The Dark Knight Rises You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I do remember that he wrote an intro for TLH and that must have been what made me think that he was a fan of it when he was younger (but it has been a while since I read it, so I forget if he mentioned how old he was when he read it). Again, working on memory here, but I think I remember reading that Chris and his brother were fans of Batman when they were younger. If that was the case, it must have been just of the 60s show.

If it did bomb, it was only with critics who didn't get it, and with people who don't expect Batman to be funny. We all know Goyer wrote that joke anyway.

From what I understand Jonathan Nolan was the "comic book geek" between the two. He had read Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween, etc. and recommended which ones Chris needed to read.

He also had a major influence on the sequels, I believe while the idea of a physical threat/Bane and the LOS returning came from Chris and Goyer, it was Jonathan who introduced the social upheaval/No Man's Land elements. Jonathan Nolan is also the one who insisted on doing Catwoman, which worked out because even people who dislike TDKR generally agree Catwoman was great in that movie, and she is also noticeably closer to the modern Selina Kyle in comics if you overlook the fact that she doesn't actually call herself a cat.

31%. Unreal! And the audience score is dropping, too. It was 85% yesterday. It's 78% today.

If anyone had told us that it would get this low a score I wouldn't have believed it for a second.

So he says he's a comic book guy, then he proceeds to immediately talk about adapting the aesthetics.

Didn't someone mention just a few posts ago that he probably just skimmed Returns? Talk about perfect timing.

Poor guy. I do believe he means well and isn't the total *****ebag people make him out to be, so I kinda feel bad.

Setting the negative reviews aside, if this thing is somehow a financial dud and garners a largely negative reaction from the GA, I'm personally laying the blame more so on WB than him. They knew what they were getting into and could expect from Snyder with films beyond MOS, so it was ultimately their gamble by leaving these properties in his hands.

I imagine this might happen if the movie doesn't earn the $1+ billion.
tumblr_o4jjb5MLuL1tbealgo1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_o4jjb5MLuL1tbealgo2_400.gif

tumblr_o4jjb5MLuL1tbealgo3_400.gif

I've been saying to friends and internet forums that this movie looked like a prety big mess since before production had even started. Knowing Snyder's resume and the studio's desire to fast track this and shoehorn the Justice League in it in order to compete with the current MCU trend were only a few indications they hadn't put much thought and vision behind this whole Cinematic Universe prospect. Though even I have to admit I really did not expect it to hit that low in terms of reviews and audience reaction. But I'd hardly call it a surprise. I think all signs were there, people were just choosing to ignore them.

You don't get to hide behind 'comic book guy' label when you can't even display basic understanding of the comic books you claim you love.

Contrast that with the Russo Bros.; these guys never claim to be 'comic book guys' yet their interviews are downright scary in how they display an almost encyclopedic knowledge of Captain America comics.

"Comic book guy" is a label kinda like "hard worker". The ones who could describe themselves as such the most are usually not the ones to brag about it.

I just don't want the most anticipated comic book movie ever to be in the hands of someone who has proven himself to be box office poison. Granted all that could change if BvS performs well, but then the conversation of cinematic quality is brought into question.

Do they just continue making films that aren't well received yet still make money? I don't want WB/DC to be that film franchise.

OMG Chip, your avatar has me laughing so hard :lmao:

Making movies with no decent quality but are box office hits is old hat for Hollywood. Michael Bay has made a career out of it.

That guy at least knows his crowd, and apparently his tired old tactics still pleases them, although I can't see why.

As much as it pains me to sayit; Zack Snyder could take a page in that area from Michael Bay.

The general audience seems to look at RT scores a lot more than they did in the past. Both ASM2 and Fantastic Four underwent this. I don't think it's as safe to say the score won't influence the box office that much.

The difference is that Bay doesn't pretend his movies are high art and for grown ups. Bay is less infuriating.

the fact that Zack thought suckerpunch was too complex for some to understand/thought it was ahead of its time just says it all about the guy.

he thinks he's some sort of philosophical genius who's work is misunderstood, when in reality he's just a glorified tv commercial director who made one solid zombie movie and a couple of subpar films based off of graphic novels.

The general audience seems to look at RT scores a lot more than they did in the past. Both ASM2 and Fantastic Four underwent this. I don't think it's as safe to say the score won't influence the box office that much.

Yeah. This RT score is trending on FB and twitter. This bad critical response is spreading. So much so they're already asking the cast and crew about it before the movie has even been released worldwide.

Word is spreading. It can't help the movie's image.

People are ignoring word of mouth. It's likely to be toxic. I wanna see how fast this drops.

the fact that Zack thought suckerpunch was too complex for some to understand/thought it was ahead of its time just says it all about the guy.

he thinks he's some sort of philosophical genius who's work is misunderstood, when in reality he's just a glorified tv commercial director who made one solid zombie movie and a couple of subpar films based off of graphic novels.

He's also currently in works to adapt Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. You just described the protagonist in that book (no joke).

Yeah. Snyder also happens to be an Objectivist. Which actually explain a whole lot.

I don't think he's ever stated to be an Objectivist, but given he's a big fan of her book it wouldn't be a surprise. Plus it really does explain a lot, like you said, especially his comments towards a selfless character like Superman.

Snyder's comment about being a "comic book guy" is kinda insulting the more I think of it. It implies "comic book guys" don't share an interest in storytelling and would resort to making more-or-less same decisions his movie does. It's as if there's no such thing as "comic book guys" that managed to pull off both.

Last edited:
Hazifbat brought up a great point in the BvS boards. It's ironic how someone like Nolan, who originally knew nothing of the character, can give fans a more beloved version than a hardcore comic book fan like Snyder. Even if we ignore storytelling and just focus on characterization, this still applies (then again, Snyder seems to be more of a Frank Miller fan).

Kinda flips people's perceptions on their heads.

This is the embarrassing thing about it. Zack Snyder is supposedly a huge comic book fan and yet he thinks turning Batman and Superman into Watchmen characters is a great idea. WTF?!!! Watchmen is a deconstruction of superheroes and a huge criticism of their potential existence. World's Finest or JLA movie should be a celebration of these heroes, more like The Avengers and not Watchmen.

Burton/Nolan/Donner all seemed to stay more true to the spirit of the characters even as they made alterations. Hell, even Schumacher was more faithful to the heroic aspect of it.

Alan Moore said one of his biggest regrets was making Watchmen. He thought idiots took the wrong message from it and almost ruined the industry (90's grimdark movement).

He must be regretting it all over again.

I'm in the theater. 30.minutes to go. I feel oddly serene about whatever is coming.

See you gents on the other side.

Enjoy Batlobster. Be brutally honest when you return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"