6.15 Freak - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

LOL, yeah Clark is the world's worst Liar. My all-time favorite is right after Adam Knight fired the shotgun at Lana, Clark superspeeds clear across town in a fraction of a second to save her. Lana knowing that she was just talking to him on the phone ask "How'd you get here so fast"

"Um... it took me longer then a couple of seconds to get here Lana. The important thing is that you're safe" I love that scene just for the awesomeness and ridiculousness at the same time.

:woot: I think he also said that it may have had something to do with the weird time anomaly. It was a priceless moment.

I wonder if now that she's a little more on to Clark, that she'll look back and reflect on moments like that.

With all this talk about Lana finding out about Clark's alien heritage, everyone's failed to mention the fact that Lana has run in to just as many Kryptonians as Clark (except Riva). And all of these aliens have proven to be bonafide murderers (save Clark and Riva).

Why does everyone think that Lana will so openly accept Clark after all her built up distrust for everything Alien?

Because she already did.

Reckoning was well after her witnessing the aliens murder all those cops. Clark clearly told her the he was an alien, and she accepted him.

Regarding her telling Lex that she supported researching ways to defend the earth against aliens: that always made sense to me. If you had an encounter with aliens that showed them to be violent murderers of humankind, I would think anyone would want to some kind of defense against them. Once she finds out (and REMEMBERS) that Clark is also an alien, her eyes will be open to the concept that the aliens are not unlike humans in that they come in all extremes.

Lex should have taught Clark how to lie before their relationship went to hell :ninja:

...Once she finds out (and REMEMBERS) that Clark is also an alien...
You mean based on Reckoning? How is she going to remember something that never happened? (From her POV)

Regarding her telling Lex that she supported researching ways to defend the earth against aliens: that always made sense to me. If you had an encounter with aliens that showed them to be violent murderers of humankind, I would think anyone would want to some kind of defense against them. Once she finds out (and REMEMBERS) that Clark is also an alien, her eyes will be open to the concept that the aliens are not unlike humans in that they come in all extremes.

You mean based on Reckoning? How is she going to remember something that never happened? (From her POV)

No, I'm talking about this timeline, when she finds out that Clark is an alien, she will realize that the aliens she previously saw (Namek and Aethyr) aren't representative of ALL aliens.

Until then, her experience with aliens has shown them to be evil beings with no regard for human life.

No, I'm talking about this timeline, when she finds out that Clark is an alien, she will realize that the aliens she previously saw (Namek and Aethyr) aren't representative of ALL aliens.

Until then, her experience with aliens has shown them to be evil beings with no regard for human life.

That's exactly why Lana or Lex have yet to suspect that Clark is an Alien. As much as Lex may hate or envy Clark, he knows that Clark highly values the lives of others and would sacrifice his own life to save someone else.

True but since then she also met up with the nastiest of Kryptonians.....ZOD. From her perspective aliens are just menaces who need to be destroyed. Plus a lot has changed since Reckoning. Clark and Lana have been through a lot since then. Even in Reckoning Lana didn't immediately warm up to the fact that Clark was an alien. And they never really delved in the fact that he indirectly killed her parents, The one true reason why he was so afraid to tell her.

Gotcha. When you said, "once Lana remembers," it implied she once knew something she forgot [that Clark is also an alien.] I misunderstood. :D

I actually hope Clark tells her about the timeline that wasn't. Maybe he can tell her about her "Death" and she'll understand why he changed his mind like he did.

I actually hope Clark tells her about the timeline that wasn't. Maybe he can tell her about her "Death" and she'll understand why he changed his mind like he did.

I think it would be great if he did, but I would understand if he didn't...

I thought he woulda mentioned something about it to her it in Crimson, but he didn't. I guess he can't without really explaining how the AI version of his alien biological father helped him reverse time...

I dont think her agreeing with Lex about experimenting on alien technology was ever a big question, for the reasons you stated. I fully support her there.

Originally, BlkSupes and I were talking about experimenting on FOTWs, and how she said she would go along with Lex if that's what he's doing and now all of a sudden she's done an about face, because of her growing suspicions about Clark.

