turismo were sony's flagship franchises. tekken may have been 3rd party, but ALL of their releases were on playstation up until the release of the 6th one and tekken was synonymous with playstation up until then as well.

microsoft also has gears of war, fable, and i'm pretty sure mass effect is recognized as a xbox franchise as well (even though me2 was one of my favorite games ever on the ps3)

and none of those playstation franchises you mentioned started on ps1. one of my points was that tekken did; it was a playstation exclusive for a looooooong time, something like 15 years.

so are you saying that of the 10 million, Ps4 sales are negligible outside of the western territories?

I wouldnt say neglible but take them away and the PS4 would still be in the lead. Probably at least 80% of its sales are coming from NA/EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"