6.15 Freak - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the editing done in LA and Smallville shot in Vancuver. How can he be at the editing in LA while shooting in Canada

The editing would be done after the shoot, so he could fly down then. I think it was Tom Welling that said when he first directed, that they cant be in much of the episode just before and just after the one they direct, 'cause they need time to do all that kind of stuff.

Yeah, the post production stuff is all done in LA, but Michael would be down there for most of that, like Tom woulda been down there for post-pro on Hydro.

That explains why Tom wasn't in Justice as much as he probably shoulda been.

...This frees the writers up to move Clark forward with new stories. It's one of the things SV has gained a reputation for doing: they continually mix it up and introduce new challenges for the characters to work around, which keeps things fresh. Series that let themselves bog down in status quo lose fan interest over time.
Here's an excerpt from MediaBlvd's review of Freak. The review's closing paragraph nails it, IMHO:

MediaBlvd said:
I’ve rarely been stunned by the plot twists on “Smallville”, but the writers are very quickly breaking out of certain conventional barriers and taking the story in unusual directions. This is the best run of episodes for “Smallville” in quite some time. Even the dynamic between Clark and Lana is interesting again. That kind of creative infusion is rare for a series this long in the tooth; see “Buffy”, “X-Files”, and “Stargate SG-1” at a similar point in their respective runs, for less successful examples. I’m quite pleased with how well the season has progressed. One can only hope that the final third of the season keeps to the same standard.
Well said! :up:

anyone know if this ep is available online?

This is the primary point of contention. And yes, I KNOW I'm in a very small minority on this. I don't think it has to be counterproductive at all. I think they could go there, and make it work, without having it be the focus of the show. The whole "once they get together it's over" Moonlighting b.s. is a copout. IMO.

And because I think THIS^ will and should happen at the end of the series, having them together up until then will only make it that much more bittersweet for both characters, not to mention dramatic in terms of the overall series.
Add me to your minority. :)

I'll go one further... it would make much more sense to have THIS story end with Clark and Lana together because they have carried a torch for each other the ENTIRE time. It's been a major, ongoing plot. After 6 seasons of Clark loving Lana, for him to loose her should be considered a tragedy...

BUT I know it won't happen because there is this "future" history with Clark and Lois that is so legendary the writters will surely HAVE to bow to it eventually.

I know they tease at Clark and Lois... but it's going to be difficult to make the shift to Lois well IMO. Even the actors don't match up as well... Erica and Tom don't even "look" as good together as Kristin and Tom do... I'm not prejudiced by being entrenched in the Superman mythos... it's just what I have observed as an artist.

I'll go one further... it would make much more sense to have THIS story end with Clark and Lana together because they have carried a torch for each other the ENTIRE time. It's been a major, ongoing plot. After 6 seasons of Clark loving Lana, for him to loose her should be considered a tragedy...

BUT I know it won't happen because there is this "future" history with Clark and Lois that is so legendary the writters will surely HAVE to bow to it eventually.

I know they tease at Clark and Lois... but it's going to be difficult to make the shift to Lois well IMO. Even the actors don't match up as well... Erica and Tom don't even "look" as good together as Kristin and Tom do... I'm not prejudiced by being entrenched in the Superman mythos... it's just what I have observed as an artist.

Omg.. will you marry me?

Kidding. :) But it's really nice to know I'm not completely alone in my radical SV 'tude. :up:

i disagree here. true clark and lana have pined for each other the entire time but there relationship has been dead for a long while and we all know it was doomed anyway. Everyone is quick to compliment smallville and agree with reviewers when it is said it is original and unexpected in the plot but i would consider the whole idea of lana and clark getting back together and ending on a high very unoriginal. we all know that it would never last- even if this is elseworlds some traditions have to be maintained. To not see him lose his childhood sweetheart forever and become the 'man' he is destined to be is taking out a vital step in his character growth.

As for saying lois and clark don't have chemistry i disagree completely. i thought it was amazing during crimson and ever since she turned up i have been loving the farm boy jibes. i think lois is a much more exciting character than lana who tends to wallow in how sad her life is. For the most part lois is upbeat and fiesty and more of a leading lady than lana could hope to be. I think its time to close the book on lana and clark. have her take the role chloe has now (and get chloe the hell out:p). i'm not saying start the lois romance but its about time clark got out of these triangles and off to the fortress to train.

Even the actors don't match up as well... Erica and Tom don't even "look" as good together as Kristin and Tom do...

I don't know. I think that thought might have more to do with just seeing Tom and Kristin together for so many years in comparison to Tom and Erica.

I watched "Lucy" last night with my father, and we both agreed that the final scene between Clark and Lois really had a magnetic feel to it, in the sense that you could easily see these two getting together in the future.

