The Relationship Thread: Because Superhero Forums are Full of Sexperts! - - Part 31

@Flash525, Nope, still not getting who you are referring too ? PM me if it's something I should know about, I think I'm being thick. I get the point that unless it's on FB, it's not 'official' in this day and age, but I'm not sure if you are referring to a couple on here you helped get 'together', I'm all confused, sorry.

This means nothing in the grand scheme of things; they could’ve swiped right on numerous profiles.

Most Women have better things to do than to our all the guys that have wronged them, and even then, some women probably just don’t care.

I think you’re like me, a decent guy with principles and morals that simply hasn’t found themselves in the right situation, environment or circumstances. We’d probably do better in the real world through meeting people in activity or social groups, but we’re too afraid or uncertain enough to leave our comfort zone.

True but I feel if you're going to swipe right on someone make sure you have a strong interest is all. I do understand people playing the numbers game too.

I've had a bit better luck in the real world as you put it. I definitely need to push myself to leave my comfort zone for sure. My problem is I'm not the funny guy. I'm better with real conversation rsther than talking out of my ass all the time. Plus my sense of humor is being a smartass. The kind of smartass where it won't go over well via text. Like you need to be in person to see the person's face and hear their tone of voice.

@Flash525, Nope, still not getting who you are referring too ? PM me if it's something I should know about, I think I'm being thick. I get the point that unless it's on FB, it's not 'official' in this day and age, but I'm not sure if you are referring to a couple on here you helped get 'together', I'm all confused, sorry.
It’s not important. Don’t worry about it. :cool:

True but I feel if you're going to swipe right on someone make sure you have a strong interest is all.
Thats really not how the ‘swiping game’ works. I’ve always thought of it as potential interest; you aren’t going to know about an actual interest until you’re getting to know someone, and any judgement before that is likely based on appearance as few women seem to actually write a bio on swiping apps these days. I guess they don’t need too. One way or the other, they’re going to get matches.

I've had a bit better luck in the real world as you put it. I definitely need to push myself to leave my comfort zone for sure. My problem is I'm not the funny guy. I'm better with real conversation rsther than talking out of my ass all the time. Plus my sense of humor is being a smartass. The kind of smartass where it won't go over well via text. Like you need to be in person to see the person's face and hear their tone of voice.
There’s a connection between being a smartass and talking out of your ass.. ;):p If you know you’ve done better in the real world and your humour works better there, why are you wasting time in the virtual one? If you’ve had luck in the real world as implied, go out and use it.

If you know you’ve done better in the real world and your humour works better there, why are you wasting time in the virtual one?

Maybe it's becasuse people have lost their game (?) many guys do not how "woo" and many women do not know how to enbrance it and the virtual dating somehow, takes all that away. The good and the bad.

TRUE! But that stands for every written exchange, you get only one aspect of it.

I wouldn't say every written exchange necessarily. When you're having a normal conversation without any kind of major humor or primarily sarcasm it's usually straightforward and easy to understand.

I can only speak from recent experience but I'd been speaking to the person I'm dating currently for around 6-8 weeks before we met and it's helped enormously in the whole 'getting to know you' way and that was all through (and still is, we talk every evening) on POF's messaging system, and so the 'woo-ing' has felt natural on both sides in fairness, we click really well in 'natural' conversation and yes whilst it helps we have a shared sense of humour, the 'laughs' have felt natural, all off not seeing each other's facial reactions or voice, prior to our first date.

I can only speak from recent experience but I'd been speaking to the person I'm dating currently for around 6-8 weeks before we met and it's helped enormously in the whole 'getting to know you' way and that was all through (and still is, we talk every evening) on POF's messaging system, and so the 'woo-ing' has felt natural on both sides in fairness, we click really well in 'natural' conversation and yes whilst it helps we have a shared sense of humour, the 'laughs' have felt natural, all off not seeing each other's facial reactions or voice, prior to our first date.

I get it, but I was referring to "face-to-face" wooing, not through the computer/cellphone.

Face-to-face wooing at a bar, spontaneously, no Tinder, no Instagram, no previous contact. That's what I mean.

Virtual dating has messed that up.

Face-to-face wooing at a bar, spontaneously, no Tinder, no Instagram, no previous contact. That's what I mean.

Virtual dating has messed that up.

I agree.

I was at a bar last night and surprisingly enough the girl sitting next to me started talking to me first. We were going back and forth for quite awhile before her friend showed up. I'm not socially inept or anything but yeah, I don't do well on the Apps. Not to mention they really are about looks first. At a public place you can start a convo and actually get your foot in the door to have a chance for them to get to know you instead of them possibly swiping left right off the bat.

My wife and I talked on the phone to each other for 3 weeks before we ever went out on a date. Coming up on our 20th wedding anniversary.

Open question! Do you allow yourself to be affectionate? Or, are you affectionate?

Open question! Do you allow yourself to be affectionate? Or, are you affectionate?

Open reply, being that I used to hate myself and believed I didn't deserve anyone and thus had a fear of sexual contact, fear of being naked in front of anyone and couldn't cope with the thought of being naked in front of someone, no I couldn't be, until I learnt to deal with all that. As a person, I'm very tactile and I'm a born romantic and so I am affectionate yes but it's taken years to get my head round my fear of sex.

