The Avengers The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
$67 million Friday ($150+ million weekend) means real good right?

What were the "projected" numbers analyst were predicting looked like last week?

A couple weeks ago it was tracking about $125+ million opening weekend.

It's good. However it's the Sunday drop that'll be the most telling. Estimated it does about $50M on Friday(excluding midnights) and Saturday increases from that to maybe $55M that'd be $68M+$55M for $123M in two days. It'd have to drop like a stone down to a $27M Sunday to "only" make a $150M weekend. It's absolutely NOT going to drop that huge. It might go down to $40-45M on Sunday for a OW total of $163-168M and that could easily put it in reach of the record and maybe $170M when the actuals come in.

Seeing all these huge box office numbers and that record-breaking (well, for a superhero movie) midnight opening has me feeling positively giddy. :woot:

[YT]59fPX4CAQwk[/YT]

I have a feeling this movie will surpass the $1 Billion mark in the worldwide box-office!

All I know is, this little boy walked out of the theater and said "I'm Thor"!

Out of all of the Avengers the little rascal wanted to be Thor, I almost walked up to the boy and gave him a dollar.

I'm sure his mother would've been a bit hesitant about a strange black man handing her son money though. :oldrazz:

:woot:

TA by the end of the weekend will nearly be at or even possibly have already passed THG's WW gross which has been out for a month and a half. TA will have done it in about 10 days.

why was avatar such a massive box office success compared to all these other movies?

cannot just be the 3D now, because all movies are 3D

for some reason cameron made two massive movies that people just flock to go and see again and again

not even the potters, pirates or transformers can compete with cameron's two epics

Cameron sold his soul to the devil to have that effect. At least, that's the best I can come up with.

Yeah, and all Mephisto wanted in return was to erase Cameron's marriage to Kathryn Bigelow. ;)

why was avatar such a massive box office success compared to all these other movies?

that's easy

1. you make the movie appeal to women with a strong female protagonist.
if you aim a movie at men you are preaching to the choir, guys are going to watch a cameron movie regardless.

2. success goes to success.
women went to avatar because they absolutely loved titanic. men went because of aliens and the terminator movies.

3. 3D
not because of the more expensive ticket prices (but that certainly helped) but because the 3D looked freaking amazing. WOM spread like wildfire that this movie had to be seen specifcally because it looked so amazed.
3 years on and no other movie comes close with regards to the visually stunning 3D.

add all of that up and you have the most successful movie of all time and I wouldn't bet against avatar 2 topping avatar at the box office.

Cameron does epic romance better than anyone else.

AV2 won't beat Avatar. The novelty is gone.

AV2 won't beat Avatar. The novelty is gone.

no one game avatar a prayer of beating titanic but it not only beat it it blow it out of the freaking water (no pun intended).

no one game avatar a prayer of beating titanic but it not only beat it it blow it out of the freaking water (no pun intended).
It wouldn't have if it had been in 2D. Take away the groundbreaking use of 3D and Avatar is unremarkable. Still an entertaining movie, but nothing special.

It wouldn't have if it had been in 2D. Take away the groundbreaking use of 3D and Avatar is unremarkable. Still an entertaining movie, but nothing special.
That's how I see Avatar. The story is very familiar from other movies, especially Dances with Wolves, since it's a person from one race/group joining another and identifying with them to fight the oppressors of their old group.

$67 million Friday ($150+ million weekend) means real good right?

What were the "projected" numbers analyst were predicting looked like last week?

If the number is on target, it puts Avengers at #4-#6 all time for a Friday b.o. The records:

1) HP Hallows 2: $91 mil
2) Twilight New Moon: $72.1
3) Twilight BD 1: $71.6
4) THG: $67.2
5) TDK: $67.1
6) HP Hallows 1: $61.6
7) Spidey 3: $59.8
8) POTC: DMC: $55.8
9) IM2: $51.2
10) XM3: $45.1

Projection has raised to 70M, although Midnight was readjusted to 18.1M, however apparently AMC's credit card system is down, due to huge last minute influx of ticket buying, and that's screwing up some of the estimates.

should be right around 160 for the weekend with the record in play.

Projection has raised to 70M, although Midnight was readjusted to 18.1M, however apparently AMC's credit card system is down, due to huge last minute influx of ticket buying, and that's screwing up some of the estimates.

should be right around 160 for the weekend with the record in play.

What? Midnight is now adjusted to 18.1 mil only? :dry: That would mean TDK still holds the record for superhero movies then.

Oh well, OW is the key and I hope TA will make more than 160 mil when the final figures are out.

I wouldn't worry about the record too much, it'll be broken in a couple of months anyway.

What? Midnight is now adjusted to 18.1 mil only? :dry: That would mean TDK still holds the record for superhero movies then.

Oh well, OW is the key and I hope TA will make more than 160 mil when the final figures are out.

That's still an excellent number. May is a horrible time for midnight releases. Really you have to compare this movie to other May releases, like IM2, Spider-man 1 and 3, etc.

That's still an excellent number. May is a horrible time for midnight releases. Really you have to compare this movie to other May releases, like IM2, Spider-man 1 and 3, etc.

I wish I would've been able to go to the midnight screening; maybe my $10 would've made a world of difference. :o

But as long TA can break TDK's OW record I'm okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"