It's a tough call, I think. We spent over five years on the Clark/Lana rollercoaster. Putting them back together again only to break them up again does seem pointless to me. I'd rather she find out about Clark NOW (however the writers want to do it), so the bittersweet end can happen NOW. This frees the writers up to move Clark forward with new stories.

To me this all depends on the way the end the show. I'd personally like them to get back together, with Lana knowing his secret. Then come to an understanding that his future is beyond Smallville, and that he has to go save the world. It should end on a mutual understanding, no some trivial bull.

I think the only way to do things right, would be to have them end the Lana/Clark history peacefully, and open up the future. Put things to bed, resolve the issues. Open up the new story.

-Syn

To me this all depends on the way the end the show. I'd personally like them to get back together, with Lana knowing his secret. Then come to an understanding that his future is beyond Smallville, and that he has to go save the world. It should end on a mutual understanding, no some trivial bull.

I agree and have a feeling that's exactly what they're gonna do. It's in-line with the comics lore too.

Interestingly I rewatched a few STAS episodes the other day including "My Girl" which was the episode where Supes and Lana were re-united. Lana was also with Lex at the time too.

Anyways, I can see Smallville with a similar dynamic down the road.

Nice post, avid. I agree with much of what you are saying about Lana. I hope that when she does eventually find out, we have a scene where she verbalizes to him that she didn't look at things from his perspective enough for too many years, and that she's sorry.
:(

I'm sure, but I think she'll also be completely awed when she finds out too. There was some indication of that in Freak where she commented about the bullet ricocheting "off of something pretty powerful." Plus, given her curious nature and fascination with supernatural events such as the caves, witches, ships, etc... I'd be willing to bet she'll be very keen to learn about his Kryptonian heritage.

Only reason I bring all this up is because I think this would be an exciting new direction for the show to take, especially with Chloe's fate seemingly up in the air. Not saying Lana becomes Clark's sidekick, but it'd be a refreshing new area to explore...

I'm sure, but I think she'll also be completely awed when she finds out too. There was some indication of that in Freak where she commented about the bullet ricocheting "off of something pretty powerful." Plus, given her curious nature and fascination with supernatural events such as the caves, witches, ships, etc... I'd be willing to bet she'll be very keen to learn about his Kryptonian heritage.

Only reason I bring all this up is because I think this would be an exciting new direction for the show to take, especially with Chloe's fate seemingly up in the air. Not saying Lana becomes Clark's sidekick, but it'd be a refreshing new area to explore...

I think there is some merit in what you say, and I wonder if that's why we havent seen too much of Krypton or Clark even talking about it with Chloe or anyone else that matter.

I have a feeling the conversation is being saved for Lana. Throughout the history of Smallville she has felt all alone and when she finally comes to know what Clark's history is, she's going to realise that the person she is closest to has been more alone than anyone could possibly imagine. She'll give him that sympathy and understanding that I dont think Chloe's character could have achieved. Its going to be a very touching and dramatic story to watch unfold.

Of course MM could also go down this path with him, but I dont think it will have the same effect as Clark pouring his heart out to Lana.

I think there is some merit in what you say, and I wonder if that's why we havent seen too much of Krypton or Clark even talking about it with Chloe or anyone else that matter.

I have a feeling the conversation is being saved for Lana. Throughout the history of Smallville she has felt all alone and when she finally comes to know what Clark's history is, she's going to realise that the person she is closest to has been more alone than anyone could possibly imagine. She'll give him that sympathy and understanding that I dont think Chloe's character could have achieved. Its going to be a very touching and dramatic story to watch unfold.

Of course MM could also go down this path with him, but I dont think it will have the same effect as Clark pouring his heart out to Lana.

Good post, avid!

:up:

Yeah, maybe that's where they were going all along: Lana's been feeling so alone and here's someone that's very dear to her having far more reason to feel that way...

He lost so much more than she did, but given her own history I think she is probably the one that could understand his loss the most... It would be a very touching scene when he finally tells her about that.

She lost her parents...but wait till she finds out he lost his entire race.:csad:

I respectfully disagree.

I think the real tragedy would be if clark doesn't end up with lois. Remember now that lois is the love of his life, not lana, even if he thinks she is. Even Martha KEnt hinted that in one of the episodes that maybe it's not lana is not the one that would understand him but soemone else, then lois walks in the door.

If anything, following your plot would mean that Clark should really end up with Chloe, and ending up with Lana would be the real tragedy

You make it sound so bad. There wouldn't be a show if it weren't for the "legend". They ought to bow down to it every time they write an episode, because they are creating their art from a much much bigger source. Can you imagine in Romeo and Juliet with Juliet ending up with PAris, and no one dies. You can't change a legend, even to keep it fresh.

