The Avengers The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woot! I'm so happy that I was proved wrong in my prediction (900M WW), because although I wanted it to move pass 1B I didn't want to jinx it. I'm ecstatic for Marvel, Disney, Whedon, and everyone involved in this milestone.

But a movie like this doing what it is doing at the Box Office. Is a sight to behold. Especially at a time when Hollywood is trying to get control of the Internet
Yeah it definitely is but they will argue you have to look at how average films are doing rather than the very biggest. Time will tell. I can imagine a lot of people pirating the likes of Dark Shadows/Battleship for eg rather than paying to watch it. Or maybe not even bothering with that :woot:

Wait, the weekend is not yet over in the US right? Is it still possible that the numbers will increase?

It could also go down, but I think it's safe to say it had a $100 million+ weekend.

Damn, that's amazing. :up:

Yeah it definitely is but they will argue you have to look at how average films are doing rather than the very biggest. Time will tell. I can imagine a lot of people pirating the likes of Dark Shadows/Battleship for eg rather than paying to watch it. Or maybe not even bothering with that :woot:

There is a reason though. Because people did not ask for or more then likely just do not want to see those movies. Big Event movie or not. The Avengers is something plenty of people wanted to see. Hollywood needs to learn the differences

There is a reason though. Because people did not ask for or more then likely just do not want to see those movies. Big Event movie or not. The Avengers is something plenty of people wanted to see. Hollywood needs to learn the differences
I'd be quite happy if Hollywood started making less films so all the derivative, uninspired drivel would miss the cut.

I assumed Avengers would make 1B worldwide but never thought it would do it this quickly -- even with the early international release. This film is a true juggernaut.

I think this is pretty much a lock at this point to be the biggest superhero movie ever domestically -- the only question is where it will end up in tickets sold (i.e. factoring in inflation and 3d prices).

Yeah it definitely is but they will argue you have to look at how average films are doing rather than the very biggest. Time will tell. I can imagine a lot of people pirating the likes of Dark Shadows/Battleship for eg rather than paying to watch it. Or maybe not even bothering with that

Funny thing is, I know some people who do watch movies on the internet, and if they really like a movie, they will go see it again in the theater. So, in this case, the bootlegs worked in favor for the theaters/studios.

I also want to make a note of something, I was realizing this last Wednesday. When I went to the marathon, it was held inside a mall. Malls generally close at about 9:00, or at least the stores do. But, with the all of the people that The Avengers brought, it also brought in customers, by the droves, to the nearby restaurants and coffee houses. So, I like to look at it, as The Avengers is also stimulating the economy for a bit. Not too shabby for a mere comic book movie.

In the case of Battleship. If that tanks Domestically. The Studios have nothing but themselves to blame. Due to the one month delay. Between International & Domestic. They can not blame that one on piracy. But themselves

Last edited:
Avengers 3 will kill it overseas. Overseas audiences awareness sometimes doesn't kick in until you get to sequels.

Avengers 2 will do the job overseas, since before Avengers 2 there will be sequels to each of the major Marvel Characters(Thor, Iron Man, Captain America.) So, I think that will augment the overseas interest for Avengers and hopefully that will finally lead to a foreign gross of $1 billion+ for a superhero title or let's just say a non-Cameron film.

In the case of Battleship. If that tanks Domestically. The Studios have nothing but themselves to blame. Due to the one month delay. Between International & Domestic. They can not blame that one on piracy. But themselves

agreed. not to mention that Universal looks to have instructed Berg to go the Bay/Transformers way with more flash than substance. When that one guy has that line about 50 ships or 500 hundred thousand doing this in the trailer, that line just didnt work. Plus the trailers keep showing the same footage a lot. I think I will wait until Battleship is on HBO to watch it.

What did Nick Fury say about all worlds knowing about the Avengers? Pandora certainly got the memo!

The numbers are just incredible, wow :wow: and i have to go see it again soon so :cwink::woot:

My God, a billion in 19 days??!! What was the billion record before this? Because goddamn, this has exceeded all my expectations. Should have listened to my friend at college.

I would have never expected it to be this huge. God, I'm loving this.

This is what I was hoping for the entire time, but was to afraid to say I expected it to happen. Well done Marvel.

Wow, not only was TA the only film to ever break the $200 million OW mark, but it was also the only film to ever go over $100 million in its second weekend...amazing.

It totally deserves it. It's a film that I can enjoy multiple amounts of times, and come out happy every time.

Congratulations to Whedon and Marvel :up:.

I would have never expected it to be this huge. God, I'm loving this.
This is me exactly. I voted $800m total on the prediction poll, and I gotta tell ya, crow never tasted this good. :woot:

^^Agreed, I also predicted 800 million, glad I was waaay off.

Congratulations to Whedon and Marvel :up:.
If only you knew how happy everyone is with the results and the overall presence (both Marvel and especially Disney), that the movie has around the world. Promoting this movie was a blast, to say the least! The marketing was spot on and did what was right for almost everyone (even though some of the posters look too Photoshoppy). It's motivating and really essential that from now on almost everyone became invested in MCU and shows a great interest in the upcoming new Phase 2-related films. It's very exciting when you have not only the devoted and fantastic Marvel fan-base on your side, but also a general audience (along with so-called fans on Tumblr). Really gets things going, if you ask me) 7 years in the making - 2 years of planning the script (thanks to the genius of Joss Whedon) and in the end, you get one of the best MCU and comic book movies ever!

Congratulations to all involved in The Avengers for the huge success story it has become, both critically and at the box office. And hopefully the success will continue. Crucially, the film is GOOD, and so good word of mouth and the repeat viewing dollar should ensure the film has serious legs rather than a hot opening weekend followed by a steep drop. That's how you make the big money.

More than anything, I'm really happy for Joss Whedon. I've been a fan of his for years, but for such a long time I've had to endure snooty critics and detractors talk about how he's just a quirky niche guy with a vocal but small cult following, who was exalted amongst his little tribe of devotees but who didn't have the tools to ever in his life make an actual major mainstream hit. So to have his name on such a huge movie... it must be really gratifying for him.

If only you knew how happy everyone is with the results and the overall presence (both Marvel and especially Disney), that the movie has around the world. Promoting this movie was a blast, to say the least! The marketing was spot on and did what was right for almost everyone (even though some of the posters look too Photoshoppy). It's motivating and really essential that from now on almost everyone became invested in MCU and shows a great interest in the upcoming new Phase 2-related films. It's very exciting when you have not only the devoted and fantastic Marvel fan-base on your side, but also a general audience (along with so-called fans on Tumblr). Really gets things going, if you ask me) 7 years in the making - 2 years of planning the script (thanks to the genius of Joss Whedon) and in the end, you get one of the best MCU and comic book movies ever!

That's Awesome RIM!
I love seeing folks on FB who have had ZERO interest in CBMs and comics in general, RAVE about this movie.
Couple of Females with posts like 'marry me Cap!' and 'I worship Thor now!' bring a smile to my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"