I thought perhaps that she wasnt necessarily agreeing with Lex on FOTW experimentation but merely going along with him to get him to come clean with her. I could very well see her doing that, at that point in time.

I dont think Clark would ever tell her that. For one he wouldnt want her to feel responsible for his Dad dying instead of her, and I also think that he wouldnt want to put such a painful event/memory on her shoulders.

If anyone is going to tell her, in my opinion it will be Chloe. And I hope she does, 'cause I think Lana needs to know that it happened.

Gotcha. When you said, "once Lana remembers," it implied she once knew something she forgot [that Clark is also an alien.] I misunderstood. :D
Actually, what I said was: Once she finds out (and REMEMBERS) .
The part in parentheses was supposed to be a joke referencing my Reckoning bitterness. My jokes don't always go over so well. :( ;)

I dont think her agreeing with Lex about experimenting on alien technology was ever a big question, for the reasons you stated. I fully support her there.

Originally, BlkSupes and I were talking about experimenting on FOTWs, and how she said she would go along with Lex if that's what he's doing and now all of a sudden she's done an about face, because of her growing suspicions about Clark.

You can probably refresh my memory since you are much better at remembering these things than I am. I remember her agreeing with Lex about doing whatever research he needed to do to stop the aliens, but I don't remember her condoning him researching meteor mutants. It is a fairly big distinction too. Is there a specific scene and/or dialogue that you can cite for me? I feel like I'm missing a piece here. :confused:

You can probably refresh my memory since you are much better at remembering these things than I am. I remember her agreeing with Lex about doing whatever research he needed to do to stop the aliens, but I don't remember her condoning him researching meteor mutants. It is a fairly big distinction too. Is there a specific scene and/or dialogue that you can cite for me? I feel like I'm missing a piece here. :confused:

Sure I can. At the end of Static (the episode that most want to forget ;) )

Lex took her and Chloe to look at the empty 33.1 facility saying that it never existed and that it was all in Static Guy's mind. Chloe and Lana have a little altercation as to its existence.

Then later back at the mansion Lana tells Lex that if it were true, if he was experimenting on Freaks, she could understand, because of the weird and dangerous stuff that they've done.

But I was thinking that she fed him that line because she was fishing for the truth, not so much that she actually would have gone along with what he was doing.

But I was thinking that she fed him that line because she was fishing for the truth, not so much that she actually would have gone along with what he was doing.

Me too! I honestly have felt all along that Lana is playing in the Luthor games trying to find out what Lex is honestly up to. I don't think she's only there to "protect Lex from himself" as she once mentioned to Lionel. I think Lana has always been a bit suspicious of Lex (and has always held Clark close to her heart).

Me too! I honestly have felt all along that Lana is playing in the Luthor games trying to find out what Lex is honestly up to. I don't think she's only there to "protect Lex from himself" as she once mentioned to Lionel. I think Lana has always been a bit suspicious of Lex (and has always held Clark close to her heart).

And its interesting too, that there have been no scenes between Lex, Lana and Lionel. How much more conversation was involved between Lionel and Lana when she went to see him at his office?

I only became aware of that after Gough mentioned it in his TV Guide Q/A's.

Lex took her and Chloe to look at the empty 33.1 facility saying that it never existed and that it was all in Static Guy's mind. Chloe and Lana have a little altercation as to its existence.

Then later back at the mansion Lana tells Lex that if it were true, if he was experimenting on Freaks, she could understand, because of the weird and dangerous stuff that they've done.

I'm sorry but, to me, it sounded as if she was reassuring him that she really wouldn't have a problem with it. And after all her crying and declaration of love to Lex, and after her refusal to listen to Chloe's suspicions, Lana sounded very sincere to me when she said that line to Lex. People can always speculate as to the real motivations of a character, of course, but I couldn't see any indication whatsoever that she was "playing Lex", and neither could the many viewers who are wondering about Lana's change of mind on the subject and explaining it by her finding out that Clark could be a meteor freak too.

