The Avengers The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed but it does stand a better chance domestically than WW.

Hasn't it reached a billion quicker than Avatar? If it has it has a great chance of beating it

The problem is that DCE/WB could've been doing this for years but they never make the effort. Whatever that's all I have to say.

$1 billion worldwide now. $1.5 billion is possible IMHO.

another thing, will the avengers making over 1 billion and 500 domestic being a lock and high gross overseas affect the grosses of the next iron man, thor, CA, and (mabye if they decide to) hulk or no?
I'm sure the newer movies will be more popular now, but I don't think they'll do TA-numbers.

The same with TDKR, as in I don't think it'll do TDK-numbers. It'll still do great, and it'll be a good movie, I just don't see it being a cultural phenomenon like TDK and TA were/are.

The problem is that DCE/WB could've been doing this for years but they never make the effort. Whatever that's all I have to say.

$1 billion worldwide now. $1.5 billion is possible IMHO.

What is wrong with you? You normally come in with the most negative opinion ever. What have you done with Vile?

As far as BO, I can see this movie doing $1.5B easily. I'm hoping that it can reach $2B but it depends on how long Disney leaves it in theaters. Or they can re-release it like WB did TDK. But there's no question this movie will get $1.5B there's no comp out til MIB. Battleship looks so meh plus Rihanna sucks, and not in the good way. :o

there is no way it will reach 2 billion, i can see it reaching 1.7B though, but it might fall, at the least it will get around 1.4B

I'm sure the newer movies will be more popular now, but I don't think they'll do TA-numbers.

The same with TDKR, as in I don't think it'll do TDK-numbers. It'll still do great, and it'll be a good movie, I just don't see it being a cultural phenomenon like TDK and TA were/are.

I don't know man. I can see all of Marvel's individual movies doing the same numbers as before. Avengers 2 will do great, but as far as individual franchises? I'm just not sure. But with Disney officially having their name on all of Marvel's movies from this point forward, you never know. The house of mouse is not only evil but it knows how to promote movies and it's characters.

there is no way it will reach 2 billion, i can see it reaching 1.7B though, but it might fall, at the least it will get around 1.4B

Time will tell remember its only been out less than 3 weeks WW.

It's already at $1billion? o_o Wohoo! Go Avengers!

another thing, will the avengers making over 1 billion and 500 domestic being a lock and high gross overseas affect the grosses of the next iron man, thor, CA, and (mabye if they decide to) hulk or no?
At the very least there should be no problem with awareness this time round. Avengers is as good a marketing tool as the individual characters could wish for.

Hasn't it reached a billion quicker than Avatar? If it has it has a great chance of beating it

Well it's tied with Avatar(and HP8) in the fastest to $1B WW(all 3 at 19 days) and while I totally think TA can curb stomp HP8's WW gross now, Avatar was released in a time that allowed it to run wild all winter with very little competition. TA faces summer months and substantially more competition(even though May is quite weak this year). It should end still well shy of Avatar's WW gross by about at least a billion $. Domestic though it may only come up shy of Avatar by $100M and since that so much closer is why I said beating Avatar domestic is far easier than WW.

So um...how much of a bonus is Whedon going to get off of this?

I'm sure all involved have a clause in their contracts that say if the film makes x amount of $ over a certain point they get a certain percentage of the total and thus the more it makes the higher their paychecks go. They'll all make plenty bank on this.

Avengers already at 1 billion.
Any doubts about the future of the MCU on screen is dispelled.
I so look forward to future phases of marvel movies.
Imagine what can come next.

i just want this to beat HPDH2 record i don't care if it makes 1.5 i just want it to beat that movie

Its even more sweet because last year there was a lot of talk that the general audience were starting to grow tired of superhero movies. Eventhough movies like Xmen First Class and Captain America were critically acclaimed, their box office grosses weren't anything to write home about. I think Avengers has proved that the appetite for superheroes is very much still alive and kicking.

Its even more sweet because last year there was a lot of talk that the general audience were starting to grow tired of superhero movies. Eventhough movies like Xmen First Class and Captain America were critically acclaimed, their box office grosses weren't anything to write home about. I think Avengers has proved that the appetite for superheroes is very much still alive and kicking.
Those are groundwork films like Batman Begins. They've paved the way for better returns in their sequels.

i just want this to beat HPDH2 record i don't care if it makes 1.5 i just want it to beat that movie

Honestly after looking at the numbers I'd say beating HP8 is a lock. And I'm starting tothink $600M DOM is a lock as well. It'll pass $400M DOM on Thursday. It'll pass $500M DOM Memorial Day weekend when MIB3 comes out. And it'll still be May. June with it's no-school days advantage will still be waiting in the wings. After Memorial Day weekend I'd say TA still has at least anothe $100M in the gas tank domestically. It only needs another $150M OS from now until then and we'll have it at $1.4B.

And the great thing about HP8 is that inflation is virtually negligible and it also had 3-D so there won't be any difficulty in comparing attendance.

I'm going to be semi-conservative and say it will barely beat TDK domestically (remember, TDK had the advantage of legs a weak August allows). Men in Black III, Prometheus and other films coming up in Late May/ early June will dip into it's repeat viewings.

I'm going to say Avengers has $180 M left in the tank for both Foreign and Domestic markets, bringing it to a barely beating Potter (but still getting the job done) $1,360,000,000. I don't see much higher than $800 Million foreign. Not this time around anyway. :woot:

Those are groundwork films like Batman Begins. They've paved the way for better returns in their sequels.

I could see this with X-men, but do you think Captain America has enough "oopmh/juice" to be a big thing? Seems to me like Cap's franchise will always be solid, but nothing spectacular. I think its just the nature of the character.

My 3rd showing in XTG / IMAX 3D was about 50% full, but that was Friday night at 10:15 pm in IMAX 3D (must see).

We sat next to a family with 3 boys, and they were loving it!

All 3 boys probabaly between 7 to 11 years old kept hollering that their mom kept telling them to shush! One boy was Thor, one was Hulk, and one was Iron Man as their favorite, and when one of the heroes did something cool, they would showboat it off to the other 2 of his brothers.

It's all good!

I don't think this movie was good for little kids. Not because it was scary,but it took a while to get into the action. It wasn't like Transformer or etc.

It would need to drop only 34% to match Avatar for the weekend #3 record. Tough but not impossible. I'm going to say it falls a little harder than that(maybe 40%) but it should be able to pull in $60M this weekend(and trounce Battleship by staying #1).

Battleship should open in the $40M's or $50M's at most.

What do you guys predict it'll rack up domestically overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"