I really disagree with you here. While i agree that it will be difficult to make the shift, it has been done before. I mean, there's no possible way you could convince me that LEx and LANA would end up together in season 6 even one year ago, let alone earlier in the series. If the writers are as good as i think they are, it shouldn't be that hard. I think Tom and Erica have a lot of chemistry together. if anything, I don't see any chemistry between lana and clark. To tell you the truth, if I had to pick, I would think CHLOE and CLARK have the most chemistry in teh show, and i think they make the best pair. Obviously, that won't work either, but watching LEXMAS, it just makes the most sense with Chloe and Clark to end up together.

(For the record, I am not a Chloe fanatic, and was hoping it was her that went out the door instead of his father. But I do like her cahracter and can see why they want to keep her on the show.)

My two cents.

With all this talk about Lana finding out about Clark's alien heritage, everyone's failed to mention the fact that Lana has run in to just as many Kryptonians as Clark (except Riva). And all of these aliens have proven to be bonafide murderers (save Clark and Riva).

Why does everyone think that Lana will so openly accept Clark after all her built up distrust for everything Alien?

With all this talk about Lana finding out about Clark's alien heritage, everyone's failed to mention the fact that Lana has run in to just as many Kryptonians as Clark (except Riva). And all of these aliens have proven to be bonafide murderers (save Clark and Riva).

Why does everyone think that Lana will so openly accept Clark after all her built up distrust for everything Alien?

Well, she knows that Clark isn't like that. She didn't know Raya, but Clark has shown how much he helps other people to her and she knows it by what she told Tobias about Clark always saving people.

Well, she knows that Clark isn't like that. She didn't know Raya, but Clark has shown how much he helps other people to her and she knows it by what she told Tobias about Clark always saving people.

Not to mention too that Clark was only a baby when he arrived on Earth. That makes his story and background completely different from the other Kryptonians that she's met.

Last year she thought that someone else had arrived during the first meteor shower but I bet she never entertained the thought that it was a toddler in the space ship.

And that just goes to show how much the show as been inconsistent. Earlier this season Lana was all for experimenting on Meteorfreaks so that Earth could be protected against alien invaders. She's spent 6+ yrs for resenting Clark for *Secrets and Lies*, even if he came out and told her, "Hey I'm from a galaxy far, far away" she probably wouldn't believe that he's being totally honest.

And that just goes to show how much the show as been inconsistent.

Ya know I'm not so sure that she was all in for experimenting on meteor freaks. I have a feeling that she said that so she could show Lex that she was on his side.

Chloe told Lana that she didnt believe Lex when he said there was no 33.1, and Lana knows that Chloe is on the ball about this sort of thing, even though she dismissed Chloe at the time. So I think her statement to Lex was all about her trying to get him to open up to her and tell her what he was doing and if 33.1 really existed.

Ya know I'm not so sure that she was all in for experimenting on meteor freaks. I have a feeling that she said that so she could show Lex that she was on his side.

Chloe told Lana that she didnt believe Lex when he said there was no 33.1, and Lana knows that Chloe is on the ball about this sort of thing, even though she dismissed Chloe at the time. So I think her statement to Lex was all about her trying to get him to open up to her and tell her what he was doing and if 33.1 really existed.

But if that theory were/is true then her whole premise for being with Lex is idiotic at best. When she left Clark she was tired of being lied to and ran into Lex's open arms because he was the one person who was open and honest with her. Knowing that he's a lieing SOB would just leave me with:huh: :huh: :huh:

But if that theory were/is true then her whole premise for being with Lex is idiotic at best. When she left Clark she was tired of being lied to and ran into Lex's open arms because he was the one person who was open and honest with her. Knowing that he's a lieing SOB would just leave me with:huh: :huh: :huh:

Her relationship with Clark left her jaded, which she has mentioned several times, so she's still questioning the truth even though she believes Lex is being totally honest with her.

The thing with Lex though is he's so great at lying, that she just cant tell. He's uses lines like "on the soul of my unborn child". I mean, who would be comfortable in saying something like that and yet he does and he's lying.

She always knew when Clark was lying, because lying doesnt come easily to him so she could spot it a mile away.

Her relationship with Clark left her jaded, which she has mentioned several times, so she's still questioning the truth even though she believes Lex is being totally honest with her.

The thing with Lex though is he's so great at lying, that she just cant tell. He's uses lines like "on the soul of my unborn child". I mean, who would be comfortable in saying something like that and yet he does and he's lying.

She always knew when Clark was lying, because lying doesnt come easily to him so she could spot it a mile away.

LOL, yeah Clark is the world's worst Liar. My all-time favorite is right after Adam Knight fired the shotgun at Lana, Clark superspeeds clear across town in a fraction of a second to save her. Lana knowing that she was just talking to him on the phone ask "How'd you get here so fast"

"Um... it took me longer then a couple of seconds to get here Lana. The important thing is that you're safe" I love that scene just for the awesomeness and ridiculousness at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"