I think intimacy which includes being affectionate with your partner is important and should be established pretty early on.

I was not referring to being intimate, more to PDA or not even publicly. As I'm saying what you really feel, or hug your partner, etc.

Maybe affectionate was not the best word(?). Sorry about that.

Physical contact? I still feel the same. Touching, hugging, close contact, etc.

I wouldn't say every written exchange necessarily. When you're having a normal conversation without any kind of major humor or primarily sarcasm it's usually straightforward and easy to understand.
You still need an element of chemistry though, some people just don't have the slightest of shared interests. There's some people, specifically at work that I can't speak too, not because I dislike them, but because I have nothing in common with them at all.

Whilst (from your experience) isn't wrong, it's subjective, isn't it?

Some people seem to want to get the meet and greet out the way as soon as possible, others are quite happy to (or prefer to) talk for a few weeks before meeting. I suppose there's pros and cons to both elements there; if you meet too soon, there may not be an established foundation to work from, but then if you put it off for too long, conversation may dry up and the date doesn't ever take place (although in these instances, I figure if the conversation does dry up, the date wouldn't have worked out anyway).

On the flip side, people who meet spontaneously don't have the written context of getting to know each other before their date; they just meet and get the ball rolling. If we take away the websites and dating apps, that's what people would need to do. There'd be no time for writing each other for weeks on end because the only thing (to do) would be to meet, talk, and get to know someone the old fashioned way.

All dating apps and websites (seem to) do is two things;
  1. Expand ones options; you may meet someone who you'd normally not ever interact with.
  2. Makes it easier for certain people who meet up for fun. Less pressure to do that on a dating app than in person.

I was at a bar last night and surprisingly enough the girl sitting next to me started talking to me first. We were going back and forth for quite awhile before her friend showed up. I'm not socially inept or anything but yeah, I don't do well on the Apps. Not to mention they really are about looks first. At a public place you can start a convo and actually get your foot in the door to have a chance for them to get to know you instead of them possibly swiping left right off the bat.
And so to repeat my previous question, why are you so concerned with Tinder (and the like) when you've obviously got the confidence to speak to strangers at a bar?

I'd (somewhat) get it if someone was an introvert and swiping apps were their only means of gaining potential attention, but (respectfully) you seem to be getting a little overworked up about the swiping apps when you have other opportunities and settings from where to draw potential attention from.

Also, to clarify from my previous post, I wasn't calling you a smartass, nor implying you were an ass, hah. It really needs clarification of what you mean by being a smartass. I should've asked that maybe. Why don't you think your humour translates well via messaging? I get that sarcasm can go unnoticed, but (in my experience) people that often don't recognise it, or aren't at least aware of the potential aren't going to get it anyway.

The few women I've spoken too on dating apps and websites, I've dropped the odd funny/sarcastic line, and you can usually tell whether they get it or not. Suffice to say those that haven't usually end up the same unaware (or sparkless) people in person.

@Flash525 question is: did we answer your question???
My question was answered, yes, thank you.

If we're not talking intimacy, then you mean caring, empathic, warm? I'd say yes. I hug my parents, and some friends (more those I don't see regularly) and sometimes at the start/end of a date. You know a bit more about my real life (don't tell anyone about my British secret service stuff please) so you know that I give a damn about people/life etc.

I was not referring to being intimate, more to PDA or not even publicly. As I'm saying what you really feel, or hug your partner, etc.

Maybe affectionate was not the best word(?). Sorry about that.

In re-answering this, in view of the re-definition as such, then yes I am very affectionate by way of vocalising how I feel about the other person and touch, hugs etc. in public but not making either of us uncomfortable or for that matter anyone around us. There are boundaries and limitations, plus the 'cuddles' need to be saved for when it's just you together in private moments and places.

You still need an element of chemistry though, some people just don't have the slightest of shared interests. There's some people, specifically at work that I can't speak too, not because I dislike them, but because I have nothing in common with them at all.

And so to repeat my previous question, why are you so concerned with Tinder (and the like) when you've obviously got the confidence to speak to strangers at a bar?

Also, to clarify from my previous post, I wasn't calling you a smartass, nor implying you were an ass, hah. It really needs clarification of what you mean by being a smartass. I should've asked that maybe. Why don't you think your humour translates well via messaging? I get that sarcasm can go unnoticed, but (in my experience) people that often don't recognise it, or aren't at least aware of the potential aren't going to get it anyway.

The few women I've spoken too on dating apps and websites, I've dropped the odd funny/sarcastic line, and you can usually tell whether they get it or not. Suffice to say those that haven't usually end up the same unaware (or sparkless) people in person.

Oh I'm well aware you need an element of chemistry. When it comes to the dating apps it's because it's a cheaper way to meet someone. At bars you're spending money on drinks every time you go out. With the apps you can possibly meet a number of women get to know them a bit via texting and then if you decide to meet up then you spend a bit of money. Whether it's a small lunch meetup or go out for coffee as a few examples. I am pushing myself away from the apps though. A large percentage of women who use them in my neck of the woods really aren't my type and I don't think I'm theirs either. Hahaha

I know you weren't calling me an ass. :D By smart ass I mean I like to talk a bit of friendly s*** if I get the right vibe from the person I'm talking to. I just need to rein it in at times. Basically, it's heavy sarcasm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"