BvS Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - - - - - - - - Part 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should say that the solo movie will be quite different to BvS, as the latter has an extended riff on The Dark Knight Returns worked into a number of competing plot points. I quite like the notion of a redeemed Batman as opposed to a purely idealistic one, but we'll see.

I very much doubt there will be a 'soft reboot' with Suicide Squad coming down the line made up of villains captured without killing by Batman.

^ I think it would be great if Ben Affleck made sure that his Batman has a new no-kill code, and showed him grieving for being responsible for his kills. Like maybe have a database of the people he killed, and say something like "I can't do this anymore, Alfred."

"Then don't."

I'd really love it if Batfleck became the nondeadly comic Batman.
Would make for an interesting change of pace from what we've been getting since adam west. Especially if he pause to acknowledge what he's done(in a prior film). On ward

gonna leave this here , just for the record(they missed a few)
[YT]psVIG7YvdjM[/YT]

The way people talk it's as though batman went full john wick with the double tapping and all. Having finally seen jw recently.

I don't think Batman has ever been truly idealistic Reg. But at his core he wants to stop any other kid feeling the way he did when his parents were killed and he doesn't want to see anyone die. We can argue until the cows come home about how unrealistic this is and heroes kill in other movies. But the point with Superman and Batman is that they should be mythic and inspiring on a level that no Marvel character could ever reach. I hold them to a higher standard and goddamnit it I want a director and screenwriter who holds them up to that standard as well.

^ I think it would be great if Ben Affleck made sure that his Batman has a new no-kill code, and showed him grieving for being responsible for his kills. Like maybe have a database of the people he killed, and say something like "I can't do this anymore, Alfred."

"Then don't."

I'd really love it if Batfleck became the nondeadly comic Batman.

Worked for Green Arrow on the CW show.

I don't think Batman has ever been truly idealistic Reg. But at his core he wants to stop any other kid feeling the way he did when his parents were killed and he doesn't want to see anyone die. We can argue until the cows come home about how unrealistic this is and heroes kill in other movies. But the point with Superman and Batman is that they should be mythic and inspiring on a level that no Marvel character could ever reach. I hold them to a higher standard and goddamnit it I want a director and screenwriter who holds them up to that standard as well.
I can agree with this. I can also appreciate that it highlights the clear difference between preference and quality.

Also, that bit about stopping any other kid from having their parents die, takes me back to how much dug the save martha plot point.

I get that, but TDKR does stand like a monolith casting is shadow over the Batman mythos, and it became clear early on that this movie would draw upon it. I know there is much more to Batman than jaded brutality, but I do not object to that particular elephant in the room being shot and stuffed, allowing things to move on.

I can agree with this. I can also appreciate that it highlights the clear difference between preference and quality.

Also, that bit about stopping any other kid from having their parents die, takes me back to how much dug the save martha plot point.

Yes, that was surprising and rather touching.

Would you be happy if they did that or would the killing always cloud this batman for you?

I'm afraid it would :( I'm a staunch believer in the no kill rule. It's one of the main cornerstones of Batman's brilliance, and one of the reasons the character is the most popular comic book character IMO.

But hey, that's my issue. If that's the road they'll go down, I'll be there watching it along with the rest of you regardless :)

I get that, but TDKR does stand like a monolith casting is shadow over the Batman mythos, and it became clear early on that this movie would draw upon it. I know there is much more to Batman than jaded brutality, but I do not object to that particular elephant in the room being shot and stuffed, allowing things to move on.

You're right on this. TDKR has been done to death. Let's have something different.

I get that, but TDKR does stand like a monolith casting is shadow over the Batman mythos, and it became clear early on that this movie would draw upon it. I know there is much more to Batman than jaded brutality, but I do not object to that particular elephant in the room being shot and stuffed, allowing things to move on
I hope so. There are two trends in recent tent pole movies that I dislike.
1) the villain along himself to be captured to further his evil plot (The Avengers, STID, Skyfall). I let TDK off with this as it was relatively novel at the time and it's also a goddamn fantastic film.
2) and to my point... Reboots of popular characters (James Bond, Star Trek, MOS) that spend the origin movie getting us to a point where the character is recognisable with the traits we're used to seeing that then SPENDS SUBSEQUENT MOVIES DOING THE SAME GODDAMN THING. Kirk was still learning in STID, the Bond series has spent four movies deconstructing the character, and the Superman of BVS was still the unsure unsmiling mopey guy from MOS.
So I pray to God that yes, the elephant is shot and stuffed because I do not want to see another Batman movie that regards the Frank Miller books as the final word on the character. Move on! Take inspiration from Morrison! Snyder! O'Neil! TAS!

Yes, that was surprising and rather touching.

This is the only KILL in TDKR, and even that is up for debate.
4doqHua.png

I'm afraid it would :( I'm a staunch believer in the no kill rule. It's one of the main cornerstones of Batman's brilliance, and one of the reasons the character is the most popular comic book character IMO.

But hey, that's my issue. If that's the road they'll go down, I'll be there watching it along with the rest of you regardless :)

The doesn't bother me too much but I get where you're coming from. I would have preferred they not do it because it seemed to be that way from the prequel comics and the suicide squad thing. Sorry you feel that way. Also sorry if I came off annoyed with you in the thread I just really liked Batfleck and felt like this was dominating everything.

The doesn't bother me too much but I get where you're coming from. I would have preferred they not do it because it seemed to be that way from the prequel comics and the suicide squad thing. Sorry you feel that way. Also sorry if I came off annoyed with you in the thread I just really liked Batfleck and felt like this was dominating everything.

No worries dude :up: I never take offence, never mean offence :)

I don't think a competent scriptwriter really needs to adhere to the work of any particular comic book writer. The familiar elements of the Batman mythos, presented with tact and confidence, speak for themselves. They are remarkably popular for good reason. Tim Burton probably got the freeist swing of the bat and, for their all their faults, his movies probably still stab into the richest throbbing vein of Batman's surrounding atmosphere.

Nitpicking now but the voice modulator didn't impress me. It got pretty ridiculous towards the end. I couldn't really stand it throughout a entire movie.

If the Bale gruff voice was too much, then they should just suspend disbelief and go the Keaton and Conroy route.

Last edited:
Eh, I found it simpler and less preposterous than Nrngh Brratt Vyoish.

Maybe if he had more scenes interrogating criminals with it. But it just felt silly when he was speaking to superman and alfred with it.

I didn't care for it either. He sounded like a robot.

Maybe if he had more scenes interrogating criminals with it. But it just felt silly when he was speaking to superman and alfred with it.

Well, he wasn't particularly friendly with Superman outside the last few scenes. It wasn't as perplexing as his hoarse, shouty discussion about rail layouts with Jim Gordon in BB. But so what, eh.

Yeah it just seems less powerful when he's relying on a clear gadget to be more intimidating.

Batman relies in all kinds of gadgets to be more intimidating. I wasn't aware that made him less powerful, on the contrary.

Yeah it just seems less powerful when he's relying on a clear gadget to be more intimidating.

All Batman does is use gadgets to be more intimidating. Batsuit, smoke, grapel guns, batarangs, batmobile etc etc

I seriously thought I was going to hate it, but I really liked the voice. He sounded demonic, without having to strain his voice. I thought it was good. I also liked when he was gasping for breath when he was fighting Superman. There was something about it that I liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"