I'm sorry but, to me, it sounded as if she was reassuring him that she really wouldn't have a problem with it. And after all her crying and declaration of love to Lex, and after her refusal to listen to Chloe's suspicions, Lana sounded very sincere to me when she said that line to Lex. People can always speculate as to the real motivations of a character, of course, but I couldn't see any indication whatsoever that she was "playing Lex", and neither could the many viewers who are wondering about Lana's change of mind on the subject and explaining it by her finding out that Clark could be a meteor freak too.

I dont think she's playing Lex, because I dont think that's part of her character. What I do think is, that she's being a little more cautious. She's been burned before and doesnt want to make the same mistakes.

She trusts Chloe, more than she trusts anyone. Chloe was skeptical about Lex's declaration that 33.1 never existed. Lana was wanting to stand by her man and defend him. However, that doesnt preclude her from trying to seek the real truth from him when they were alone.

She trusts Chloe, more than she trusts anyone. Chloe was skeptical about Lex's declaration that 33.1 never existed. Lana was wanting to stand by her man and defend him. However, that doesnt preclude her from trying to seek the real truth from him when they were alone.

...Or from wanting him to know that she shared his concerns abour meteor freaks and that she agreed with him that they should do whatever was needed to protect themselves, and others, from them. In this case, I go with what she said, not with what she might, or might not, be trying to achieve by saying it.

I knew you'd come through. You're like my personal SV wikipedia. ;)

I do remember that, but not the specifics. I guess I'll have to rewatch it. Not my favorite episode, but I didn't hate it as much as most people.

Thanks. :D

To me this all depends on the way the end the show. I'd personally like them to get back together, with Lana knowing his secret. Then come to an understanding that his future is beyond Smallville, and that he has to go save the world. It should end on a mutual understanding, no some trivial bull.

I think the only way to do things right, would be to have them end the Lana/Clark history peacefully, and open up the future. Put things to bed, resolve the issues. Open up the new story.

-Syn

That would be a very nice way to end things, and I'd be happy with that - if they can keep Lana from getting whiny and paranoid most of the time.

Last ep could be him saying goodbye (a pretty final goodbye) to Lana and heading off to in Metropolis, where we (the audience) know Lois is waiting for him. He doesn't necessarily have to know she's waiting...

I have a feeling the conversation is being saved for Lana. Throughout the history of Smallville she has felt all alone and when she finally comes to know what Clark's history is, she's going to realise that the person she is closest to has been more alone than anyone could possibly imagine. She'll give him that sympathy and understanding that I dont think Chloe's character could have achieved. Its going to be a very touching and dramatic story to watch unfold.

A very good point, Avid. Hadn't thought of that. If that's where all of this is headed, it would be satisfying to see it work out that way (until it's time for Clark to be with Lois in the next chapter, of course).

...Or from wanting him to know that she shared his concerns abour meteor freaks and that she agreed with him that they should do whatever was needed to protect themselves, and others, from them. In this case, I go with what she said, not with what she might, or might not, be trying to achieve by saying it.

Sure, it was said and most likely to be taken at face value but there really isnt any precedent for her to have such an utter dislike for all things meteor freaked.

She loved Evan like he was her own child, so she has been shown to have compassion for meteor freaks.

At the time Static aired, my thoughts were exactly what yours are, but watching the rest of the season unfold and watching Lana's character when she interacts with Lex, I now think that she was fishing for the truth.

Serene said:
I knew you'd come through. You're like my personal SV wikipedia. ;)

I do remember almost everything that happens and even alot of the wording within a scene, but you'll need Pat to quote them verbatim for you. :cwink:

You're welcome. Let me know what you think after you've watched it.

A very good point, Avid. Hadn't thought of that. If that's where all of this is headed, it would be satisfying to see it work out that way (until it's time for Clark to be with Lois in the next chapter, of course).

They're going to have to be careful with both girls knowing the secret, that they dont tread on each other's toes.

However, I think Chloe helps Clark to embrace the hero within him, and Lana will help him by encouraging him to preserve the humanity that makes him so special.

Of course all the while, Clark is capable of this himself, but its nice to see friends on his side being positive about the choices that he makes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"